THE HEIR

Vanilla Bean and Strawberry Oil

We rise from the depths of the academy into a blaze of light. The ground floor has been transformed into a spotlit stage ringed by nine dark tiers. Jungyeop seems to be expecting an audience, but he must know by now that the dorms are all empty. The Androids and Ghosts have fled. And yet he’s perfectly composed, as if it were all part of his plan.

“We have a very special guest with us this morning,” Jungyeop confides just before the elevator gates open. “He drove all the way from Incheon to be here. So let’s make sure we show him a good time. Oh, and Flick? Be on your best behavior, please. One wrong move, and I will be forced to turn my taser on Sunggyu.” His grin makes me want to throw up, but I make sure to hold his gaze. No weakness.

I see our guest now. He’s standing in the center of one of the three golden circles—like a token on a board game. He’s been awaiting the next roll of the dice.

“You woke me up in the middle of the night for this?” my father demands.

“Where are your manners, Joohyun?” Jungyeop responds blithely. “I believe an introduction is in order. Joohyun, I’d like you to meet Sunggyu. Sunggyu, this is Flick’s father, Nam Joohyun.”

“I know who he is, Jungyeop,” my dad snarls. “You told me that the future of the academy would be decided tonight. And this is your experiment’s grand finale? If you think my son is going to dispose of his boyfriend, you’re a fool. He’ll die rather than kill him. As eager as I am to win our wager, this could have waited until a more reasonable hour.” For once my father is right about me, even though he doesn't seem proud of what he's saying.

I’ll never be like him. I won’t follow in his footsteps. If I’m forced to choose between my life and my one good thing, I will choose death. And I’ll die without a single regret.

I won’t kill my Haeri*.

I take Sunggyu’s hand, and our fingers lock together. He turns towards me, and I'm nearly blinded. His eyes glow when he smiles. He’s not afraid either.

“I assure you this will not be a waste of your time, Joohyun,” I hear Jungyeop say. “The switch will take place. In a few short minutes, your son will become a predator.”

I watch the two men face off across the courtyard. Jungyeop is grinning. My father is glowering. Everything about this situation seems to disgust him. “Then where are the rest of the board? They need to be here too.”

“They won’t be coming,” Jungyeop replies. “And some are dealing with a little situation of their own at the moment.” It’s almost amusing to see my father regard Lee Jungyeop with the same contempt he always showed me.

“Then this is a violation of our agreement. Nothing can be decided unless there are alumni representatives present.” My father marches toward the exit and shoves a card key into the slot. But the doors won’t open. He tries once more before he charges back across the atrium with his nostrils flared, his chest puffed, and his fists clenched. It’s an intimidating performance. Jungyeop never budges.

“Have you disabled my key?” my dad rages. He’s got at least five inches and fifty pounds on the academy’s headmaster, but that doesn’t seem to matter much to him.

“You’re critical to the experiment, Joohyun,” Jungyeop replies in the patient, patronizing tone of a kindergarten teacher.

“Now that the final stage is in progress, we must see it through to the finish. I’m confident that the experiment will be a success. So confident that I’m even prepared to raise the stakes.” He holds up a folder he’s had tucked under one arm. “If I lose, this is yours to destroy.”

“Is that my file? And you’re carrying it around like it’s a newspaper?!” My father takes another step toward Jungyeop. Sunggyu’s fingers tighten their grip on mine. I’m waiting for my dad to throw his first punch. But he doesn’t. “When the alumni hear about all of this, you won’t have a single supporter left.”

“When the alumni are told what happened here tonight, they’ll know I’ve accomplished something miraculous.” Jungyeop beams.

“No, Jungyeop. After tonight, they’ll finally be able to say what they’ve always believed. That you’re a raving little lunatic.” Jungyeop’s smile is gone the instant that last word reaches his ears. There’s a sadistic smirk on my father’s lips. He knew his insult would wound.

“If that’s what the alumni believe,” Jungyeop snips, “it’s only because you’ve worked so hard to convince them.”

“You’ve been telling yourself the same lie for the last twenty years.” The battle has turned. Jungyeop is on the defensive now, and my father is aiming for the chink in his armor. “You think I’ve dedicated my life to turning the whole world against you, but the alumni didn’t need to be convinced that you’re deranged. Neither did your mother. The facts have always spoken for themselves.”

