The Girl From Durmstrang 5

Magic Runs in Our Veins [The Girl From Dumstrang 7]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: Another update!

Wrote this in a storm of haze and then didn't bother proofreading. Plot was made as I went along, so if it didn't make sense, oops. 

Jessica eyed the rows of books, all somewhat haphazardly stacked against each other in a way that reminded her of a contained mess. Organized chaos. The rest of the room looked the same, with quills and random parchments strewn across the desk that was pushed up against the wall and several objects randomly placed throughout the ground. Though a mess at first sight, everything seemed to have its place and order.

 

She stepped up closer to the bookshelf until she could read the words off the books’ spines. A quick scan told her that the book she was looking for wasn’t among the books present. No, the book the she wanted wouldn’t just be out here in the open. Her eyes surveyed the room again. Where would she hide a forbidden book away from students’ eyes?

 

“Looking for something, Miss Jung?”

 

Jessica whirled around and tried her best not to look like she had just been caught sneaking inside the man’s office. Professor Lee merely smiled at her though, more amused than suspicious that she was invading his privacy like a nosy rat.

 

“Professor Lee,” Jessica greeted the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Her mind fought for an excuse but they were all weak and flimsy. Shouldn’t he be at dinner right now? Why was he here? Everyone in the entire castle of Hogwarts should have been at dinner right now, all eagerly awaiting the announcement that came after dinner.

 

“Perhaps, I can help,” Professor Lee smiled again, though it did anything but reassure Jessica. Sure, out of all the professors here at Hogwarts, Professor Lee always treated her the nicest, but she couldn’t help but be on edge. A Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher favoring a student whose only defense against the dark arts was more dark arts? Their specialties were practically the opposite of each other. It made no sense to Jessica that Professor Lee would take a liking to her.

 

“What are you looking for?” Professor Lee asked once Jessica didn’t respond. “A book, I presume?” He walked up until he was standing by the other bookshelf near the door and randomly picked out a book, lazily flipping through his pages.

 

“What is it you want to learn? Werewolves, vampires, lethifolds, inferis. I have a book for all of them.” He scanned the books, tapping the ones he mentioned with his wand to point them out.

 

“Or perhaps you’re more interested in spells? I have over twenty books on jinxes, hexes, and curses. Several more on their counter spells. A few on the theory behind the dark arts and its defense.” He stopped turning to look at Jessica. “But I doubt that’s anything that you don’t already know,” he stated pointedly.

 

And from him, it didn’t seem accusatory, unlike if any other professor had said the same thing to her. From him, it just sounded like he was stating a fact. A true fact, Jessica acknowledged. Most of these books did contain information that she already knew, as a young kid in fact.

 

“I am looking for a book,” Jessica stated. Her eyes met his evenly. “Madam Archer said I should ask you. She was under the impression that you had a copy.”

 

Professor Lee’s smile widened at her words. “So you’ve managed to crack Madam Archer’s hard shell after all. You’ll have to tell me about it someday. I’ve never really seen her have a soft spot for a student, no matter how curious or intellectual their mind was, until you came along.” He walked forward, pausing until he stood a couple feet in front of Jessica. His hands folded over his body.

 

“So tell me, Miss Jung. What book were you looking for?” His eyes twinkled with unspoken words that Jessica had a hard time picking up. But he didn’t seem to be mad at her and that was a good sign.

 

“It’s a history book,” Jessica revealed dumbly, wondering how she should explain her reason for soughting after this book or should she even tell him her reason. Would he ask?

 

“Ah, then perhaps you might have better luck inquiring Professor Binns. He is the one who teaches the subject after all. I’m afraid I don’t have many books on history. It never really fascinated me as a kid, you see,” Professor Lee rambled teasingly, knowing that Jessica is buying her time.

 

“It’s on the history of families,” Jessica cut in, her tone sharper then she’d intended. “Families with ties to...the dark arts,” Jessica finished. She felt like an open book under Professor Lee’s knowing eyes. It was probably obvious to Professor Lee at this point exactly why she was so interested in this book.

 

“Ah,” Professor Lee nodded. “So the young Jung is curious about her own kin.” He unfolded his hands, revealing his wand and flicked it once. Jessica could hear several locks unlocking and a few thumping noises from the corner of the room before a book floated over, resting itself in Professor Lee’s hands.

 

Jessica eyed the book hungrily.

 

“Normally, I would never admit to having this book, let alone reveal it to a student.” His eyes pierced Jessica’s. “But I do trust you,” Professor Lee admitted quietly, shocking Jessica. “And apparently so does Madam Archer.”

 

Jessica swallowed, not knowing what to say. Only moments ago she was sneaking around in his study trying to steal a book from him and here he was telling her he trusted her.

 

“I am only giving you this book because I believe that your intentions are good,” Professor Lee continued softly. His eyes were kind and reassuring but Jessica felt bare under their scrutiny all the same.

 

“I do think you have a good heart, Jessica, regardless of what magic comes out of your wand or what your family is known for,” Professor Lee pressed. He held out the book towards her and Jessica eyed it, hesitating for only a moment before walking forward and receiving it.

 

“Use it well,” Professor Lee nodded towards the book. “And don’t let anyone else read it.”

 

Jessica nodded, holding the book close to her chest. “I won’t,” she promised.

 

“Good. Now if you hurry, you’ll still be able to make it in time for the announcement.” Professor Lee sat down by his desk, peering humorously at Jessica with twinkling eyes.

 

“R-right,” Jessica stammered, feeling at a loss of words for some reason. “Are you not heading up there as well, Professor?” she asked.

 

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be there Ms. Jung,” Professor Lee laughed, his eyes staring at Jessica. He was clearly waiting for the girl to move. Feeling awkward, Jessica decided it was time she left and joined the crowd upstairs. She knew Taeyeon would want her there for the moment the goblet spat out her name.

 

She had no doubt it would be Taeyeon’s name that would get called. She only hoped she didn’t miss it.

 

“Thank you professor,” Jessica smiled briefly at the old man before making her way out.

 

“And do try to stay out of trouble, Ms. Jung!” she heard Professor Lee call after her as she walked away with brisk steps. “McGonagall’s got her eye on you!”

 

It was meant as a friendly warning. He only wanted to tell her that she had a target on her back. It wasn’t news to Jessica, but the gesture was appreciated. As she made her way up the old stairs, she felt her chest warm. It was nice to have someone looking after her.


 

 

 

 

Tiffany couldn’t eat. She didn’t have an appetite. No matter how delicious the chicken looked or how sweet the pie was, she didn’t have the stomach for any of it. She was too nervous.

 

Just before the dinner, she had pulled up the courage from Merlins knows where to enter her name into the goblet.

 

She closed her eyes shut and took a deep breath.

 

Merlins, why was she so nervous. It wasn’t like she was going to be picked anyways, right? There were so many other better options. Hyoyeon, to name one.

 

She didn’t even know if she wanted to be Hogwarts’ champion. Half of her wanted to be the one that was called, to be the one to represent Hogwarts and lead her school to glory. The other half just wanted to enjoy the tournament like everybody else and not have to deal with all the dangers and riddles that came with it.

 

Her gaze went to the Gryffindor table where sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter