An Apology Apple

Summer Rain

He was the most popular boy ion school, but that in no way meant he was the happiest. Dong Hoon did lead a rather difficult life, althought few people knew it. The boy's father, Ha Lee Joon, had left his family. Dong Hoon and his mother had to take care of the tent bar themselves. While the boy managed the restaurant, his mother worked in a laundry. Everyone at school assumed the boy was wealthy because of the way he dressed and acted, so flashy. Ha Ha had a different date each night week, or so it appeared. Those were actually his tutors. The boy made such poor grades that his mother worried he wouldn't get into college. Actually his heart only longed for one girl, Eun Kyo. The short teenager had always adored her, ever since he first met her in middle school. Eun Kyo had brais in her hair then, and Ha Ha thought she looked so pretty. He had been fascinated by her, how smart an clever she was, and how she opened her heart to everyone she met. So how did Ha Ha show his affection? y picking on her every chance he got. Poking her, pulling her hair, making jokes in class about her; the boy never meant to cause harm, simply get her attention. One day, he found out the truth behind Eun Kyo's heritage, and he stopped his teasing and forced his friends to o the same. From that day forward, Ha Ha decided that he would one day win her heart.

The handsome dark haired boy was trodding along his neighborhood, thinking of ways to confess his feelings. She probably still thought he was a jerk for standing up Soo Mi. If only he could offer an apology---- That was it! A lovely apple tree stood nearby. Maybe if he offered her a sagwa (apple/apology), she would laugh and forgive him. He'd always dreamed of making her laugh. Without a second thought, the 17 year old scurried up the tree; the branches bent under his weight, but the lovestruck boy ignored the warning creaks of the tree limbs. Stretching out with one hand and keeping his balance with the other, Ha Ha edged close to a round apple. Just a few inches more------

"Ya! What are you doing up there?"

Dong Hoon looked down, right into the big brown eyes of Eun Kyo.

"Eun Kyo-ya!" At that moment of surprise the young tent bar owner lost his grip and crashed into the bush below. The girl gasped, rushing away from her bike to help the injured boy, her feelings of dislike for him temporarily forgotten.  "Gwenchanayo?" she asked, quickly touching his head and arm, "don't worry, I'll be right back. Try not to move too much, okay?" The boy simply nodded, too winded to speak. How embarrassing! He didn't want her to seem him like this! Moments later, she returned with a first-aid kit and a bandage wrapping.

"What were you doing in Ms. Baek's apple tree?" Eun Kyo asked, applying anti-septic to his arm wounds, "you could have broken something, or worse, her dogs could have gotten after you! You could have just gone to a store if you wanted an apple so badly; that was really dumb." Although she was scolding him, Dong Hoon was the happiest he had been in years. Here she was, the girl he had liked for so long , actually being nice. Taking care of him! His cheeks felt very hot.

"Turn this way," the young healer instructed, putting a bandage on his face, " There. How does that feel?" The scruffy haired high schooler's face was only a mere inches away from hers. This time, she didn't shrink away from his gaze.

"It feels great," came the reply, which was more tender than Eun Kyo expected. Her heart was beating fast again, but this time, she knew it wasn't from fear. A few seconds later, a group of boys came through the hidden street and happened to see them. When they recognized Ha Ha, they cheered. "Dong Hoon hyung!" one of them called, "who is she?"

"Is that your new girlfriend? Is she a foreigner?"

"Wow, and right after Da Bin, too. Our hyung sure works fast!"

Ha Ha didn't seem embarrassed by this type of praise. The cocky schoolboy just leaned back on the bench coolly, with his hands rested behind his head. "Well, what can I say? She can't keep her hands off me!"

"Mworago?! (What did you say?)" Eun Kyo stood straight up, instantly enraged. "You think I would ever like a jerk like you? Fix your own scratches!" The infuriated girl pushed the boy off the bench, making the supplies spill out of the kit unto him. 

"Ya!" he shouted, as she stormed away with her bike. The other boys were laughing at him, but Dong Hoon was too busy mooning after her to even notice them.