Red Box

Stalker Knows You The Best

The calm atmosphere in the library is always the best place for a quiet Lee Jihoon. He will spend most of his time in the library after done with the classes. But the actual reason he’s always in the library is because of a certain troublemaker who always hangs out in front of the library, Kwon Soonyoung. Sitting at the same spot every day, Jihoon can see Soonyoung directly from the 2nd floor of the library. Today is no difference.

 

The troublemaker is dancing gracefully with his fellow friends on the streets, ignoring the glares thrown by people nearby. As soon as he finished with the dance, he flashed his trademark smile. Bright, pure and beautiful (from Jihoon’s POV).

 

Jihoon can’t help but softened into a smile whenever Soonyoung flashed his smile. He feels as if he’s in wonderland whenever he sees the smile.  

 

“Same person, same spot and same book every day. I guess you should apply what you have read, Mister.” A deep voice snapped Jihoon to reality. Shortly, he found a man around 180cm tall is standing before him. The man is smirking while looking at the book he’s holding right now.

 

1717 Ways to Approach Your Crush.

 

After digesting what the man said previously, Jihoon’s face flushed into bright red. He tried to hide the book but failed miserably. The guy’s lips curved into a smile as he stretched his hand forward.

 

“Jeon Wonwoo, the librarian.” The guy introduced himself.

 

Jihoon shook the hand and replied softly. “Lee Jihoon…” His cheek still tints in pink.

 

“Don’t make a fuss in front of the library! You are disturbing the neighbourhood too!” A voice from outside caught both their attention.

 

“Kwon Soonyoung. People said he’s a bad guy, commits stealing, being a public nuisance—”

 

“He’s not!” Jihoon cut him off abruptly and startled the librarian.

 

“Okay…” Wonwoo raised his hand, surrenders.

 

Jihoon flustered when he recalled being too obvious but still manage to retain his composure outward. “S-Someone framed him. Soonyoung’s helping out the old woman but since the purse is with him, they accused him.”

 

Last week, an old woman got her purse taken and coincidently, Soonyoung was there so he chased after the snatcher and took the purse back. As he returned, people thought he’s the one who stole it so they took him to the police. People thought his mother bailed him out but the truth was Jihoon’s the one who helped him by becoming an eye-witness to that case. However, nobody knows about it, even Soonyoung himself.

 

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow. “How did you know?”

 

Jihoon looked away with a slight blush. “I was there…”

 

Wonwoo’s lips curved into a smile again. “I see. So, you are that mysterious eye-witness. Now I know who is your crush.” He teased.

 

Jihoon flinched and blushed even more. “I-I have to go!” He quickly packed his things and bowed slightly before leaving the amused librarian.

 

1717 Ways to Approach Your Crush, huh~” Wonwoo smiled when he recalled the title of the book.

 

 

“I’m home Grandma…” Jihoon let out a sigh before slumbered on the sofa.

 

“Welcome back, Jihoon. Today, grandma cooks your favourite dish. Go and clean yourself first and we can eat together afterwards.”

 

Jihoon lives with his grandma in a small apartment. His parents work in overseas and he’s bored staying alone so he’s staying with his grandma for the time being, as well look after her.

 

“Okay, grandma…” Jihoon lazily walked into his room. He realized his room is rather clean. Perhaps his grandma must have cleaned the mess but…

 

“Grandma! Where is the box that I keep under the table?” Jihoon asked as the box he kept under the table was never to be found.

 

His grandma poked her head on the room. “Is it important…?” she asked, somewhat panicked.

 

Jihoon nodded with a slight blush. “Yeah…”

 

“But grandma already threw it away… I thought the box is just rubbish… There are just empty bottle of perfume, worn out clothes…” She said, somewhat guilty.

 

Jihoon’s heart dropped when he heard that. The box contains everything about his crush, Kwon Soonyoung. Whenever Soonyoung threw his things away, Jihoon would secretly pick it up and keep it inside the box. 3 years he’s been doing this. Now that the box is gone, he has to start over.

 

Jihoon let out a sigh and went to shower heavy-heartedly. “Never mind, grandma…”

 

 

“Mom, I’m going to Seokmin’s.”

 

“Soonyoung.” His mom called him before he exits the house.

 

She fidgeted her fingers, hesitated with her words. “Chan is going to start his college soon… So…”

 

Soonyoung turned around and placed his hands on her shoulders. “Don’t worry, mom. We can afford to send Chan to college.” He reassured her with his trademark smile.

 

“Hyung, where are you going?” The half-awake little brother of Soonyoung mumbled as well rubbed his sleepy eyes.

 

“Oh, I’m going to class!”

 

“What class? It’s already 8 p.m.” He said in puzzlement. Now he’s fully awake. Blame Soonyoung for that.

 

“Night class~” He winked naughtily.

 

They exchanged stares but none of them open their mouth until his mother finally broke the silence.  

 

“Soonyoung, I don’t want you to involve in—”

 

“I’m not, mom. You don’t have to worry about me. Chan, take care of mom, okay? Bye~!” He shut the door before them and skipped to the elevator, leaving them speechless.

 

“Mom, what’s hyung doing?” Curious, Chan asked straightway.

 

She just softened into a smile and caressed his cheek. “Don’t worry about your hyung. He’s just helping Seokmin out.” She convinced him by bringing Seokmin’s name. Since he knows Seokmin, he simply bought the lie.

 

Soonyoung’s staying in the same 17th floor as Jihoon so it’s not weird if they bumped into each other every time they wait for the elevator. But Jihoon doesn’t take this as a “coincidence” because he KNOWS EXACTLY when Soonyoung’s going out. Tonight was no difference. They met while waiting for the elevator.