“Facts you twisted to suit your agenda!” Jungyeop shouts. “You wanted my mother to make you her heir! You’ve been after my rightful inheritance since the day you arrived at the academy!”

My dad sneers. “You forfeited that inheritance when you were fifteen years old, Jungyeop. Do you remember how you spent your holidays that year? You’d fly in from your fancy boarding school and head straight for the academy. You forced so many kids to take that psychopath test that you almost provoked a mutiny. You treated this school like your own little empire and the students like your personal playthings. Even your mother knew you needed professional help. But she had a school to run, and your father wanted nothing to do with any of you. So she asked me to step in.”

Jungyeop sneers. “My mother asked her masterpiece to be my mentor. How touching. I know how highly she thought of you, Joohyun. She always said you were one of a kind. I just wish she could be here to watch me make a thousand little ‘masterpieces’ just like you.”

My father’s upper lip curls into a snarl, and I know he’s about to go in for the kill. “If Aeran were here, Jungyeop, you wouldn’t be allowed within fifty feet of this place.”

“Because of all the lies you told!” Jungyeop cries, his face a fiery crimson.

My dad shakes his head. “Lies? I never said a word to Aeran the day I caught you in the act. I just took her down to the basement and let her see for herself what her fifteen-year-old son had been doing." His eyes flash with a disgust I had never seen before, not even towards me. "Hoarding bodies that should have been cremated. Cutting them open and taking things out. Dissecting their organs and putting their brains in glass jars.”

“What difference did it make? The bodies were going to be destroyed!” Jungyeop’s tone has grown shrill, while my father’s voice has deepened and darkened.

“You had no right! Even the weakest student ever admitted to this school was a hundred times stronger than you’ll ever be. They may have died, but they survived long enough to die with dignity. Your mother understood that. What you did to those bodies disgusted her. I never said you should be banished. The truth is, your mother didn’t ask for my advice. If she had, I would have told her to kill you. Even then I could see what might happen if this school ever fell into your hands." He now sounded resigned. “Do you really think your mother would approve of the things you’ve been doing here? Experimenting on the students? Slicing up the dead children’s brains? Feeding the living ones pills? What would she say about Excelem, Jungyeop?”

“She would say it’s an elegant solution to the discipline issues we’ve always faced here at the academy. We haven’t had a single revolt since the predator students began taking the pills. I think she would see it as proof that I deserve the headmaster position.”

“Oh really? And how do you think she’d feel if she knew that you disposed of your own sister to get the job?”

“Aehee died in a car accident,” Jungyeop sniffs.

“You’re even crazier than I imagined if you honestly think I believe that.”

Jungyeop glares at my father for a moment. Then he takes a deep breath. By the time he exhales, his smile has returned. “I can find a hundred psychiatrists who will testify to my sanity, Joohyun. But that’s not the subject we’re here to discuss. I’m on the verge of a scientific breakthrough.”

“There’s no goddamned gene, Jungyeop!” My father’s shout fills the whole atrium. “We’ve been paying dozens of geneticists top dollar to search for it. It’s been five years now. I’ve read all of the reports. They haven’t found anything! The gene doesn’t exist!”

“It does. Which brings us back to the reason I invited you to the academy this morning, Joohyun. I want to present the proof you’ve demanded.”

My father points at me. “He is not going to be your proof, Jungyeop.”

“If that’s what you think, then you should have no problem seeing our agreement to its conclusion,” Jungyeop notes. “You said I’d never be able to turn him into a predator. You said he didn’t have what it took. Well, I believe he does. Flick has the gene, Joohyun, just like you. And in a few short minutes, I’ll activate it.”

“Stop saying that ridiculous name. His name isn’t Flick,” my father sneers. “It’s Nam Woohyun. And if you weren’t so demented, you’d be able to see that he and I have nothing in common.”

I feel Jungyeop’s free arm slide around my shoulders. “Your insults are wasted on me. I know you’re afraid of us.”

“I’ll show you how frightened I am.” My father straightens his spine and seems to grow two inches. “You think that little toy taser can stop me from snapping your neck?”

