Chapter 13: M

Jewel Girl

A/N: This is my favourite chapter by far. Let’s all enjoy this journey far the last time, shall we?

Song of the chapter G DRAGON – Untitled,2014

I stood on the sidewalk, with one hand grasping my phone and the fingers of my other hand tapping restlessly against the concrete wall.

"Jennie?"

"Mmmh?"

"Have you booked your ticket?"

I puffed my cheeks and breathed out. "Not…yet…"

"The wedding's just two weeks away! Do it soon, okay?" she said with an exaggerated voice.

An incoherent mumble drifted into the phone.

"What did you say?"

"I said, yes ma'am." My irritation didn't go unnoticed by her.

"Darling…" she sounded concerned, "is there something wrong?"

My tone softened. "Sorry mom, it's just that…" I pursed my lips. "I…I think I'll miss my new friends here."

As the words left my mouth, I realized what a mistake they were.

"Aw honey…!"

I tightened my grip on the phone, "Mom…I-I’m sad.”

"My little Jendeuk—"

"Your little Jendeukie is getting a super ‘deukie’ annoyed and sad," I interrupted, shooting as many daggers as was possible through telepathy.

She coughed lightly. "Oh, I understand darling. But it's not like you'll never see them again right? Aren't there those things that allow you to video call each other? And also that thing that your dad's hooked on; Handbook or something."

I knew very well that it was not the same. With regard to a certain someone, at least. Even then, I allowed myself to chuckle. "It's called Facebook, mom."

My mother let out an indignant huff. "Anyway, come back soon alright?”

A genuine smile broke out on my face. "I miss you too. I have to get back into the shop. Talk to you again?"

"Oh yes, you're having lunch with the manager, aren't you? Shouldn't keep her waiting."

"Yup, catch you later. Bye mom."

"Bye dear."

There was a tiny beep as I hung up the phone. I then slowly trudged towards the door, leaning my forehead against the wooden frame. After taking a deep breath, I pulled the door open.

The sound of raucous laughter greeted me. A woman with wild mahogany hair got up from her stool, swaying dangerously as she did so. "Where did you go, Jennie?" she demanded.

"My mom called," I mumbled as I shut the door behind me.

"What?" She cupped her two hands behind her ears. "I can't hear you!"

"My mom called!"

"Whaaat?" She started fanning her hands back and forth dynamically. "Your bum sock? I didn't know they sell such things!"

My right eye twitched. What even.

"I dunno about bum socks, but you're not going anywhere till you're drunk! Here! Cheers!" Right after she shoved a glass into my hand, Dara let out a sharp bark of laughter and tipped over, collapsing on the floor.

"Everything okay?" A girl poked her head out of the kitchen. Wendy.

I peered at the woman slumped on the floor. I wasn't sure about Dara, but nothing else seemed broken. "All fine, Wendy."

The girl strode out of the kitchen, carrying a steaming bowl of ramen. As it was Saturday, Yeri was in school for her weekly krav maga practice. The shop was much quieter without that girl, and though I was able to enjoy my ramen in peace, I did kind of miss her company.

After placing the bowl before me, she glanced at Dara. "No one knows what happened?"

"Nope," I replied blithely with a nod in thanks, before digging my chopsticks into the noodles. No one really knew what happened to Dara and her professor in Egypt, but my guess was it didn't go too well. Why, it was barely 11am and she was already a drunken mess.

Even so, I couldn't say I felt too sorry for her, given how she had unceremoniously abandoned the crew and left us to deal with the shipwreck of a press conference. And also, the paperwork she had dumped on me. I was pretty sure, that if you stacked them upwards they would form a ladder to the moon.

The cook  seemed to read my mind. "Actually," she said evenly while she pulled a stool out to sit across the table from me, "Dara usually isn't this irresponsible."

I lifted an eyebrow and would have sniffed if not for the fact that I was stuffing myself with noodles as elegantly as I could.

Wendy went on. "I've heard CL Unnie’s remark a couple of times that she hardly takes days off. Oh, and there's the Lee Seungri incident. I heard that even though he was running a high fever and hospitalized, Dara still insisted on attending the press conference."

Well, that's new. And if it was true then Dara must really like the professor, such that she would not even bother to save Jisoo and Jinyoung's asses. Feeling a lot more sympathetic for her, I left my seat and went over to Dara, hefting her onto a stool such that her back was leaning against the wall. Her head ended up tilting backwards and she started drooling, but hey, I wasn't so sorry as to wipe for her.

I turned my attention back to Wendy. "The Lee Seungri incident? I haven't heard of it."

"Ah, that happened a few years ago, when Jisoo first started out in showbiz. Seungri was also an idol with YG and was extremely popular. However, his secret relationship with his foster mother was exposed, which was sensational news at that time. All of the newspapers and magazines were reporting about it."

I frowned. "So what happened? Did Dara settle it?"

"Mmm… she tried her best, but Seungri's popularity nosedived and never recovered. CL said there were rumors that he's trying to revive his career overseas, but with no luck too. It's such a shame, as he was really talented."

"I see. That's…" I scratched my eyebrow as a knot formed in the pit of my stomach. "That's terrible. It's his own business who he wants to love?"

Wendy gave me a small smile. "Your business is everyone's business. That's showbiz for you."

I sunk lower in my seat, my appetite suddenly gone.

"Has Jisoo been spending time with you lately? Before you go home?"

Hearing Wendy's words, I couldn't help a bitter laugh. After that fated late night call from my mother, whatever possessed me to want to confess my feelings to Jisoo vanished into thin air. Subsequently I tendered my resignation, and she has scarcely talked to me since, not even bothering to turn up for my farewell dinner. At the rate it was going, I was beginning to wonder if she wanted me out of her life as soon as possible.Ouch.

Wendy looked at me quizzically.

