pregame : ucm's niche

   풀어 ( POUR UP )  :  school has officially started!
      
    Places to Live           K-12          Colleges
       College Search      College Rankings       Scholarships      $2,000 No Essay Scholarship       More
   
University of California - Malibu
★★★★☆ 5,172 reviews
Malibu, California  ·  4 year
 
 
 
 
 
 
 A
 
 
Overall Niche Grade
How are grades calculated?
For descriptions, scroll horizontally.
 
A+
B+
B+
A-
B
A+
Academics
Diversity
Athletics
Professors
Dorms
Student Life
C
A+
A+
A-
B+
A-
Parking
Campus
Party Scene
Location
Campus Food
Safety
>
 
ACADEMICS 
ucm, despite its thriving party scene, is still an institution built on an amazing academic program, and the set of renowned (“i don’t care if he’s famous and i hate prof smith’s class” “that’s just because he failed you on that bull you wrote last weekend joseph”) professors has students constantly on their feet, exploring new ideas and collaborating with each other. office hours are open for those who seek them, and for how demanding the engineering school is at ucm, it’s pretty much a guarantee that you’ll need them. 8 am classes are usually the worst, if not the most empty especially after a weekend, but the rigorous nature of the courses usually has even peter min crawling out of bed.
 
 
 GREEK PRESENCE 
ucsb may have a reputation for being a party school but they can’t hold a candle to how much alcohol ucm consumes when it comes down to it. greek row is sort of a big thing here—not in the “let’s bow to michael for getting into gamma omega tau because he’s hot .” way but in the more “beta alpha rho is holding a kick party, let’s go!” sort of way—and everybody know that ucm never skimps on the kickbacks; go big or go home, son! while the party scene is definitely not for everybody, a good chunk of ucm’s student population participates quite heavily in the party life.
 
 
 ADMINISTRATION 
freshmen usually walk in a little nervous the first time they walk into the administrative building expecting the worst, but they’re in for a surprise when they walk into a scene straight out of the office, bored interns throwing paper airplanes at the back of their advisor’s heads as admins share a bowl of chinese takeout behind marble counters. the employees are competent and helpful, if not a little ditzy, and annie kim will tell you that it’s the best working for admin when you don’t really have to do and you have unlimited access to the nice swivel chairs (“imported from france,” the ladies like to drawl). also, don’t tell freshmen but this building has the best ac on campus.
 
 
 LOCAL AREA 
while malibu is absolutely gorgeous, a city right off every californian postcard, ucm is located on the outskirts of neighborhoods slowly weathering with age, and really it’s not too safe for lone stragglers and tired college students to be out in the city past nightfall. the sunset is purely picturesque but everybody at ucm knows that once the sky fades to black, it’s time to implement the buddy system and get from one place to another with at least another figure by your side. while there haven’t been any casualties, there have been reports of drunken seniors popping out of bushes and scaring unsuspecting freshman heading back from their 8 pm class.
 
 
 GUYS & GIRLS 
as expected from a uc campus, the student population is filled with the best of the west coast, and it’s safe to say that the presence of a beautiful beach only seconds from the dorms has people working to maintain perfect figures and even tanner complexions. the typical frat bro and sorority girl looks are rampant due to the heavy greek influence, but even the nerdiest kids have a thing or two going for them it seems. ucm kids like to attribute it to the malibu sun, but it’s really just that everyone at ucm seems to take care of how they look. even 8 am class sweatpants are a in mad cute pair of nike sweatpants, ugh where did you get those i love them. the korean population, for those who care, is also very worth noting. probably the best of all the uc schools tbh.
 
 
 ATHLETICS 
while their sports teams aren’t the best other than the undefeated soccer champs and their basketball team, ucm has a competitive streak when it comes to sports, and it’s not uncommon to see a legion of school colors streaked in a sizable crowd for even the most insignificant of sports. whether school spirit is so strong because game days are an excuse to turn up is a mystery purposefully hidden from admin, but everyone knows that every time their star striker scores a goal celebration is in order. still, they’re a division 1 school, and the slew of amazing athletes is evidence of this fact, athletes excited to proudly represent ucm in intercollegiate competitions.
 
 
 PARKING 
despite malibu having one of the best transportation systems to date, their buses running until two in the morning to allow drunken freshmen to get back to the dorms safely, many students still choose to bring their cars. while it seems that not many of the older kids bring their cars, opting for bikes or skateboards to get from one point of campus to the other, freshmen have yet to understand that paying for a permit and looking for parking at 7 am is just a waste of everybody’s time. parking is already scarce, with random tourists parking their hideous suv’s in the secluded area (despite the huge sign stating “for ucm students only!”) and while students continuously ask for an extension into the lot beside the school, ucm still hasn’t addressed this problem.
 
 
 CAMPUS HOUSING 
with chill resident hall managers and a spacious enough room for a bed, a desk and then some, ucm’s dorms aren’t necessarily the best but they aren’t the worst either. everybody can agree that housing is one of the few places where making friends come naturally—movie nights and “make your own lanyard! show your school pride!” hours a common occurrence so that hallmates can actually befriend one another instead of staying locked up in their room watching netflix—but despite the many memories that happen behind the brick walls and mahogany, everybody agrees that it’s much better to live in an apartment nearby than to spend thousands of bucks on housing, only to get iled (and “yeah! i’m talking about you, ryan.”)
 
 
 CAMPUS FOOD 
while the nutrition and health science majors will begrudgingly stare forlornly at their food, the rest of the student population is quick to use their dining dollars and swipes in any of the dining halls and independent cafes littered across campus, because the food, while probably unhealthy and packed with calories, is delicious. most of the campus dining halls stay open late into the night (so it’s not surprising to see alexander bang run out with a tupperware filled with the bacon mac and cheese at 2am) while the cafes close right at midnight and while students promise to themselves that they won’t spend too much money on food, it’s hard when you need a quick sandwich to get you through the night studying calculus.
 
See All University of California - Malibu Report Card >
 
 
University of California - Malibu is ...
Public
 
Athletic Division
NCAA Divion I-A
 
Athletic Conference
Pac-12 Conference
Address
24255 Pacific Coast Hwy
Malibu, CA 90263
 
Website                                                ucm.edu
  California   /   Malibu
 
 
 
 
University of California - Malibu Rankings
 
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
 
2018 Colleges with the
Most Attractive Girls in
America
 
#2 of 1,384
2018 Top Public
Universities of America
 
#7 of 2310
2018 Colleges with the
Best Thursday Nightlife
 
#8 of 1,384


 
See All University of California - Malibu Rankings >
 
 
 
 
 
Admissions
 
 
 
Acceptance Rate
18.9%
 
 
SAT Range                          1160-1470
Act Range                                   27-33
Application Fee                              $70
SAT/ACT                               Required
High School GPA                  Required
Early Decision/Early Action             No
Application Deadline
November 30
 
 
Application   universityofcalifornia.edu/ad...
Website
Students Also Applied To ...
 A+
University of California - Los Angeles
 
  A
University of California - San Diego
 
 A+
University of Southern California
 
Read More About Admissions >
 
 
 
 
 
 
Majors
 
 
Most Popular Majors
 
Bioengineering
639 Graduates
Design and Digital Media
577 Graduates
Broadcasting
512 Graduates
Marine Biology
494 Graduates
Communications
483 Graduates
Economics
429 Graduates
Biochemistry
405 Graduates
Hide 
See All Majors >
 
 
 
 
Students
 
 
 
Full-Time Enrollment
27,906 Undergrads
 
 
Undergrads over 25                        5%
Pell Grant                                      28%
Varsity                                             8%
 POLL
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 148 responses                                               Report
 
 
 
 From Socal, Asian, Bioengineering Major          39%
 
 
 
 Studious and party animals?                              29%
 How? Beats me!
 
