6 - Heejin

things my heart used to know

“And you.” Said Sooyoung, after calling out Go Won, turning to Heejin. “Heejin, right?”

She couldn’t act - she hadn’t thought word of her schemes had come so far, but it made sense: the people she had helped get away talked.

“I’ve heard word of your schemes, that you were running something or another to find a look-alike to fool me and Jiwoo. All for the reward, huh? You’re heartless.” Yves continued, and Heejin silently panicked, as she watched

No, not in front of Go Won - she hadn’t said a word about it, kept it under careful wraps, but now, looking at Go Won, who seemed more hurt than anything else, and Heejin wanted to tell her the truth, that she truly believed she was the princess Chaewon.

No, not that; Heejin knew she was the princess Chaewon. The story about the maid that Heejin hadn’t told a soul, not even Hyunjin, nor anyone else was the truth, and the only proof that Go Won was the real princess.

Sooyoung said something else to Go Won, and then Jiwoo, and finally, Lady Viian, but Heejin barely heard, trying to scheme a way that the two royals would listen to her, would give a second chance to Go Won. The reward money wasn’t what mattered, and now, it wouldn’t ever matter: having Go Won back safely with those that loved her was what mattered.

Her heart was torn, but it was alright. There was no good ending for them. Heejin knew this, she just had… Forgotten.

“I’ll stay back,” She told Hyunjin, Go Won barely seeming to listen, before they got out of the royals’ property. “I have something to do while in town, so I might as well.”

Hyunjin looked at her, and then at the doorstep, rolling her eyes before guiding Go Won away. She waited until they turned a corner, and then, with a deep breath, marched down to the doorstep, pounding the door, not caring about being rude.

She was a lowly maid, a peasant. If Sooyoung and Jiwoo expected her to have manners, well, they were wrong.

“What gives you the idea you can do that?” Hissed Sooyoung, opening the door too suddenly, and Heejin almost socked her in the face. “Let us alone to mourn, you con artist.”

“I will not, and if you don’t let me in, I’ll make a scandal on your doorstep,” Heejin replied, calm, and she and Sooyoung had a little stare down, until the older girl sighed, passing a hand through her hair, and allowing her in. “Thank you.”

“Don’t think this will be the usual fare.” She replied, and Jiwoo popped her head from the door of the other room, Viian appearing a second after. “What it is?”

“Go Won is the princess.” Heejin said, and Sooyoung rolled her eyes, as Jiwoo approached slowly, while Viian simply went back to the room.

“Convincing me won’t get you any money, you do know.” Sooyoung sighed, and Heejin balled up her fists.

“I don’t want your money. I want you to recognize Go Won as Chaewon.” She replied, gritted teeth. If giving up the money meant that they’d look at Go Won with other eyes, then so be it; Heejin was fine without it.

And to think she’d change opinions. What didn’t love do, huh?

Wait a minute. Love? No, no - not right now. She could have this discussion with herself later.

The proposal seemed to intrigue Sooyoung - after all, what was the point of presenting a princess Chaewon, with no money for the one that brought her back? No one was that selfless. Heejin knew from her own experience.

“What makes you so sure that she is Chaewon?” Sooyoung asked, and Jiwoo watched in silence. A rarity, if she recalled well; Jiwoo was the type that never stopped chattering.

“I was the maid that opened the panel. That’s how I know it’s true.” At this, Jiwoo gasped, and Heejin decided to use that in her favor. “You were hidden in the mauve room, weren’t you? The Empress’ room.”

Sooyoung seemed ready to explode, but Jiwoo interfered.

“She’s right,” Jiwoo said, and Sooyoung looked at her. “We were in the mauve room, because that’s where Chaewon got calm. Only someone in the scene would know this, Yves.”

Sooyoung looked at her, and then, to Heejin. She still didn't trust Heejin, it seemed, but like hell she was going to let that get to her. As long as they listened to Go Won, Heejin didn't care about herself.

“Where is the girl?” She asked, and Heejin bit the inside of to avoid smiling.


When they came down the stairs, all friendly as if five years hadn’t passed, Heejin offered the princess a curtsy, avoiding looking into her eyes. She kept it up until the door closed, and her arms hurt when she let go.

Her heart also hurt, but this was no time to consider it.

“I told you so.” Hyunjin said, trying to touch her, but Heejin pretended not to see, deciding it was time to retire to bed. Tomorrow was... Another day. She would have to bag her things to go back to... Wherever.

After that, well, it was up to her to decide. Not like she had more plans, anyway.