A Distant Memory

Your Hopes and My Dreams

Gasping as she was suddenly awoken from a nightmare. The sweat drips off her face as she glances around into her dark bedroom. Exhaling deeply to calm her pounding heart, she finds herself putting her bare feet against the cool wooden floor. Taking a few steps into the darkness, reaching out she flipped her bathroom light on and the faucet. The sound of water rushing down the drain, she dips her hands into the cool water to have it pool in her hands. Taking the cool liquid and splashing it against her face, she leans onto the counter and lets the water drip from her face into the sink. Sighing at the cool relief, she gazes up to look at her reflection. Gazing into her very own eyes for a moment she feels as though she doesn't recognize the person staring back at her. Placing a hand onto her cheek, she watched her reflection mimick her. Closing her eyes, she felt her chest tighten. She couldn't explain why her body was reacting in such a wayas she opened her eyes to find no one but herself staring back at her. Huffing out of frustration, she decided to brush off the feeling as she made her way to her front door. Slipping on her shoes, she grabbed her purse and made her way out into the dark streets. 

Regretting the fact that she had not taken a sweater, she stuffed her hands into her pockets as she shivered from the cool breeze. Sweeping her dark bangs out of her face, she took a seat on an empty park bench. Digging into her purse, she pulled out a cigarette and lit it before placing it between her lips. Inhaling deeply, she blew out the smoke as she glanced around. Filling her lungs with the warmth of the smoke she wondered why she found herself up so late at night. Puffing on her cigarette she didn't see the person walking in her direction. 

"Excuse me," a voice range making her shiver. Turning into the direction of the voice, stood a tall handsome man. He could've been in a boy band or some kind of movie star with such striking features she thought to herself. "Can I sit next to you," he asked politely. 

Glancing around, she found it odd that he wanted to sit next to her with other open seats around the park, "Umm...sure?" 

He slightly chuckled as he sat next to her, "Thanks." Shrugging as she didn't understand what was so funny, she continued to smoke and mind her own business. "Minzy," he softly called her attention. 

Humming in surprise that the handsome stranger had called her name. She looked at him in disbelief, "Huh?" 

They locked eyes and Minzy could feel her pulse pick up. His midnight eyes shimmered brighter than the stars up above. They held warmth and recognition that she couldn't return. Guilt soon followed as she torn away from his gaze, tossing the cigarette to the ground she stood and stepped onto it. Avoiding the man who sat staring at her, she shook her head and began to walk away. 

"Please," he called after her.

Just one word had her bound as she found herself stuck in place. Closing her eyes she couldn't understand why she felt the need to stop. Why was she stopping? She had no logical reason to do so, but hearing his approaching foot steps told her to stay. 

"Thank you for stopping," he grinned a grinned that had her stomach doing flips. 

"What is it," she finally spoke hoping to contain the feelings that had her body reacting all kinds of weird.

"Do you know who I am," he asked.

Standing in place, she looked him up and down. Honestly she didn't have a clue as she shook her head, "No." Seeing the defeat in his eyes as his shoulders slumped forward she felt bad. "But should I?" She became startled as the man, stepped close to her and took her by the shoulders. Holding her in place, he leaned forward and she closed her eyes as she felt his hand brush the skin behind her ear. 

"Why," he huffed as he stepped back and she subconsciously rubbed where he had. There she felt a bump scabbing over. "How could you," he began to tear up as if he was betrayed.

Still brushing her fingers over the healing wound, she frowned at him, "What did I do?" 

Watching as he bit his lower lip, she felt a shock run down her spine as the tears spilled down his cheeks. "I guess I hurt you that much," he mumbled as he wiped at his eyes. 

She didn't understand what he was going on about, but she too began to shed tears along with him. "What's going on? I don't understand why we're crying." Wiping at her tears, she stood staring at him for an explanation to be pulled into his arms. 

Inhaling his soft cologne, she closed her eyes and felt that same tightening in her chest she felt earlier. Before she knew it, she was clinging onto him and sobbing. Though she couldn't explain it, it felt right to be in his arms crying along with him. "I'm a bad man," he breathed into her hair as he kissed the top of her head. 

"And I guess I'm a bad woman for not remembering you," she huffed. 

Her words had him chuckling which brought a small smile across her lips. Sighing as she stayed leaning onto him, though she couldn't remember him her gut instinct told her she did. Reluctantly pulling back to look up at him, she grinned. Feeling his warm hands cup her face had her smiling from ear to ear up at him. "Can I kiss you," he said matching her smile. His question brought uncertainty to her mind. Maybe there was a reason why she couldn't remember such a handsome face. Maybe she was trying to forget him, which was why she had that scab behind her ear. 

"Who are you to me," she softly asked. Seeing his smile fade made her more aware of her situation, "Who are you?" Watching as his hands drop to his side, she stood firm though she felt her body wanting to waiver. 

"My name is Mino," he said barely loud enough for her to hear. 

"Mino," she softly repeated and felt something stir within. "And who are you to me Mino?"

He stood contemplating her question before giving her a longing look, "A memory that was meant to fade." Staring a moment longer at her, he nodded as he turned to leave. 

Minzy stood in disbelief as she watched him walk away. Before he could disappear, she found herself running after him. Taking hold of his wrist, she stopped him in his tracks. Huffing out in frustration, she walked to face him again. Tilting his head so that their eyes met once again, she could see the pain burning right through his black eyes. "Why did I erase you from my memory?" 

"Everyone heals differently," he offered as he was now the one not being able to meet her gaze. "But..." he sighed as he finally looked her in the eyes. "Even if I'm hurting so much I will never ever erase you from my mind." His conviction had her leaping into his arms as she pressed her lips against his. Kissing him deeply she felt herself trembling against him. Falling into him, she found herself effortlessly working her lips against his. "I love you," he breathed against her lips. Humming as his arms wrapped around her like a secure warm blanket, she could feel just how much his words rang true. 

Giving him one last lingering kiss, she leaned upon his chest and listened to the soft beating of his heart through his chest. Grinning to herself, she felt right in his arms. "I think I love you too," she bit her lower lip at her conflicting words. 

"You think," he questioned as he gazed down at her. 

Glancing up she shrugged, "I think so? I mean I honestly can't remember you." 

Watching him roll his eyes as he squeezed her in his arms, she giggled. "You wasted a lot of money trying to forget me." 

"I don't think it was a waste because I honestly can't remember you," she shrugged before squealing and laughing from his tight bear hug. 

"You may not remember me but your body does," he wiggled his eye brows down at her before descending down to capture her lips once again. 

Rolling her eyes at his teasing, she soon found herself humming in approval of his lips feeling so right against hers. 

 

Author's Notes:

For 21bjsygstan 

I literally listened to almost every Winner song and found myself listening to Sam Smith- No Peace to write this up. Almost left it angsty but felt other wise. Thanks for being the first to participate in challenging me hope you enjoyed!