I shifted my gaze downwards and stared grouchily at the bowl as I stirred its contents with my chopsticks. "I haven't seen much of her lately," I conceded. And probably wouldn't in the future. I sighed.

"Ah, Jennie…" Wendy began softly, evidently sensing the distress in my voice, "actually…"

"Jisoo…doesn't…but she…stay."

By this time, I was so distracted by my gloomy thoughts that I failed to catch what she was saying. "Huh?"

Wendy cleared . "What I wanted to say is, Jisoo—"

There was the sound of the door being slid open. "Good afternoon!" A woman called as she stepped into the shop, with her young daughter in tow.

Wendy got up from her seat at once. "Good afternoon!" she said before ushering the customers to their table and taking their orders. Just as she was about to walk back to my table, yet another greeting came from a new customer. Before long the shop was packed with the lunchtime crowd, and our conversation was gradually forgotten.

It’d be a long time before I discover what Wendy was trying to tell me that day.

"Jennie, you are leaving?"

I pushed my stool back under the table and looked up. "Yes Wendy, thanks so much for the delicious meal." I started towards the door.

"Wa—wait!"

I peered over my shoulder at the girl, who was hastily wiping her hands on her apron.

"You know that the awards show is tonight, right? Are you going to watch it?"

The Gayodaejun Awards, also known as one of the most prestigious awards in Korea. Dara had given me an invite, but I was still in two minds about going. "Perhaps."

Wendy sighed. "I really hope to see you there, Jennie. Especially since you're leaving soon."

For a moment I stood at the door, speechless. In two months I had made friends that I never thought I would. It made me feel happy, but in a bittersweet way.

"I'll see you around, Wendy," I eventually replied, giving her my warmest smile before making my way out of the shop.

With a given deadline one does realize what’s important. Jisoo is.

The next hour I spent wandering around Hongdae aimlessly, taking in the sights in the hope that I can imprint them permanently in my memory. The bustling streets, the colourful billboards, groups busking with big crowds surrounding them, the picturesque little shops. Who knows when I would be back again, and what would have changed by then? Damn.

My mind was also occupied with thoughts of my earlier conversation with Wendy. On hindsight, I was rather relieved that I had not succeeded in confessing to Jisoo, as it dawned on me that I had never considered whether the feelings were mutual. Maybe I had assumed that she liked me, but I became increasingly unsure whether it was the same kind of like, or whether it was merely a part of my imagination. Oh boy. And now hearing what Wendy said about showbiz? .

I must have been lost in my thoughts as when I finally noticed my surroundings, I found myself in the middle of an unfamiliar residential area with no other person in sight. I hastened my footsteps, trying to navigate the maze I was trapped in.

"I knew I should have subscribed for LTE service…" I grumbled under my breath as I turned into a dead end for the third time. While retracing my steps, however, I spotted a slim figure a few blocks away from me. I immediately hurried that way, hoping to ask her for directions. But before I could reach her, the woman halted in her steps and leaned against the wall. She then collapsed, groceries spilling out from her shopping bags.

I sprinted forward immediately. "Hey! Are you okay?" I called out as I crouched before the figure and turned her face towards me.

I literally froze. It was Ice Queen. Jisoo’s mom.

Twenty minutes later, I was in Ice Queen's house, twiddling my thumbs nervously. I mean, what are the odds of me running into Jisoo's mother? On the other hand, after rummaging through my memories, I vaguely recalled Wendy saying that she lived near her ramen shop.

As Jisoo's mother stepped into the living room, I swiftly stood to attention.

"Ah, Jennie-ssi, have a seat," she said placidly as she put a cup of tea in front of me and settled into the seat opposite mine. I took my seat as well.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked. The woman looked paler than I remembered.

"Yes, thank you. I'm just a little anemic," Ice Queen answered in that crisp accent of hers.

"I see…" I wondered if Ice Pincess was aware of her mother's health issue. "Have you seen a doctor?"

"Yes, I have. I'll be fine after taking the medicine and resting."

I nodded mutely & shifted uncomfortably in my chair. We sat there in silence as I frantically searched my internal guidebook on "How to Make Conversation with People You Don't Really Know" for something (sensible) to say. When that drew a blank, I decided to refer to "How to Get Yourself Out of Conversations with People You Don't Really Know".

"I should leave you to take a rest then, Mrs Ki—"

"How is Jisoo?"

My eyes widened, but I sat back down anyway. The sudden change in topic had caught me by surprise, though frankly it was getting bothersome having people ask me about the one person that was avoiding me like the plague. Alone that thought made me feel so endlessly weary.

"She is…err, very well. There is an awards show tonight, I think she is nominated for best actress."

"She is?" Ice Queen said, more to herself than to me.

"Yes. Are you going to watch it?"

She shook her head slowly and I grimaced. It was hard to believe that Jisoo had not given her mother an invite to the show, given how important it was to her. "Jisoo didn't give you an invite?"

Another shake of the head. "No, she did," she said quietly, "but I threw it away."

I chewed my lip. Umm. There wasn't much I could say to that.

"Remember the day we met at Jisoo's place?"

Another switch in the conversation topic, but this time leaving me more nervous than anything else. Oh, I remember that day most excellently, if you include me masquerading as Ice Princess’ slave. "Yes…" I said hesitantly. Was she finally going to lambast me for my antics?

"Well." She steadily placed her hands on the table, one over the other. "What you said made me think…"

"It bothered me, what you said. When Jisoo gave me an invite to the awards show, I threw it away…but what you said lingered in my head."

By this time I gathered which conversation she was actually referring to and my eyebrows were floating sky high. Ice Queen shifted her position uneasily, like a kid caught stealing from the cookie jar. At the back of my mind I noticed the parallels between her and Jisoo – the shy, awkward self that was hidden beneath the thick layer of ice. It was quite endearing, really.

"In the end I gave in. I went to the video store and rented one of her movies." She took a long pause. "It was good… Jisoo was good." Her voice had faded to barely a whisper.

