4 - Heejin

things my heart used to know

Hyunjin looked at her, and then, gestured to the hallway, silent, where they had left Go Won. They were in Hyunjin’s living room, and she looked around, looking for a place to sit that hadn’t a cat resting in it.

“Do tell me that princess Chaewon isn’t the one sleeping on the guest bed. Do tell me that all of the royal family is dead, Heejin.” Hyunjin crossed her arms, and Heejin took off her leather jacket, sitting on a chair that had a cat laying on its pillow. She’d have to displace it, but Heejin wanted to sit.

“In my defense…” She started, and Hyunjin kept staring as Heejin displaced the cat, allowing it to lay across her lap. “Listen, I just had thought she was similar. I thought the two would just… Look at her, say yes, give me the money, you know?”

“I know you too well to know that you didn’t just think the two looked similar.” Hyunjin sat as well, across from her, crossing her arms. “I remember your little diaries, you know?”

Oh no, not the diaries. It had been filled with poetry. Bad poetry, about princess Chaewon. Heejin had thought it had been simply disappeared, in the wake of the revolution, but now she knew what fate had it fallen.

“Don’t bring those up.” She relaxed against the chair, petting the cat distractedly. “Look, I found her in the old palace, you know? And she was… Singing. Dancing. When she heard me, she ran, and she stopped right in front of that painting, and they had the same eyes, Hyunjin. How was I supposed to ignore that? To let her go? I did that once, and look where it landed.”

“And that was when you proposed?” Heejin ignored the question Hyunjin proposed, eyes focused on the cat. It was grey, purring like a motor.

“She asked for papers for Paris. I made an offer. She accepted.” Heejin paused, and Hyunjin pursed her lips. “Go Won, she… She’s so nice, Hyunjin, she just… She just wanted to come to Paris, to meet them, even if she doesn’t know it’s them .”

“And does she know Sooyoung and Jiwoo are offering quite the hefty reward for her?” Heejin shook her head, blushing a little, and Hyunjin closed her eyes, sighing. The subject had yet to be broached, but... “Heejin, you’re going to have your heart shattered, once she finds out.”

Heejin said nothing at this, eyes focused on the cat, still, avoiding to look at Hyunjin. It was her heart that was going to get broken.

She knew she wouldn’t ever be able to be by Go Won’s side. She had always known. But this - this entire scheme, this entire thing, was giving her hope. She wanted to hope, if at least for a few days, to make memories that would last her a long time.

“But anyway, let’s stop. I’ll not interfere. There’s also a chance she’s not even the real deal, anyway, so I’ll let you off for now. All I’ll do is… Give you two a chance to meet Lady Viian…” She eyed Heejin’s clothes - she may or may not have stolen those from the wardrobe of the older princess, the dead crown heiress -, and sighed. “Perhaps new clothes.”

Hyunjin was right - there was always a chance Heejin had just picked a girl who looked enough alike to fool her, and that Go Won was exactly just that - an amnesiac. That was it.

“Thanks. I’m not sure how to repay you, but thanks.”

Hyunjin waved it off, rising up, displacing a nearby cat. How many she had, anyway?

“No need, Heejin. You did give me all those jewels, when I ran off. It’s payment for a lifetime. Anyway, tea? I have so much t o tell you.” Heejin smiled, eyes back in Hyunjin.

“Sure.” It felt good to be back with a little piece of home, and Heejin wasn’t going to deny it for herself.