Chapter Twelve

Fangirl Fridays

A/N: Two new words for some of y'all.
dojahng = Taekwondo School
Sahboonim = Master instructor, usually used when you are closer to the instructor and have great respect. Another version of the word is Sahbomnim.

Chapter Twelve

 

“Five bucks says they’re gunna be late,” Nik said as she piled everyone’s stuff into the van.

 

“Hey, they said that they stopped being compulsively late years ago,” Lily laughed.

 

“I don’t care. They have twenty minutes before I said we were wheels up.”

 

Briley yawned. “Be nice. It’s sooo early after the weekend we all just had.”

 

“It’s really not that early,” Aaron informed with a smirk. Briley stuck her tongue out like a child and Aaron mimicked her.

 

Lily and Nik exchanged a look and smiled at the antics. Nik checked her phone for probably close to the 20th time. She hadn’t received a message since six that morning.

 

Twenty three minutes past and Nik was looking at her phone again when the men pulled up. “Good morning,” Sunho yawned as he trudged out of the van.

 

“Five bucks,” Nik whispered to Lily, who in turn laughed and nudged her with her shoulder. The men all loaded their stuff into the van. It was a fifteen passenger, much like the van Nik drove for her dojahng, and there was enough room for everyone to stretch out some. “Have y’all eaten?” she asked, climbing into the driver’s seat and plugging in her phone and punching in the address of the hotel in Knoxville.

 

“Not really,” Pilkyo yawned out from the front passenger seat.

 

Lily, who was sitting in the second row with Choongjae, pulled the cooler out from under her seat. “Nik prepared a bunch of food for the trip. She said we could stop for lunch and supper if we wanted, but there are snacks and breakfast tacos in here. Under Briley and Dongwan’s seat there is bottled water.”

 

The men all requested what they wanted after everyone was buckled up and Nik had cranked the car. “What is a breakfast taco?” Pilkyo asked from the seat next to the driver as he waited for his food to be passed up.

 

“It’s a Texas breakfast. Since I didn’t have a grill, I sauted up some peppers, onions, potatoes, and chorizo with eggs and it’s wrapped up in a tortilla. There’s sour cream, cheese, and salsa to go with it.” Everyone then ate with as much gusto as teenage boys trapped in grown men’s bodies would eat.

 

“You’re a good cook,” Junghyuk said from behind her.

 

“I’ll give Hyemi the recipe before y’all leave to go back home.  When is her flight arriving?”

 

“Her plane arrives Wednesday morning.” Nik nodded and asked her son to check her schedule that morning so they could work out how best to get her picked up. Soon after, everyone settled in to quiet conversation. A few of them elected to take a nap since no one besides the Texans were very happy waking up so early.

 

Aaron sat in the back with Sunho. They had their headphones connected and were listening to music together as Sunho dozed. In the seat in front of them was Dongwan and Briley. Briley was tucked up under Dongwan’s arm as they watched a drama on Briley’s laptop. Choongjae and Lily, who were in the next seat up, were having a quiet discussion about her job and what the article she was currently working on was about. She had her laptop propped open so he could read as well, and she explained things she looked for and what all she had to do before each article could be published. Junghyuk had a pillow against the window that he rested his head on as Minwoo used him as a pillow in the front seat that they sat on behind Pilkyo and Nik.

 

“Are you going to really drive the whole way?” Pilkyo asked after about an hour had passed.

 

Nik nodded her head and smile. “I’m used to driving. I’m the main driver for tournaments for our dojahng. We have a few tournaments a year that we leave at 10pm the night before, compete from eight to six or seven the following day, and then drive the seven hours home. Usually end up back home around two in the morning.”

 

“And you do all the driving?” He asked. She nodded again. “That’s too much for me, and I love going on long drives.” Nik hummed in response. She glanced over at him and they made eye contact for a brief moment before she had to turn back to the road.

 

It was around one when they decided to stop for lunch. She had stopped at 10:30 to let everyone out to stretch their legs and go to the restroom. They filed into a hole-in-the wall burger joint outside Harrisonburg. After filling up the tank, they set back on their way, everyone full and ready for another nap.

 

Sunho and Aaron had decided to watch a movie on Nik’s laptop. Dongwan and Briley were on episode five of their drama. Choongjae and Lily had decided to relax and listen to music for a while. He motioned for her to use him as a pillow and she timidly leaned against him. He laid an arm around her and pulled her a bit closer so that they were more comfortable. Junghyuk and Minwoo had pulled out their DS and were currently battling each other in a game. Pilkyo was sitting, staring out the window at the passing scenery as Nik drove with one headphone in.

 

Hours passed and it was almost supper time. “Would you rather wait until we get into Knoxville to eat or stop now and have another two hours to drive?” Lily asked, stretching and sitting up.

