Chapter Five

Fangirl Fridays

Morning came early Friday. Everyone was showered by six and then began helping each other with makeup and hair. Aaron styled his normally messy hair into a loose pompadour and had his red AKTF shirt on with a pair of black basketball shorts. All three girls had matching black v-neck t-shirts with their fandoms printed on them graffiti style. Lily wore a flowy red skirt and black flats and had her hair falling in loose curls. Briley had a pair of skinny jeans and boots that came up mid-calf with her already naturally curly hair scrunched. Nik wore short jean shorts with black and olive Jordans and her hair pulled back into her typical braided ponytail falling to her mid back.

 

They gathered their stuff, ensuring everyone had a charged camera and a spare battery as well as a stick of deodorant, a water bottle, and permanent markers.

 

“We all ready?” Lily asked. Checking their makeup one last time, they made their way across to stand in line together.

 

They were not the first there, but there were only a handful of people outside waiting before them. They pulled out their cameras and started talking to the people that were already there and the people showing up after them.

 

A group showed up about an hour later that were fans of their channel. The group was excited as the girls gave them hugs before they had to move back to the ever-growing line.

 

“Can you believe they asked for our autographs?” Briley asked, still in shock.

 

“They even wanted mine!” Aaron exclaimed.

 

“We need to remember them and greet them at the meet tomorrow,” Nik said. “Who would have thought people would want our autographs?”

 

“You give out your autograph at most tournaments,” Aaron reminded her.

 

“That’s different. That is for taekwondo and is usually only because I judged their ring.”

 

“I didn’t know that,” Lily said. “Why did you never tell us about that?”

 

“Because it’s not a big deal. It’s common in our organization to get your judges to sign the medals if you placed.”

 

Lily nodded in understanding. “That is still really cool.”

 

“What day do you compete?” Briley asked.

 

“The Master’s ceremony is Wednesday night. It’s actually a good thing we bought those dresses the other night, I didn’t have anything to wear to it. Friday morning, I will compete and test for my next rank. Saturday Aaron competes while I judge. Sunday, I will compete and then judge the rest of the day.”

 

“That is crazy. You will be so busy!” Lily said.

 

“Oh, remind me to buy a few jars of pickles and a case of water when we get to Little Rock.”

 

“Pickles?” Briley and Lily asked while Aaron laughed at their confused expressions.

 

“Potassium. Helps with muscle cramps.” The other two ‘Oh-ed’ and then they all changed the subject to more KPop related topics.

 

Finally, they were opening the gates to let people in. The first place they hit were the merch and fan art booths. As they perused the the booths, more fans would come up to them to talk or get autographs, everyone telling them that they were looking forward to the fanmeet the next day.

 

One booth owner was a fan and had insisted on letting them all pick out a piece of her handmade jewelry. Aaron got a Super Junior dog tag necklace. Lily found a bangle bracelet that had Shinee and DBSK charms. Nik found a necklace that had a charm that looked like Shinhwa’s lightstick, it even glowed in the dark. Briley got a necklace with a locket that had a photo of TOP. Since the owner wouldn’t take payment, the girls went on their Instagrams and twitters to post about the amazing stuff she had and took photos with her.

 

They thanked the booth owner one more time as they headed off to look at some other merch and head towards the food.

 

They found a seat close to the food booths and pulled out one of their cameras and a round of mics. Nik and Lily went to order food while Briley and Aaron sat up the camera. They all put the mics on as soon as the food had arrived.

 

“Day one of KCon New York and it PACKED out here!” Briley started.

 

“It is so hot!” Lily fanned herself.

 

“Girl, it’s not even 90 degrees yet. Plus, it’s very breezy. Wait until you come visit us in August. Triple digits before 10am,” the Texans laughed as Lily groaned. “Anyways, we have walked past nearly every vendor. There is some beautiful fan art this year.”

 

“Speaking of fan art, there is one booth we have to brag on,” Lily continued. They all pulled out the jewelry from the booth that had given them stuff. “She sells her products online as well. We will post her link below. Everyone should go check her out. She also does customized items. Seriously, go check her out!”

