Prom Night

Stalker Knows You The Best

The long awaited prom finally arrived. Standing in front of the mirror, Jihoon is neatly dressed in black suit. He dyes his hair black, letting his hair down, covering his forehead.

 

“You look so appealing like your grandpa, Jihoon.” His grandma complimented him as she poked her head on the room to check on Jihoon.

 

Jihoon turned to her and softened into a smile. “Thanks Grandma.” He took a quick glance at the watch before proceed to the door. “Grandma, I think I should go now.”

 

“Yeah. Take care, sweetie.” He placed a kiss on her forehead and bid her goodbye. “You too, grandma. Just call me if you need anything.”

 

As Jihoon walked past Mingyu’s, he realized that the restaurant is closed. Well, it makes sense. Mingyu has to attend the prom too. He wonders who could possibly be Mingyu’s date. As his mind occupied with the possible candidates, a red Ferrari sports car pulled over nearby and the door is opened from inside.

 

“Sorry for making you wait, Jihoon. Come in.” It is none other, Choi Seungcheol, the richest guy in their college. With his slick back hair and deadly charming smile carved on his face, Jihoon has to admit that Seungcheol looks stunning.  

 

“Seungcheol hyung.” As Jihoon slid into the car, he found the older is eyeing him.

 

“Is there something wrong with my face…?”

 

Seungcheol just shook his head but a smile didn’t fade from him. “You look wonderful tonight.”

 

Jihoon softened into a smile. “Thanks. You too, hyung.”

 

“Shall we get going?” Jihoon just nodded as a response after buckled up the seatbelt. “Yes.”

 

 

The large hall is now occupied with the students and their respective partners. The theme for this year is Masquerade so each of them has prepared a mask as a prop (and also for dancing purpose), including Jihoon and Seungcheol. They have been requested to put on a mask as soon as they entered the hall (but they can remove it from time to time).

 

Seungcheol and Jihoon had their mask on. While Seungcheol’s mask covers his face fully but Jihoon on the other hand just a normal masquerade mask. They walk into the hall arm-in-arm. Even with their mask on, people still recognize them shortly after they walk in especially Seungcheol due to his deadly charming physique that makes people head over the heels. Jihoon is no difference. His tiny and cute physique made people recognized him straightway.

 

“Cheol?” A voice from behind halted the duo.

 

Recognizing the voice, Seungcheol turned around and found one of his best friends. “Joshua! I thought you said you can’t attend…!” His tone sounded disbelief.

 

“I’m just joking~ this year is our last year and it is compulsory too. So, here I am!” The guy with a sweet voice replied.

 

“I see… Oh, Jihoon, this is Joshua, my best friend.” Seungcheol finally introduced to him.     

 

“So you are the genius Lee Jihoon? I always heard your name but never had a chance to meet you in person. Anyway, nice to meet you.” He extended his hand for a handshake.

 

Jihoon softened into a smile and shook his hand. “Nice to meet you, Joshua hyung.”

 

“Oh yeah. Cheol, Jihoon, meet my partner, Soonyoung.” He gestured towards the person next to him. “He’s a year younger than us so the same age as Jihoon, I guess?”

 

“Nice to meet you, Seungcheol hyung.” The said guy extended his hand to Seungcheol for a handshake.   

 

Seungcheol seems surprised at first. He examined him from head to toe before formed a smile, as well shook hand with him. “Nice to meet you too, Soonyoung. Meet my partner, Lee Jihoon.” He gestured to Jihoon.

 

“Hello, Jihoon.” Soonyoung moved his hand to Jihoon now.

 

Jihoon on the other hand can’t believe his ears, his eyes and everything. Is he dreaming right now? Even though he’s wearing a fully covered mask and dyes his hair in bright red, Jihoon can still recognize his voice, his physique and everything about him very well. He hesitantly to move his hand forward for a handshake but Soonyoung was fast enough to grasp it beforehand and shook it.

 

Jun. I need Jun right now. Jihoon thought inwardly as his heart keeps pounding loudly when he made a physical contact with Soonyoung. Jihoon usually composed but not when Soonyoung is around. He just can’t be himself whenever he sees Soonyoung.  

 

“Cheol! Jisoo!” Another voice called for them.

 

“Jeonghan!” Joshua and Seungcheol said in unison as they recognized the owner of the voice.

 

“Wow, you guys look stunning!” The pretty guy praised.

 

“So do you.” They complimented each other. Apparently, Seungcheol, Joshua and Jeonghan are the college famous trio from what Jihoon heard but he shrugged it off. His thoughts are occupied of a certain God creature named Kwon Soonyoung. How did Soonyoung end up attend the prom with Joshua hyung in the first place? Did I miss something as his stalker?  