 

“We could order food to the hotel,” Sunho offered from the back. He and Aaron had made it through two movies and had started a third.

 

After a short debate, they had decided that Sunho’s idea was the best. Pilkyo was looking up places that delivered to the hotel they were staying in and then placed an order to be delivered about a half hour after they were set to arrive.

 

Everyone stretched as they all practically fell out of the van when they finally made it to their hotel. It was already eight in the evening and everyone had gotten stiff.

 

Junghyuk and Nik went to get room keys while everyone else unloaded whatever luggage they would need for the night. Not long after they had gotten settled in, the food arrived and everyone settled on eating in the boys room since it was larger.

 

They all sat and ate mostly in silence, everyone tired from the drive. Aaron yawned exaggeratedly and fell into his mom, who had been sitting next to him on the floor. “How long is the drive tomorrow? This feels worse than Ponchatoula,” he whined.

 

She shoved him off with her elbow. “Stop complaining. Tomorrow is a seven hour drive. We have to leave around 7 so that we’re there for training.” Aaron moaned and fell back, laying sprawled out on the floor.

 

“Am I that bad of company in the van?” Sunho asked the kid, poking him in the side to tickle him.

 

“Of course not! I’m just tired of being trapped in the van.” Aaron pouted.

 

“I’m starting to wonder if Sunho and Nik should date. He’s already practically adopted her son,” Junghyuk said to Minwoo but loud enough so the room could hear. Pilkyo shot him a glare.

 

“Of course they shouldn’t,” Lily said before anyone else could react. “She’s said for years there are certain people she wants as brothers or sisters. He falls into the category of brother.”

 

Aaron laughed. “Mom doesn’t friendzone people, she family zones them.”

 

“Aw, I’m your brother?” Sunho asked and then reached across Aaron to pull her into a hug.

 

Nik let herself be manhandled into a sitting hug cuddle thing. She frowned up at him but relaxed, resting her head on his shoulder, until the room lit up with the sound of the Power Rangers communicator going off. She then threw herself out of his lap and in the direction of her phone, pressing the answer button. “Yes sir?” Nik got up and began pacing the side of the room.

 

Everyone looked at her confused, except for Aaron. “That’s our Sahboonim. This will be a while. We should probably go back to eating. It will be cold before they get done.”

 

“Yes sir, we made it to Knoxville.” “I’m sorry, sir. I should have called.” “I did text you, sir.” “Yes sir.” “Sir, I did text you when the plane landed.” “Yes sir, the drive has been smooth.” “We will be there before training, sir.” “Yes sir, I am bringing a bunch of friends with me.”

 

Everyone continued eating, but Pilkyo was watching Nik pace back and forth, stopping to stand in random positions, sometimes on one foot with her other propped up on her other knee or leaning down to stretch her legs and back. “Your food’s going to get cold,” Aaron said quietly to him. Pilkyo nodded, still watching her strange phone behavior.

 

“No sir, I am not married.” “Yes sir, I know. Even if I decide to elope I have to invite you.” Everyone’s head shot up at that one but she didn’t notice. “Oh that’s awesome, sir!” The conversation went on for another twenty or so minutes as they discussed everything under the sun it seemed like. Finally, it seemed to be coming to an end. “Yes sir.” “Yes sir, we are leaving at seven.” “Uh huh, yes sir.” “I love you, too, sir.” “I’ve missed you, too, sir.” “Yes sir, I will text you before we leave in the morning.” “Sir, I said I’m sorry.” “Good night, sir.” She laughed. “Yes sir. Yes sir. I love you, too sir.”

 

After she hung up the phone and shoved it into her pocket, she took back her seat between her son and Pilkyo. It wasn’t until she was settled back in her seat with her plate in her lap that Nik looked up to realize that no one was eating and everyone was staring at her. Besides, Aaron, that is. “Is everything ok?”

 

“He said that was your instructor,” Minwoo said. Nik nodded. “That didn’t sound like a conversation with a taekwondo instructor.”

 

“That sounded more like a conversation with a father,” Junghyuk said.

 

Nik and Aaron started laughing. “That’s because he is like my father. Very protective.”

 

“And kind of crazy,” Aaron added.

 

“You told him you love him. TWICE,” Pilkyo blurted out, making the two Texans laugh even harder.

 

“That I did. We are family. I have known him for over eleven years. I started with him when I was a senior in high school.”

 

“He’s been training me since I was two!” Aaron piped up. “He’s my grandpa!”

 

Everyone was now laughing. “I have never been that close to an instructor,” Pilkyo said.

