1 차 : of club booths & fliers.

   풀어 ( POUR UP )  :  school has officially started!
 
 
01
01
 
 
hey, what up guys? today, we have a special guest who forced himself into my podcast.
 
woah, hold on oscar. you're the one that asked me to come in as a guest.
 
you're so full of , it's amazing. but anyways, so to all the new kids that are listening in—
 
—do the freshman even know this podcast exists?
 
... my baby dolphin does. shout out to james na for being a doll during the couple of days you visited! but anyways, kwak, as i was saying. welcome to ucm, i hope you guys chose some good clubs to get fliers from.
 
pi alpha phi what's good? ayee. oh, and also join ricebreakers if you're a good dancer. 
 
if only kevin wasn't busy with u sea m stuff. if you're listening kevin, thanks. i guess. 
 
you guess? wow, honestly, you're so rude sometimes it hurts my innocent soul.
 
i hope everybody out there that's listening is getting ready for the november elections coming up. please go vote and show congress that they should care about women. because apparently, they don't. 
 
do your research guys and don't be a sheep! it's okay not to know about the candidates before hand so! if you're under 18, no sweat, vote when you are. however, if you're one of those people that aren't voting because you don't "care" about the election then... i have no words for you, dumb .
 
LARS.
 
what? are they not dumb?
 
we're trying to be a pg-13 podcast.
 
dumb isn't even a bad word and it's true. go out, do your research, make sure that they know that us, both as minorities and as the younger generation, demand to be heard. gotta fix the that the old people laid out for us, you know?
 
yeah, get ready to vote guys. but besides that, i don't really have anything to say. first week of school is always so boring. anyways, today's song is: dear sense by louis the child with max.
 
what do you end it with? stay nutty, fellow dolphins. the hottest kid in the planet, lars kwak out. and oscar. we outtie. love you andrew and my paphi boys an
JENN TALKS!
JENN TALKS!
wdup it's ya girl jenn and we are FINALLY out with the first chapter. thanks to everybody for being so patient with us!! aspyn is busy in europe living out her european fantasies while i am sadly stuck in sunny california just working and being stressed 'cause of school ugh.. but congrats to moonbok & bellyache for kevin and lars! lowkey if you see our google doc that's like 100+ pages talking about who to pick and why and omg. like aspyn says, the couple of chapters in the beginning are just going to be used to introduce people and get some stuff going on but everybody will eventually be talked about in depth so no worries to that ~ 
 
but anyways here are some screenshots of our convo and google doc and all that if u guys do wanna zoom in just click xD also comments! we love!
 
^ when you had a nice roster too but aff's autosaved gmfu
ASPYN TALKS!
ASPYN TALKS!
[ kevin later, nine shots in regretting all his bad decisions ] ahaHA HELLO EVERYONE WOW! SERIOUSLY LONG TIME NO SEE. we’re (but mostly me, it’s mostly my fault yikes) really sorry for how late we’re coming to you with this update like yikes a lot happened these past few months,, i’m studying abroad atm and jenn and i just, // her: “can you finish the last portion by tomorrow” me: “i’m going to paris for the weekend” her: “what the ” asldkDH and also her: “can you fini-” me: “SOSOSOS HE TEXTED ME WHAT DO I SAY” her: “what the ” // omg but from now on updates will be a lot faster! also also, let’s all say hello to kevin suh, sean sohn, and lars kwak !!! @ bellyache and moonbok we’re so so excited to be able to have the opportunity to write about them- we’ll be taking a lot of creative liberties at times and hopefully that’s okay ?__? but yay, spicy boys from a spicy school amirite time to pour up at last :”) also, the format for the first few chapters aren’t going to be like the rest of the story! once ALL the cast is introduced, chapters focus more on fewer characters. also, we will have a roster for everyone. eventually. heh. alSO please please let us know if anything is hard to understand bc we feel like,, there's lotsa jargon so like. glossary? lmAO but yes, thank you to everyone for waiting so long !!
 
 
There are a lot of things that Lars Kwak would do on the first weekend back to school.
 