 

The moment when their eyes met, Jihoon would immediately look away and act indifferent. Every single day is the same. Even if they are inside the elevator, they won’t say anything to each other, not even a greeting. 

 

Usually Soonyoung is a friendly type of person but he can’t bring himself to be one when he’s around Jihoon even if he tries to. He feels so small compare to Jihoon.

 

PING. The elevator finally reached the ground floor. Usually they will part ways as soon as they exited but tonight, Jihoon’s going to the same direction as Soonyoung.

 

“Mingyu!” Soonyoung waved to his friend who’s currently setting up the chairs and tables of his restaurant. Mingyu is the restaurant owner’s son. Soonyoung often dropped by at the restaurant before heading to Seokmin’s place.

 

“Oh, hyung! You are together with Jihoon hyung?” Mingyu pointed to Jihoon who’s creeping behind him.

 

Soonyoung quickly turned around and found the flustered Jihoon who’s shaking his head in denial furiously. He’s really flushing in bright red right now. Soonyoung pitied the shorter. He probably doesn’t want to associate with him yet Mingyu grouped them together.

 

Jihoon who’s supposedly heading to Mingyu’s restaurant to grab some food, detoured to another direction.

 

Soonyoung smacked Mingyu’s head when Jihoon disappeared from their sight. “That one is a no-no. He’s a good guy. Don’t .”

 

“OW!” Mingyu groaned in pain while rubbing his throbbing head. “I’m just asking though…!” He wailed.

 

“What is it that you want to tell me? You keep asking me to drop by at your restaurant as if I didn’t do it every day. So, what is it?” Soonyoung crossed his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow, anticipating Mingyu’s answer.

 

“Oh! You sit here first, hyung! I have something for you!” Mingyu forced Soonyoung to sit down on the chair he just settled and ran back into the restaurant. Soonyoung watched every single step he made and burst out laughter when the younger almost trip on his own legs. Mingyu is really a klutz. He reappeared while holding a red box on his hand.

 

“This!” Mingyu placed the box on the table. “I found this near the dumping area.”

 

“This is not mine though.” Soonyoung denied.

 

“Take a look first, hyung!” Mingyu exclaimed. Complied, Soonyoung opened the red box.

 

Ta-da! His eyes widened in surprised when he found his pictures atop it. It was taken from various angle and places too. He dug even deeper and found his worn out clothes that he threw away, his wristband and even his empty bottle of perfume. “Holy .”

 

“Surprised, right?”

 

Soonyoung nodded as a response.

 

“But you know what even more surprised?” Mingyu wriggled his eyebrows, raising the tension.

 

“What?” Soonyoung anticipated the answer.

 

Mingyu flipped one of the pictures, the picture of Soonyoung smiles the brightest.

 

A star that makes my heart flutters, Kwon Soonyoung… -WooZi

 

Soonyoung gasped in surprised. “Oh my God!”  

 

“That’s not all, hyung!” Mingyu flipped another picture of Soonyoung refreshing himself, with the towel hung over his neck.

 

A star that triggers me in every way, Kwon Soonyoung… -WooZi

 

It startled Soonyoung even more. First of all, whoever this person is, he/she is a stalker!   

 

“Hyung! You have a secret admirer!!” Mingyu exclaimed excitedly.

 

“This is not secret admirer, this is a stalker! But who is this WooZi though?” Soonyoung furrowed his eyebrows and looked through the box once again, finding for another clue that could lead to this so-called secret admirer.

 

“Seriously, hyung!? You don’t know who WooZi is??” Mingyu asked in disbelief.

 

Soonyoung just shook his head innocently. “Is that person really famous? You know that person?”

 

“Hyung! It’s Lee Jihoon! He’s the guy who lives in the same floor as you! That ‘perfect guy’! That ‘no-no guy’ you said just now!” Mingyu exclaimed as well clasped his hands together with Soonyoung’s.

 

“Pfft!” Soonyoung snorted and pinched Mingyu’s cheek. “Are you still in your dreamland, Mingyu-sshi?” He scoffed. Out of people that Mingyu can point out, he chose that perfect guy. Soonyoung just can’t believe this klutz.  

 

“No, hyung! I’m deadly serious! WooZi is Lee Jihoon’s nickname! I study in the same university as him! He’s majoring in music so WooZi is sort of his nickname.” Mingyu said firmly.

 

“Just like a stage name?” Slowly believing in the story, Soonyoung asked.

 

“Yeah! That’s right! Oh hyung! You are so lucky a person like Jihoon hyung likes you! It’s hard to impress him though! Many tried to woo him but never once he paid them any attention. Well, it makes sense why he doesn’t bother about it because his eyes only set on you~” Mingyu nudged Soonyoung playfully.

 

Soonyoung on the other hand was dumbfounded and hardly digested everything. How come a perfect person like Lee Jihoon likes him who’s struggling to live every single day? It just doesn’t make any sense for him.

 

“Hyung?” Mingyu tilted his head.

 

Soonyoung let out a sigh. “Look, Mingyu. There’s no way a perfect guy like him would like a bad guy like me. It must be some kind of misunderstanding.” He stood up and ruffled Mingyu’s hair. “Even if he does, I think it’s just in the past. You found it nearby the dump, right? Well, that’s explained everything.” He flashed him a smile before walking towards a car. “I have to work now. See you, Mingyu~ thank you for telling me this~”

 

He waved before slipped into the seat next to the driver. Mingyu just replied the wave and let out a sigh afterwards. His sight darted back at the red box.

 

“I guess he’s right. A trash is a trash.” Mingyu placed the box aside and continued his work.