Jungyeop doesn’t flinch. “Go ahead, Joohyun. Kill me. But you’ll never get control of the academy. It will pass to my heir instead.”

My dad snorts. “You’re not capable of producing children. Your mother didn’t have the heart to get rid of you, but at least she listened to the board of directors and made sure you wouldn’t reproduce.” When I hear Sunggyu's soft intake of breath, I know I didn’t misinterpret that last part.

“True,” Jungyeop concedes placidly. He won’t lose his cool again. “But I’m quite capable of choosing an heir. Flick and I may not share DNA, but we were forged in the same fire. Luctor et emergo, Joohyun. We’ve both suffered at your hands. Now it’s time for us to rise.” He seems to refuse to say my given name. Flick was the one who attended Woolim, and Flick was the one that he could control. To him, I am just Flick.

I watch my father ponder the news. He’s trying to figure out if it’s true. “I hope you heard that!” he finally shouts. It takes me a second to realize he’s not speaking to anyone in the room. He’s addressing all the academy’s bugs. “I’m looking forward to playing tonight’s tapes for the board.”

“The listening devices are automatically shut off at curfew, Joohyun,” Jungyeop informs him. “Don’t you remember? It was one of the cost-cutting measures you forced me to implement. And you’ve already had your last meeting with the board of directors. The time has come for you to watch your son become a predator. I’m afraid it will be the last thing you see. Because he’s going to kill you.”

The shock hits me so hard that I laugh. The sound appears to confuse my dad. He studies my face for a moment but doesn’t seem to find what he’s looking for. “Are you?” he demands. Sunggyu is squeezing my hand hard enough to crack a few bones. The answer is no. But I’m not going to say so. “Wait—is this the kind of choice you told me I’d face here? I thought you said it was supposed to be hard.”

“This is no time for jokes, Woohyun,” my father says. He never appreciated my sense of humor. “Before you make your decision, there are a few things you should know. Did Jungyeop tell you why your brother died?”

“Yeah. Myungsoo found out you’re a crook and confronted you.”

“Did Jungyeop tell you that he was the one who gave him the information? It was his first attempt to get me out of the way. He didn’t want anyone associated with the academy to know, so he went behind the alumni’s backs and tried to use my own son to destroy me.” This is the father who once seemed like a god to me. A pathetic, broken man who beat his children and still blames other people for the things that he’s done.

“The information didn’t kill Myung, Dad. You did.”

“I never expected your brother to die,” Jungyeop assures me. “I’m afraid I miscalculated.” I close my eyes. I don't want to listen to either of them right now. To me, they might as well could have shoved Myungsoo down the stairs together. The attempt to gain my sympathies from both sides make me feel sick - as if I would join either.

“Myungsoo was not your toy!” my father bellows. “He was my son!”

“I didn’t treat him like a toy,” Jungyeop argues. “I simply gave him a few documents from your file.”

“A blatant abuse of academy data!” This is the rage that would have once sent me running. Now I see a man who’s lost control. “You should have been forced to resign. It was a perfect example of how dangerous you are—not just to me but to every graduate of this academy. But only half of the alumni had the guts to fight you. The rest were all terrified you’d turn on them next.”

“You had just murdered one of your sons, and you were demanding control of my family’s academy. Which of us seemed unhinged, Joohyun? Under the circumstances, I think it was quite sporting of me to offer to settle the dispute with a wager.”

“A wager that would force me to sacrifice my one remaining son!”

“Yes, it was very noble of you to accept my offer. But I don’t think you’re giving yourself enough credit. You had to make two sacrifices, didn’t you, Joohyun?”

My father goes silent. He’s panting softly as he takes out a handkerchief and wipes his brow. He folds the fabric into a smaller square and tucks it back in his pocket before he speaks again. “Our agreement forbids either of us from discussing that subject.”

Two sacrifices?

“And it forbid you from referring to me as insane. So I think we can both agree that our agreement is now null and void.”

Two sacrifices?

“What was the second sacrifice?” I demand.

Jungyeop sighs. “You never opened the present I left on your computer, did you?” he asks.

When you’re ready. The folder he said contained a reason to live. “No.”