For one, he’d probably finally pay back Annie for spotting him at sushi last Tuesday when they met up with the rest of their old high school friend group. Typical Lars™, he’d left his wallet on his kitchen table. If he ended up driving without his license and Annie nagged for the better half of the trip from Pasadena back home to Huntington Beach about safety, he remembers just shrugging, saying he likes to keep his life spicy.
 
Or, he’d tell Daniel that no, he wasn’t going to let him skip out of flyering at the club fair for their frat in lieu of babysitting his mom’s friend’s dog at the same time as the younger’s supposed shift. Lars knew that ty excuse better than anyone, considering he’d used the same excuse his sophomore year and he’d told Daniel and his pbros how the excuse had worked on the then-PAPhi-exec-board. If Daniel was stupid enough to not remember the root of Lars’s genius, the sophomore deserved to be stuck flyering to sweaty little freshmen.
 
What Lars didn’t expect to be doing on the first weekend back to school, then — in peak 98 degrees at that — is the same .
 
Being forced by Annie to pass out small, poorly cut Rice Breakers flyers with sweaty fingers and his best friend’s constant “Pep up !” shouts from her shaded spot behind their table isn’t his idea of a good-ing-time. Their booth didn’t even have free food he could steal, he thinks as he wistfully looks at the free choco pies KASA seems to be passing out a little further down the road.
 
“Can I at least sit in the shade too?” He miserably flicks a fat droplet of sweat off his nose as he lethargically airs himself with a makeshift fan made of flyers. An over-excited freshman accidentally elbows him in the side as she runs past him and he grimaces, lazily re-adjusting his ruffled black Supreme tank.
 
Annie glances over after waving bye to a pair of freshmen who’d stopped by the booth to sign up for the email list. “You passed out two flyers. In two hours. You see Rocky over here?” She waves towards the Rice Breakers underclassman as the latter stops like a deer in headlights, awkward waving as he moves to pick up more flyers from their table. “He’s gone through two piles. Piles.
 
Lars just rolls his eyes, grumbling about favoritism and disloyalty, as he sticks out his hand with the flyers spread out, as if expecting passerbyers to just pluck one out of his hands.
 
(Later, when he feels less like soggy weed and more like a solid smoke behind the PAPhi house at 2 am, he’ll smugly remind Annie as she cooks spicy rice cakes in his kitchen that at least 14 giggling Asian freshmen girls had taken a flyer with his methods. At least).
 
His plans today had included ing around in his apartment and maybe inviting Andrew and his PS4 over to around with him: a solid Thursday night. But alas, club fair day (and the disgusting heat) had been unforgiving of him this year.
 
“Yo, I gotta prep for my Public Finance quiz section tomorrow too. I don’t have time for this .” His last minute attempt of an excuse is just as sad as Rocky’s half-eaten sandwich precariously balanced on the corner of their booth.
 
“You don’t even have a Public Finance quiz section tomorrow.”
 
“You don’t know that.” Lars sniffs.
 
“I’m literally in that class,” Annie sighs before she peps up, excitedly welcoming the small group of underclassmen nervously sidling up to sign up for the newsletter. “And I know for a fact that quiz sections don’t start this week, because you know, it’s the first week of classes.”
 
So, when he spots the aforementioned Andrew Yang strolling through the crowd in his signature yellow Champion x Supreme hoodie (that Lars bought for him on the former’s 21st, he likes to smugly mention to anyone willing to listen when either drunk or high — though he vaguely questions how Andrew is wearing a ing hot pack in this weather but alas) holding a taro milk tea, he bounces over with a cheeky grin before plucking the drink from his hand and taking a long sip.
 
Andrew looks up from his text to Mark Tuan with a raised eyebrow that smooths out when he sees Lars. He lets his friend rehydrate before yanking the (now nearly empty) Serendipitea cup from his hands with a joking glare, “All yours, bro.”
 
“Just like your heart, bro.” Lars shoves a flier into his face as Andrew flinches back, reaching to shoo the paper away from his face. Lars just throws another cheeky smile back in response, swinging a sweaty arm around his best friend as he starts walking the pair away from the Rice Breakers table.
 
Getting along with your freshman-year randomized roommate is rare and feeling the need to do everything together is even rarer, but Andrew and Lars had proven the entirety of college myths false when the two came out of year one attached to the hip and with more than one gay rumor (fueled by PAPhi to this day to scared pledges). More than one night stranded at a Taco Bell at 3 am, crossfaded with nothing but dead phones and 30 cents, will do that to you.
 
But even Andrew had proven time and time again how he’d be Lars’ biggest supporter despite the latter’s sometimes tasteless reputation and also his biggest critic, ready to kick him in the when absolutely necessary. In turn, over the past three years, Lars had come to see Andrew as more than just a friend; as a brother.
 
Needless to say, ride or die, .
 
“Don’t you have a shift,” Andrew raises an eyebrow in confirmation when Annie shouts "Don’t ditch ing white man!!!" before blushing red when every white boy in her vicinity turns to her. “Yo, Annie’s literally going to kill me if I’m the reason you ditch Rice Breakers . Fall break 2016? Yeah, not the peak of my life.”
 
“Hanging out with my lover or working a boring shift. What would be more interesting?” Lars messily crumples the flyers into a makeshift paper ball as Andrew just snorts, absentmindedly using the straw to poke at the leftover tapioca balls littering the bottom of his boba cup.
 
“A fine Rice Breakers e-board member, truly. So much dedication to recruiting.” Regardless of his statement, Andrew throws up two fingers up in condolences to a scowling Annie as he swerves away from the booth with Lars in tow.
 
“You know me,” Lars shoots the paper ball of flyers in his hands into the nearest trash can, quirking a smug grin when it sails right in and sputtering about paper toss in real life, well . “I was thinking of smoking tonight if you wanna come by? Ryan and James have a new dealer apparently, said they’d share with their ‘favorite hyungs.’”
 
“That’s literally a byproduct of us feeding them every week. If anything, that should be a given.” Andrew sulks, pulling a meme-worthy sad face as he points to his right shorts pocket where his (very empty) wallet probably sits. “And knowing your psons it’s probably ty quality."
 
Being last spring's pledge master (pledge dad, Lars will chide, "I was more of a father figure really." Annie will just roll her eyes, because "What good father force feeds their sons alcohol for weeks, weird flex but okay") had been tiring but rewarding in the sense that now he has a slew of underclassmen to boss around.
 
Lars just shrugs, “I’m not turning down free weed.”
 
Andrew pauses in thought. “You’re right. Alright, down.” Andrew shoots Lars a look as the other snickers before continuing, “I just have to drop off last semester’s chapter meeting attendance sheet to Mark after he gets off work. Bro, you missed like 5 meetings you’re probably gonna get fined.”
 
“Tell Tuan to off,” Lars grumbles, “Not my fault his finance major marked my late shows as absences. Who voted him as finance chair anyway?”
 
“You literally showed up like 50 minutes in when it’s an hour long.”
 
“I don’t give a fu-” Lars stops, eyes widening as he peers ahead of them. “Bro. Hawaiian club ahead, free butter mochi.”
 
Andrew stops short, completely forgetting the conversation they’d been having beforehand. “No way.”
 
“Yeah dude. And guess what else,” Lars darts his eyes around as if to check for eavesdroppers, “Sana Minatozaki isn’t working the booth right now.”
 
“Stingy Sana?” Andrew gapes.
 
Lars nods slowly in exaggerated seriousness, breaking his facade and snickering when Andrew throws an arm around his best friend and drags him towards aforementioned booth. “I’m sold.”
 
If Andrew and Lars have a bad habit of making bad nicknames for people, it’s their secret — albeit a very obvious one when Lars is okay with yelling ‘Hostile Hoshi’ down the entirety of the Walk after Hoshi refuses to cover him and let him skip a Rice Breakers practice — to keep.
 
So maybe skipping your shift for club day isn’t the most respectable move, and Lars is willing to bet his life savings (trust fund, Andrew shouts) on the inevitability that would be Annie lecturing him about responsibility and “you’re not a dumb underclassman anymore, Kwak.”
 
Still, nothing would ever beat this — bad decisions and camaraderie in those bad decisions.
 
Junior year just isn’t ready for them.
 
 
 
It's hot.
 
