2 - Heejin

things my heart used to know

With a sigh, she walked through the empty halls of the old palace. It used to be her home, somewhat, but not anymore. Not since the revolution.

Although, Heejin had to admit she had never walked these halls as a noble. She had always been just a lowly maid, and no maid was ever allowed to stop, look around, and gape at the pretty pictures.

But, now, five years after the revolution, this was her home and nest, and as the queen of these halls, she was allowed to roam as much as she wanted. However, right now - as she moved towards the only entrance, a small gap in the ballroom window -, she didn’t spend time looking around.

She had spent the last three days trying to find a perfect princess Chaewon to be her fake. Heejin had held auditions, and had regretted it sorely every time some girl overacted her role.

She remembered the princess Chaewon. She was a quiet sort of presence, fading a bit when in front of her ladies in waiting - Sooyoung and Jiwoo, and Heejin was counting on them not recognizing her - acted up, but to Heejin, she would always be glowing.

Unfortunately for the girls in the auditions, none of them matched the criteria. A pity, really. The money the two ladies in waiting were promising for finding princess Chaewon - who they were so sure was alive, which to Heejin was just a faint, silly hope - would set her for life.

She stopped her train of thought when she heard a faint voice humming a song - wasn’t that the waltz that had played at the last royal ball? -, soft and delicate. Quickening her pace, she arrived at the ballroom, not believing what her eyes saw.

A girl, black hair floating around her as she danced with eyes closed, having fun with herself, humming what definitely was the waltz she had heard at the ball.

No way. No way in hell .

Shaking her head, straightening her jacket, Heejin took a deep breath.

“Who’s there?” She asked, and the girl stopped, opening her eyes - familiar, familiar eyes -, and Heejin kept slowly walking as the girl stopped in front of the painting of the royal family, side by side with the last portrait of princess Chaewon. The clothes were a contrast: the painted princess wore a dress made of the finest silk, and the girl in front of her wore simple, patched clothes. Still...

If it weren’t for the dark hair, the girl could be a grown-up princess Chaewon. But it wasn’t possible, anyway.

As if hearing Heejin, light shined through, and illuminated the girl a little bit better, making her breath get caught in her chest.

There was no way this girl wasn’t princess Chaewon. And if she was, well… The better for Heejin, right?

“Are you…” A pause, and Heejin offered one more step. She didn’t seem to notice. “Heejin?”

Even the voice was the same - soft, quiet, barely there, but carrying power. She gave a step forward.

“Depends on who’s asking.” It would be good if it was the princess.

And if it wasn’t, well - the girl wasn’t looking for Heejin for no reason. She was probably looking to get out of this damned country. Money was money.

“I’d like a passport. I want to go to Paris, but…” The girl gave a step forward, and Heejin wondered if this was her lucky day. Maybe this girl could be the princess Chaewon - she’d just need to dye her hair, and then they’d be set.

She offered the girl a quiet, polite smile.

“But they won’t give passports to anyone, I know.” She walked the small distance between them, allowing herself to analyze the girl better. Yes, her proportions were quite right. “I’m Heejin. Your name would be…?”

“Go Won.” Heejin had to control a splutter - the ladies in waiting, they called the princess that name, when they thought nobody was listening. She looked at the painting of the princess - thirteen, when the revolution came through the country, and would probably be her age, were she alive -, and looked back at the girl.

Go Won. What a coincidence.

She started circling the girl, wondering. If, perhaps...

“Just Go Won?” She put a hand on the girl’s shoulder, allowing herself to let her hand trail the girl’s clothed shoulders. “No surname?”

She kept pacing. If, if.

“Well, no. I lost my memories, so I…”

Oh, this was just perfect. A girl, who looked just like the dead princess, and who had no memories? Fantastic. Heejin could work with this. She smiled at the girl, and decided that yes, this was going to be princess Chaewon.

She was going to make sure of it.