The Tent Bar

Summer Rain

Two Months Later

The breezes were becoming warmer and the days getting longer. The end of the school year was just around the corner and Eun Kyo was excited about having the summer to herself. She could go to the amusement park as much as she wanted, stay up late watching movies, or could eat whenever she pleased. It would certainly be lonely, though. Soo Mi had been sent to another school as punishment for her rebelling. The girls had promised they would keep in touch, but both knew that it would be near impossible.

Eun Kyo waved goodbye to her boss before heading home from the convenience store. She loved to take a stroll along the Nakdong River, which was especially pleasant in the spring. Blossoms bloomed along it, the wind carrying away some of the petals into the warm air. Children ran past with their kites and balloons. The beautiful 17 year old smiled; it was just too nice to be inside. Maybe she would stop somewhere for a snack, her grandmother wouldn't mind. The older woman would be out at her yoga session at this time of day. A few yards away stood a tent bar. There was already a small crpwd of people nearby ordering ramyun and fish cakes, which was Eun Kyo's favorite.

"Kamsahabmida!" a little boy said, gently taking a stick of fish cake.

"Jebal joshimhae (please be careful)," came a husky voice from inside the tent. A small group of ahjummas were next up in line. "Annyeonghaseyo! What would you lovely ladies like today?" They giggled. The one in front, with short curly hair, bashfully said, "we will have our usual. Four kimchi specials," she exclaimed. When the ahjumma reacher her hand into her pocket to pay, but the bar owner stopped her.

"No, please. It's on me, I insist."

"Aigoo! Such a gentleman!"

"And so handsome and charming!"

"What did I tell you? Our Dong Hoon is so polite!"

The schoolgirl froze in her steps. Dong Hoon?? Sure enough, as sh e came closer, Dong Hoon was there, serving the ladies. He wore a blue bandana and a matching muscle shirt. Was she seeing this right? The loud and obnoxious guy from before seemed to be gone, and here instead, was a gentleman, being polite and humble. It was almost....attractive.  Once the women had received their food and had left, HaHa began to close up shop. Eun Kyo watched quietly as he cleared the tables and scrubbed down the kitchen; she started to turn to leave when he caught sight of her.

"Ya! Eun Kyo- ya!" Haha cried, running up to her. "Imi neo meogeosseo (have you eaten already)? I was just closing up. Wanna go eat tonkatsu or kimbimbap with me?"

Something about the way he spoke made her heart beat faster, her face felt very warm. For some reason, she couldn't meet his gaze.

"Uh ani. Gwenchanah. Baegopeuji anha." (No, im okay. I'm not hungry.) Eun Kyo murmured, walking off in another direction. Ha Ha stared after her crestfallen.