 

“Oh! Meet my partner for tonight, Lee Seokmin! He’s actually my cousin.”  Jeonghan introduced, gesturing a person next to him.

 

Seokmin smiled sheepishly. “Hello, hyungie.”

 

“Hello, Seokmin.” Seungcheol and Joshua greeted.

 

“Hello, Seokminie~” Soonyoung chuckled.

 

Seokmin knows the voice. It’s none other than his Soonyoung hyung, grinning at him. Damn. Why Soonyoung hyung didn’t tell me that he’s going to prom moreover with Jeonghan hyung’s friend? He thought inwardly.   

 

Jihoon on the other hand doesn’t give a damn about it. He should know who Lee Seokmin is by now since he’s Soonyoung’s stalker but right now he’s too occupied staring at his crush for various reasons. Even though black hair suits him the best but he rocks the red hair too. Guess he’s perfect… He kept on commenting mentally.

 

Suddenly, the lights went off and a spotlight shimmered on the MC who’s standing on the stage. Snapping out from his thought, Jihoon quickly used this opportunity to search for Jun as Seungcheol is too focused on the speech.

 

“We will now begin our dance!” The MC announced.

 

A song started to fill in the hall and everyone begin their light steps with their respective partners. Jihoon on the other hand was having a hard time finding Jun due to the crowds. He doesn’t give a damn about the dance. His current priority is finding Jun and avoiding Soonyoung at any cost. Abruptly he felt like he’s being pulled by someone that leads him to a dance. It’s relatively dark so he can’t see clearly moreover with the mask on but whoever this guy is he’s definitely not Seungcheol. Unbeknownst, he doesn’t have an urge to shove the guy away and keeps on dancing with him instead.

 

The song had changed into slower beat. The mysterious guy is now placing his left hand on Jihoon’s hip while his right hand is holding Jihoon’s, interlocking their fingers. Surprisingly, they fit nicely together. Despite unable to see each other face clearly due to the dark and also the mask, Jihoon swears his heart skipped a beat when he felt their eyes met.

 

It can’t be Soonyoung…isn’t it? He’s with Joshua hyung… Jihoon mentally noted even though he knows he will only feel this way with Soonyoung.  

 

The song changed again to Don’t Wanna Cry Piano Version. This time, the mysterious guy pulled Jihoon closer to him until Jihoon can feel his breathing and cologne.

 

This scent… I know it very well… Jihoon remembered an empty bottle of perfume owned by Soonyoung that he picked up and the scent matches well. Jihoon personally loves the scent (obviously, since it belongs to Soonyoung and everything about Soonyoung is love according to Jihoon).  

 

Unconsciously, he sank deeper with the song and let the mysterious guy led the dance, spun him around gently, pulled him closer and finally wrapping his hands around Jihoon’s waist. Assuming it as Soonyoung, Jihoon abruptly leaned his head on his chest. He doesn’t know anymore what embarrassment is if you ask him now.

 

The spotlights suddenly shimmered on five different locations right after the song ended.

 

“Let’s give these five pairs a round of applause for their outstanding dances! Should we invite them on the stage now?” The crowds cooed and diverted their gaze at the couples.

 

First pair; Mingyu and Wonwoo.

 

They just looked at each other and laughed nervously before proceed to the stage.

 

Second pair; Junhui and Minghao.

 

Jun with his proud face drags Minghao who is as bright as tomato to the stage.

 

Third pair; Seungcheol and Jeonghan.

 

“J-Jeonghan? I thought I grabbed Jihoon’s hand…!” Seungcheol said in disbelief when he found out with whom he’s dancing just now.

 

“Me too! I thought I grabbed Seokminie’s hand! Where is he?” Jeonghan exclaimed while looking for Seokmin on the crowds.

 

“Anyway, should we go there first?” Seungcheol suggested. Jeonghan nodded as a response and trailed behind Seungcheol to the stage.

 

Fourth pair; Joshua and Seokmin.

 

“I-I’m sorry, Joshua hyung! I-I thought you are Jeonghan hyung…!” Seokmin apologized as he realized it.

 

“It’s okay. My fault for assuming it was Soonyoungie’s hand too.” Joshua said with the sweetest smile. “They invite us to the stage. Let’s go?” He grabbed Seokmin’s hand and led him to the stage. Seokmin on the other hand blushed slightly and just let himself being dragged by Joshua.

 

“The last pair is…”

 

Everyone shifted their sight to the last pair who is still in their own world, dancing gracefully even without the music.

