Turning Tables

The Son of Zelos

Jaehwan leaned back on his throne, releasing a satisfied sigh at being back amongst the white marble walls of Olympus. 

Even though almost a year was nothing but minutes to an immortal God such as him, it had felt like centuries that he'd been away from his home. He'd been pretending for so long it felt uplifting to finally get back to where he was.

A woman scowled at him. "If you have your full power back, then why keep that shabby form?" she questioned.

"You wound me, Hera," Jaehwan said, not even opening his eyes. "I like this form. It seems to do well with the mortals. Of course, we cannot expect them to be pleased with only one form for eternity."

He slowly opened his eyes, setting them on his wife. "And besides, I do not have my full power back yet, but I am closer, and the boy is serving me well."

Hera looked like she might object to that, but she kept shut and turned away, like she always had. All through Zeus's terrible plans, through his torture of mortals in the name of good, to his nonchalant sacrificing of his own offspring, to his constant gallivanting with mortal women, she had always kept quiet and turned around.

Suddenly, the doors to the throne room burst open as Hermes rushed over, doubling over and panting.

"Hermes?" Jaehwan asked.

"What is the meaning of this interruption?" Hera asked, fuming.

"I-I'm sorry to interrupt," Hermes panted. "But a situation has arisen."

Jaehwan casually looked at him. "A situation has arisen?" he repeated. "And it couldn't have been dealt with at once?" 

Hermes shook his head. "It has spiraled out of control," he said, bowing respectfully.

"What has happened?" Jaehwan, slightly more interested, asked.

"Kratos has declared war against you, my lord!"

Jaehwan raised an eyebrow. "Kratos? Why would he do that?"

Hera scoffed. "You're as dense as ever," she said in a low voice, but cleared when Jaehwan cast a look in her direction. "He's found out that you've kidnapped his son," she said in a louder and clearer voice. "He may not be happy with your arrangement."

Jaehwan gave a chuckle. "I'll write him an apology letter later," he said, waving his hand slightly. 

Hermes looked stunned. "I-I'm not sure that'll ease his wrath."

"Then I'll go and apologize for not running it by him earlier," Jaehwan said.

"Zeus," Hera warned. "You know better than anyone that angering Kratos is not a good idea, and now he's declared war against you. Please take this a bit more seriously." The last part came out as a plea.

"Alright, alright," Jaehwan sighed. "Send for Ares."

"Ah, you see," Hermes nervously shifted on his feet. "Ares has joined Kratos."

Jaehwan's eyes widened. "What did you just say?"

"It's an all out war!" Hermes exclaimed. "Zelos is going around using his powers to convince Gods to Kratos's aid. The Olympians are choosing sides, preparing for battle. Already Ares and Dionysus have joined Kratos, and many are following. Hephaestus has stayed by your side, but he is considering leaving."

Jaehwan leaned back, holding his chin thoughtfully. "The situation is worse than it looks," he mused.

He looked at Hermes. "Send for Athena. Also ask Artemis and Apollo to meet me after my audience with Athena."

Hermes bowed low and left to relay the messages. Hera watched the doors shut behind him before turning to look at Jaehwan.

Zeus had the same cold look in his eyes as always as he sat thoughtfully on his throne, but Hera knew him well.

He'd sent for Athena, his best warrior and strategist.

That meant that Kratos had scared him, even if it was just a bit.

Hera turned back and left, trying to hide the small smile that formed on her lips. 


Sanghyuk led a stumbling Hakyeon through the stairwells of Hades's palace.

"Why has Kratos taken up arms against Zeus?" Hakyeon asked.

"He found out that Zeus is using his son as a power source," Sanghyuk explained. "But in reality, he's causing a diversion, keeping Zeus busy so that we can break off the power source and save Taekwoon." 

"And Hades is orchestrating all this?" 

Sanghyuk shrugged. "It's...complicated," he admitted. "They can explain it better to you."

He came to a stop when they burst through the door to find themselves in the main throne room, where Wonshik and Hongbin were waiting for them.