 
 Driven                                                                 26%
 
More  
 
Read More About the Students >
 
 
 
 
Campus Life
 
 
On-Campus Freshmen Responses:
 
 
 
 
 
 
of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join. 293 responses
 
of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life 206 responses
 POLL
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 112 responses                                               Report
 
 
 
 Work Hard, Play Hard                                         46%
 
 
 
 Competitive                                                        31%
 
 
 If you don't get involved,                                    26%
 you're doing it wrong
 
More  
 
Read More About Campus Life >
 
 
 
 
Colleges like University of California - Malibu
 
 
 
A+
   University of California - Los Angeles
   4 year ·  Los Angeles, CA · ★★★★☆ ·  4,566 reviews
 
 
 
A+
   University of Southern California
   4 year ·  Los Angeles, CA · ★★★★☆ ·  3,421 reviews
 
 
A+
   University of California - Berkeley
   4 year ·  Berkeley, CA · ★★★★☆ · 3,743 reviews
 
 
 
A
   University of California - Santa Barbara
   4 year ·  Santa Barbara, CA · ★★★★☆ ·  4,159 reviews
 
 
 
+ More
 
 
 
 
University of California - Malibu Reviews
★★★★☆ 5,172 reviews
 
 
 
 
 ★★★★★        Excellent             1145
 
 
 ★★★★☆        Very Good           2527
 
 
 ★★★☆☆        Average               1302
 
 
 ★★☆☆☆        Poor                     163
 
 
 ★☆☆☆☆        Terrible                 35
All Categories
  
★★★★★
okay i wrote 5 out of 5 because i actually love ucm but jokingly would give it a solid 2 out of 5 because who tf said there’s cute boys here???? where???? the sad reality when even orange county has cuter boys like yo, i left home and went to school far away for a reason. but i mean, in terms of overall college experience i don’t regret coming here at all! the academics are tough, but there are plenty of resources available to assist students. it’s also great how involved everyone is, whether it be in terms of sports or clubs—it makes ucm seem well-integrated. like you’ll see everyone (yes, even the asians. surprising, i know) attending the football games and cheering our school on (goooOO DOLPHINS!!!!!), which i can’t say about a lot of other colleges. you want a good time? come to ucm kiddos.
Sophomore   ·   2 days ago   ·   Overall Experience
 

 
Start Your Review of University of California - Malibu
 
☆☆☆☆☆
Rate it!
 


★★★★
so these ratings are cute and all but let me tell you the rankings that actually matter, like how we’re 2nd after ucsb in terms of uc party schools (but the only thing ucsb is got on us is...nothing. we are superior) and 1st in bonfire skills (just don’t let derek park anywhere near your bonfire dear lord save us all). “university of chinese males” (asian pop is ridiculously big what can i say we’re the best), and “u cram for midterms” (why are midterms always scheduled on mondays????? i have to waste my liver away on the weekends it’s unfair) are all ty but true nicknames you hear floating around from other uc’s, but i prefer going by “university of charismatic men.” glad i spent my twenties at ucm but minus one star because i’m an economics major and i swear the ing econ department is like how do you make intro micro a 4.8 out of 5 difficulty level how does that remotely make sense it’s supply and ing demand.
Senior   ·   2 months ago   ·   Overall Experience
 
 


★★★★★
when a world-class education is paired with one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation, there’s no way one’s college experience will be anything short of amazing. the majors and minors offered are extremely diverse, and it’s great how you can follow both your academic interests and creative, artistic interests through your major and through clubs, respectively. you can tell people really love being here just by stepping on campus—it’s constantly bustling, and i’m not going to lie that even the first time i stepped onto ucm for a college tour i could just feel how happy the students were.
Senior   ·   3 months ago   ·   Overall Experience
 
Read More Reviews >