The Girl From Durmstrang 7

Magic Runs in Our Veins [The Girl From Dumstrang 7]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"The first task is designed to test your daring; Courage in the face of the unknown is an important quality in a wizard."

           - JK Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

 

 

 

“I don’t know if I can do this,” Tiffany said suddenly in the middle of one of her usual practice duels with Hyoyeon. After the crew spent nearly an entire month in the library trying to learn everything about everything they could get their hands on, they’d decided it was time for a more hands on approach. After all, knowledge can only take a wizard so far in a test of courage.

 

“What in Merlin’s beard does that mean?” Hyoyeon huffed, lowering her wand as she wiped off the sweat on her forehead with the back of her hand. She had an inkling about the conversation that was going to happen and she didn’t like it.

 

“I mean,” Tiffany gestured her arms wildly to nothing in particular. “This. This tournament. Being champion. This pressure. It’s too much.”

 

“Tiffany, the first task is tomorrow,” said Hyoyeon pointedly. “Tiffany, we’ve talked about this,” she sighed when Tiffany didn’t budge. She was tired of having to deal with this insecurity. Tiffany was a god damned bloody good witch. If only her friend could see it.

 

“I know,” Tiffany insisted. “But why me? There are tons of people who are better than me? You for example.”

 

“Aghhhhh,” Hyoyeon grabbed her hair frustration. She marched up to the frustrating redhead. “How can I get it into your thick skull.” Poke. “That there is literally.” Poke. “No one else.” Poke. “Who can better represent Hogwarts than you? Up-up-up. Zip it. I’m talking,” Hyoyeon silenced Tiffany when the other girl opened to protest.

 

“Look,” Hyoyeon sighed, calming down. “The Goblet of Fire, for whatever reason, chose you. Not me. Not your brother. You. And though I don’t understand why,” Hyoyeon threw her arms up in the air in frustration. “I don’t doubt it’s choice. The goblet is like this very, very old artifact that was made with some very old, very powerful magic and if it says you’re the champion of Hogwarts, then you’re the champion of Hogwarts. End of story.”

 

When Tiffany still didn’t look convinced, Hyoyeon continued, her voice and face softer than before.

 

“Everyone here at Hogwarts believes in you. And not just because the goblet chose you, but because we know you. We’ve spent seven years together. Seven years. Think about it. We know what you’re capable of, and we know how brilliant of a witch you are. Tiffany, you’re it for us. You’re our champion.”

 

Hyoyeon stared into the eyes of the redhead. She could tell that her words were finally starting to have some effect. Tiffany was finally starting to come to terms with the whole champion thing.

 

‘About time, Fany-ah,’ Hyoyeon thought exasperatedly. This past month had been very draining for her. She’d never given so much emotional support before.

 

“You just need to have courage. Isn’t that literally what the first task is about? Tiffany, I know you’re a Hufflepuff and I’m the Gryffindor here, but all you need is a little bravery, a little self confidence and you’ll be unstoppable. So tomorrow, we need you to go out there, and do your very freaking best. Because you’re the best that Hogwarts has to offer. We believe in you. Headmaster Lee believes in you. You just gotta believe in you,” Hyoyeon asserted.

 

Tiffany offered Hyoyeon a small smile.

 

“Yeah?” Hyoyeon prodded.

 

“Yeah,” Tiffany let out quietly before laughing. “Thanks, I needed that, Hyo.”

 

“Of course, what are friends for?” Hyoyeon grinned before dropping her shoulders in relief. The last thing they needed was an insecure champion. “Now get back into position. We have a duel to finish.”

 

“Gladly,” Tiffany mirrored the smirk on her friend’s face, her confidence back.

 

 

 

“Is she still not talking to you?” Sooyoung asked over dinner. The brunette next to her refused to answer her question.

 

“I guess I have my answer then,” Sooyoung huffed, eyes roaming towards the Ravenclaw table where the topic of their conversation sat reading a book. Sooyoung wondered if she stared hard enough would Jessica sense her and look up.

 

“Well, she’s not talking to you either,” Taeyeon countered grumpily.

 

“Wow this must be a record,” Sooyoung noted. “I don’t think I’ve seen you guys not talk to each other for more than a week.”

 

“Shut up,” Taeyeon mumbled into her cup. “And we are not fighting,” she insisted unconvincingly. “We are just...dealing with our differences.”

 

“Sure,” Sooyoung deadpanned before leaning in closer. “You sure you don’t want to cave in and be the first to talk to her? The first task is tomorrow and if you die, you’ll never get to make up with your best friend.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she stabbed the lamb chop on her plate violently. “I am not going to die.”

 

“1871. Durmstrang champion, beaten to death by a giant. 1912. Hogwarts champion drank a wrongly brewed potion and choked to death. 1934. Durmstrang student cursed to death when hit by two simultaneous curses from the other two champions. The side effects of the combined curse caused his heart to literally implode inside his body. 1956. Beauxbaton student poisoned by venomous fangs. Her heart failed in less than twenty three seconds.”

 

“Okay, that’s enough,” Taeyeon scowled.

 

“All on the first task too. There were more deaths in the other tasks as well,” Sooyoung added, proud of her knowledge. “But seriously, you’re going to continue ignoring her?”
 