“Ah, then you’re missing a crucial piece of data.” Jungyeop thumbs through my father’s file and plucks out a photo. “There was something standing in the way of our wager. Or rather someone. Someone who might have gone looking for her son.”

I remember what Hoya said. Most of the kids at this school are orphans. The rest might as well be. And my father confirmed it the day I was arrested. The academy only recruits students who are alone in the world. “You can’t mean . . .”

“A picture’s worth a thousand words,” Jungyeop says as he holds the photograph out to me.

“I thought you knew!” Sunggyu whispers when I drop his hand to take the photo. “It was in the file!”

“I never opened the file.”

The photo shows my mother lying on her bed at our house in Incheon.

No, not lying.

Being held down.

There are three men in the room with her. Two have her pinned to the bed. My father is injecting a syringe full of liquid into one of my mother’s arms.

“Who took this photo?”

“An associate,” Jungyeop responds.

“What does it mean?” I know, but I want to hear it from him.

“It means your mother didn’t commit suicide. She was put to sleep.”

I hold the photo out so my dad can see it. “You killed her? So that I’d be able to enter the academy? So you could win your f—ing wager?!”

Never once in my entire life have I seen my father struck dumb. I’ve watched him charm confederates, outsmart rivals, and devastate enemies with a few well-chosen words. He was always prepared.

Now my father’s silence is his confession. My father always told me that I was my mother’s son. He made it sound like an insult, but I didn’t give a damn because it meant she was mine.

Then he took her away, and I had no one left.

He’s keeping his eyes fixed on me. My rage is steadily building. The demon has returned. I will rip the bastard limb from limb. I want him to suffer. I want him to feel the pain he put me through. I want him to know the terror and devastation I felt the morning I found out I was all alone.

“Speak!” I shout.

“I did what I had to do,” he tells me. And I can see he believes it. He’s proud of himself. He’s proud of how far he was willing to go. “I don’t regret it.”

“Myungsoo told her he had proof of your father’s crimes. She thought she was finally free to file for divorce,” Jungyeop says. “But you couldn’t let her escape, could you, Joohyun?” I’m already across the atrium. My body slams into my father’s. He sails backward and falls hard on the tile floor. I’m on top of him. Left hand on his throat. Right hand pounding his face. It feels good.

I won’t stop until he’s as hideous as Myungsoo was that night at the funeral home.

Until his eyes bulge in terror the way my mother’s did in that picture.

Until he’s dead.

But as good as it feels, I know something’s not right. My father is not fighting back.

“-oohyun!. Woohyun!!” The static in my brain is so deafening that I’m not even certain I heard him. But I glance up at Sunggyu. Jungyeop has him by the arm. He’s ordering him to stay quiet. But he doesn’t need to speak. I can see my reflection in his face.

I know I’m the one who’s hideous.

I take my weight off my father’s chest and shake out my fist. Jungyeop doesn’t seem worried that the fight may have ended. “There’s something else in the file, Flick.” His arsenal isn’t quite empty yet.

“Your father remarried a few months after your mother’s death. His wife gave birth two weeks ago. Congratulations on your new son, Joohyun.”

“Son?” I mumble.

“Son,” Jungyeop repeats.

And I start to laugh. I can tell by the way he said it. Son.

That crazy little f—er thinks he’s located my switch. He thinks he’s found the secret word that will turn me into a mindless killer. It’s absolutely hilarious. That someone could have studied me for so long—and know absolutely nothing about me.

I’m still grinning when I bend down until my face is less than an inch from my father’s. His breathing’s a bit labored, but he’s nowhere near dead. I can’t smell any trace of alcohol. He must have come here sober.

“Don’t think you’re getting off easy. I’m going to do something much worse than kill you,” I whisper. “I’m going to take away everything you have. Your money and power. Your fancy house and expensive cars. I’m going to make sure you spend the rest of your life in a prison. And while you’re locked up, I’m going to find your son and do everything I can to make sure he grows up to be nothing like you.”

Then I stand up and offer my father a hand. I don’t know why, but I do, and he takes it. “Did you hear that, Jungyeop?” he rasps as he struggles to his feet. “The hybrid refuses to fight. Your experiment has failed.”

“No, Joohyun.” When I see Jungyeop smiling, I know the show isn’t over.