My jaw kind of dropped to the table. Are those tears shimmering in her eyes? I was caught between freaking out and joining her in sobbing my face out in a hanky.

"Ah…" I tried to construct a sentence but my treacherous brain bailed out on me as usual. Apparently I did not have an internal guidebook titled "How to Deal with Amazingly Awkward Situations."

She sniffed and glanced at me. "I'm sorry, what am I doing, embarrassing myself…"

I waved my arms furiously in front of me. "No, no! It's alright to cry! Cry as much as you want!"

I nearly whacked myself on the forehead as a box of tissues magically appeared and the woman sobbed even more loudly. , cry me a river came to my mind.

"That's not what I meant—I mean, no, not that I mind you crying—"

After much stuttering, I took a deep breath to recompose myself. Jennie Kim, get your brains in order! "I mean, I mean, it's not too late you know, to appreciate her talent."

Jisoo's mother finally took a break and looked up from the table at me.

"What I mean is, Jisoo has always hoped that you would be proud of her. She still does."

The next few seconds seemed like an eternity as the woman processed my words. At last, a faint glimmer of a smile appeared on her face. "I think you're right. I should tell her…"

Thank goodness! I breathed a sigh of relief. I then blinked, as an imaginary light bulb appeared above my head.

"I know!" I exclaimed as I fished out a slightly crumpled piece of paper from my jeans pocket. "Here, you can have this."

Ice Queen took one look at the paper and her gaze shot back to me. "But, isn't this your invite?"

"It's fine, I can always watch her on TV."

She furrowed her brows. "I can't…"

"No, really. Please take it. I'm sure she'll appreciate your presence more than mine." I flashed her an encouraging smile, even though I couldn't stop the sour feeling from blossoming in my chest when I said those words, especially when they were probably true.

"Okay then…" she said uncertainly as she accepted the invite.

We spent the rest of the afternoon chatting about random things. I learnt some things about her, such as that she was actually working as a teacher in a middle school, but our discussion mostly revolved around Jisoo and my almost daily run-ins with her. They amused her enough to make her guffaw.

The most disastrous moment, nevertheless, happened when Ice Queen took out Jisoo's baby album for me. I was all fine and dandy looking through the photos of a very chubby Jisoo splashing in a bathtub, when I realized that she was . Like . Let's just say that it was kind of difficult trying to explain why I threw away the book like there was a cockroach on it and with my cheeks all red.

Soon the sun started dipping into the horizon and Jisoo's mother had to get ready for the awards show. I bid her farewell and went home feeling a tad lighter than I was before.

The show was slated to start at 7.30pm. Having gathered a load of snacks, I plopped on the couch and switched on the TV. Lisa was out with Rosé today, so for once I had the TV all to myself.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the  Gayodaejun Awards!" A smartly dressed man in a tuxedo announced with a flourish. He was obviously the host.

I could barely keep my eyes open during the ensuing segments. Sure, it was nice seeing so many gorgeous men and women parade themselves on the stage. But I wasn't a fan of Korean shows so I didn't recognize most of them.

"And now, for the most prestigious award of the night… The Outstanding Performance by An Actress in a Leading Role!" I jolted awake and quickly rubbed my bleary eyes.

I struggled to sit up on the couch as a young woman emerged from the back of the stage and went towards the standing microphones. Word was it that Irene's influential family owned Korea TV Station, while the seemingly ageless Irene was one of the screen sirens in cinema.

Irene took out an envelope and removed a card from it. "And the nominees are…"

The audience was shown a video introducing the nominees. I felt my heart beat faster when I saw the footage of Jisoo. She was being nominated for her role in John Smith's movie.

"And the winner is…" she announced solemnly as she slipped the card out of the envelope.

The cameras then switched to the nominees sitting in the audience. I had a glimpse of silky purple hair before the camera turned its attention back on the stage.

I clenched my fists anxiously. Call me biased, but I really wanted Jisoo to win. Not only because she deserved it, but also because it would help her achieve what she always wanted – to prove herself to her mother.

Pleaseletherwin pleaseletherwin… I promise that if she wins, I will stop drinking green tea… for a week?

The host cut in with a toothy smile. "We will be right back after the break."

"Really surprised." I murmured to myself with a mouth full of sarcasm.

After what must have been a million commercials we were at last back to the show. I hugged the poor cushion tightly, resting my chin on top of it as I stared so hard at the TV screen that my eyes might just pop.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role award goes to…"

There was a drumroll. The Goddess Irene leaned into her microphone.

"KIM JISOO!"

Deafening screams erupted from the fans at the back of auditorium as the cameras zoomed in on the winner, who seemed to have turned into a stone statue at her seat, her eyes wide in disbelief. It was only when CL ran down the aisle and pulled her up by the arm that she seemed to regain her senses, making her way to the stage as her fellow artistes shook her hand.

Tears sprang out of my eyes.

Finally, she managed to squeeze her way through the throng of well-wishers and up the stage. Ice Princess bowed as the presenters handed over her trophy. She hugged it against her chest, inhaling deeply before looking up at the audience.

I was breathing heavily as I stood up from the couch, watching intently.

"I…" She paused, tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear. It was only then that I noticed that she was wearing the halter neck dress I had chosen for her from T.O.P.'s shop, the one I had snuck into her shopping bags. It fitted her perfectly, and under the spotlight of the stage, she seemed to glow.

I smiled.

"I…" Jisoo spoke again while her eyes darted around, seeming to be searching for someone.

"Oh look!" The host said excitedly as the spotlight centered on a lady sitting in the middle of the audience. "It's Jisoo-ssi's mother!" Ice Queen was beaming widely and waved shyly at the camera.

Jisoo appeared stunned at first, but eventually she broke into a smile. It was the most beautiful smile I had seen on her face, and I felt my breath catch in my throat. It might just be the last thing I'll ever forget. Magical.