“She won’t help me!” Taeyeon insisted stubbornly, before pointing her fork at the taller girl. “Besides I don’t see you trying. She’s ignoring you too!”

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes. “This isn't about me,” she deflected. “This is about you two. Besides, I’m not the one dying tomorrow.”

 

“I’m not dying!” Taeyeon almost shouted, causing Sooyoung to raise her hands in defense. A couple of students turned their heads toward them at the commotion, the blonde not being one of them.

 

“Whatever. But don’t lie to yourself. You know you would feel better if you talked to her before the first task. She would root for you, you know, regardless of whatever school she’s in.”

All Sooyoung got in reply was a long sigh. She shook her head silently in disappointment. She’d done her job. It was up to the midget now to make amends. She sipped her pumpkin juice.

 

‘This stuff is much better than the Kvas they serve at Durmstrang. Dang, why can’t we have pumpkin juice? Instead all we get is bread soda.’

 

 

 

 

A layer of sweat sheened atop Tiffany’s forehead as she forced another Knockback jinx out of her wand. The practice dummy at the end of the dueling strip flew nearly twenty feet backwards.

 

After Hyoyeon left to rest, Tiffany stayed behind and battered the dummy with so many curses, hexes, and jinxes that it was shredded to the point of unrecognizability. The caster however, was not in any better shape, exhausted into a panting mess.

 

‘Tomorrow’s the first task,’ Tiffany thought, the adrenaline rushing through her veins as her muscles ached. ‘I have to be ready for anything.’

 

With that mindset, she shot one last Trip Jinx at the dummy before collapsing onto her knees in exhaustion.

 

Man she was weak. She should’ve listened to Hyoyeon and worked on her wandwork and physique earlier. Instead here she was, lacking stamina. How was she going to survive tomorrow?

 

“You should go to sleep.”

 

A quiet clear voice interrupted Tiffany’s brief respite. She looked up and was surprised to see none other than the now infamous Jessica Jung looking at her with, were those eyes of concern?

 

Impossible.

 

Instinctively, Tiffany’s lips formed into a scowl. She pushed herself off the ground, not wanting to appear weak in front of the Ravenclaw. What did Jessica Jung want with her?

 

“What are you doing here?” Tiffany spat out, harsher than she intended. This was only their first direct encounter ever. She didn’t know why she felt so strongly against the blonde or why her presence riled her up so much. All she knew was that every time she saw her or Taeyeon, she was reminded of the cruelty of their duel.

 

‘The blood, the darkness. Magic that should not have been used.’

 

“Are you here to spy on me some more?” Tiffany asked haughtily, trying to appear nonplussed at Jessica’s appearance. If the blonde thought her presence in the library wasn’t noticed by Tiffany, she was wrong. Tiffany was always hyper aware of the Ravenclaw’s presence. Tiffany had a hard time concentrating on the books in front of her whenever the blonde was in the library which was almost always.

 

‘I can’t believe I had a semi-crush on her. Ugh. Curse that pretty face of hers.’

 

Tiffany saw Jessica’s face scrunch into a slight scowl before it quickly smoothed over. Jessica sighed, surprising Tiffany with the expression on her face.

 

“Why does everyone think I’m spying on you for Taeyeon or Durmstrang?” Jessica muttered exasperatedly to herself. “We’re not even talking if you hadn’t noticed,” Jessica stated dryly as she looked pointedly at Tiffany.

 

Though Tiffany felt sheepish as she had in fact noticed Jessica ignoring the Durmstrang students, she didn’t allow it to show on her face. She took a deep breath, hoping to bring her turmoil of emotions under control. She briefly wondered why the blonde was ignoring her friends. It clearly was a one sided effort as Tiffany had seen Taeyeon stare longingly at the blonde many times. (She heard that the Durmstrang student only sat in on sixth year classes too instead of seventh year classes just to see the blonde.)

 

‘What could they be fighting about?’

 

When Jessica still didn’t leave right away and instead stood there staring at her, Tiffany raised an eyebrow.

 

“Do you need something?” she asked rather defensively. She couldn’t help it. The blonde’s presence was unnerving for some reason. She felt like she was being watched by a hawk, like a prey in the eyes of a predator. She felt like the blonde was sizing her up and for some reason Tiffany found herself wanting to meet whatever expectations Jessica had for her.

 

“You should really rest up for tomorrow. Save your energy. There’s no point in wasting it all now,” Jessica stated quietly.

 

Taken aback back the hint of concern and sincerity in Jessica’s voice, Tiffany shoved away her initial reaction of surprise and scowled at the advice. “Why do you care? Shouldn’t you be rooting for your best friend Taeyeon to win? If I’m weak, doesn’t it make it easier for her? That’s one less competitor to worry about.”

 

‘Seriously, what is up with me? I need to chill,' Tiffany chastised herself but it seemed that had a brain of its own.


 

Jessica rolled her eyes. Why did everyone question her motives?

 

“Whatever. Forget it.” It seemed that Tiffany just wasn’t getting the point that she wasn’t rooting for anyone in particular. Jessica turned around to leave, clearly done fighting Tiffany’s stubbornness. Before she left however, she stopped to say one last thing over her shoulder.

 

“You’ve worked hard these past few months to prepare for the tournam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter