0 차 : the prologue

   풀어 ( POUR UP )  :  school has officially started!
 
 
00
00
 
 
hello everyone and welcome back to the Nut podcast where we talk about everything ucm related: the good and the bad.
 
for starters, hope orientation week is going well for everybody. a couple of reminders.
 
club forms are due in two weeks. make sure to turn them in with the correct information — and baby dolphins, don't worry. it's club day this wednesday so you'll be able to sign up for the club you want.
 
hopefully everybody got the classes they wanted and if not, don't sweat. you always have next semester! in regards to classes, i know some teachers let students sit in just incase someone drops out so you should ask your teachers! initiative looks real good, ya'feels?
 
on another note, i'm sad to say that the starbucks on 34th has lost their best barista: jameson. he's gone to the east coast for his graduate program and a word of advice, he was the only nice barista there so freshman, avoid that starbucks if you can!! 
 
jameson and his free espresso shots during finals week, you will be missed.
 
that's all for now so let's go. the song of the day is just for one night by blonde featuring astrid s.
 
stay nutty, fellow dolphins. hazel signing out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
JENN TALKS FOR THE BOTH OF US!
JENN TALKS FOR THE BOTH OF US!
hello hello! we're out with the prologue! since our deadline is 5 days away — i know we've been blasting u guys with info but if you need an extension let us know!! — we just wanted to start off the story with a lil sneak peek into the beginning of the school year. can't wait to read all your apps and ty everyone!
 
 
In Eliza’s defense, she’d wanted to sleep by 10 pm.
 
Moving all ten of her boxes (she’s a hoarder, yell at her) from storage to her new dorm room had been a pain in the when Elijah and Derek complained about their back pains for the majority of the three hours they helped, and by the time she finally got to pushing the last of her 3-subject notebooks into precarious piles on her scarcely decorated desk, she had been ready to drop dead and sleep until the first day of classes.
 
But alas, Eliza had forgotten about the most important event of the term: class selection.
 
“I can’t believe we’re pulling all nighters before school even starts,” Eliza grimaces before popping a shrimp cracker into , flicking the powdery crumbs onto Grace’s oversized hoodie to annoy her. The latter indignantly grunts before making the motions to kick her best friend with a striped fuzzy sock before turning back to her computer, scrolling aggressively through the list of classes she wants.
 
“Well, it can’t be helped that both of us aren’t confident enough at waking up on time,” Grace sighs before flipping tabs to Spotify, changing her obscure lofi hip hop track to a “LET’S GET IT LET’S GET ING PUMPED AHHHHH IT UCM I GET THE CLASSES I WANT” playlist. Getting assigned a 5:30 am time slot for class selections had been frustrating but inevitable, and Grace had insisted the two just stay up less they miss getting their picks altogether.
 
Grace and Eliza had become notorious on their dorm floor freshman year for both sleeping like the dead and having collectively 18 separate alarms between them, almost all of which they usually slept through. Needless to say, their respective roommates hadn’t been too happy to wake up every 4 minutes to a song blasting near their heads.
 
So here they were, 5:03 am, DVP third floor computer lab since the wifi in their dorm rooms was too spotty to be trustworthy for such an important task.
 
And as sophomores — the awkward middle-child grade no one in admin actually cared about — it was more important than ever to be prompt with this kind of thing, less you end up like Class of 2014 John Jung: staying an extra term because he slept through class registration.
 
“Honestly I’m so scared I’m not going to get into Professor Jenkin’s class again,” Grace groans loudly enough for the group of white boys in the row behind them to give her the stink eye — but she understands; everyone gets a little high-strung when they get the 5:30 am slot — “Genghis Khan says he only got in on his fifth try. This is my second. The odds are terribly against me,” she says miserably.
 
“Well your soulmate also has the worst luck,” Eliza stifles a giggle as she checks the clock. 5:07 am. Oh, if time moved just any slower. “Considering he knocked over a whole tower of toilet paper rolls once? Or that one time he got a ticket for jaywalking when literally no one gets caught for that. Unbelievable.”
 
Grace grumbles under her breath as she stares at the world clock open on her screen (“To make sure we get on registration on time by the second,” she says with dead seriousness when they first walk into the lab). “Well let’s hope both of us have enough luck to get what we want. This is more intense than that one time we used 8 devices to buy Big Bang tickets.”
 
“Honestly, I want to get into Digital Figure Modeling more than I want to see Taeyang right now.”
 
“The truth hurts.”
 
