Spa Day

Summer Rain

The spas in Busan were some of the most luxurious in all of Korea. It had everything from steam treatments to facials, and the most exciting feature of all, an indoor water park! Women really liked it, often saving up their paychecks for months to buy a pass into the stylish place, and Eun Kyo was no different. The gorgeous brown skinned girl had saved her money from her part-time job just to treat herself at the Haeundae Evening Resort. It was quite a comfortable place with softly dim lights. Eun Kyo took the stairs up to the locker room to change into the pink lounge wear that the resort offered. The first thing on her list was to get a relaxing steam bath, then afterwards, she would take a nap with a warm towel on her face, maybe even visit the water park. The steam bath proved to be just as relaxing as a she'd heard. There was hardly anyone else there, which gave the girl time to think to herself. Eun Kyo recalled many of the instances from the past month, since the day Dong Hoon fell out of the tree. That hadnt been the only time the pretty girl had come across him. The two had crossed paths in the park, the rcery store, event the marketplace. It was almost as  if Dong Hoon had meant to bump into her everywhere; when she told her grandmother about it, the kindly old woman sat back in her chair and laughed. "Spring has certainly come," she'd said.

The girl yawned as she entered the relaxation room and she laid on the floor mat. The room was also warmly lit, and no one was there, except for what appeared to be on ahjumma in the corner. The lady seemed to be fast asleep. She had already begun her towel treatment, as she lay with her face covered. Eun Kyo glanced at the stranger's feet, which were clad in bright orange and black Nike basketball shoes. An unusual style for a middle-aged woman. The pretty teenager simply shrugged and leaned back with a dreamy sigh. The warmth of the soft towel soothed her skin; all the tenseness in her body just seemed to melt away. For the first time in a while, Eun Kyo was reallly comfortable, not just in the spa, but in general. It had been nearly a whole year since anyone had made fun of her and there was only one year of high school left. She intended to enjoy the summer before she had to get ready for entrance exams.

Eun Kyo had nearly fallen asleep when she heard the sudden scuttling of shoes, and seconds later, she felt like someone had moved closer to her. She coould feel the warm air from someone breathing directly on her neck.

"Eun Kyo, nae sojunghan, neo saranghae (my dear, I love you) -----"

Eun Kyo froze. "Huh? Maam, what did you say?" Quickly the student took off her face towel and looked right into the brown eyes of none other than Ha Dong Hoon, smiling back at her. She immediately sat upright.

"What do you think you're doing here?This is a women's only spa! Did falling out of that tree knock all the sense out of you??"

Ha Ha put his fingers to his lips, signaling her to keep quiet. Just outside the door, they could hear the voices of women talking.

"Theres a man in here!" one said in a whispered tone.

"How do you know?" asked another.

"I found these in the locker room!" the ahjumma was holding up a pair of orange basketball shorts, which matched perfectly with Ha Ha's shoes. The teenagers held their breath. Dong Hoon could get into big trouble if her were caught; Eun Kyo sympathized for him. For whatever reason, she just couldn't bear to see him get into trouble. If his parents were anything like Soo Mi's, it would not be pretty. Suddenly, the boy grabbed her hand, pulling her in hopes of sneaking out through an exit. There wasn't one. "Aish! We have to hide."

Eun Kyo stopped him, a plan suddenly forming in her mind. "Wait. I got an idea."

 

 

The two middle aged women were busy inspecting the garment, when all of a sudden, a black teenage girl and her grandmother emerged from the relaxation room. The younger one appeared to be normal enough, although not fully Korean, but the halmeoni seemed to not be feeling well. She was slumped over, with a scarf tied around her face, and a long pink towel draped over her shoulders. The women shook a little as she walked and leaned on the girl for support. The ahjummas looked at each other.

"Is your grandmother alright?" the taller one inquired. Eun Kyo blinked. "Oh yes. She isn't feeling well, her chest pains and arthritis are acting up," the clever student declared, "I'm taking her home now. I think Halmeoni has had enough excitement for one day." The other spa-goers seemed to buy the charade.

"Well, as you're heading out, keep your eyes open for a peeping tom," the short-haired 50-something year old instructed, lifting up the shorts, "we're on to him! He's probably lurking around here somewhere without any pants!"

Eun Kyo stifled a giggle.

Halmeoni edged closer to them. "Well, whoever this handsome young man is," the impostor began, in a raspy voice, "judging by these 1998 limited edition NBA shorts, he has an excellent taste in fashion, and is charming, and has major skill on the basketball court with jump shots---"

Eun Kyo yanked the blabbering boy away from the pair and down the hallway, before he could say anything else. "Oh Halmeoni, I think the steam has gotten to your head. Let me get you home so you can rest." The two trodded off and out of the building, and into the evening air, leaving the women to stare after them in confusion. 

One would think that Eun Kyo would be upset that her trip was ruined, but actually, a part of her was happy. She couldn't quite understand it, but there was something about Ha Ha that made her like being around him.