Her voice was slightly shaky. "Thank you. Thank you all for believing in me."

And whatever misgivings I had with her, whatever uneasiness and anxiety I felt about us disappeared, leaving me with one thought in my head: As long as she is happy, I'm happy.

A loud pop sounded, and confetti and balloons descended on the stage. The other award winners joined Jisoo on the stage, and the show ended on a decidedly festive mood.

Later in the night, as I was getting ready for bed, my phone rang.

"Geez," I muttered irritably as I picked up the phone. It was almost 2am in the morning. "Hello?"

"Hello? Hello!"

I frowned. "Hello? Who is this?"

The other person on the line seemed to hiccup as she spoke. "It—It's me, CHIIII-CHUUUU…"

I pressed the phone closer against my ear, with my brows tightly furrowed. "Jisoo? Is that you?"

"Jeeeeniiieeee. POONG…"I heard her giggle.

After much effort, I determined that Jisoo was drunk somewhere. It took me some time to locate “Rorschach”, no thanks to the horrendous pronunciation she used. Luckily she was in a private room when I arrived; I shudder to think what would have happened if she was discovered by other people.

The bartender who led me to the room, a man called Minhyuk, claimed that she had gone to the bar alone and was drunk but otherwise fine. He looked at me curiously when I told him my name, but he did not say anything else. Suspicious.

Anyway, trying to carry Jisoo out of the pub was a very unique experience. To illustrate this point, here are some excerpts of our conversation (if you could call it one):

"Okay, Jisoo, let's get out of here. The door's to the left."

"Le—ft?"

"Yes, turn left… No, not into the men's toilet!"

"Jennniee, Jenniee, there's something squishy!"

"That's my foot, Jisoo! Stop stepping on it!"

"Squishy!"

"Oww!"

"Je-Jen?"

"Yeeesss, Jisoo?"

"I see stars…"

"Stars? We're still in the building, Jisoo. Wait a min— Hey, don't pass out on me!"

So, as you can tell, it was far from easy getting her royal drunken home. It was still manageable at first when her legs were functioning, but subsequently she decided to zonk out altogether. I lost count of the number of times we nearly tripped and fell to our deaths.

After a nerve-wrecking cab ride, where she insisted to sit on my lap, “‘cause it’s safer that way Jendeukie”, we arrived at Jisoo's apartment. Fortunately, I could find her keys in her handbag, and I fumbled with the lock as Jewel girl leaned her full weight on me. She felt so warm.

"I'm no longer your personal assistant, you know…" I muttered under my breath as I carried her into the apartment and straight to her bedroom. "You—great—big—elephant."

"If it's—not because—I like—you—so much Jisoo," I continued to gasp as I struggled to maneuver our position so that I could hold onto her and lay her down on the bed as gently as possible. "I—would have just—dragged you—on the floor."

Alas, I lost my grip and Jisoo dropped like a fallen log onto the bed. She even bounced a few times.

I winced. "Oops…Jisoo?"

No response from the living dead. Ice Princess laid quietly on the bed, dressed in the same outfit she wore to the awards show. It was strange to say the least, as I had expected her to attend the after party and not wind up in a small pub in Hongdae.

I bent over and tapped her on the cheeks. "Jisoo? Earth to Jisoo, Earth to Jisoo…"

Finally, she let out a soft groan.

"Oh marvellous, you are still alive…" That's two drunks and two unconscious Kims I have had to deal with in a day. To whoever's up there playing this trick on me, it's funny, reeeaaally funny.

"Jisoo, wake up." This time, she whined and turned her head away from me. Seeing the grumpy look on her face, I let out a sigh. Should I just leave her here? She seems to fall within the sleepy drunk category, so it should be fine?

I padded to her dressing table and picked up my jacket, which I had discarded after sweating buckets from carrying her. When I turned around, however, I froze.

Jisoo had flipped over to the side such that she was facing me. Her form-fitting dress had ridden up her thighs, treating me to a generous view of her long legs.

Like really, really long, svelte legs.

My mouth felt dry and I swallowed thickly. I take back my words; this is not funny at all! I was aware that somewhere along the way my feelings for her had taken on a more, umm, sensual nature, but I tried my best not to dwell on it.

Prying my gaze off her with much difficulty, I shuffled towards the bed, making sure to stare at the back of the room instead. I then knelt down on the bed and reached over to the other side for the blanket so that I can drape it over her. But as I pulled the blanket towards me, I instinctively looked down.

My hand hovered in mid-air.

She was still sleeping, her face devoid of the usual trace of sulkiness. We were so close that I could feel the heat radiating from her body. Without thinking, my gaze drifted downwards to her slender neck, to her steadily rising and falling chest, to her taut waist, to her—

"Oh my goodness!" I yelled as I jerked backwards. It was probably a bad move though, as my hollering awoke sleeping beauty and she stirred, opening her eyes and staring at me groggily. For reasons unknown, my body shut down and I couldn't move.

Uh oh. How in the world am I supposed to explain why I'm crouched over her on the bed?

Jisoo continue to peer at me, blinking a few times in a way which I would have found adorable if not for the fact that I was in full panic-mode.

"Jisoo, I can explain—"

"Jennieee…" she drawled, effectively silencing me. "You…stole my first kiss."

The next thing I knew, Jisoo was grabbing me by the collar and dragging my lips down to meet hers. Drowning out the thoughts I had. Drowning out the words I wanted to say. Drowning out the world.

“So soft.” I remember I mumbled against her lips…

________________________________________________________________________________

"Ah-CHOO!"

I slumped lower in the couch and blew my nose noisily with a piece of tissue. "Boy… It's like I'm playing a trumpet."

The blonde sitting across the coffee table tut-tutted disapprovingly as she handed a new box of tissues to me. "You're such a fool, Jennie."

