Prom Date

Stalker Knows You The Best

After the incident at the Mingyu’s, Jihoon avoided Soonyoung as much as he can. Since he knows the latter’s schedule, it’s easy to avoid but sometimes Soonyoung just popped out without warning. It’s not good for his heart if keeps continuing like this.

   

“Mornin’ Jihoon!” Jun smacked Jihoon’s back to greet as soon as he spotted the shorter in the class. Obviously, it startled Jihoon. He almost swears out loud but luckily he managed to contain it.  

 

“JUN! Do you want me to die” Jihoon snapped in whisper-yell tone. 

 

Jun just smiled sheepishly and took a seat next to Jihoon. “Ji, have you found your partner yet?”

 

“Partner?” Jihoon raised an eyebrow in wonder.  

 

“Oh gosh! The prom, surely! What else?”

 

Jihoon just went ‘oh’ and resumed his scribble.

 

“That’s it!?” Jun said in disbelief with Jihoon’s reaction. “You do know that it’s compulsory, right?”

 

Jihoon rolled his eyes. “I’m not that ignorant.”

 

“So?”

 

“So what? I’m going with you then.”

 

The sentence made Jun blinked in confusion. “Are you serious?”

 

“Yeah. Too lazy to think unless if you…” Jihoon halted his scribble and turned to Jun. “Don’t tell me you are going with Minghao.” He asked despite knowing the answer.

 

Jun shrugged his shoulders. “That’s why I’m asking you.”

 

Jihoon face palmed when he recalled that his friend is in relationship with the sophomore, Xu Minghao. He must have looked like an idiot yet desperate friend.

 

“I’m sorry, Jihoon. Do you want me to find you a partner perhaps?” It’s Jun who felt somewhat guilty instead for ‘abandoning’ his friend.  

 

“Nah. Not your fault. Maybe I will just say yes if someone asked me to go with them.”

 

“No, no, you can’t simply trust them, Ji! What if they take advantage on you?” Jun’s overprotectiveness side towards Jihoon is now activated.

 

“What advantage? Are you nuts?” Jihoon said, somewhat annoyed. He’s thankful that Jun cares for him but this overprotectiveness side of him sometimes infuriated him.

 

“Anyway, I disagree.” Jun exclaimed.

 

“What are you? My father?” Jihoon rolled his eyes, ignoring every single word that Jun uttered after that until he heard something unexpected.

 

“…Kwon Soonyoung…?”

 

“What did you just say?” Jihoon is good at doing pseudo listening though. He only listens to what he wants to hear. Surely, Kwon Soonyoung is a part of it.

 

“I say, how about try asking Kwon Soonyoung to accompany you? He’s a good guy, seriously. I even have his number if you want.”

 

Jihoon stared at him with confusion. “Since when did you befriend with him?”

 

“Hmm. After you left, we went to nearby coffee shop and chattered! Seriously, I’m so comfortable around him! Even though I just knew him but feel like years already!” Tapping his fingers on his chin in between, Jun said excitedly.

 

Somehow, Jihoon regrets for leaving so soon. Even Jun already went out with Soonyoung. When will he ever?

 

“Jihoon? Are you okay?” Realizing the space off Jihoon, Jun waved his hand in front of his face.

 

Jihoon let out a sigh and swatted his hand away. “I’m fine.”

 

“So… Do you want me to ask Soonyoung for your favour?”

 

“Nah. I’m good. You don’t have to worry about me. I will tell you when I found my partner.”

 

Jun’s face brightened upon hearing it. “Sounds better that way! Do tell me later!”

 

“Yes, yes.” Jihoon just simply sighed and returned to his scribble. His mind drifted somewhere else.  

 

 

“No class for next Saturday, hyung. Remember that~ I’m going to prom~” Seokmin who just dropped Soonyoung off in front of Mingyu’s restaurant said before leaving.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I got it~ thanks for the ride! Drive safely!” Soonyoung waved him goodbye before proceed to Mingyu’s.

 

“The usual one, Mingyu~” He ordered. Tonight, the restaurant looks so hectic and there’s no vacant table. His sight stopped at Jihoon who’s looking at him with come-and-sit-here face (from Soonyoung’s POV). Smiling, he walks towards the shorter.

 

“Hey, mind if I sit here? There’s no vacant seat… or is this seat occupied too?”