Edit profile
Grace™
@gracebokchoi
i put the gr in great
@elizakimchi and i r veggie swaggers
402 following       681 followers
 
tweets
tweets & replies
media
likes
 
 
Grace™  @gracebokchoi  •  1hr
ok good night to me and @elizakimchi catch y'all later
 
Grace™  @gracebokchoi  •  2hr
me @ me ur a bad for taking sociology aka a major not in the t5 bc i like my sleep and taking my needed classes without a fight
 
Grace™  @gracebokchoi  •  2hr
a moment of silence for @elizakimchi who’s changing her major from digital design & media to astronomy LOLOLOL
 
Grace™  @gracebokchoi  •  3hr
HAHAHAH ELIZA COULDN’T EVEN GET A GOOD SOCIAL STUDIES REQ CLASS BC SHE WAS STUCK ON SOME FINANCIAL THING rip my love
 
Grace™  @gracebokchoi  •  3hr
when @elizakimchi forgot to do her pre-orientation beforehand so she gotta fill that out while the cloCK IS TICKING N CLASSES FILLIN UP
 
Grace™  @gracebokchoi  •  3hr
I GOT INTO 240 I’D LIKE TO THANK NOT ONLY GOD BUT JESUS AND MY MOM AND DAD AND JENKINS’ MOM AND DAD
 
Grace™  @gracebokchoi  •  4hr
like it’s a new yr,, a new generation
 
Grace™  @gracebokchoi  •  4hr
istg if professor jenkins makes his math 240 class only jrs again i’m cutting a
For the time of day, DVP is surprisingly bustling with activity as sophomores — nevermind the unshowered heads of hair and various states of sloppy dress — stream out of computer labs, some cheering over their successful registration sessions while others wail in despair over their meager pickings.
 
“I can’t believe-” Eliza starts with a note of disbelief in her voice, “I only got one class. Some random social studies req class at that. How did I not get any major classes?” Grace just pats her friend’s head sympathetically as the two start down the hallway with the rest of their classmates.
 
“At least you got onto the waiting lists?” Grace offers a strawberry Hi Chew, which her friend takes glumly. “Plus, we all know people drop out after the first week. Also, astronomy sounds kind of..fun I guess. It could be worse; you could’ve been stuck in “Fascist Cinemas” or some other ty Comm class. Like you’ll be able to look at stars and . Teach me about the Ursula major thing.”
 
“The Ursa Major,” Eliza corrects with a hint of amusement, in a noticeably brighter mood. “And true. The class description sounded pretty cool. I’ll ask Sarah unnie for her old notes. I think she took the class with a different prof but it can’t be that different right?”
 
Just as Grace is about to nod affirmative, they hear a loud slam followed by a “ ASTRONOMY. MY LIFE. Professor Hunts gives the worst grades, it’s over this is where I die. And it’s at 9 am too. Oh my god. Bury me with my favorite basketball shorts.”
 
They peer from the doorway into the computer lab they were passing by with a hint of alarm, only to see an Asian guy groaning into his hands as his friend pats his shoulder in comfort. “The Nike ones?” They hear the friend say in dead seriousness.
 
Grace whips her head towards Eliza, who looks back at the former with a stricken expression. “...So I’m not going to enjoy Astronomy I guess?”
 
“Holy ,” Grace starts gasping in laughter, trying to hide the shake of her shoulders. She ignores Eliza’s grumble of why do I keep friends who laugh at my pain. “Sorry boo, I just love this collective misery. I’m sorry Liz, at least you’ll suffer with other people just as sad as you are?”
 
“I’m cry,” Eliza sighs as they reach the staircase leading down to the second floor.
 
“Plus, he looked really cute,” Grace unhelpfully adds, “from what I could see of him. In that like, boy Korean boy kind of way. Is it high time for Eliza Kim to find the man of her dreams? The peanut butter to her jelly? The Taeyang to her Min Hyorin? The right earbud to her left? Even if he’s not your soulmate of course.” She says with an impish smile.
 
Eliza just hums noncommittally. “Keyword wholesome, my dear Grace.”
 
 
 
Hazel can’t remember a time she’d woken up after Eliza in the ten or so years she’d known the younger girl (God bless the younger girl’s inability to wake up before her fifth alarm).
 
Because unlike Eliza, Hazel had always been a morning person, the rise of the sun lending her greater productivity, greater time management, and greater positivity. It manifested itself in the little things — the cup (or cups, depending on how much stress Joseph gave her on any given day) of steaming black coffee on the balcony of her fifth floor apartment, the scratches of a Muji pen rendering the day’s agenda in her Moleskin planner.
 
That’s why she can’t help but raise an eyebrow in surprise when she spots the time stamp on the younger’s Snapchat, because 5:47 am? “Is there some going on with the sophomores today?” She calls out distractedly to her co-tour guide, a tall Filipino boy whose deep eyebags had probably seen better days.
 
“Uhh.. I think registration? Is going on for them right now. Heard T5 classes were hella hard to get into this year since the junior class as a whole didn’t do for their major reqs last year so they stole everything or something. Sophomores probably went through a war zone, hah.” The boy shrugs before fixing his snapback. Hazel just lets out a little ah, nodding slowly as she taps back a reply on her phone.
 
She can’t relate; she’d signed up for all her classes with flying colors from the comforts of her shared apartment with Ashley, a bad Netflix movie streaming on their (janky) television as they sipped on cans of beer and takeout Thai food. Class registration always went by seniority, minus the special privileges Freshman received for being new.
 