Eliza Kim slumps into the plastic chair behind the Hack for Humanity, thighs sticking to her seat as she watches Derek Park pass out fliers promoting their club. Music is blasting from the speakers allocated all throughout the walkway and the sophomore watches the senior explain to a group of freshman what their club is about.
 
“Oh Eliza, why aren’t you at the AKDPhi booth?” Eliza looks up from her computer to see a classmate waving at her with a curious glint in her eyes.
 
“Derek oppa and I rock-paper-scissored so I have to stay an extra shift,” she laughs at the other girl’s sympathetic tut before waving a farewell.
 
She sighs, turning back to glare at her computer screen. Apart from the terrible glare on her Macbook, it’s hot, and there’s nothing really motivating her to finish the design assignment in front of her (because really, what kind of teacher assigned homework during the first week of school? The second day at that?)
 
Instead, she opens up her Snapchat and has to stifle a laugh when a close up of Grace’s face opens up on her screen, the video blurry but desperately trying to focus on Grace squinting in the sun as she calls out towards the freshman with an unbridled annoyance unapologetically obvious, even to Eliza. Only last year were Eliza and Grace walking down the Walk, arm in arm as they accepted various fliers to different clubs.
 
This year, however, Eliza can’t help but feel twice the amount of respect for those seated in their respective booths as the heat makes everybody melt. California weather. What can you do about it?
 
It’s only when she gets a text notification on her phone — the iconic baby kakaotalk! ringing out — does her face light up. Standing up, Eliza winces as she feels her thighs peel off uncomfortably and fans the back of her legs with her hands before calling out, “I’m going to go take a break! Anything want something from We Bean?”
 
Derek looks up from the fliers in his hands with a hopeful grin as Hongbin (senior, H4H’s resident fob, Eliza’s finals week nice-oppa-buys-me-food plug, utter master at Overwatch) brightens up and waves a hand. Eliza waves her phone around, “Message me what you want! I’ll venmo charge you guys because I’m a poor college student with no official job, okay?”
 
Flashing a grin towards everybody underneath the sea foam green tent, she slips out and finds her way towards the end of Malibu Walk when she sees Sarah Jung shake around the melted ice water at the bottom of her Love AKDPhi! tumbler with a frown.
 
“I feel like I go through at least $50 worth of beverages on the first day of Club Week. It’s always too ing hot to function.” Sarah calls out to Eliza as the younger nods, reaching the former as they fall into unison, making their way to the cafe across campus. They pass by multiple tents, waving hi to their respective friends and classmates before eventually moving to swing open the doors of We Bean with dramatic flourish.
 
They welcome the air conditioned establishment with an appreciative groan, making their way to the counter as Sarah lethargically waves to Edward Park as he mans the front. When he sees their red cheeks, a byproduct of standing out in the heat for an hour or so, Edward laughs.
 
“Have you been in here and not helping KASA board hand out fliers?” Sarah asks, eyes playfully narrowing as Edward shrugs, “I was scheduled for this shift before we knew about Club Day. Besides, making money indoors or making no money outdoors? It’s an easy decision.”
 
“Fair enough,” Sarah laughs before tapping her Little’s shoulder. “Drinks on me. I meant to buy you an iced latte for the first day of classes but I wasn’t even on campus yet.”
 
Eliza brightens, a light glow dusting her cheeks as she beams. “Really? You really treat me too well.” She stops short, “Wait but I do feel bad. You always buy me food and coffee..”
 
Sarah just rolls her eyes, dismissing the younger with a small shoo! motion with manicured fingers and pointing her in the direction of the scatter of tables. “Who do you take me for? Come on, Eliza you know me better than that. Basic Big duties.”
 
Eliza just purses her lips with a small pout before heading towards the tables.
 
When Sarah and Eliza first met on the second day of Eliza’s rush week, the older girl hadn’t been too keen on picking up a Little. She’d been a stressed junior with little to no motivation to deal with overexcitable younger girls (add in the fact that rush week had been a week after a Lambda brother from NYU had ed her over, but details). But it’d been hard to say no when freshman-year Eliza had sidled up to the bored-looking upperclassman with a small wave and one too many macarons on hand.
 