"Why thank you, Lalisa," I grunted as I snatched the box from her and placed it on the seat beside me. "Aren't you my best friend? Show me some sympa—"

Another explosive sneeze.

Lisa leaned back against the armchair and folded her arms. "It's precisely because I'm your best friend that I'm telling you that you're a fool."

I merely rolled my eyes and continued dabbing at my very sore nose. I swear the thing's gonna drop off soon.

My best friend shifted impatiently in her seat. When she realised that I was more interested in stemming the river from my nose than continuing the conversation, she wriggled forward, pressing her palms against the table's smooth glass surface. "Why don't you tell her? Maybe she feels the same?"

"She doesn't feel the same."

"But I thought you said she ki—"

"Stop," I interjected, my voice terser than I expected it to be. I slid further down the couch till I was lying flat, and draped my forearm over my eyes. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you."

Despite rudely cutting off Lisa's words, my head again swam with memories of what happened that night at Jisoo's place. I was shocked, to say the least, when the girl grabbed my collar. But it didn't end there.

The moment our lips touched, my mind went blank. We had then broken apart, only for me to see her gazing up at me through her black and all so  heavy-lidded eyes, with her heart shaped full lips slightly parted and her breathing erratic. She must have opened a Pandora box of sorts, because the next thing I knew we were engulfed in another kiss, one that was longer, deeper and far more fervent.

I don't want to go into the details, but our, umm, activities meant that we were getting increasingly tangled in the sheets. Whilst this may seem like a y notion, it's quite a different matter when you're at risk of being accidentally mummified. At last I detached myself from her to get the blanket (i.e. potential choking hazard) out of the way, but when I lowered my gaze I realised something else.

She had fallen asleep.

Of course, it was at this time that reality hit me like speeding monster truck. To cut the long story short, I had immediately shot up from the bed, but as my leg was caught within the sheets, I ended up stumbling and stubbing my toe against a nearby lamp. There was then some hopping around on my other foot while I cursed in a strangled voice, before I tripped on god-knows-what and landed face first on the bed again next to Jewel girl. This left me so flustered that I scrambled to the attached bathroom and did the first thing that came to me, that was, sticking my head under the shower until the cold water numbed the tingling sensation in my skin.

It had taken me some time to cool down (literally), but I still didn't trust myself being in the same room as Jisoo. So I stayed in the bathroom in my half-soaked clothes, eventually dozing off. When I walked out of her apartment in a zombie-like state, dawn was already breaking. Unsurprisingly, I came down with a bad cold soon thereafter.

Which brings me back to my conversation with my best friend.

Lisa frowned. "Jennie…"

"She also said that my foot was squishy," I countered dryly, scoffing.

The blonde in a deep breath. "But—"

"No, Lisa. What is the point? Whether I like her, whether she likes me… The fact is, we can't be together."

Yikes. Romeo and Juliet cliché. Star crossed lovers etc etc. Well Jisoo is a star, but I’m a coward.

"I have to get back to my studies, and Jisoo has her career. If there are any rumors about us…her career will be destroyed."

Jisoo's career. All the effort she had put in. How long had it taken for her mother to give her blessings?

"This is…for the best." I tilted my head up to meet Lisa's eyes. It was the first time I had seen such an anguished look on her face, and I wondered if her expression mirrored mine. opened and closed rigidly, as if she desperately wanted to say something, but no words came. In the end she shook her head and sighed.

And with her lack of rebuttal, the last flicker of hope died in me.

I bit my lip as I got up from the couch. "Well, don't worry about me," I said as I tried to flash her a smile, "I'd better go pack my luggage."

Just as I was about to walk away, however, a beep sounded. Instinctively I glanced at the coffee table and saw that the small LED screen on my phone had lit up. I bent down and flipped the phone open.

You still owe me a wish.

Butterflies. No, a whole zoo got up in my stomach. How? Jisoo, how is it possible for you to make me feel so strong about you? What kind of superpowers do you have.

The sun was halfway across the sky when I appeared outside Jisoo's apartment, all fidgety. Although she had not contacted me since that night, I frequently obsessed over whether she knew what happened. From what I could tell she had slept through the whole quarrel, proving that it was not only possible for a person to fall asleep while standing, but also remain asleep even when the sky was falling. Even then, one could only guess, right?

While the part of me that was guilty about what happened prayed that she had forgotten, a small part of me wished that she was fully aware of it. I didn't want to think about that though. Because I knew that deep inside, I was frightened. I was afraid that that she didn't feel the same way, that if I tried to let her know how I felt I would be rejected. I mean, if she felt the same, surely, she would have tried to say something to me as well? But there was nothing so far, other than a drunken kiss (okay a few drunken kisses) that I couldn't even take seriously.

After much pacing up and down the corridor that was threatening to wear out my sneakers, I stopped in front of the door and lifted my hand to knock. My fist was inches away from the wood when it suddenly swung open.

"Ji—Jisoo?" I stammered.

The girl was clad in an oversized t-shirt, which almost hid the blue shorts she wore below. She held my gaze for a fleeting second before looking away, just enough for me to notice the dark circles below her eyes.

"Come in," she murmured.

I stepped warily into her apartment, my heartbeat racing as I pondered what I had gotten myself into. I thought I was ready, but the sight of her had reignited all sorts of mixed feelings and... impulses. She settled quietly on the couch, and I decided to opt for the one opposite rather than beside her. It wouldn't be nice to die of a heart attack in her house now, would it?

"So…" I mumbled while squirming restlessly in my seat, not daring to look her in the eye. Does she remember anything at all? "What's up?"

Shortly after receiving that cryptic text message from Jisoo, I had gotten another one asking that I meet her at her place. She explained that it would be difficult for her to get out of the house, and I could totally see why. The area surrounding the apartment complex was swarming with reporters when I arrived. It was merely because the security guards recognized me as her (ex) personal assistant that I was allowed entry through a hidden gate. Clearly Ice Princess’ fame has gone up a few notches with her recent win at the awards.