Then I realize how close he’s standing to Sunggyu.

He flinches and stumbles forward. Jungyeop’s taser gun must be pressed to the small of his back. “You won’t be leaving. Kill him, Flick. Or I’ll kill Sungygu.”

My head reels.

“This is between me and my son now,” my father insists. “The boy has nothing to do with it.”

“Sunggyu knew he was taking a risk when he came here,” Jungyeop says. “And he knows why I can no longer allow him to stay. But if Flick kills you, I’ll allow him to execute Sunggyu as well. Otherwise, I’m afraid I’ll have to do it myself. And I’ll make his death very slow.” He takes out a dagger from inside his coat and holds it at Sunggyu’s throat. “And extremely painful.”

I hold myself back from making any move. Jungyeop has outmaneuvered all of us. Even my father sees it now.

“It doesn’t matter how many people die tonight,” my father sneers. “No one will believe that your ridiculous experiment succeeded. You have no evidence. No witnesses.”

“Oh, Joohyun.” Jungyeop sighs. “You think so little of me. Of course I don’t expect anyone to take me at my word. That’s why I’ve invited observers!” We hear the familiar sound of five dozen doors unlocking at once. I’m eager to see the shock on Jungyeop’s face when he realizes the rooms are all empty.

But I’m the one whose jaw drops.

Androids and Ghosts file out of the dorms and form lines at the elevator banks. Something has gone terribly wrong. I look back at Sunggyu. The sight of his paling face hurts more than any beating I’ve ever received.

The first batch of students arrives on the ground floor. Sungyeol steps out and marches straight toward the headmaster. He’s still dressed in the black executioner’s garb that he wore to watch over me and Seungyeon.

But now he’s wearing a triumphant smile as well.

Just as I lunge at him, two large Androids grab me from behind. Another pair takes my father prisoner. The second elevator delivers its passengers to the bottom of the atrium and the first begins its climb back to the dorms, where the rest of the spectators are waiting.

“Meet our new Dux,” Jungyeop says, motioning to Sungyeol and giving Sunggyu a push forward. I hurry to catch him as he stumbles.

The hands holding the weapons drops to his side. Now that his army has arrived, he has no need of a hostage.

“Congratulations,” I tell Sungyeol with a sneer. “You’ve really earned the title.”

“Thanks,” Sungyeol replies, grinning from ear to ear. If there were one person I could kill at this moment, it would be my old ally. It’s bad enough that he double-crossed us. But now Sunggyu’s going to die with his faith shattered.

He’s been betrayed by the very people he risked everything to help.

The last two groups of students descend from the dorms. “Form a circle!” Sungyeol barks at them, and the five of us are surrounded. “Don’t let any of the prisoners leave until this is over.”

“Are we ready?” Jungyeop asks.

“Yes, sir,” Sungyeol responds.

But Jungyeop is no longer listening. He’s noticed the same strange scent I have.

Jungyeop sniffs the air, and I see the confusion on his face when he realizes it’s smoke. But the alarms remain silent and the sprinklers haven’t been activated. I spot flames flickering inside one of the rooms on the seventh floor. I glance over at Jungyeop.

Yeon and Hwan, Sunggyu’s friends from the Suites, have positioned themselves behind the headmaster. One seizes his arms while the other knocks the Taser and dagger out of his hand. The contents of my father’s file spill onto the floor.

“What are you doing?” Jungyeop demands. He doesn’t understand. I’m not sure I do either.

“We struggled, now we’re rising. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to work?” Sungyeol steps forward to give Sunggyu a hug, and the Androids set me free.

“But I gave you the title!” Jungyeop cries. “Do you know what that means? In a few short years, you’ll be one of the richest people on earth! What else could you want?”

“Justice,” Sungyeol responds. “You murdered my friend Sungjong.”

“I didn’t murder anyone,” Jungyeop insists. “Sungjong lost!”

“And now it looks like you’ve lost too,” Sungyeol says. “Hwan?”

Jungyeop’s head seems tiny between Hwan’s enormous hands. It was just a game when other people were dying. Now he knows the truth—it’s all real.

And he’s finally stopped smiling.

Dongwoo joins us and frowns a bit. “Is it really necessary to kill him?”