 

People gasped in surprised when they saw them. It is widely spread that Seungcheol’s partner is Jihoon but much to their dismay, Jihoon is dancing with someone else.

 

“Cheol, shouldn’t you do something about that?” Jeonghan whispered, gesturing to Jihoon-Soonyoung couple.

 

Seungcheol hesitated to interrupt them because Jihoon seems to enjoy himself but he knows he had to regardless. As he’s about to say something, Joshua cut him off.

 

“Soonyoungie, you got the wrong person. I’m right here~” Joshua grabbed the microphone from the MC and said in soft tone.

 

Yup. It does snap Jihoon to reality instead. He halted his movement and looked around. All eyes are on them. Therefore, he remembered that both of them are still in dance position, Soonyoung’s placing his left hand on his hip and he’s placing his left hand on Soonyoung’s shoulder while their other hand is holding each other, interlocking their fingers. Abruptly, he shoved him on reflect with bright red face.

 

“Omo! I’m dancing with the wrong person! What should I do now~?”

 

Soonyoung’s dramatic reaction gave the hall a big laugh. It’s a lie if Jihoon said he’s not embarrassed now but somehow he’s just amazed on how Soonyoung be able to control the situation without the slightest awkwardness. If it was him, he will definitely run away and hide himself forever.

 

“First of all, come to the stage, Soonyoung. Bring Jihoon along.” This time Seungcheol boldly took over the microphone to speak.

 

Soonyoung complied and turned to Jihoon. “Let’s go?”

 

Jihoon nodded as a response and trailed behind Soonyoung to the stage. As they arrived on the stage, he caught a glance of Mingyu that gesturing thumbs up to him? Or is it to Soonyoung? Who knows…

 

“Should we swap back to our original partner?” Jeonghan suggested.

 

“Oops! I’m afraid you can’t do so, Jeonghan-sshi.” Taking over the microphone, the MC starts to speak again.

 

“Why? We danced with wrong partner by mistake because it’s too dark.” Jeonghan defended.

 

“But still, you seem to enjoy yourself~” she teased and made Jeonghan, Jihoon and Seokmin blushed wilder.

 

“Anyway, let’s have a short interview with our winners here first, shall we?”

 

The crowds cheered, agreeing. The MC then starts with the first pair, Mingyu and Wonwoo.

 

“Can you introduce yourself shortly?” She passed the microphone to Mingyu.

 

“Um, hi? My name is Kim Mingyu. I’m a sophomore and this is my dance partner, Jeon Wonwoo. He’s a junior in other college.” On cue, Wonwoo just nodded shyly and only to receive a round of applause from the crowds.

 

“Oh, from other college? That’s interesting! Let’s move to the second pair.” After Mingyu returned the microphone, she walked over to the next pair, Jun and Minghao and passed the microphone to excited Jun.

 

“Hello! I’m Wen Junhui, a junior and this is my date slash my lover, Xu Minghao! He’s a sophomore!” He exclaimed brightly before passing the microphone back to the MC while Minghao already hit his arm with bright red face. The crowds cooed at the sight of shy Minghao and enthusiastic Jun.

 

“Awww! You guys are too adorable! This is not good for my heart~” She cooed. “But let’s not get drown further as the next pair is kinda unexpected? Let’s hear them out.” She passed the microphone to Seungcheol.

 

“Hello. As you guys know, I’m Choi Seungcheol, the senior. Well, my date should be Jihoon but seems like I danced with my best friend, Jeonghan by mistake instead since it was too dark?” He giggled as well scratched the back of his neck nervously. The crowds followed suit when some of them broke into laughter.  

 

“That’s unfortunate~ we will listen to what Jihoon-sshi feels about it later but for now, let’s have Joshua-sshi!” She passed the microphone to Joshua now.

 

“Hi, everyone. I’m Joshua Hong, a senior. Well, this is my dance partner, Lee Seokmin who comes with Jeonghan tonight. So, as Seungcheol said just now, we kinda swapped our partners accidentally due to the dark. Can’t blame us, right?” He giggled.

 

“Yeah. It is dark. I almost got slapped by my girlfriend for touching unnecessary part.” Random voice from the crowds lightened the mood when everyone began to laugh as well as Soonyoung.

 

“Did you stand nearby each other?” The MC asked again.

 

“Yeah. We are chattering when you announced the dance. So, when the music blasts, we just grabbed a person nearby, assuming it as our partner.” Joshua explained the actual situation.  

 

“I see. Anyhow, you guys already danced and I can say that you guys did a very good job since you guys are selected as winners!”

 

“Hehe. Thanks.”