"Mmm…"

The girl crossed her legs in front of me, and I blocked out the unwanted thoughts before they even had the chance to materialize. This was getting too frustrating, in all ways. I swallowed thickly, making up my mind to be brave and look her in the face – only to see that she was staring out of the window.

"Thanks…for getting me home that day."

She remembers? ! My heart started thumping so loudly, it was as if my insides were having a rave party. I rubbed my sweaty palms against my lap nervously. "Sure. How did you know?"

"I don't remember what happened, but the waiter told me you sent me home."

"Oh." My heart fell, though I consoled myself that I should be lucky she couldn't recall the incident, as otherwise she would be furious.

Or would she?

"Although…" Jisoo's voice rang out again, disrupting the never-ending debate in my head. I watched apprehensively as she continued to gaze out of the window, her black eyes darkening as she seemed to recollect something. Are her cheeks turning pink?

Is she thinking what I'm thinking? Which is what I think she is thinking?

"Never mind," she suddenly cracked. Like my tiny heart.

A short pause.

"You… didn't come for the awards show."

My eyes widened. Is that a question or a statement?

She went on, more softly this time. "I was looking for you, but you weren't there."

I blinked a few times, and barely opened my mouth to reply when she spun around and looked at me square in the eyes, giving me a startle.

"You still owe me a wish. I want it now."

"Huh?" I gawked at her, taken aback by yet another twist in the conversation. It appears that Jisoo also shared her mother's trait of switching topics like an F1 driver switches gears.

"I want you to cook for me."

My jaw dropped. "Pardon? You want me to what?"

"Cook for me, you know, make food?" She started gesturing with her hands, as if she was trying to explain the concept to a Martian.

"I got that," I answered dully, "but why?"

"Must there be a reason?" Jewel girl retorted as she fell back against the couch and shrugged nonchalantly. "It's up to me what I wish for, right?"

"Yes, yes, princess…"

She seemed to smile at the use of my nickname for her.

"What do you want to eat? I'm warning you, though I cook for myself from time to time, I'm not exactly a great cook."

Jisoo hummed thoughtfully. "What's your favourite food?"

"My favourite food?" Furrowing my brows, I considered the question. "Uh, I don't know…I quite like risotto?"

"Ree-so-toe it is then."

My jaw dropped for the second time that day, much to my irritation. It was already a miracle that the medicine was working, and my nose had stopped dribbling; I wasn't in the least interested in visiting the doctor again for a dislocated jaw.

"But—but—"

And she didn't even seem to know what I was referring to!

Koreas Jewel leaned sideways, fishing out a familiar slip of paper from her shorts pocket and waving it in my face. "My wish."

"Fine, fine," I conceded defeat as I stood up from my seat. "I need to use your computer."

At the sight of her quizzical expression, I raised an eyebrow. "What, do I look like a cookbook to you?"

Some serious googling and a concealed trip to the supermarket later, I was back with the ingredients needed to cook the dish. Luckily, Mr Choi happened to be in the area and could give me a ride to and from the supermarket. I couldn't imagine how I was supposed to lug the heavy grocery bags up to Jisoo’s castle, much less get through the moat that was the paparazzi.

My temples were throbbing as I surveyed the vegetables and meat lying on top of the kitchen island. I took a deep breath. Okay, Jendeuk Ramsay, you can do it. Just follow the instructions, don't poison anyone and you'll be fine. Although the "don't poison" part might be a bit tricky.

The source of my headache grinned wickedly as she sat on the bar stool on the other side of the kitchen island, while I went around fumbling with the numerous drawers and cupboards. Honestly, what's with having enough space to rival a grocery store? After closing the cupboard door for the umpteenth time in my fruitless search for the pots and pans, I whirled around and narrowed my eyes at Jisoo. "If you're hoping to eat dinner and not breakfast, give me a hand with the cooking. Or at least tell me where the stuff is!"

She did not budge and gave me an amused smirk.

I shot her a glare. "Now."

Finally, her royal highness jumped off the bar stool and sauntered towards me. But I soon realised that there was a dangerous glint in her eyes that I had never seen before, and which reminded me of a leopard stalking its prey. In a flash she was within arm's reach, causing me to edge backwards and bump against the cupboard.

Alarm bells rang in my head and my mouth went dry. What is she trying to do?

"Jisoo—"

The girl ignored me and continued inching forward, so much so that I had to arch my back while my palms grasped the edges of the countertop tightly. She stared at me intently as she closed the distance, and for a moment it was as though the rest of the world had faded out. I could only see the brilliant hues dancing in her eyes and sense the blood rushing to my head.

Is she trying to…?

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod.

My heart is bursting. I'm going to die.

"Wh—what—" I managed to squeak as I squeezed my eyes shut.

The black stopped swirling. "It's right behind you," she said in a bored tone as she reached behind me and swung the cupboard door open, such that I had to frantically duck my head or risk creating a cutout of my profile in the wooden frame.

Satan. It felt like a slap in the face.

"Goddamnit," I sputtered irritably as I straightened my back and tried to get my crazy heart rate back to normal. "Is this your idea of a joke?"

However, Jisoo was already walking away from me.

"Maybe," was all I heard as she rounded the corner to another part of the house.

I breathed erratically while concentrating hard to not let a single tear escape.

That’s exactly how I ing felt like to her. A joke.

And thus, the dismayed one was left alone in the kitchen to cook. Halfway through I became aware that the girl had come out to the living room to play on her game console, but by this time I was too distracted by the fact that I had mistaken salt for sugar to care.

After much rinsing, cutting, mixing, stirring and furtive glances at the recipe I had printed out from the internet, I was finally done.

"Dinner's ready!"

"Jennie presents…" I balanced the plates in my hand and did a fancy twirl on the spot before laying them on the dining table "…Jendeuk ramsay's Special!"

