The Girl From Durmstrang

Magic Runs in Our Veins [The Girl From Dumstrang 7]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica didn’t know what to think as the train sped towards her new school, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Her new school robes hung loosely on her thin frame, something she noted right away may become a hindrance should she ever get into a duel. She her sleeves absentmindedly. The silky material was vastly different from the fur coats she was used to. She had yet to decide if this was a welcome change or not.

 

Jessica returned her gaze from the scenery outside back to the book in her hands, ‘Hogwarts: A History’. Since she was going to a new school, she might as well read up as much as she could about it. She had at least four years to make up compared to the rest of the students her age. So for the next two hours, she read in everything she could about the founders, houses, and secret passageways that Hogwarts contained.

 

A part of her wanted to be angry. She was just starting to settle into her old school, just started seeing it as her second home, and now she had to start all over. She didn’t even want to think about making friends, because ugh, she really at social interactions. Plus, if the rumors about Hogwarts students were true, then she wasn’t sure she would fit in. Hogwarts students were known to be a little...wild to put it mildly.

 

While lost in her thoughts and in the book, someone came and knocked on her compartment, informing her that they were going to arrive soon. Jessica gave them a quick nod. She looked outside. In the distance, she could make out the outline of a castle. This was it. This was going to be her new school for the next three years.

 

 

 

Jessica followed the other first years as they shuffled into the Great Hall. She couldn’t help but feel a little out of place considering the fact that she was sixteen and everyone else was only eleven. She completely towered over the little munchkins. It also didn’t help that she was mostly expressionless while the others were wowing and gasping at every little thing - from floating candles to the enchanted ceiling - with bright wide eyes. To some this was their first exposure to magic. But as a pureblood and a fifth year, Jessica was not as impressed.

 

Jessica tried to keep her eyes roaming, never stopping at one thing for too long. She eyed the decoration of the four Houses, the many ghosts that floated around, and the expressions of the professors that sat at the front of the Hall. This way, she wouldn’t have to see the curious looks on people’s faces as she walked by them. Sometimes, she wished she wasn’t so good at reading people.

 

She sat down with the other first years and waited to be sorted. Once everyone else was happily seated with their new House, Headmaster Lee Sooman finally turned to her. Jessica readied herself for all the whispers and gossip that was going to ensue.

 

“This year, Hogwarts is happy to welcome a transfer student from Durmstrang Institute. She will be attending Hogwarts as a fifth year student.” Lee Sooman’s voice rang out loud and clear, magnified by the Sonorous charm. Instantly, hushed whispers broke out throughout the Hall just like Jessica expected. Only the professors remained impassive in their seats, though Jessica could tell that not every professor was as comformtable with the idea. Nearly everyone’s eyes turned to her as it was obvious she was the said transferee. Lee Sooman shot her a comforting warm smile. “Please welcome Jessica Jung! Ms. Jung, if you would kindly come up to the Hat to be sorted.”

 

Jessica stood up. More whispers broke out. Jessica briefly wondered what it was they were all talking about as she walked up to the front. Were they talking about Durmstrang’s reputation for the dark arts, her last name and family ancestry, or were they trying to find out the reason why she was transferring at all? 

 

Once she reached the Hat, she sat down gracefully and waited as the Hat was placed over her head.

 

“Hmmmm,” the Sorting Hat immediately hummed. It’s deep rumbling voice invaded her mind. It sounded pleasantly surprised to meet her. “A Jung, huh? I haven’t had one in over two centuries.”


Jessica quirked a curious eyebrow. She had no idea that her ancestors ever went to Hogwarts. She knew her family had roots in Korea and most of them went to school in Mahoutokoro, but never Hogwarts.

 

“That’s right. You’re great, great, great great grand uncle came to this school,” the Hat told her sounding very pleased with himself. Though Jessica couldn’t see it, she was sure the Hat was sporting some kind of smile.“He was a great wizard. Brilliant. Graduated top of his class actually. Very good at Transfigurations and Potions.”

 

“And what House was he sorted into?’ she asked the Hat curiously, not at all surprised that her ancestor was so distinguished during his time here. The Jungs were known for their mastery in magic.

 

“Slytherin,” came the answer.

 

‘And me? Which House do you see me belon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter