Chapter 5: E

Jewel Girl

"Lisa! What did you do with my speech?"

My best friend, whose arms were currently pinned behind her back, struggled in vain.

"N―nothing!"

"Really?"

"Really!"

I quickly switched my position, putting her under a headlock instead.

"Oww—It's true! I swear on my love for sweet potatoes!"

I squeezed my grip.

"Bulgoggie!"

I tightened my grip further.

"Bibimbap!"

I released her from my iron hold. To Lisa, bibimbap represented the pinnacle of culinary goodness. The fact that she was willing to swear on it meant that she wasn't lying. And besides, she was turning blue.

"Why is she acting so peculiar then?"

"What do you mean?"

"Weird! She's acting plain weird. She hasn't sent me on any errands for the entire week."

Lisa shot me a resentful look as she rubbed her poor abused neck. "Isn't that great? Perhaps she felt guilty about the whole thing."

"It's not great! No orders from Ice Princess equals no work for Jennie. No work for Jennie equals no need for Jennie! I'm in danger of being retrenched!"

"You're overreacting," Lisa said evenly. "Besides, you're still getting work from Dara, right? Now be a good girl and run along to the studio!"

She then proceeded to chuck me unceremoniously out of the apartment.

I brooded as I made my way to work. Ever since my last encounter with Jewel girl, the situation has become even more awkward. It doesn't take a genius to see that she's avoiding any contact with me.

I sighed as I stepped into the studio. Another day of filming. Which reminds me, I have yet to mention what show we've been filming. Well, it's an action-thriller, and I was told that the lead role was tailor-made for Jewel girl. Want to guess what it is?

If you guessed that Jewel girl was starring as a hot biker chick who seeks vengeance for the murder of her mother, congratulations, you are right.

I glanced at the black Ducati parked right beside the set. A member of the crew was religiously polishing its shiny surface, which was already gleaming under the spotlights. We have yet to film the scenes where Jewel girl rides the bike, but the entire studio has been raging with excitement.

"Good morning Jennie!"

"Good morning Dara," I returned the greeting in Korean. Spending most of my time surrounded by Korean speakers meant that I had learned quite a few phrases by now, though not enough to string a full sentence together.

I looked around. A certain someone was conspicuously missing.

"Jisoo will be doing some filming outdoors today," Dara explained. "And in the evening, she'll be attending the MAMA awards!"

"Okay..." I turned and picked up a magazine that was lying on the table.

"She's nominated for Most Popular Female Idol!"

"Okay..." I flipped through the magazine.

Dara frowned. She then grabbed me by the shoulders.

"It's a very vital award you know!"

And shook me hard.

"Yes, yes, very important award," I answered dryly. My head was reeling from all the shaking.

For the rest of the afternoon I was kept busy running errands for Dara and doing other administrative work. It was rather nice, since for once I wasn't required to go on an expedition to the far ends of the earth.

It was evening when I sat down to work on a laptop. I was aware that Dara was pacing around the studio and was probably up to some of her antics again. But I had so many documents to look through that I couldn't be bothered.

Suddenly, Dara's phone rang.

At the same time, a voice in my head sang along. "Go, go, Power Rangers!"

Dara picked up her phone and started speaking in Korean. I went back to editing the documents on the laptop. Gradually, however, I sensed the anxiety in her voice. By the time she put down the phone, her face was ashen grey.

"Jennie!"

"Wh―what?" I sat up in my chair. I haven't seen her so anxious before.

"It's unwelcome news! Jisoo, she..." Dara looked like she was about to cry.

"Huh? What is it, Dara?" My head spun with all the possibilities. Don't tell me she...

"She's stuck in jam!"

"What? !" I fell back against my chair. "You made me think she died or something!"

"It's terrible, Jennie! It's raining very hard outside and there was an accident. So, the traffic is bad now. Jisoo will be late for her award!" Dara was wailing at the top of her voice.

My god, what do they feed this woman?

"You haven't been drinking again, have you?" I asked sternly.

Some people like coffee, some people like tea. Dara too, likes drinks that are bitter, but they have to come with "cute little bubbles".

Dara blinked. "No!"

She blinked again. "Only three bottles!"

"What should we do, Jennie? !"

I rubbed my temples tiredly. Why oh why am I the only one stuck in the studio with her? Anymore of this wailing and I would be the one who needs to see a therapist.

I rested one elbow on the table, my right palm supporting my chin, and looked around the studio. As my gaze fell on the Ducati at the corner of the room, an idea sprung in my head.

I stood up and grabbed Dara by the arm. "Dara! Does that thing actually work?"

Five minutes later, I was zipping down the road on the Ducati. Yes, I know how to ride a bike. I had learned it on the sly from a girl named Hanna while I was in Vietnam. Just keep it from my mom, okay?

Raindrops splattered against my helmet as I weaved in and out of the traffic. Dara wasn't kidding when she said that it was raining heavily. It was pouring cats and dogs, as well as whatever else people kept as pets.

