7 - Chaewon

things my heart used to know

They found her, settled her in a room of their house, and decided to host a ball in her homage. Chaewon was thankful, but she felt curiously empty.

She imagined it was because of the sudden change, and, gripping the butterfly medallion, she stared at the mirror, hearing the sounds of a party going on downstairs. The girl in the mirror - white dress, long satin gloves, the butterfly medallion on prominent display - didn’t seem to Chaewon like… Well, like herself.

It was quite the shock. She had been used to a simple life, of simple luxuries, and now, this; whatever this was. Had she made the right choice, deciding to be Chaewon, instead of staying comfortably as Go Won? With a sigh, she put a strand of blonde hair behind her ear, and sat on a comfortable chair.

She felt alone, in this room - Yves had told her to wait before going downstairs, and she missed… Well, right now, she missed Heejin. She wanted Heejin by her side at the party, Heejin making her company, but Heejin probably wasn’t ever going to see her again. She had other priorities, now. Such as spending the reward money in... Whatever. Shaking her head, she decided to not think about the subject anymore, as the door opened.

“There you are, Go Won!” Called Chuu, chattering like a locomotive, and Chaewon smiled at her friend. Yves didn’t seem to be near - probably socializing; she always had been good at it -, and Chuu stopped when she properly looked at her face. “Is there something wrong?”

“Maybe?” Chaewon replied, and Chuu sat by her side, on the armrest. “I just don’t feel like I… Belong.”

“That’s okay. You haven’t been in nobility circles for quite a while, Go Won, so you’re bound to feel that way.” Chuu grinned, grabbing her hands. “By the way, I haven’t seen Heejin around! Is she coming?”

Chaewon tore her eyes away from Chuu, who made an inquisitive noise.

“I think she may busy, spending the reward money.” There was a clear bitterness in her voice, and Chuu made another inquisitive noise. “Why would she be here, anyway? She didn’t care about me.”

“No, you’re… Quite wrong, Go Won.” Started Chuu, and Chaewon looked at her, curious. “She went back, once you went home, and refused the reward money, if Yves and I went to see you. We did try offering her once more, after, but she refused, saying that since you were back home, she was satisfied…”

Heejin had done that for her? Refused the money that she had come to Paris for? And Chaewon was thinking badly of her. How noble of a princess.

She jumped out of her chair, almost making Chuu fall down.

“Do you know…?” She asked, and before her question was even finished, Chuu said an address. She made a vague gesture, silently asking how she knew, and Chuu shrugged - she was wearing a pretty black dress, and it matched her.

“I looked up. But go quickly, if you want to come back.” Chuu seemed to almost plead her to come back, eyes full of fear, and Go Won nodded.

“I left once, and I’m not going to do that again.” Grabbing the fabric of her dress, she smiled at Chuu, deciding that running would buy her time.

She had to find Heejin.


Heejin - luck was on her side, tonight - was sitting on the handrail of a bridge, in the way to the address Chuu had given her, looking to the street, dressed up in her usual white dress and leather jacket combo. She looked great, and blinked in quick surprise when she saw Chaewon arriving, huffing to try and catch her breath.

Running had been a terrible, terrible idea, but love did weird things to people’s head.

“Heejin.” Chaewon started, when she regained a little of her breath. The girl in question jumped from her seat, not falling off by a mere question of instinct, and looked at Chaewon with careful, guarded eyes.

“Your highness. What do I owe the pleasure?” Heejin asked, offering a light curtsy, and Chaewon did her best to avoid pouting.

“I… I wanted some company to the ball they’re giving to me.” Chaewon took a deep breath, the idea that was forming on her head a terrible, terrible one. “And I always wanted to have my first kiss in Paris.”

She never had such idea, but it wasn’t like Heejin would ever know, anyway.

“I’m not nobility. I’m just a simple maid.” Heejin said, and Chaewon shook her head.

“I don’t care. I’m royalty, and I say it doesn’t matter.” Chaewon took Heejin’s hands into her own, and the girl offered a step forward. She was close enough that Chaewon could feel Heejin’s breath on her skin.

Heejin took her face into her hands, kissing her softly for a moment, and let go, after a second, looking into her eyes.

Chaewon did not hesitate, kissing Heejin once more, until she was out of breath.

When she deemed herself satisfied, she smiled at Heejin, letting go, and Heejin - blushing wildly, more than what Chaewon thought possible - smiled back.

“Let’s go, the party awaits us. You already look like a princess, so you'll fit right in” Chaewon said, pulling Heejin with her. Heejin, behind her, smiled warmly, and followed the princess.