“You’re sweet,” says Sungyeol, giving Dongwoo a pat on the shoulder. “But you’re just going to have to trust me on this one.”

The snap is much louder than I expected. Jungyeop crumples. Too easy.

Hwan takes his torso. Yeon takes his legs. Together they toss the corpse into one of the elevators. Sungyeol presses the button for the ninth floor, and the car begins to rise. Dongwoo gathers up the documents from my father’s file and presents them to Sunggyu, along with Jungyeop’s knife and Taser.

I stare at Sunggyu weirdly when he snatches the knife away quickly but I hurriedly dismiss it.

“Why are you guys still here?” I ask. “Did something go wrong?”

“Yeah. No one wanted to leave,” Sungyeol replies. “Not without you and Sunggyu. So we crammed into my room and put together a plan. We were about to stage a rescue mission when Jungyeop came upstairs. Lucky for us, he was there to see me. I had forty-four people hiding in my bathroom when he said he’d make me Dux if I helped him put on a show. Worked out pretty nicely, I’d say.”

“Did you start the fire?” I ask.

“Fires. There’s one in every dorm room. Seems Dongwoo’s been lifting matches from the chemistry lab since he got here.” Dongwoo titters in glee as he looks up at the fires.

Regardless of the burning heat, Sunggyu seems cold and grips his sides firmly. “But why haven’t the alarms gone off?” he inquires.

“You can thank Hwan and Flora for that. They figured out how to disable the sprinkler and alarm systems. By the time the fire department gets their hoses hooked up, the blaze should be too hot to put out. An old building like this will burn straight to the ground. And now, if you don’t have any objections, we should probably get cracking before we all end up barbecued.”

I look up and see Jungyeop’s elevator stop on the ninth floor. The top three balconies are already engulfed in flames.

“By the way, who’s the suit with the two black eyes?” Sungyeol asks, pointing at someone behind me. “Good guy or bad guy?”

I forgot my father. No one’s holding him anymore. I don’t think anyone’s been watching him, either. He might have escaped. But he’s standing there mesmerized. Like he’s waiting to see how the show will end.

“Bad guy,” I tell him.

“What do you want us to do with him? Send him up in the other elevator?”

“No,” I say. “I’m taking him to see the police.”

• • •

Forty-seven students and one prisoner are walking east. The sun’s rising ahead of us, and the streets are still empty.

I have a tight grip on my father’s elbow and Mandel’s Taser jammed into his armpit. Sunggyu and Sungyeol have been lagging behind us. When everyone else heads for the colony, they’ll be coming to the police station with me.

There’s a blast behind us, and I hear glass shower down on the street. I turn to see thick black smoke pouring from the academy’s windows and flooding the narrow canyon between the buildings. High above, one of the rooftop towers is now a radiant pyre. The other must have just collapsed. My dad stands with his head tilted back and his arms hanging limp at his sides.

“Spectacular, isn’t it?” I ask.

“Yes,” he responds. That’s it. Just yes.

“Guess the academy won’t be helping any more kids.”

“It’s only a building, Woohyun. If it can’t be repaired, it can be replaced.”

“Really? Sounds expensive. Who’s going to foot the bill?”

He responds with a weary snort. “That’s a ridiculous question . . .”

“Is it? Jungyeop’s dead. You’re going to jail. And the files are hidden where you’ll never find them. So who’s going to force the alumni to chip in the millions of bucks it would take to rebuild this place?”

There’s a second explosion, this one much louder than the last. I know the glass pyramid above the atrium has caved in when a ball of flames shoots into the sky.

“Game over, Dad. You and Jungyeop both lost.”

I want him to argue, but he only nods. In fact, he seems almost resigned. He turns his back to the blaze and starts walking again. I refuse to let the conversation end until I’ve been satisfied. It won’t feel like a victory if my father accepts his defeat. I hurry to catch up with him.

“So what’s it like?” I demand as I match his stride. “To know your own son helped destroy the Lee-Kwon legacy? How does it feel to watch the school that saved you burn to the ground?”

“Do you really want to know?” he asks. “Will you listen if I tell you?”

“Are you kidding? I’m all ears.”

