Chapter 1

Blinded

It was another rainy Tuesday when Jaehyun walked to his class. He thinks to himself, why must he go to a business school when what he wanted to do was art, why can't he choose a path for himself. He never really cared for anything in his class even though it was the best school in the city. Of course, Jaehyun can't say otherwise as he is the heir of his father's multi-million dollar company and he must inherit it someday. It was only the third class of the day when he fell asleep during a lecture. He was woken up with a shake on his shoulder from Mr. Kim.

"Jaehyun not this again" he said, Jaehyun just ignored him when Mr. Kim continued "I don't have a choice...be at the library after classes are done, you need extra points to pull up your failing grades, I'll be there to tell you what to do later, if you don't show up I'll haveto fail you.”

Jaehyun knows he can't fail this class so he got no choice but to go to detention, but whatever, he had never had a choice with anything to begin with. When classes are over Jaehyun went straight to the library he thought that he'll probably get a lecture from Mr. Kim but instead, Mr. Kim told him to make a two pages research paper on a topic from class. Jaehyun groaned but he thinks to himself that he better get it done fast so he won't have to stay longer in the school that he hated so much. Jaehyun is looking around in the aisle of books in the library when he spots a girl sitting alone, she’s holding a book, not really reading it but rather just touching the book as if she was feeling what's on the papers.

‘Weird’ Jaehyun thinks, he goes back to his table to continue writing but he can't help but to take a glimpse of the girl. After some time Jaehyun realizes that the girl has been staring blankly ahead. For some reason, there's something about the girl that makes Jaehyun want to get closer just to catch her attention and maybe get the girl talk to him. Not really for anything but rather just out of curiosity as of why is she staying so late at the library and did nothing but hold book in her hand.

 

Jaehyun is pretending to look for a book in an aisle near to her seat, not wanting to make it seem like he wanted to get the girl attention. Jaehyun is stealing a glance or two at the girl when he accidentally drops a book from the aisle.

"is someone's here?" he heard the girl said.

Jaehyun thinks it was strange that the girl didn't know his presence in the room because where he was sitting the whole time was close to where she was. Thinking that maybe the girl just don't pay attention to her surroundings, Jaehyun walks closer to her

"hey yeah, sorry I was looking for something did I surprise you?" Jaehyun said

"Oh no it's fine, I just thought nobody's here, I'm usually alone at these hours" said the girl while still staring blankly ahead

"oh you're usually here late?" asked Jaehyun

The girl just answered with a nod.

There's something intriguing about the girl Jaehyun thinks to himself, why not take a chance to introduce himself. The worst thing that can happen is probably the girl will just ignore him, he thought.

"Oh I'm Jaehyun by the way" Jaehyun offers his hand for a shake to the girl. The girl just answered with a nod and introduces herself while not offering her hand back to him. Jaehyun awkwardly brushes his hair after thinking to himself that the girl doesn’t want to return his handshake.

"well… I'll go back to reading, sorry to bother you" Jaehyun said

"No, not at all" answered the girl, Jaehyun was about to go back to his seat when he stole a glance at the book in the girl's hand, the pages had no ink on it except some visible dots, that's when Jaehyun realizes. She was blind

 

Jaehyun takes a look at her face; almond-shaped eyes unfocused and a shade of hazel, a high nose that led to full pink lips as his gaze went down to her neck, a black necklace with a silver charm a stark contrast against her pale skin. 'She's beautiful,' Jaehyun thinks. He wonders if she'd been born blind, in which case would be sad if she has never seen herself in the mirror before. Jaehyun decides it's too soon to ask.

So he asks instead, "What are you reading about?"

"Poetry," she says with a smile. A split second and her eyes meet Jaehyun's, and Jaehyun feels his heart skip a beat.

"Ever heard of Hamasaki?"

"Y-yes," Jaehyun curses inwardly as he stutters. He glances down at the book she's reading:am a familiar book cover, except the contents were written in Braille.

"I'm a fan, actually. I love his works."

"Wow, you're the first person to know about him."

 "His works are extremely underrated." Jaehyun takes a look at her surroundings: by her legs is a backpack, and right next to it a walking stick.

"Yes!" She exclaims, and then clears in what seems to be embarrassment at her own outburst. "I-I mean, he has a way with words."

"I agree," Jaehyun replies with a chuckle.

"Words as beautiful as the light of a meteor..."

"... Bearing the weight of sadness as it crashes down into a remorseful garden," she continues the line. A giggle escapes , and Jaehyun wonders if the poem was also one of her favorites.

"You don't mind if I sit with you for a while, don't you?" Jaehyun puts his books and boots his laptop; he needs to get started as soon as possible so he can get this out of the way and go home. He flips across the pages to look for what he needs to find, mindlessly thumbing through the pages as he realizes he actually doesn't mind staying in the library longer.

 

Sun is getting low outside, Jaehyun is still with his paper when he notices the girl is getting up from her seat. She took the walking cane beside her before she walks away from her seat. Jaehyun wonders if he should help her. Before he did anything, he stopped, thinking to himself that it might be rude of him to step in when she wasn't asking for his help, clearly, she's here a lot and Jaehyun doesn't want to offend her.

Before walking even further the girl stops her step and said "oh I almost forgot, it was nice meeting you today, I'm sorry I'm usually alone so I forgot there's someone else here, but it's nice to have someone here once in a while"

Jaehyun just paused while staring at her when he realizes that he hasn’t replied to what she said, but before he could say anything the girl already continued walking outside and it was a little too late for Jaehyun to say anything to her.

Jaehyun continues his research, he is almost done with the paper. He thinks to himself why does an hour in the library now feels so long to him while three hours earlier seemed like a minute. That’s when he realizes that it was the girl who gave him comfort and nothing else.