Well, the risotto looked kinda more brownish than what was shown in the picture from the internet. But I blamed the picture. Must be bad lighting.

Ice Princess shuffled to the table and plopped ungraciously on a chair. Wordlessly, she picked up the spoon and scooped a portion.

"How is it?" I asked as I undid the knot of my apron.

She stuck out her tongue in disgust. "It's too salty!"

I smacked her on the head with the apron. "Just eat it, brat."

The girl glared at me, but to my astonishment (and horror), scooped another portion from the plate.

"Hey, you don't really have to eat—" I started but hesitated when I saw the look on her face. She was staring at the food with an expression I couldn't really describe. All I could think of was… "longing"? Is it natural to stare at food with "longing"? Guess my brains got fried together with the food.

With the earnestness of a person eating her last meal, Jisoo continued to devour the plate of risotto. I was dumbfounded as she swallowed one mouthful after the other, and eventually, I sat down opposite her and started eating.

The girl was right, the food was way too salty. But she was still shoveling the food into like it was the one meal that she had to eat no matter what. I began to worry that if she didn't have something wrong with her taste buds, she was going to have one now.

Before long, her plate was clean. I pushed my plate politely aside. It was barely half eaten.

She stared quietly at her lap for some time before speaking. "When are you leaving?"

This was actually the first time she was talking about my departure, and obviously it took me by surprise. I looked down as well. "This Friday."

"That's…fast."

"Yeah. The wedding is next week, and I need to help with the preparations."

"You're going back to school after that?"

I nodded sombrely, even though I knew that she was probably not looking at me.

"I… I won't be able to send you off at the airport."

I looked up.

"As you can see, it will be inconvenient—"

"Yes, I understand," I replied stiffly. Message received. It felt like a hole was opening inside me. "I guess this is goodbye then…"

Jisoo stayed silent.

I tried to lighten up the conversation. "Umm, I'm not sure if you have Facebook but do add me as a friend! Or I can 'like' your fan page or something. I'm sure you have one. And…and I'll write to you."

Deep in my heart I knew that it would be difficult. Even with all the tools available nowadays, it was more likely than not that we will drift apart, further than we already were.

The girl inclined her head so slightly that I wasn't sure if that was considered a nod. "I'll go do the dishes," she said quietly as she stood up and took our plates to the kitchen.

I sat there in a daze as she did the dishes in the kitchen. It became clear to me that I couldn't just leave without telling her what I feel, or at least a bit of what I feel.

I climbed out of my seat slowly and made my way into the kitchen. Jisoo continued to fix her gaze on her sink, her long purple hair shrouding her expression from me.

As I approached her from behind, my insides were in a knot and my hands were increasingly clammy. She probably sensed my approach as she ceased washing the dishes momentarily.

At that instant, I slipped my arms around her waist and pulled her close. I buried my face in the crook of her neck. She tensed up.

"I will miss you…" Savouring the moment, I breathed lightly as I shut off my mind, leaving the rest of my senses to do the work. Her soft hair, her smooth skin, her scent, her warmth. I want to remember everything. So desperately.

At last I broke away, my mind fuzzy from the earlier contact. But she did not respond. She did not turn around, not even when I walked out of the kitchen and out of her apartment, out of her life.

I was chocked up. Jisoo has been the only ever person, who got under my skin with her magical smile.

 “Koreas Jewel, what have you done to me?” I whispered to myself, while leaning against her closed door.

Later that night, I was back outside Lisa's apartment. I was grappling with the lock when the door opened, revealing my best friend. A worried look appeared on her face as she observed me.

I remained impassive as I stepped past Lisa into the house.

"Jennie…" Lisa grabbed my hand gently and turned me around. "Are you okay?"

"I-I…" I muttered weakly, trying my best to fight against the dam that was threatening to break. The next moment, I found myself in a strong hug.

And the tears began to fall.

Goddamnit. Just when I realized I fell in love for the first time in my life, my heart broke right away.


It is a strange thing, what your mood does to you. Objectively speaking I could tell that it was a bright and sunny morning, when the air was fresh and the birds were singing, but I registered none of it. Instead I felt as though I was in the middle of a tornado. My senses were dulled, and while everything seemed to move so fast around me, time had stopped for me. You could have a unicorn prancing over a rainbow and I would still feel like the world was crumbling.

The wheels of my luggage rumbled noisily as I dragged it towards the check-in counter. What happened thereafter I wasn't sure, but the next thing I knew I was striding away from the counter, with my boarding pass in hand. I went in the direction of the boarding area, where Lisa and Rosé were waiting for me… along with more than half a dozen other people?

"Jennie!" Dara was jumping up and down, frenziedly waving her hands as if I couldn't spot them. I nearly rolled my eyes. I was just five metres away from her, for goodness sake.

"Hey Dara," I greeted her with a small smile and looked around at the others. Besides Lisa and Rosé, there were Bom, Irina, Wendy, Yeri, T.O.P., my cousin and even CL, though it was initially a little hard recognizing her with her enormous shades and shawl covering her head.

"Hey everyone. Thanks for sending me off."

Bom was the first to come forward with Irina. "Take care, Jennie." She looked like she wanted to say something else, but tears welled up in her eyes.

"We will miss you," Irina added, putting her arm around Bom's shoulder to comfort her. "Keep in touch, okay?"

I patted Bom's back and drew both of them into a hug. "Thanks guys…"

Before I could extract myself fully from Bom and Irina, I was roughly dragged into another hug. "It was an honour knowing you. Fare thee well, Jennie!" Dara exclaimed melodramatically.

"Please don't tell me you're quoting Shakespeare or something," I chuckled as I allowed the woman to hold me in a tight squeeze. "But yes, it has been good knowing you."

I pulled myself away from the manager and eyed her sternly. "Take good care of yourself, alright? And don't drink too much. It's not the end of the world."