 

Jihoon just shook his head. “C-C-Can you sit.” He stammered and unconsciously tripped over his words. WHAT THE HECK WITH ‘CAN YOU SIT’ LEE JIHOON???? Is it that hard to say ‘yes, you can sit’?? He must have thought I plead him to sit! AHHHH! He screamed internally.

 

“Thanks!” Soonyoung however does not retort to it but flashed him a smile instead, thus, took a seat across him.

 

Jihoon nodded slightly and makes sure to avoid any eye-contact with someone name Kwon Soonyoung who is sitting in front of him. I should have known this will happen but why I’m still doing this, though? It’s not like he will accept my invitation. He thought inwardly. The reason Jihoon stayed in Mingyu’s because he wants to ask Soonyoung to be his date for the prom as he knows Soonyoung will drop by here right after he teaches the kids but how he will do that when he can’t even make an eye contact with him?

 

“I’m sorry for the other day. I haven’t apologized to you properly…” Soonyoung blurted out.

 

“I-It’s okay… I’m not hurt anywhere…” Being a Lee Jihoon, surely he said in sheepish tone (when talking to Kwon Soonyoung ONLY). The image of their fell down position suddenly came across his mind and thus, heating up his cheek. Damn! Why now?!

 

“Sorry for making you wait! This is your food!” There’s Mingyu to the rescue (on Jihoon’s POV). He served Soonyoung personally and even dragged a chair to sit together with them.

 

“I thought you are busy?” Soonyoung scoffed.

 

“I’m taking a break. I need to ask you something, hyung.” Mingyu tried to appear as serious as possible.  

 

Soonyoung raised an eyebrow, pointing a finger to himself. “Me?”

 

Mingyu nodded as a response while Jihoon started to pay attention (even though he doesn’t look like one).

 

“Sure. What is it?”

 

Mingyu fidgeted his fingers and looked around nervously. There, he just realized Jihoon’s existence there.

 

“Jihoon hyung? You are here too?” Mingyu asked as if amnesia took him over. His mind must have been occupied with various thoughts until he forgot that he served Jihoon 15 minutes ago.  

 

Soonyoung smacked his head. “He’s here before me, Mingyu.”

 

Jihoon almost let out a laugh when Mingyu whined in pain but he managed to contain it and acts indifferent.

 

“Wait. Jihoon hyung, do you have a date for the prom yet? Or perhaps you want to ask Soonyoung hyung to be your date? And that’s explained why you are here?” Mingyu asked bluntly. 

 

Jihoon felt his heart stopped a second when he heard Mingyu. It’s not helping at all when Soonyoung stared at him with anticipation. He swears if Soonyoung is not here, he will kill this beanpole right here without hesitant.

 

“Oh, you guys have prom?” Soonyoung asked in between his munch after he saw Jihoon reluctant to reply Mingyu.

 

“Annually prom and it’s compulsory too. Luckily, I already have a date.” Mingyu said, wiggling his eyebrows proudly.

 

“You already have yours, Jihoon?” Soonyoung’s question is like an arrow stabbing him. That’s the real reason he braced himself here. He wants to ask Soonyoung to be his date for the prom but he’s too shy to ask moreover when Soonyoung found out that he stalks him. He’s just digging his own grave. Well, it’s surprising enough that he can still face Soonyoung after he found out. What is an embarrassment? You can do this Lee Jihoon!

 

“I…I already have a date.” Unconsciously, he blurted it out.

 

“Oh really?? Who is your date, hyung??” Mingyu asked eagerly.

 

Jihoon remained silent. DAMN. What did I just say!?

 

SMACK. Soonyoung smacked Mingyu’s head once again.

 

“Mind your own business, Gyu.”

 

“Ow!” He groaned in pain. “I’m just curious on who Jihoon hyung chose. It’s Jihoon hyung though…” he said while rubbing his throbbing head.

 

“I go with him… Seungcheol hyung, that’s it.” Jihoon finally replied.  

 

Mingyu jaw dropped. His eyes widened in shocked too.   

 

Great, Lee Jihoon. You are doing a VERY good job. RIP. Jihoon shattered into pieces inwardly with his own decision.

 

“Satisfied now Mingyu-sshi?” Soonyoung said with smug face. Mingyu just nodded but still the shocking expression remains.

 

“Thanks for the food. Excuse me.” Jihoon bowed slightly before proceed to the counter to pay. He had enough of this.