 

“So what all did you bring us to eat?” Briley asked, changing the subject and turning everyone’s attention to the food on the table.

 

“We got something from each booth. We have kimchi fries, a salad with gochujang ranch, tteokbokki, deep fried pork belly, and three different types of egg waffles,” Lily explained.

 

“Let’s dig in!” Aaron handed his mother a toothpick with a saucy rice cake on it and they all proceeded to eat.

 

They ate deliciously, commenting to the camera about everything they were eating and telling which booth had what. After everyone had finished, Aaron threw everything out and went to get water for everyone as the girls closed out their recording.

 

“So what panels start soon? Briley asked, reaching into Nik’s panda to grab her planner.

 

“I believe ‘I Love Dance’ has a show going on in a little bit and then Jung Saemmool is doing a tutorial and having a sale,” Nik said, then looked along with her English friend.

 

Lily pointed at the last panel of the day. “JRE is tonight. He’s doing another collab with JunCurryAhn. We have to make that!” Her friends laughed at her excitement.

 

They all took off to see their list. All of the girls bought makeup from Jung Saemmool and got the chance to have her help pick out the perfect foundations for each of them.

 

When they made it to get in line for JRE, Lily was practically glowing, bouncing on her toes excitedly. They managed to stand close to the stage. They even got noticed during the event and JRE asked them not to leave when his panel was done.

 

They all went backstage and he greeted each of them with a hug. They talked for a little while about the convention and shot the breeze until JRE finally told them why he wanted to talk to them. “I’ve been keeping up with your channel for a while.” They all blushed slightly at that. “I was wondering if you would want to do some sort of collab video with me?” he finally asked.

 

The girls all looked at each other for a moment, almost as if they were communicating telepathically. Nik finally spoke after a bit, “We would be honored to work with you. What were you thinking of doing?”

 

“I thought we could do a reaction video for one channel and a ‘Try Not To React’ for the other.”

 

The girls looked to each other once again, and again after a moment Nik broke the silence. “Sounds perfect. Were you wanting to do it while we were all here or do it in our style, with everyone in different time zones?”

 

“Would you want to do it tonight? We could keep it a secret then upload them on Monday after the convention?”

 

“Your hotel or ours?” Nik smiled excitedly. “Ours is just right across the street. Plus, all of our equipment is read to go and we have plenty of snacks. Just saying.”

 

“Well what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” JRE almost yelled.

 

When they got back to the hotel, Lily and JRE sat on the couch and looked through videos to decide what they would react to while Nik, Aaron, and Briley set up the equipment. Lily practically had stars in her eyes. Between the two channels, they had already either reacted to or at least seen almost every music video, until Lily burst out, “Hey Nik, your twin dropped an MV last night and we didn’t notice.”

 

“Twin?” JRE asked. “I’ve heard y’all refer to him as that before in your videos, but you’ve never explained it.”

 

“Because they are very similar and close in age. She loves him like a twin,” Aaron answered, not looking up from tightening the light stand.

 

So it was decided. They would react to Luhan’s newest music video on JRE’s channel and then try not to react to KPop on Fangirl Friday’s channel.

 

To say that they failed epically would be an understatement. Individually, they could have possibly stood a chance through this 12-minute video of crack, lives, vines, the best part of music videos, [epero, and scared boy groups, but five people trying not to sing, dance, or laugh just was not destined to succeed.

 

Before he left, JRE gave each of them one more hug, much to Lily and everyone’s delight. Afterwards, everyone settled in, changing into their pajamas and taking off their makeup. “Tomorrow’s the big day,” Briley said as Nik was going over her checklist for probably the hundredth time.

 

“So, we need to divy up work, right?” Lily asked their OCD organizer friend.

 

Nik nodded. “Would you mind editing our JRE video while Briley edits the KCon footage? We won’t have time over the rest of the weekend for JRE’s video to post it at the same time he does. Y’all are the better editors. Aaron and I will double check everything for tomorrow and get everything charging.” They all agreed.


Luckily, they were all done within an hour and ready for bed at a decent time. Tomorrow was sure to be a long day.