She can’t say she really regrets it.
 
Sarah and Eliza had ended up inseparable by the time Eliza had long-been initiated into their sorority and midterm season had come and gone. Bundling up in a pile of blankets while drinking moscato (“I’m not encouraging underage drinking, but as your Big I’m encouraging underage drinking.”) and watching every season of Grey’s Anatomy had become tradition, as did gossiping about boys (alternatively, Sarah talking any UCM Asian male between ages 18 and 22 and Eliza fantasizing about another generic Korean Christian boy) at odd hours of the night.
 
Now, if either of them come by with a random care package or Starbucks drop off, a cute little “some extra energy for a good day~” attached, it’s just their thing.
 
(Sarah will fight her own pledge class tooth and nail to win “cutest Big-Little pairing” at AKDPhi’s annual banquet this year. Mark her words).
 
Eliza peers over into the seating area, scurrying towards one of the few empty tables left in the cafe and somehow managing to avoid tripping over baby strollers and the scatter of haphazardly pulled out chairs. It’s unusually bustling for the time of day, but considering the boiling temperatures, perhaps the hoards of people (keyword, tourists) trying to cool themselves off indoors isn’t a surprise.
 
It’s not until she absently rubs at her arms while waiting for Sarah that she notices the new set of pen marks haphazardly drawn across her skin. The “AVOID FLYERING AT ALL COSTS” certainly wasn’t there when she was back at the booth, but she’d gotten used to random messages popping up on her skin with little to no pattern.
 
She sighs, pulling a pen out of her backpack and scribbling a small “avoiding responsibilities as expected >:(” underneath the large offending text.
 
“Soulmate?” Eliza looks up as Sarah slides into the seat across from her, two iced lattes in hand.
 
Eliza nods, taking a long sip of the ice-cold drink as she recaps the lid of her pen. “I think he was supposed to be at the club fair? Trying to avoid it at all costs or something.”
 
“Considering how ing terrible the weather is, not particularly surprised,” Sarah rolls her eyes. “And considering what I’ve seen on your arm, seems irresponsible too.”
 
“That’s what I’m saying.” Eliza says glumly, thinking a little. “I mean- it’s not as bad as last year? We’re just interacting less in general so there’s less stress.”
 
“Oh yeah, let’s not forget when you walked into rush with ‘I’m a loser’ scrawled across your forehead and pikachu cheeks,” Sarah just gives the younger a look, “‘And body count over 9000’? Or what was it again, ‘call the police if I don’t write something on my arm in 3 hours, means I died in a ditch’? Dear Lord.”
 
“2 hours actually,” Eliza huffs dejectedly as Sarah gasps in mock surprise with a no, really! and takes the pen from the younger, uncapping it again and moving to write on her arm.
 
“I know you’re a pushover,” she pauses at Eliza’s little squeak of indignation, tilting her head as if challenging her to say otherwise. “But you literally let him step all over you last year. The only reason you guys talk less is because he probably got bored. That’s how all these dumb boys work.” Sarah starts drawing little poop emojis on the inside of Eliza’s forearm.
 
“I didn’t want to be too mean- I, well- I got back at him sometimes?”
 
Sarah sighs, “Writing ‘you ’ on the inside of your arm doesn’t count for . From what I can see, he seems like the type that gets called that by girls on the daily,” Sarah pauses. “Not trying to judge anyone without meeting them or anything.”
 
She’s definitely judging him before meeting him.
 
That’s just how Sarah (and Hazel, Eliza thinks) is as a person and as a protective older sister figure. When Sarah had caught wind of the less-than-savory writing behavior of her Little’s soulmate, she’d been pretty triggered.
 
From personal experience? Potentially.
 
“Just- be careful. I know you have a habit of wearing your heart on your sleeve but I swear Liz, if you ever get sad over a like him, I’m going to be so angry with you.” Eliza just laughs as Sarah continues to stare her down, “I’m serious. You have to promise okay?”
 
“Okay okay, I promise. He’s dumb anyway.”
 