“Aeran told me there were only two ways out of the academy, and I never once questioned her. Until a couple of months ago. Remember our drive from the airport? I told you about the choice I’d faced when I was a student. And you claimed that Myungsoo wouldn’t have killed Haeri if he’d been in my shoes. When you said he would have done something else, I knew you were right. He would have found another way out. So I started to wonder if you’d be able to find one too.”

“I didn’t,” I tell him. “Sunggyu did. He saw the way out. I never thought his plan would work.”

“But you were smart enough to trust him, weren’t you?” He pauses. “I knew the real reason Jungyeop wanted Sunggyu at the school. He was going to make him your Haeri. Or make you his. One of you would have to kill the other—and then there would be no going back.

“You might not believe this, but the day before Sunggyu entered the academy, I went to Guryong Street with an envelope stuffed with cash—enough money to help him disappear. I was waiting outside when he got home. But the second he turned the corner, a bunch of kids rushed out to greet him. Scrawny, filthy, happy little kids. I saw that, and I knew Jungyeop had made a mistake. Sunggyu was never going to play his game. And if he was at the academy, neither would you. So I didn’t try to stop Sunggyu. I let him come find you.”

This wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to rub my father’s nose in his failure. I wanted him to threaten me. Or beg me to let him go. I grab my father by the tie and shove the taser under his chin.

“What the f— are you saying?” I shout. “Am I supposed to thank you for letting Sunggyu risk his life? What if he had been my Haeri? What if Jungyeop had made me kill him?”

“He couldn’t,” my father chokes. His lips are turning blue. He isn’t able to breathe.

“...Woohyun?” Sunggyu’s voice echoes softly from behind me. I don’t want to see his horrified face again, so I don’t look back, and I push my dad back.

But he should know how close he came to joining Jungyeop in hell. He should know that he needs to keep his mouth shut. But he hasn’t even paused to catch his breath. He’s just kept on talking.

“I’ve never forgotten the last thing Haeri said to me the night he bled to death. I’d wanted it to be quick the way it was with my father, but I’d botched the whole thing. He must have been in horrible pain, and I couldn’t stand to watch him suffer. So I left him there all alone.” He gulps as if I am still choking him, keeping him from breathing.

“But before I went, I heard Haeri say he felt sorry for me. After it was over, I tried to convince myself that it was proof of how weak he was—that he couldn’t even bring himself to hate the person who’d killed him. But I think I always understood what he meant. Haeri may have died, but I was the one who’d given up.” I slap him hard.

“I will never feel sorry for you,” I growl. “You killed my brother and murdered my mother. You’re a f—ing monster.”

“If you really believe that, then why didn’t you destroy me back there when you had the chance?”

My grip tightens on the taser, and my knuckles are white with tension. “Why don’t I do it right now?”

“Woohyun, no!” Sunggyu staggers over to me and wraps his arms around me. I don’t even question why.

“Why not?!”

“He doesn’t hate me like you do,” my dad says. “Maybe he’s able to see something you can’t.”

“Sunggyu never saw Myungsoo lying dead on an embalming table. He never saw mom bawling her eyes out every time you found where she’d hidden us. Sunggyu never saw you hit a ten-year-old for spilling your soju. You can pretend you’ve had some big epiphany, but I’ll always see you for who you are. A liar, a bully, and a murderer. And I’m going to make sure your little boy knows it too. What’s his name, by the way?”

“His name is Haeri.”

“That’s goddamned sick. Take this.” I the taser at Sunggyu and it drops to the floor from his hand. “He won’t make it to the police station if I’m the one holding it.”

I stomp off toward the crowd ahead, leaving Sunggyu with my father. Sungyeol runs over to me just as the wail of fire engines reaches my ears. They can’t be more than a few blocks away. Without any traffic to stop them, they’ll be on the scene within seconds.

“We should break up into smaller groups,” Sungyeol notes. When I can’t speak, he takes charge. “Split into teams of three or four!” he shouts at the other students. “Head in different directions. We’ll meet up again at the park on the corner of Guryong and Yeongjoo."

I check to see if Sunggyu’s heard the order, but he and my father are standing on the sidewalk half a block behind me. They haven’t moved since I gave him the taser. My father seems to be gripping his arms tightly. I see my dad’s lips moving.