Similarly, it seemed that the accident had successfully crippled the city's traffic. The lines of vehicles s for several blocks, and it took much effort before I finally spotted that elusive black van.

I sped up, screeched to a stop right next to the van and rapped my knuckles against the glass window. From the terrified looks on their faces, they probably thought I was some yakuza trying to kidnap their precious Ice Princess. It was only after I had flipped up the dark visor of my helmet that the girl at the front seat wound down the window.

"Jennie?" The bespectacled young girl was positively gaping at me.

"Hi Irina, fancy weather we have here, eh?" My voice was slightly muffled due to the full-face helmet I was wearing.

I looked towards the backseat of the van. "I've come to give you a ride."

Jewel girl was staring at me, her jaw hanging wide open. I wasn't really surprised. Most people would be unable to associate "Jennie" with "motorcycle". But ask Lisa and she'll just say blandly: "Make sure you have your will done."

I glanced at my watch. "It's 15 minutes to seven. Mind if you move a bit faster?"

She was wearing a dark green toga dress, which further accentuated her lean physique and her emerald eyes. In particular, it showed off those legs of hers that seem to go on forever. Nevertheless, I was in no mood to admire the sight. I was, for goodness sake, sitting on a bike in the rain.

She finally made a move to get out of the van, but I quickly stopped her.

Oh great. In my hurry to rush out of the studio, I had remembered to grab an extra helmet, but not a jacket. And because my life is just one big comedy, I had to be the only one around with a jacket.

I let out a sigh. Can't get our superstar wet, can we?

I shrugged off my leather jacket and threw it with the extra helmet into the van. Although it won't keep her completely dry, it'll have to do.

"Wear it and get on."

Once again, she hesitated, her eyes giving me a searching look. I rolled my eyes in exasperation. "Please."

Perhaps Jewel girl sensed that my patience was wearing thin, she quickly put on the leather jacket and climbed onto the bike. To her credit, even though she was wearing a figure-hugging dress, she managed to clamber on without much difficulty.

I idly thought that it would be quite amusing if the sides of dress decided to split but given that getting Jewel girl to the awards was really important (to Dara and therefore my future mental health), I brushed the thought to the back of my head.

I snapped my visor shut and revved the engine. I was about to speed off when I suddenly remembered something.

I reached behind to grab her hands and put them around my waist.

"Hold me tight okay? My salary won't be enough to compensate you." Plus, half of Seoul will probably come at me with pitchforks for allowing their idol to come to harm.

She immediately protested.

"I can't hear youuuuu..." I said merrily as I twisted the throttle hard, causing the bike to lurch forward. She had no choice but to cling on to me for dear life. I laughed under my helmet.

The ceremony had already commenced when we arrived at our destination, but there was still time before the presentation of her award.

Jewel girl took her helmet off and ran one hand through her slightly tousled tresses. I have to admit, she looked pretty y for someone who had just underwent a very wet and exciting experience.

Hang on… that didn't come out right! Let me rephrase it. What I meant was that the ride was kind of dangerous. But it couldn't be helped; the gridlock was ridiculous, and I needed to travel 40 kilometres in 15 minutes flat.

Her face was slightly flushed as she handed the helmet to me. She paused and looked like she was about to speak. However, her lips had barely parted when a group of people appeared seemingly out of nowhere and hustled her inside. They swiftly helped her out of the dripping wet leather jacket, which they tossed aside, to my chagrin. Luckily, I managed to catch it before it touched the ground. The thing cost a bomb, and by that, I mean an atomic bomb.

The group of people continued to fuss over the girl, attacking her with an arsenal of towels and hairdryers.

As for me? I was totally soaked. And freezing. I rubbed my arms, which were going numb from the cold, and watched as Jewel girl was helplessly swept into an adjoining room by the tide of enthusiastic helpers.

I grinned and shook my head. Showbiz is so crazy. In any case, excellent job Jennie! I must say I was quite proud that I had accomplished my mission and would have patted myself on the back if not for the fact that I would have appeared quite mad.

I slung the leather jacket on my shoulder. I wasn't keen on riding back in the harsh weather, but it sure beats turning into an icicle in the air-conditioned room. I turned and walked towards the entrance, wincing a little at the squishy sounds my sneakers were making.

"Wait!"

I spun around and blinked. Jewel girl stood in the middle of the room, panting lightly and looking rather dishevelled. It was as if she had fought through an army to get out of the adjoining room.

And is that the first English word she has ever said to me?

She walked up to me and pushed a towel and some clothes into my hands, all the while staring at the floor. "You're wet…" she mumbled, biting her lips. Before I could react, she turned around and ran back through the door.

I couldn't resist a smirk as I stared at the pile of fabric in my hands.

Maybe she wasn't so bad after all. Wait…did she just- did she just bit her lip?

Sweet Jesus.