Feeling a nudge against my back, I turned to see Wendy standing behind me. "Don't you worry about her," she said lightly, "her professor has come back to Korea."

I gaped. "Really?"

"Yeeeaaappp!" Dara replied gleefully.

I smiled and shook my head. Oh well, at least somebody has a happy ending.

"Take care, Jennie." Wendy gave me a hug too.

"Thanks Wendy," I said sincerely, "for your ramen…for everything."

"Jennieeee…" On hearing that voice, I looked down. Yeri was clinging on tightly to my side, and I had to swallow the lump that had risen in my throat.

"Be good, Yeri." I ruffled her hair fondly. "When you're older, come visit me in New Zealand, okay?"

For once, the girl nodded and released me without needing a third party to pry her off, and sought solace in Wendy's waiting arms.

I tilted my head to peer at CL. She removed her shades, her eyes glimmering with mischief as usual. "Unlike someone," she declared contemptuously with a dramatic wave of her hand, "I'm not an award winner and therefore can send you off at the airport."

I couldn't help but grin, and two of us shared an embrace. "Not many people can say that they have hugged a superstar like me. Don't you dare forget about me," she said.

"I won't." My grin broadened into a big smile.

Next up was the only male member of my entourage. "Take good care of yourself, old buddy," he said with a slightly shaky voice as he hugged me tightly, "I will see you again soon."

I patted him lightly on the back. "You too, T.O.P."

"Be sure to introduce him to me next time." I gave him a wink and the old Rad flushed.

I glanced at the departures board; they were boarding my flight. Despite myself, I looked around, hoping to catch a glimpse of purple hair, but I was sorely disappointed. Unlike those television dramas, there wasn't anyone racing through the airport, intending to declare their love. She was really not coming.

I sighed.

Turning back to the last three members of the group, I quirked an eyebrow at my cousin. "I'll see you at the wedding?"

Jiyong gave me a mock resigned smile. "It'll be better than that. I'll see you on Sunday. My flight's tomorrow."

"Good boy."

I gave Rosé a warm smile and drew her into a hug. "It was great knowing you, Rosie. Take care of Lisa for me."

The bespectacled girl responded with a shy nod of her head. "I will. I hope to see you again soon, Unnie."

There was a sniffling sound, and I turned to see my best friend trying to remain the most stoic expression possible. It would have worked if not for the fact that her nose was leaking like a faulty tap and her lips were quivering.

"Aww, Lisa," I said as I held her tightly.

"I—I'm not—" she tried to retort but ended up choking. In the end she gave up, bursting into a loud sob that caused the passers-by to glance in our direction.

"I'm not breaking up with you, so don't cry," I said blithely as I patted her back.

My best friend immediately tore herself from my embrace and smacked me on the arm.

"Oww! That hurts!"

"Serves you right, Jen," Lisa harrumphed. She hastily wiped the wet streaks from her face with the back of her hand. "You'd better take good care of yourself, or I'll fly over to Auckland to whip your !"

"I didn't know you were into S&M, darling," I said with a serious face and had to take a quick step backwards as Lisa tried to smack me again. "Kidding, kidding!" That woman really has violent tendencies.

An announcement sounded in the background and I checked my watch. It was the final call for my flight.

I peered around one last time, holding out for the last strand of hope that the person I wanted to see the most would appear. But once again, I was disappointed.

How many times can you be disappointed before your heart hits rock bottom?

I bent down and picked up my duffel bag. "Well, I have to go now. Thanks again everyone. Take care, and I hope to see you again."

There was a murmur of "take cares" and "goodbyes" while I turned around to face the entrance into the boarding area. My legs felt like lead as I stepped forward and passed my passport to one of the guards at the gate.

"Jennie!"

I looked up.

"JENNIE!"

I spun around to see a mass of dark hair.

"Ji—Sun..mi?"

"Je—Jennie." The photographer was bending forward and panting heavily, with her hands at her hips. "Thank—thank goodness."

She took a deep breath, and finally stood upright, swinging her sling bag to the side and extracting a small package from it. She handed it to me. "This is for you."

My brows were tightly furrowed as I accepted the package. "What is…?"

"It's from Jisoo. I thought they were great, but she refused to have them published, and instead asked me to give them to you."

I grew even more perplexed. "What—"

I didn't have time to ask further, however, as there was another announcement and this time, with my name included.

Oh boy.

"I have to go," I said as I quickly picked up my bag once more. "Thanks so much, Sunmi. Take care!" I gave a quick wave to the rest of the group and jogged towards the boarding gates.

"Take care! And remember, if you're ever interested in modeling, my offer still stands!"

I chuckled as I continued on my way past customs, never once looking back.


Rays of sunlight shone into the plane as I sat at the window seat. The sky outside was a brilliant blue, and the wisps of clouds drifted by endlessly. I unbuckled my seatbelt and reached forward, rummaging in my duffel bag and retrieving the brown package Sunmi had passed to me.

I poured the contents out, and my eyebrows rose. Photos?

It was a stack of photos from Jisoo's photoshoot. I almost smacked my forehead. Geez, she doesn't appear at the airport, but sends a stack of photos of herself to me? Narcissistic much?

While I flipped through the photos, however, a small note fell out onto my lap. I gingerly picked up the note, and as I read the tidy words on it, I felt my eyes getting wet and I held my breath…

These photos belong to you. Because I can smile like this only when I'm with you.

 

A/N: asdfghjkl. ok so yeah sad. JISOO, HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT JENNIE? JENNIE WHY DID YOU NOT HAVE THE GUTS TO CONFESS? ARE LISA AND ROSÉ A COUPLE IN THIS FIC? 

So many questions unanswered. Well, the REAL End. Will come to you guys some time on Saturday the 14 april.

Comment, how you think this will end? ;)

and hahah 13th chapter on friday the 13th. Welcome to my world.