Summer Days

Summer Rain

It was from that moment at the spa, something grew between Dong Hoon and her, something that made them want to stay near each other. When she got home that day, the girl found herself laughing at the thought of what had happened. Day after day, Eun Kyo found herself bumping into him often. Sometimes they would spend a few hours together, then entire afternoons, and even whole days together. The two would spend their time in arcades or parks, or evem at the movies. The quiet 17 year old started to feel warm whenever she thought of him. Sure, he was a bit of a show off, but there was something there, something sweet and sincere, that made her want to trust him. Eun Kyo's grandmother noticed how she came home smiling;she never mentioned it, but the older woman recognized the dreamy expression she held. An expression that she hadn't seen on her face before; her little granddaughter was falling in love. 

 

One cloudy morning, Dong Hoon appeared at the door. The halmeoni was a bit surprised when she saw the boy, with slightly messy hair and a t-shirt and baggy shorts. "Annyeonghaseyo," the boy bowed, at a full 90 degree angle.

"Annyeonghaseyo."

"Is Eun Kyo awake yet? I wanted to show her something."

The 70 year old blinked. "Yes, I'll go get her." So, this is the boy that my Eun Kyo has fallen for? She was rather surprised. It was just a few months ago that Eun Kyo was shouting that she hated his guts. Teenagers certainly were a strange breed. A few moments later, Eun Kyo appeared with the halmeoni not far behind. 

"What is it Dong Hoon?"

Without answering, the 18 year old took Eun Kyo by the hand leading her outside. Bowing deeply again at the older woman, he politely said thank you, and began to lead the girl down the quiet street,leaving Halmeoni to look curiously behind.

"Dong Hoon, ige mwoya?" (what's going on?)

"Its a surprise!"

The boy was leading her to the center of the village market, which now had only a few people in it as now it was getting late in the day. Dong Hoon quickly covered the girl's eyes with his hands. 

"Can I look now?"

"Okay. Surprise!" Dong Hoon moved his hands away and the girl stared in shock. There, right next to a bike shop, sat a shiny gray moped, with two matching helmets hanging from the handle bars. Mopeds were something that she had seen only rich kids ride on, or delivery boys. She had certainly never expected to be on one.

"Did you buy this?"

The boy smiled, his grin spreading from ear to ear.

Eun Kyo move closer to look at the moped. Very few people she knew had one, and the fact that Dong Hoon had worked so hard to save up for one, and share it with her, the teenage girl was so overwhelmed with emotion that she wrapped her arms around the boy, pulling him in a tight embrace. When she stepped back, she was surprised to see his face bright red. "Dong Hoon, are you okay?" 

The 17 year old blinked, as if waking up from a trance. Stammering, he nervously said, "I-im fine, you wanna ride it?" 

"You know I do!" Hurriedly, Eun Kyo put on the helmet and climbed unto the back of the moped, while Dong Hoon sat in front. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she was surprised at how comfortable it was, how comfortable she was with being so close to him. Just three months ago, she could hardly stand the sight of this boy, now she actually didn't mind being near him. In fact, there had been times that she found herself wanting to be near him. 

Passersby and food stands seemed to speed past as the moped careened through the narrow streets. The pair made a turn away from the cluster of homes,towards the countryside, which was filled with lush green fields. The gentle rain of the morning still hung unto the plants as more drizzle came down. Eun Kyo spread her hands out to feel the drops, squealing with glee as the drove through the quiet fields. Dong Hoon seemed to be enjoying himself, too, as he occasionally glance back at her; she couldn't really see it, but the boy was smiling a wide smile.

The pair rode on like this, quietly, and somewhat slowly until they came to a large dandelion field. Dong Hoon stood the moped up against a tree, and he and Eun Kyo found a soft mound to sit. Dandelions swayed lazily in the wind as the clouds drivted slowly throught the sky; everything seemed to be taking its time that day. It wasthe perfect summer day. The two teenagers sat there for a while , watching cars on a faraway overpass speed by.

"Eun Kyo-yah, baegopa? (Are you hungry?)"

The brown skinned girl nodded, and without explanation, the boy grabbed her by the hand, pulling her back toward the moped.

"Urin eodi ganeun geoya? (Where are we going?)"

"My mother makes the best tteokbokki," Dong Hoon exclaimed, as Eun Kyo scrambled to put her helmet on,"that's why dad opened the restaurant for her. I want you to come try some." Eun Kyo had never seen him so excited about anything before. Off again they rode, up the hill and back into the residential area. As they neared Dong Hoon's home, the girl started feeling nervous. She had never been introduced to anyone's parents before, albeit, it was just as friends, but she knew that this was tricky territory. She had seen the facial expressions of the women aroundthe market who saw her, and heardthe whispers of the mothers at school. Eun Kyo wondered what Dong Hoon's mother's reaction would be. The moped stopped; Dong Hoon parked the moped by the gate, helping Eun Kyo down. Anxiously, the 17 year old followed him into the coplex. Much to her chagrin, his mother was there on the porch with two other women playing cards. When they saw the dark skinned girl coming behind him, they all stopped what they were doing and looked up.