On seeing Hakyeon's plight, Hongbin quickly ran over to him in an effort to offer help, but came to a stop right in front of Hakyeon.

Hakyeon looked like the energy had been right out of him, with dark eye bags and a messy head. His arms were tinted red from burn marks sustained by trying to escape many times. 

Hongbin put his head down. "Hyung, I don't blame you if you never forgive me," he said, his voice heavy. "But I hope you'll at least accept my apology."

"It's alright-" Hakyeon attempted to say but Hongbin put his hand up, silencing him.

"No, I need to say this," he said. "I'm so sorry that I lied to you, deceived you, and caused you suffering." Hongbin took a shaky breath. "Zeus threatened to put me back on that rock, and after I received a bit of salvation, I didn't want to give it up, so I did his bidding, and I caused you harm by my actions. I made a mistake, a very big one, and that cost me you." 

He gave a small grin. "It's uncanny, the mistakes I made," he stated. "The first time, I went against Zeus. This time, I was so focused on my freedom that I went against my creations." 

He shook his head. "No, you're not just another human. You're the person who took me in when I was in a bad place, you've always been there for me. You're more than just another one of the humans. You're...you're a friend."

Hakyeon could feel the tears welling up in his eyes again. "And I hurt you badly," Hongbin continued to apologize. "I will pay for that terrible mistake with my guilt, but all I can do is apologize." He then smiled lightly. "I guess...this is what it's like to be human."

Sanghyuk smiled at him. "It's exactly like that." 

Hakyeon grinned. "What he said."

His face breaking out in a classic dimple smile, Hongbin rushed to Hakyeon's side, swinging his arm over his shoulder to support him. 

Wonshik then took a few steps forward. "Alright, now that we're done with the sentimental stuff, let's get down to business."

Hakyeon stared at him. "I still don't know what's truly going on," he said. "Since when did these two work for you and not Zeus?"

"Since Zeus released them from their oaths," Wonshik informed him.

Hakyeon looked at his two friends with wide eyes. "He made you two take oaths?"

They solemnly nodded. "That was why we couldn't go against him," Hongbin explained. "He had us well and truly bound."

"Even you?" Hakyeon directed it at Wonshik.

Wonshik shook his head. "Zeus's control over me is of a different type." He pointed to the throny crown on his head. "When he crowned me with this, he essentially kept his influence over me, so I am bound to assist him with everything. Even now, as a civil war rages in the Heavens, this urges me to go and side with my brother."

Hakyeon shook his head lightly. "But you don't?"

"Zeus needs to be humbled," Wonshik stated. "He has grown fat with pride over the last few centuries, perpetuated even more by his win over me a couple of years ago. He may be crafty, but his pride was always his weakness. He has angered Kratos, which is not a good sign." 

"So you'd go against your own brother?" Hakyeon asked in slight disbelief.

"It is necessary," Wonshik stated.

"So what do we do now?" Hakyeon asked. "Where is Taekwoon? How do we save him?"

"Taekwoon is on another plane, but still within the confines of this palace," Wonshik told him. "He is being used as a power source for Zeus, however, the power needed to fully power up an Olympian?" He left the question hanging in the air.

He will die.

Hakyeon's eyes widened. "So what are we doing here?" he asked. "We need to go and save him now!"

"First, I'll need your help," Wonshik said.

"With what?"

"With getting this crown off me."

Hakyeon frowned. "Why? The longer we leave Taekwoon, the more powerful Zeus gets, and the closer he gets to dying."

"I can cut off his connection to Zeus, as well as restore his powers," Wonshik said. "But I cannot do anything as long as Zeus has influence over me, in which case, I need this off."

"But how?" Hakyeon asked.

"You will help me there," Wonshik said.

Hakyeon seemed taken aback, to which Wonshik walked to him. 

"Cha Hakyeon, you took an oath with me, that in return for the pomegranate, you will offer your services to me the one time I need them," Wonshik reminded. "I call upon you now, Son of Zelos. Keep your word, and help me in my time of need."