 

“You are welcome! So, for the last pair… Finally we have the infamous Lee Jihoon on board!” The crowds started to cheer. “Let’s hear what he’s going to say about this dance-by-mistake thing!” She passed the microphone to dumbfounded Jihoon.

 

“Uh… Hi. I’m Lee Jihoon, a junior. This is… uh… Joshua hyung’s partner for tonight, Kwon Soonyoung. Well, yeah… I danced with him by mistake…” Jihoon gestured to Soonyoung. The crowds cooed at how nervous Lee Jihoon sounded.

 

“Aww… but seriously, if I don’t know you are seeing Seungcheol-sshi, I would have thought you guys are dating. You guys look like you are in different world when you guys dance together.” The MC spoken for the truth and somehow made Jihoon’s heart thumping loudly. The crowds are not helping at all when they cheered for that statement. “Perhaps do you have something to add, Jihoon-sshi~?” She teased again.

 

“Uh… Seungcheol and I are not dating…” Jihoon blurted out inaudibly but loud enough for Soonyoung, who stood next to him, to hear that.  

 

Soonyoung knows Jihoon are not comfortable about it but before he could take over the microphone from the MC, Seungcheol already one step ahead him. Seungcheol knelt down in front of Jihoon, took the younger’s hand and kissed it gently. “They are just dancing, without knowing who’s behind the mask, MC-nim. This is the purpose of masquerade, right?” Jihoon was shocked while the crowds already squealed like hell. He knows Seungcheol was doing this on purpose but why he felt like he wants to rile someone up?

 

Is it Soonyoung? Glancing slightly at Soonyoung’s direction, the red haired acted indifferent. Obviously not him, Jihoon. What do you expect?

 

“Awww~ I’m surrender!” Rising her hands playfully before continue to speak again. “Then, shall we enjoy the dance once again? Oh, with the lights and your respective partners, surely!” The crowds cheered agreeing.

 

“Music cue!” She commanded. Taking their respective partners’ hand, everyone began their dance as the music blasted the hall.

 

Jihoon caught a glimpse of Soonyoung’s placing his hand on Joshua’s hips like he did to him just now shortly when the music starts. He admits it breaks his heart seeing them in that position but what can he do? He had just mistaken you to Joshua hyung, Jihoon… Stop day-dreaming, dude. Jihoon thought inwardly, unaware that Seungcheol already led him to dance.

 

“Jihoon.” Seungcheol’s velvety voice startled him. He just realized that Seungcheol’s face is closer to him. He brushed him off on reflect much to Seungcheol’s dismay. Obviously, it caught the older off-guard but not that he’s complaining.

 

“I’m s-sorry…!” Jihoon apologized.

 

“Did something happen?” Seungcheol asked and only to receive a soft ‘no’ from Jihoon. He knows Jihoon is hiding something but he doesn’t want to be nosy so he shrugged it off until his sight trailed on something (more to someone).

 

“Shall we get something to eat?” Joshua asked and before Soonyoung could reply, he already grabbed Soonyoung’s hand and dragged him to the food counter.

 

“Anything for you hyung~”

 

“We are joining you guys too~” Jeonghan trailed behind with Seokmin, joining them.

 

Jihoon still can’t peel his sight off the red haired that just reunited with Jeonghan and Seokmin. They are chattering and Soonyoung was laughing, probably because of Seokmin’s joke. Is it because he knows I’m stalking him that he ignored me? Jihoon thought inwardly. Shortly, Mingyu and Wonwoo joined them as well as Jun and Minghao.

 

“Soonyoungie, there’s something on your cheek. Come here, I wipe it out for you.” Being the caring and sweet he is, Joshua wiped off the sauce on Soonyoung’s cheek with his thumb.

 

“Oh, thank you, Shua hyung~” Soonyoung beamed.

 

It hurts Jihoon to the core when he witnessed their lovely act. He can’t hold it anymore. It’s too much for him to handle. Why is he doing this anyway? He should just confess to Soonyoung and end his misery but what’s holding him back? Rejection? But Soonyoung already knows he likes him! Ahhh! Wake up Lee Jihoon! You can’t be like this forever! 

 

“Jihoon.” As Jihoon was contemplated internally, Seungcheol’s voice snapped him back to reality. “Y-Yes?”

 

“I don’t think I can do this anymore.” Squeezing Jihoon’s hand, Seungcheol dragged him out which much to everyone’s dismay including Jihoon, himself.

 

“Seungcheol hyung…?”

 

Jihoon managed to catch a glimpse of Soonyoung before exited and surprisingly, their eyes met. In Jihoon’s Kwon Soonyoung Encyclopedia, he can interpret Soonyoung’s eyes as a disappointment but why? Why should he feel that way? Shouldn’t he felt that way towards Soonyoung instead?