 

“Hyung.” Mingyu nudged Soonyoung.

 

“What?”

 

“You know what, Seungcheol hyung is another perfect guy.”

 

“Oh really? They are a perfect match then.” Soonyoung replied, indifferent.

 

“Aren’t you jealous, hyung?”

 

“What for?”

 

“He chose Seungcheol hyung over you?” He tilted his head innocently, anticipating a reply from Soonyoung.  

 

Soonyoung shrugged his shoulders. “There’s nothing to jealous of. We are just neighbours. Nothing more.”

 

“If you say so…” Mingyu shrugged it off, giving up prying for more.

 

“So, what is it that you want to ask me? I’m still waiting for it.”

 

“Oh right! I want you to teach me how to dance. There will be a dance during the prom so at least I don’t want to look bad.” Mingyu said sheepishly while scratching the back of his head.

 

“Oh, interesting~ what will I gain from this?” Soonyoung raised an eyebrow, anticipating Mingyu’s answer.

 

Mingyu wriggled his eyebrows and smirked. “Name it.”

 

Meanwhile, Jihoon already arrived at his home. He fished his phone from the pocket and typed a reply.

 

From: Seungcheol hyung Sent at 17:30

 

Jihoon-ah, do you mind going to the prom with me? I don’t have a date yet… :(((

 

To: Seungcheol hyung Sent at 22:30

 

Sure.

 

A few seconds later, Seungcheol replied.

 

From: Seungcheol hyung Sent at 22:31

 

Yay! I will pick you up okay?

 

To: Seungcheol hyung Sent at 22:32

 

Sure, hyung.

 

Thus, Jihoon chucked his phone on the bed and slouched himself.

 

“You are hopeless, Jihoon……” He muttered.

 

 

As soon as Jihoon stepped into the university’s ground, people start to murmur.

 

“I heard Jihoon chose Seungcheol hyung as his date.”

 

“Isn’t it Seungcheol hyung chose Jihoon as his date?”

 

“Anyhow, aren’t they cute together? They match!”

 

“They are in the same music club, right?”

 

Jihoon let out a sigh and pretended like he didn’t hear anything. Weird. How did they even know? Did Seungcheol spread the news? It’s not something endearing to hear early in the morning. He wished someone will shut them up.

 

“Ahem! Don’t you have better things to do instead of gossiping?” As his pray has being answered, Jun appeared out of nowhere as a saviour, clearing his throat, interrupting them. They gasped in surprised and quickly walked away.

 

“Jun…”

 

“Morning, Ji~” Jun greeted him happily. Realizing his friend looked somewhat distress, he leaned closer to him, caressing his cheek concernedly. “Are you okay, Ji?”

 

“I’m screwed, Jun…”

 

“You know you have me, right? So, mind telling me what’s on your mind?” He asked softly, just like talking to a little child. This is literally his first time seeing Jihoon so distress over something. Usually, everything is under his control. 

 

“I don’t know… I don’t know what to do with this feeling anymore…”

 

“Okay… Firstly, you need to calm down, Ji. You always said that to me, remember?”

 

Jihoon nodded and thus heaved a sigh.

 

“So, what is it?” Jun finally asked when he saw the shorter looks calm now.

 

“Kwon Soonyoung.”

 

“Kwon Soonyoung? Did he disturb you!?” Jun made an assumption with the aforementioned name.

 

“No, no. Just…It’s just…” Jihoon’s face started to heat up. “I have a crush on him…” he blurted it out regardless much to Jun’s dismay.

 

Jun jaw dropped, trying to connect the anecdote. Therefore, he remembered where he heard Soonyoung’s name before and it is from Jihoon, himself. He saw him scribbled his name previously (during their freshman years) on his notes.

 

“Jihoon, don’t tell me your Kwon Soonyoung is the same Soonyoung you scribbled during freshman year on your notes and the same Soonyoung I know…” Jun said in disbelief.

 

“You peeked at my notes!?”

 

“That’s not important right now! Just answer me. Is it the same Kwon Soonyoung?”

 

Jihoon let out a sigh and nodded. “Yes. He’s my neighbour.”

 

Jun gasped. “Gosh, Lee Jihoon! I can’t believe you! Have you confessed yet?”

 

“It’s too embarrassing!” Jihoon yelped with bright red face.