"Eomma! This is my friend from school, Eun Kyo," he announced proudly, "Is it okay she stays for dinner? I want her to try your famous tteokbokki." To Eun Kyo, the seconds felt like hours as their eyes were all on her. Her first instinct was to turn and run; instead she bowed politely and said, as cheerfully as she could, "Annyeonghaseyo." She could feel her heartbeat through her chest as she waited for them to return the greeting. Much to her surprise they smiled. All of three of them, and said hello back.

"Of course, Dong Hoon. I think I have some left over in the fridge-" she started to stand up, when one ofthe ladies pulled her back down.

"Aniya, aniya, you rest, you've had a hard day," the older woman said, softly,"Dong Hoon, why don't you take Eun Kyo inside and show her around. Since she's your friend, we expect to see her around here more often. Go on, dear. Make your at home." Feeling immensely relieved, Eun Kyo bowed again, her cheeks starting to feel warm. Why was she suddenly so flustered? The way the women giggled as they went aside made her feel like they were a couple. It actually felt somewhat....nice.

The kitchen was small and cozy, and very neat. Eun Kyo listened as Dong Hoon talked about the tent bar, how he helped out there everyday. Had it not been for him going to the military soon, he would want to be a chef and open his own restaurant someday. "My dad wanted me to be in the military full time, just like him," he said, as he begin to cut strands of noodles. Eun Kyo helped by warming soup on the stove.

"Your dad sounds like a nice guy. Is he on leave often? I've never seen him around."

The young boy paused for a moment. "My father left us when I was 13. I haven't heard from him since."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Dong Hoon," Eun Kyo said, turning back to the pot,immediately regretting what she had said. What a stupid mistake! "I had no idea. I don't have a dad either. I shouldn't have said anything; I'll just be quiet now."

"Aniya, I like talking with you. We've never actually had a conversation before. I've always wanted a chance to talk to you."

"jinja? Really? You actually wanted to talk to me?" Her brown eyes widened. "But you picked on me from 1st grade all the way up to middle school!"

Dong Hoon blushed. Sheepishly he said, "I know. Mianhada. (I'm sorry)."  Eun Kyo only laughed. Apparently, the past was forgotten. The two went on working in the kitchen almost in perfect sync. He mostly talked and she mostly listened, but it was nice. The more time she spent around Dong Hoon, the more Eun Kyo learned that he wasn't just some obnoxious greaser, he was really very thoughtful and sweet. Dare she think it but she was beginning to understand why her best friend had been so taken with him. He was actually a nice guy. The brown skinned teenager was so lost in her thoughts that she wasn't paying attention to what she was doing, and when she reached to move the pot from the stove, she grabbed the wrong end, and burned the inside of her hand.  

"AISH!"

"Neo gwenchana (Are you okay)??" Dong Hoon raced over, inspecting the her palm and sticking it under the sink faucet. Eun Kyo let out a breath as the cool rushing water soothed the stinging pain.

"Manhi apa? Jinja gwenchana?" (Does it hurt alot? Are you really okay?) 

I'm fine," the girl murmured. Dong Hoon looked unconvinced. Hurriedly, he took the bandana out of his hair, letting his long dark locks fall to his muscled shoulders. As he wrapped it around her injured hand, Eun Kyo could feel her face growing warm again. The careful way he held her hand, the way his hair framed his tanned face, she didn't even realize she was staring until all of a sudden, he looked up, his eyes meeting hers. He seemed surprised at first, but then he stared back, more intensely, like he was searching for something in hers. This time, butterflies were welling up in her stomach. She looked away, unable to meet his gaze. Just as she was turning around, she happened to catch a glimpse of outside. It was growing dark, and her grandmother would be back, wondering where she was. Her appetite for tteokbokki forgotten, she turned toward the door. 

"It's getting late. I should be going."

"Wait, but what about the tteok-" Dong Hoon was suddenly interrupted by his mother and his friends who had decided to come inside. 

"Eun Kyo ya, leaving all ready?" his mother asked, " I haven't even had a chance to cook pollack for you yet. Is something wrong?"

"Oh no, Ms.Ha, it's just that I have to hurry back, I know my grandmother will be worried about me." Ms. Ha nodded in understanding. She took a few rice cakes out of the refrigerator and wrapped them in aluminum foil. Placing them in a plastic bag, she said, "Here, take some of these to share with your grandmother."

"Yes maam."

"And Eun Kyo, ya." The girl paused before heading out of the door.

"You know, you really are welcome here anytime."

Eun Kyo smiled. "Gomapseumnida."