 

“We live at the dojahng,” Nik explained. “So that my son and I no longer had to live with my folks, he helped me get a trailer to live on the property. He has taken me back time and time again. I quit on him four times throughout the time that I have known him. I have never paid for any of my training with him, and that includes private lessons. I have never paid for any of my son’s training or sparring gear. He takes my son out to movies, has had him spend the night, has gone to eat lunch at school with him. He has paid for tournaments, has given me a job and encouraged my passions.” She smiled. “He is like a father to me. Is everyone else done eating?”

 

Everyone nodded. “Who’s up for a movie?” Lily asked the room. Everyone agreed. “I vote horror, what about everyone else?” She had a wicked glint to her eyes. Right away, Pilkyo and Choongjae shook their heads.

 

“As long as it’s horror and not gore, I’m game,” Briley said. Nik and Aaron agreed. Soon, Junghyuk, Minwoo, and Sunho had all agreed. “What about you?” Briley asked Dongwan.

 

“If you want to watch a scary movie, who am I to say no?” he laughed and made a silly face at her.

 

Pilkyo and Choongjae groaned. “We’re outvoted,” Pilkyo says to the Baby Bird with much dismay.

 

“Why not that movie you were telling us about a few weeks ago? Babadaba? Baba…Baba…?” Briley looked to Lily in question.

 

“OH! Babadook! That is a great movie!” Lily says excitedly. “They have it on Netflix still! Can we cast on this TV?”

 

“Great,” Pilkyo and Choongjae droned out in unison.

 

Lily pouted slightly at Choongjae. “This one really isn’t as scary as most of the movies I’ve seen. This one is really good,” she promised. He gave her a weak smile. “So is everyone ok with Babadook?” Everyone agreed.

 

Junghyuk suggested that they move the mattresses into the living room so they could all lounge more comfortably. Briley and Aaron went to their room to grab the comforters and pillows so there were more to share, while Lily and Nik went to the convenience store next door to buy popcorn and drinks for everyone. The men stayed in their suite to reorganize and when everyone returned, the guys had all three mattresses laying connected and the couches had been moved out of the way with the movie set up to play.


 

It took a few minutes for everyone to get settled, which is to be expected when ten individuals are involved. Junghyuk sat on the farthest left up against the wall with Sunho next to him. Aaron was laying his head on a pillow in Sunho’s lap. On the next bed, Minwoo layed on his side close to the TV with Briley and Dongwan sitting close together up against the wall. On the last bed, Lily and Nik sat up against the wall between Choongjae and Pilkyo, but after a moment quickly changed positions to be laying with their heads propped up in their hands to watch more comfortably. Grumbling, the Birds followed suit so they were laying next to the horrible women that were forcing them to watch a horror movie.

 

As the movie began, everyone quickly became glued to their seats. It was quite the psychological horror film and was pretty intense, especially for the Birds that absolutely hate horror films. Less than twenty minutes in, Aaron had fallen asleep. This wasn’t his cup of tea and the past weekend had taken a toll on his body.

 

Briley had both of her arms wrapped around Dongwan’s bicep. She wasn’t much of a horror film fan, and really only went with it because she knew she would get away with holding on to her new bias, also known as her old bias wrecker. Noticing her discomfort a little while later, he pulled his arm out of her grasp and got her to sit between his outstretched legs and lean her back against his chest. He then wrapped his arms around her. Briley flushed down to her neck, but luckily for her it was dark enough that no one else in the room noticed. This did, however, give her the comfort she needed for the horror flick and she was able to relax a bit more as the movie started picking up.

 

Lily nudged Nik to get her attention, and then motioned at the cute scene taking place on the mattress beside them. Nik did the ASL sign for cheering and Lily did the same. Choongjae, who was looking for any reprieve from this movie, gave Lily a questioning look when she turned back towards the TV. She then pointed at her little sister and smiled. Choongjae shook his and mouthed, ‘He’s bold.’ Lily nodded, giving one more glance at the happy Brit before going back to the movie once again. That was until she felt Choongjae scoot over more into her personal space, slipping one of his arms around her laying his leg against hers.

 

Nik smirked, not taking her eyes off the screen but still noticing the closeness between her sister and the baby bird. “Everyone seems to be getting cozy,” Pilkyo whispered, his lips so close to her ear that she could feel the hot air of his breath against her ear and neck. Nik froze for a moment before nodding stiffly. She swallowed before turning her face towards him and mouthing ‘It’s cute, though.’ Their faces were close, she noticed suddenly, and turned back to the screen quickly. She had her head propped up on both hands again when she felt a hand grasping her wrist. She turned back to Pilkyo and he pulled her right hand free, leaving her head being only braced on her left. She gave him a confused look until he slid his hand into hers and looked back at the screen.

 

Through the rest of the movie, this is how everyone remained. The movie ended well, so Pilkyo and Choongjae were not near as scared as they assumed they would have been, but before the girls left their sweet, Nik carrying Aaron, the girls all said “Babadook isn’t real!” then shut the door and ran off to their room laughing.