Chapter Four

It Lives
Please log in to read the full chapter
Chapter Four

 

The morning passed by quicker than Soo Young could have hoped for. Her English teacher was the only one who made her stand in front of the class and introduce herself. Soo Young stammered some, blushed some, and tripped over her own boots on the way to her seat. Excluding how she embarrassed herself in English, the first half of the day hadn't been all that bad. Classes were slow since it was the first day, so she was able to relax a bit and she blended in better than she imagined she would. And no one was so curious about her that they went out of their way to speak to her.

Except for a boy in her second class who was really curious about what it was like to live in America. He had raven black hair and a chipped front tooth and he was so full of aegyo that Soo Young wanted to dip him in chlorine to wipe some of it away.

Now she followed Yeri to the cafeteria. Music trickled over the loudspeakers and students jostled her around as they fought for their food and a place to sit.

“It’s really crowded in here,” Soo Young mentioned to her redheaded friend.

Yeri glanced back, “Yeah, it’s because, since we're such a small school, all four grades eat lunch together.”

Soo Young wasn’t at all surprised by that.

“Let’s get our lunch quickly, there are a few open spots over there,” Ye-rim pointed to a table in the corner, “Oh, never mind. That’s that weird kid's table…”

Soo Young looked over to where she had pointed and sure enough, E’dawn sat, cross-legged on the top of the table, scribbling into a worn, leather-bound book. As a couple of freshmen moved to sit beside him he glared at them. Upon meeting his gaze the freshman tripped over themselves, almost dropping their lunches on the floor in their attempt to get away from him. Soo Young glanced back at her friend who was now busily scanning the room for any other open seats.

“You know Hyo-ju- I mean E’dawn?”

“I know of him. He’s really weird and hates just about everyone and everything.”

“I didn't think you'd be scared of him.”

“I’m not scared, in fact, I find him chillingly attractive. But he also looks like a psycho and I want to keep all my body parts.”

Soo Young laughed. It seemed that Ye-rim wasn't the badass she’d set herself out to be. How could she be afraid of E’dawn? Apparently, he was known around the school for dabbling in “dark arts”, whatever that meant, but it was all a hoax. None of that stuff was real so why did she act as if it was? Soo Young looked back at E’dawn abruptly. But if it was real, he'd be the one to know. E’dawn glanced up and noticed Soo Young staring at him. He motioned his head to the empty spot beside him.

Soo Young glanced at the lunch line, it was moving pretty slowly. She should have enough time to ask E’dawn her question before Yeri reached the front.

“Hey Yeri, I’ll be right back, hold my spot for me will you?”

“Where are you going-”

Soo Young stepped out of the lunch line, not bothering to answer her friend. Maybe she could talk to E’dawn about what had happened to her last night. He knew about all kinds of supernatural stuff so surely he would know something about this. She'd been weary all morning, the nights' events replaying in the back of her mind. It would be nice to tell it to someone who would believe her. Passing by a few other students she pushed past the tables until she finally made it to him. Sitting down beside him she asked him where Ye-rin ran off to.

“She’s with her nerd friends.”

“You guys seem like you're still close.”

E’dawn shrugged, “I make sure no one takes advantage of her and in return, she bakes me cookies.”

Soo Young laughed but when she glanced at his straight face the laughter in died, “Oh, you're being serious?”

He nodded. They sat in silence for a few minutes as Soo Young contemplated whether or not she should even confide in him. After all, this was the first time they’d spoken in years. She didn't even know him anymore. Before she could make a decision he glanced over and nudged her.

“So, you gonna tell me what you're so freaked out about? Or are you having fun dismembering that poor textbook?”

“Huh?” Soo Young glanced down and realized she’d been picking at the edges of her run down calculus textbook. She had nearly dis-attached the front cover, “I do want to tell you it’s just… It’s a really weird story…”

“Joy, look at me. Weird is my middle name.”

She smiled, “You know what's weird is having people call me that. I haven't heard that nickname since I was a kid.”

He eyed her without saying a word and she sighed, “I think… I think I saw some kind of monster last night…” As soon as the words left she realized how stupid they sounded and winced.

“What did you see?” From the look on his face, he was in no way judging her and she was grateful for that.

“Actually it… it looked a lot like Yeo Changgu.”

“Changgu? You mean Yeo One?”

“Is that what he’s going by these days? I don't know… But, once I figured out that thing wasn't Changgu it attacked me. Then its face melted off and- I think it was made of dirt underneath.”

“A Golem,” E’dawn stated matter-of-factly.

“What's that?”

“A humanoid form usually crafted from dirt or clay. It’s usually animated by a supernatural force or energy. In other words, it’s a figure brought to life by magic. Or at least that's what your mystery creature sounds like to me.”

Soo Young nodded, “But you know, the weirdest thing was that I woke up the next morning and it was gone. If it was real, why would it attack me and then just leave?”

“Maybe whatever power that animated it is temporary. Or maybe it was all just a dream.”

Soo Young shuddered, reaching a trembling hand to her neck, “Do you believe dreams can leave bruises?”

“I know they can.”

Soo Young thought back to her quick internet search that morning, “Like the Nocebo Effect?”

E’dawn frowned and shook his head, “What? No, not that scientific bull. I mean that there are actual beings who can enter your dreams. One of them could possibly even use those dreams to hurt you. Or you could be under a curse. I’ve read a lot about those.”

“What? Just for fun?” She teased trying to lighten the suddenly gloomy mood she'd put herself in by thinking about the thing from last night.

“Sure.”

Soo Young shook her head, “E’dawn, you're so different from the little boy I used to know. You're a bit strange now you know that?”

“Only a little? That hurts my feelings.”

She laughed, and looked into his dark eyes, “Thank you. I really needed to talk to someone but no one else would have believed me.”

“Yeah, the jury’s still out on me believing you. For all I know, you've teamed up with the Marionettes and are just screwing with me.”

“The marionettes?”

“Those lovely classmates of ours, the ones from this morning.”

“As if.” Is that what people were calling them? The name fit--for the group of rich beauties who were walking around like tools of society, “But seriously, thanks.”

“Glad I could help.”

“Well, I better get back to my friend. If she gets to the front of the line I’ll miss my chance to get my food. Though I wouldn't put it past her to hold up the line until I get there.”

Soo Young picked up her bag and textbook and stood, “Hey, Joy.”

She turned around at the sound of her name, “Yeah?”

“I’m glad you're back, it looks like things are gonna liven up around here.” E’dawn smiled, showing a row of straight, white teeth. He became boyish for a second and she couldn't believe people were honestly scared of him. She smiled in return and continued on her way.

The crowd had calmed down now as almost everyone was already seated. Soo Young glanced around for a glimpse of Yeri’s red blood curls and spotted her three students from the front. She quickly made her way over and slipped in beside her.

“Where'd you go?” Yeri asked when she glanced up from her cell phone.

“I had to ask someone something.”

They both got their lunches and stood in the front of the room scanning the crowd for an empty seat. Suddenly, Soo Young heard someone call out to her and when s

Please log in to read the full chapter