Whatever he’s saying has stunned Sunggyu.

I rush back, fists clenched, ready to kill the bastard once and for all. The fire trucks have turned the corner onto our street, and the sirens are deafening. I shove my father away, but falter when the entirety of Sunggyu's weight suddenly shifts over to me. When he looks up at me, there are tears in his eyes.

“What did he tell you!” I shout.

I feel his lips brush my ear and hear his shaky breath.

“H-he says your mother’s alive.”

My eyes snap up. My father is standing a few inches from the curb.

I can’t hear his voice, but his words couldn’t be clearer.

“I’m not a monster.”

Then he takes a step backward into the street.

Right in front of the first fire engine.

• • •

I never saw the body. I never even heard the thump.

I was still expecting my father to reappear when I realized Sunggyu had my hand, and I was running.

He kept trying to stop me, but I just kept on going. Faster and faster, until he finally fell. I remember hitting the ground due to the momentum and wondering why it felt so soft. When I rolled over I saw green leaves and blue sky and Sunggyu’s beautiful face.

For a moment I was sure we were both in Never Land. “Where are we?” I heard myself shout. “What is this place? What’s happened to us?”

“Shhh, Woohyun,” Sunggyu hushed me. “It’s the park... we’re safe.”

“Where’s my dad?” I demanded.

“I’m so sorry.” He tried to hug me, but I pushed him back, not noticing his wince.

“He’s not dead! It’s some kind of trick! He’s a liar, Sunggyu. A big f—ing liar! He told you my mom is alive so I’d just have to lose her again!”

“He gave me an address,” Sunggyu replied softly. “It’s somewhere upstate.”

“It’s a graveyard!” I insisted. “He’s a monster.”

“Maybe he was,” Sunggyu said. “But he might not have died one. We’ll take the next train we can get.”

“I’m not going.”

“We’re going together.”

“But what if . . .” What if she’s dead, I thought. What if he’d found another way to hurt me? And what if she’s not dead, I wondered. What would it mean? “Not today. Please? Not today.”

“All right, then.” Sunggyu covered my face with kisses before he whispered and closed his eyes, “Tomorrow.”

It was only then that my vision finally cleared and looked at Sunggyu properly for the first time since the escape.

And his sweat filled face.

And his tightly clenched eyes.

And his furrowed eyebrows.

The angry tone in my voice dropped quickly and softened, with a tinge of anxiousness. “Sunggyu? What’s wrong?” I whispered softly.

I can’t hide the nervousness in my voice.

Something was terribly wrong.

“I’m fine.” He gasped slightly. “Let’s just… let’s just get off the ground, Hyun.” I held him down firmly instead and scanned over his body.

He was still gripping his side.

The pieces slowly put itself together in my head so quickly that I wondered how I wasn’t able to see earlier.

Jungyeop had been holding a knife - Sunggyu had taken Jungyeop’s knife away before I could see.

We had been in a burning building, but he had been shivering. He had been holding his side.

I had been too focused on my father, he had been falling behind. He told me to stop.

My father was gripping his arms tightly, he had been holding him up.

I had not paid attention, he had looked pale and flinched every time I touched him.

Why didn’t I notice? Why did I not suspect? Why did I not see it?!

‘I had been too busy worrying about myself to notice anything about Sunggyu.’ I nearly lurched back from the realization.

“Sunggyu?” My voice was hoarse as I took his face in my hands, but his eyes were shut.

Nothing should have been more important. I had promised myself. Promised him.

Nothing that I gained was worth this.

*Chapter 20: HAERI

AN: MUAHAHAHAHA!!! WILL IT END HAPPY OR SAD? STAY TUNED!

But everything aside, I tried to portray different sides of Woohyun's relationship with his father. There are new faces of Joohyun that was never shown before, and with those, you guys can draw whatever conclusion you guys want with it - whether he's the bad guy, or poor good guy. 

Woohyun though, is not unbiased. Throughout the course of the story, he is strong and steady, and never doubts. With his father however, he falters and doesn't know what to do. Because of all his past experiences, he automatically assumes that his father can do no good, and all his rationality goes out the window.

I don't know, you guys tell me - What did you guys think about the chapter? 

See you guys next time XD