 

Jun grasped Jihoon’s shoulder, trying to convince him. “Look, Jihoon. There’s nothing to embarrass about. Let’s meet Soonyoung after this and clear up everything so that you can ask him to be your date for the upcoming prom! You never know until you try, Jihoon! Just like Minghao and I!”

 

“No, Jun. The thing is I already have a date…” Jihoon said, hesitantly.

 

Jun widened his eyes in shocked. “Don’t tell me you are going with Seungcheol hyung as they said.”

 

“Yeah… He asked me and I agreed…”

 

Jun was about to explode but he understands his friend well. Jihoon is not a type to express his feelings openly. So, he telling him about his feeling towards Soonyoung is more than enough. He let out a sigh and thus pulled the shorter into his embrace.

 

“It’s okay Jihoon. There’s always next time. Just enjoy your time with Seungcheol hyung okay? Minghao and I are there too in case you feel awkward with him.” Being a good friend he is, Jun comforted him as much as he can.

 

“Thanks Jun. Never know that you could be this reliable…” Jihoon scoffed.

 

“HEY!! I’m always reliable!” Jun yelped.

 

There, Jihoon started to laugh once again, thanks to Jun. “Yeah right.”

 

 

Ding Dong.

 

“Coming~” Auntie Kwon went to get the door. As she opened it, a tall, glasses brunette is smiling sweetly at her.

 

“Good morning, Auntie.” He greeted.

 

“Oh, Wonwoo-seonsaengnim! Good morning!” She replied fondly. “What makes you here?”

 

Wonwoo used to be Chan’s (and also Soonyoung’s) home tutor for free since he’s indebted with Soonyoung. He and Soonyoung are friends. They met at the bookstore where Wonwoo left his wallet and Soonyoung paid for him but refused for a payback. So, they eventually become friends. Wonwoo offered to teach Chan extra lesson for free and even Soonyoung (since he didn’t go to high school).

 

“Please don’t call me seonsaengnim, Auntie. I’m just a student.” He said politely.

 

“But you teach both of my boys and I’m very grateful to you!”

 

Wonwoo just softened into a smile and proceed with his real intention coming here. “Is Soonyoung around?”

 

“Yeah. He just woke up 10 minutes ago.”

 

“Wonwoo! Wait a sec!” Shortly, he heard Soonyoung yelled his name from inside the house.

 

“Where are you guys going?” She asked.

 

“We are going to the stu—”

 

“Studying place which is library!” Soonyoung cut him off.

 

“Yeah. Library.” Wonwoo nodded.

 

“Oh. Well then, I hope you guys study well!”

 

“Yes. We will take our leave first then.” Wonwoo bowed politely before leaving.

 

“See you, Mom!”

 

Therefore, the duo walked off the apartment and headed to their so-called library.

 

“You should at least tell her that you are going to teach me dance at the dance studio.”

 

“Nahh. In my mom’s eyes, you are the teacher. I can’t ruin that image of yours.” He chuckled.

 

“What kind of logic is that?” Curious kicks in, Wonwoo asked (though he anticipated some gibberish coming out from him).

 

“It’s Kwon’s Logic.” Soonyoung stated proudly.

 

He snorted on how stupid he was, for asking him a question like that even though he knows how Soonyoung will respond. “Nonsense.” He blurted out bluntly.

 

“Haha! Anyway, what makes a bookworm Jeon Wonwoo wants to learn dancing? Could it be due to a certain chef from Kim’s Restaurant asked him to be his date for the upcoming prom~?” Soonyoung teased.

 

Wonwoo shot him a glare but Soonyoung’s just wriggling his eyebrows mischievously.

 

“And I bet a certain perfect guy has invited a certain dancer for a prom, I guess?” Wonwoo said with smug face.

 

“Nahh~ that certain perfect guy has his own perfect guy~ there’s no room for imperfect dancer.”

 

“Oh? What makes that so-called imperfect dancer so sure?”

 

“Instinct.”

 

“A certain bookworm can only respond with ‘anticipate it’ to that so-called imperfect dancer though.”

 

“What kind of logic is that?”

 

Wonwoo smirked. “It’s Jeon’s Logic.”

 

Can’t believe Wonwoo just copied him, Soonyoung snorted and said the exact thing like Wonwoo. “Nonsense~” Therefore, they burst out laughter in unison on how foolish their conversation was. They always like this after they befriend. Even though they have opposite personalities but there’s some sort of mutual understanding between them and that’s what makes them blend in with each other.