 
 
Hannah Lee bites on the black straw lodged into her strawberry slush as she treks down the campus, beverage in one hand and a bag filled with sharpies and name tags hanging from the other. It’s only when she spies Wendy Son slapping turtle stickers onto packages of reusable paper straws that U Sea M has been handing out to incoming freshman (or anybody that walks by their booth, really), does the KASA vice president quicken her pace.
 
Sliding next to Wendy, she holds out the bag as the latter looks up from her stickering with a relieved grin.
 
“Thanks for letting us borrow this. You’re all a real one.” Hannah gushes, shooting finger hearts towards everybody that looks her way as Wendy passes the eco-tote bag over to Sean Sohn.
 
“No worries, babe. Just happy to help.”
 
Sean watches Hannah and Wendy chatter in the shade as he slides up to a lanky boy wearing a bright blue club shirt, “Wow, Hannah is so nice.”
 
“Yeah, except she still pretends not to be mad at me from that Eco Debate in Sophomore year when I know that she is, in fact, still mad.” Kevin Suh mutters as he watches the two girls laugh over something on Wendy’s phone. Hannah, by all means, is a wonderful person, but Kevin finds it hard to believe that she’s over her debate loss when Hannah hits him every time he mentions it. He calls it a threat to his livelihood, she calls it tough love.
 
Still, like everybody who ends up in the same 20 foot vicinity of Hannah Lee, Kevin finds himself staring at Hannah far too long. She's a pretty girl and while a majority of boys on campus have a crush on the 4th year, Kevin knows what kind of girl she is and finds himself looking not in awe at her beauty like Arnold is doing from the tent across from theirs but out of mild interest. It’s only when Sean steps in between his vision that he snaps out of it, peering to see Sean’s face still grinning.
 
“I’m sure she’s over it! She’s not one to hold grudges.”
 
Sean extends a hand over Kevin’s face, blocking the sun from burning into his corneas as Kevin merely hums in response. While there are people like Sean, who’s love for their soulmates is obvious in forms of subtle touches and outright bragging at times, there are people like Kevin, indifferent on the outside yet a romantic on the inside. Despite being overwhelmed by the teddy bear and his enthusiasm in the beginning of their relationship as club mates, in the two years they’d known each other as soulmates, Kevin had come to subconsciously expect the affection and accommodate accordingly.
 
The gradual changes over the years come in the little things — how he finds himself naturally walking on the right side because Sean has the audacity of being left-handed as well, and Kevin has (unfortunately) gotten whacked by the latter’s Nike gym bag one too many times. Or how he makes sure to pick up an extra sandwich at Dropbox on Thursdays before U Sea M meetings because his soulmate always seemed to forget to eat in between his back-to-back classes.
 
And, well, Kevin would rather not have his own food stolen, again.
 
(That and the fact that he doesn’t even have a dining pass, and his sandwiches are supplied via Jimmy Park’s dining account — so really, Kevin is really not down to have his precious sandwich stolen. As for using double the money, Kevin does all of his dormmate’s laundry and most of the grocery shopping, so no one is complaining here).
 
They’re not official, and Kevin isn’t really positive if they ever will be considering how different they are as people — and if another freshman comes up to him again asking if he’s dating Sean Sohn, he’s about ready to cut a .
 
But it’s nice to have a personal slave.
 
(“You call him that but let’s not forget that time Sean got roped into taking Jessica Booth to her Winter Formal and you dead tried to drop his and you kept on whining to me about how,” Brian Kim pulls his face into a big frown before trying to mimic Kevin’s voice, “I’m not like, mad or anything but Jessica? Really? When I asked him to watch Coco with me?”
 
Kevin merely flips Brian off before — Jimmy laughs on the side — diverting his attention towards his homework splayed out on the table of the cafe they were at because he has no excuse, really.
 
But like, Jessica.)
 
Kevin smugly sips at his iced tea ( coffee real caffeine, his past-addict high school self says with a sniff) as Sean braves the heat in lieu of making sure the former is shaded by the shadow of his large (read: Buff™) physique.
 