“Is everyone back from the bathroom? We gotta get going if we wanna hit up all the way to engineering quad.” Her co-tour guide calls out as a few straggling bright-eyed freshmen shuffle back to the makeshift group around Hazel, some wiping their still-damp hands on their gray “Welcome baby dolphins!” t-shirts (eyesore designs, really, just like the utter disasters that are the official mint tour guide shirts in all their “We sea you need help!” and crudely-rendered-dolphin glory — courtesy ing Derek Park, who let him design anything is up for question).
 
“Yeah, the faster we move, the faster we can all escape this heat,” Hazel sighs as she jumps off the fountain ledge she’d been sitting on, fixing her tour guide shirt as she starts power-walking towards the arts buildings, freshmen waddling after her like ducks. “And if you can’t keep up, deadass I’m not slowing down!”
 
Edit profile
ur fave iced latte ♡
@hzlshns
"you're the only person i know that would use their own face as their header on twitter. that's big energy." — @mteverett
175 following       826 followers
 
tweets
tweets & replies
media
likes
 
 
 pinned tweet
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  2hr
DUMB THINGS MY BABY DOLPHINS HAVE SAID : HAZEL EDITION (noah fence??? ?)
 
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  2hr
replying to @hzlshns
“this is where we’re going to spend our 4 yrs???” uh yes?? u literally accepted and chose to come to ucm why are you acting like this is new
 
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  2hr
replying to @hzlshns
“i hope my soulmate is cute!” first world problems
 
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  2hr
replying to @hzlshns
break time one of them asked to get some water so we’re all waiting for beverly to get back from the water fountain even tho mig told her to drink water before
 
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  2hr
replying to @hzlshns
ok back on track and i hear a “i can’t wait to tell my ucsb friends we’re better” true
 
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  1hr
replying to @hzlshns
"i'm a pre-med bioengineering major w minor in finance" "me too!" yeah ok, for the first 2 weeks
 
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  1hr
replying to @hzlshns
"i signed up for 8 am classes!" baby no,,, come on everybody knows the unspoken rule of college is no 8ams :<
 
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  1hr
replying to @hzlshns
“hazel are u dating that cute paphi boy that just walked by” listen sharon how about u memorize the buildings for ur next class instead
 
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  1hr
replying to @hzlshns
"i can drink a 30 pack all by myself" i heard that b4 why don't we focus on getting an education (don't @ me anybody in kasa)
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  2hr
when @ashleyems miserably waves to u from her tour group and u have that shared moment of pain
 
ur fave iced latte ♡  @hzlshns  •  6hr
why are the grays the ugliest charocaliest shade of gray and why is this mint so light that the white can't be seen who let derek design
 
Hazel is answering another question from a freshman about where so-and-so class is (like she hadn’t mentioned the same building three times already — listen Sharon) when one of the girls in the back lets out a little squeal, and she turns with a raised eyebrow before rolling her eyes when she spots the inevitable.
 
Hazel had actually been expecting one of them to pop up at some point. It’d become daily routine, and when she reached noon without catching even one of them strutting through campus like they were the , she’d been about ready to text Ashley how today is the day, love. The day we pull those lottery numbers — it’s a lucky day.
 
“Listen, can you stop preying on freshmen for a second of your lives?” She deadpans as she catches Elijah throwing a wink and a salute — almost dropping his storage box in the process — at some of the girls in her tour group. Elijah just turns with unnecessary pizzazz, Landon sidling up behind him hugging an equally large box. “Please, do continue on your way.”
 
“Hazel, I know you missed us over the summer but your first greeting of the term is just too kind,” Elijah gasps in dramatic shock, using his knee to balance the box better.
 
“Oh my god, you guys are everywhere stop following me,” Hazel says loudly enough that her voice carries over the heads (or between, considering a lot of the freshmen are taller than her, ) of her little crowd. The tour group bursts into little giggles, watching the upperclassman conversation with unbridled wonder.
 
“You got us Hazel,” Landon barks out a laugh as he quirks a grin, and Hazel dually ignores another squeal that echoes from somewhere in the group. Dear Lord, if the heavenly powers would save that poor girl from Thing 1 and Thing 2. “But Edward will kill me if I confess my dying love for you so sorry, we must part ways for now.” He nods his head towards the boxes. “We’re moving from the House to my apartment to make room for our future padawans.”
 
Hazel just rolls her eyes, clapping her hands as to grab the attention of her baby dolphins and herd them away from Disaster 1 and Disaster 2. “Miguel lead the way,” she calls loudly to her co-tour guide, who’d just been trying to stifle his laugh the whole time, not moving to control the situation at all — the betrayal.
 
“Landon gross, Hazel is like 12,” Elijah continues as though Hazel isn’t trying to expedite her herding process away from them.
 
“12 on a scale of 1 to 10 ,” Landon argues back, yelling out an obnoxiously loud HAZEL LOVE YOU. NOT AS MUCH AS I LOVE EDWARD BUT SEMANTICS BABE. ALSO RUSH PAPHI, BABY DOLPHINS. She just rolls her eyes before waving a hand without looking back.
 
“Anyways, that’s Bendy Straw over there. Everyone’s going to have a class in there at some point or another since all the general education requirements are taken here…” She sighs but not without a quirk of a small grin.
 
Business as usual.