 

While his mind is clouded with that thought, he doesn’t realize that he’s already inside Seungcheol’s sports car until Seungcheol’s voice snapped him back once again.

 

“I’m sorry but I think I had enough of this , Jihoon.” Seungcheol took off his mask.

 

Obviously unclear with the current situation, Jihoon tilted his head in confusion. “Hyung? Is there something wrong?” What’s gotten into Seungcheol hyung out of blue?

 

Seungcheol heaved a sigh before finally said something. “Let me tell you the truth.” 

 

Jihoon nodded as a cue for Seungcheol to continue.

 

“I…I have a crush on my best friend. By best friend, I mean Joshua…” He confessed.

 

Jihoon widened his eyes in surprised but he remained his composure nonetheless. Surely that confession caught him off-guard but he had to remain calm and hear Seungcheol out first.

 

“Supposedly I ask him to be my date but before I could say anything, he said he won’t attend so I don’t bother to ask anymore. But tonight he came with someone else…” Seungcheol said with a sad smile plastered on his face. “Do you know how heart-broken it is seeing your crush all lovey-dovey with someone else?”

 

Now Jihoon realized that he’s not alone in this heart-broken boat. He thought he’s the only one triggered when watching the couple. Unexpectedly, Seungcheol felt the same. But even so, he won’t tell Seungcheol about his crush on Soonyoung. At least not for now.

 

“So…what are you going to do now?”

 

“I don’t know… like there’s no way I can stop my best friend’s happiness! Soonyoung looks like a nice guy too but you know… I just cannot brain! It’s too sudden! Joshua never introduced him to me before! I don’t know what I should do now, Jihoon…” Seungcheol ran his fingers through his hair, ruffling them exasperatedly. He lost his coolness and this is literally the first time Jihoon had seen that side of him. He can’t help but to pity the other.  

 

“I can help you if you want…” Unconsciously, he blurted it out.

 

Seungcheol lifted up his face with hopeful eyes. “How…?”

 

“I know Soonyoung. He’s my neighbour, actually… I can ask him about his relationship with Joshua hyung if you want… well… we are close. I’m surprised that he’s attending the prom with Joshua hyung because when I mentioned about prom, he seems clueless. So I think maybe he’s tagging along with Joshua hyung since Joshua hyung doesn’t have a date yet and Soonyoung is a great dancer to begin with so yeah… they might be friends who help each other like we do…” Jihoon blabbered and surely exaggerated. He’s mentioning about prom to Soonyoung? Yeah right. There’s no way he did that. He can’t even make an eye-contact with him let alone to ask him. Close? Yeah. He’s Soonyoung’s stalker to begin with so he knows almost everything about him except for Joshua. So he needs to ask him regardless even if it needs 1000 of his courage to do so. Confrontation is the only choice right now!

 

“Thank you, Jihoon!!” Seungcheol pulled him into a hug. But then something unexpected caught Jihoon’s eyes. Jeonghan was about to approach them but his steps abruptly dead when he saw they were hugging. From the look of it, Jeonghan seems upset? But why? Using his title as a smart student, Jihoon tried to connect the anecdote and only to come out with something surprising even to himself.

 

“You are my life saver, Jihoon! Sorry about kissing your hand in front of the crowds before. I kinda went overboard to make Joshua jealous though I know I will just stir something unimportant instead…” Seungcheol smiled sheepishly at his childish behaviour.

 

Ah. He did want to rile someone up.

 

But hyung… How I want to say that you didn’t make Joshua hyung jealous but Jeonghan hyung instead… Jihoon came out with the theory that the best friend trio is circling around each other but oblivious to it. Seungcheol likes Joshua but the latter didn’t know. Meanwhile, Jeonghan most likely likes Seungcheol. If his theory is right, Joshua probably likes Jeonghan too but since he knows Jeonghan likes Seungcheol, he steps away which made him to hire Soonyoung as his date. Yup. That explains why Soonyoung attended the prom with Joshua hyung. They are not dating. Jihoon convince himself.  

 

“It’s okay, hyung. I understand.”

 

“But Jihoon, you like Soonyoung, right?” Seungcheol wriggled his brows cheekily and only to receive a blank stare from Jihoon.  

 

“Am I that obvious?” He asked bluntly.

 

Seungcheol on the other hand was contemplated either to laugh or not. He did want to laugh with the reaction given but Jihoon’s straight face prevented him from doing so. Somehow he just responded with a nod.  

 

“Damn. I shouldn’t help you, hyung.”

 

“EHHH…”