“Yeah well, people are just full of surprises,” Kevin sighs as he passes a flyer to a freshman boy who timidly walks up to their booth. Wendy gently pinches his side before turning to the kid in front of her, offering a packet of reusable straws while going into an explanation about their “Mission For The Month” — September is “Save the Sea Turtles!” — and Sean uses his extended hand to poke at Kevin’s forehead.
 
“Do you want to go look around? Grab a bite to eat? Amelie is here so we can probably take a quick break; I know you get cranky when you don’t sit for a while.”
 
And really, Kevin can go on and on about how he’s single and not necessarily devoted towards the whole soulmate concept but it’s times like these when he finds himself questioning his viewpoint.
 
“Something to eat would be nice,” Kevin says easily, sighing as he hoists himself up from leaning against the table and grabs his emptied iced tea cup (someone who leaves trash around deserves to die). “Brian also asked me to bring his water bottle over to his frat booth three hours ago so we can stop by.”
 
“Three hours ago?” Sean gapes.
 
“Don’t want him to die from dehydration or anything. Someone’s gotta take out the trash at my dorm.” Kevin chucks his cup into the recycle bin.
 
“Three hours ago.”
 
Kevin raises an eyebrow, “Yes?” He starts walking through the crowd, pushing against the current with the ease of a practiced man — then again, as a junior, club fair is old and practiced in his bones — while Sean trails him from behind.
 
“Well I’m sure he’ll appreciate the,” Sean pauses, “sentiment?” He ends with an unsure note but not without breaking into a smile. “But that’s perfect because I heard Malibon Appetit is offering free noodle samples to promote that Noodle Night fundraiser they do every October. Their booths are next to each other.”
 
“I like the way you think,” Kevin quirks a smile as he pushes past a clearly drunk white lacrosse boy making a ruckus across the main paveway like a bowling ball.
 
“Well we are soulmates. I’d like to think we match somewhat, even if just a little,” Sean jokingly pokes at Kevin’s side repeatedly, mirth twinkling in his eyes as Kevin yelps in pain and slaps the former’s hands away. “
 
“IS THAT WHO I THINK IT IS, WITH MY 800 ML ‘3 R’S OR DIE FROM POLLUTION’ WATER BOTTLE,” They get interrupted by the familiar screaming-shouting of a boy with a vocal volume consistently inappropriate for the situation at hand, and Kevin turns to see his best friend (best bro, future best man, best companion, best decision ever made; Brian will never fail to mention when he’s flopped uselessly on their shared couch with nine Hennessy shots and a slew of $1 tacos from the shady Mexican food truck down the block in his system) nearly tripping over Mark Tuan — if the boy thought ever sitting in front of Brian Kim was remotely a good idea he had it coming for him — before running towards him.
 
Sean beams, waving at Brian before he turns to Kevin and points towards the Malibon Appetit booth and their vast noodle selection, mouthing that he’d grab some samples for them before disappearing.
 
“You’re three hours late I thought I was dying.” Brian grabs the water bottle and starts chugging the now-lukewarm water, Kevin snorting when water starts dribbling profusely down Brian’s chin.
 
“You’d really be doing us all a favor,” Kevin responds dryly but not without an apologetic lilt to his laugh.
 
Brian dramatically grabs at his chest, “My heart,” he complains before sliding an arm around Kevin’s shoulders and guiding him towards PAPhi’s booth. “But I’ll forgive you for your sins if you show up to our party on Thursday.”
 
“This isn’t an if- it’s more like a when considering how you literally won’t let me and Jimmy live if we don’t show up,” Kevin raises an eyebrow.
 
“Oh , not wrong. Ok well, I’m letting Daniel crash on the couch after because his roommate is having his girlfriend over, so you won’t be able to use it.”
 
“Do you realize we literally live together. I have a bed.”
 
“,” Brian sweats. “In my defense the lack of water for the past three hours has made me ing delusional.” He sulks as Kevin just sighs at his friend’s demise. “Plus you fall asleep on the couch so often I forget that you actually have a room sometimes.”
 
But for all of Kevin’s complaining about Brian’s stupidity (and Sean’s, and really anyone he knows minus maybe like 10 people out of the thousands at UCM) he can’t say that he hates it. Really, he thrives on watching his friends’ bad decisions play out.
 
And what is college without bad decisions?