Downward Spiral

The Son of Zelos

Hongbin walked into the cafe, his worried eyes scanning the place before landing on Sanghyuk, the latter working the cashier for today. 

Sanghyuk returned his eye contact before quickly billing the last customer in line. His duty done, he pulled away and ran out from behind the counter. From what Hongbin could see, the younger knew why he was there, and was equally worried.

"Know where he is?" he still asked.

Sanghyuk mournfully shook his head. "He didn't show up today."

"Then who opened up?" Hongbin wondered.

"Jaehwan did," Sanghyuk explained. "I lost my key and I was hoping to get a replacement from hyung, but I haven't seen him all day." He then paused for a moment. "Come to think of it, I haven't seen him all week!"

"Because you don't come in everyday," Hongbin said. "But even then, I'd agree. He's been coming less and less."

"You seem especially on edge," Sanghyuk observed.

"He didn't come back last night," Hongbin said. "I thought he'd just show up in the morning, but I can't find him anywhere."

Sanghyuk's generally happy face was marred with a worried frown. "I'm worried about him, hyung," the youngest admitted. "It's not like him."

"I agree," Hongbin murmured. "It's not like him at all."

"Do you know where he might be?" 

"I thought he might be here, but since he isn't, I have one other place I can look."

Sanghyuk nodded. "Please find him," he pleaded.

"I will."


When Hongbin finally tracked the elusive cafe owner down, it was at a children's park, an empty park at that, on the swings. The eldest was sitting on the swings, staring into the distance, his usual smile gone.

Hell, what was he thinking? Hakyeon hadn't smiled for a while now.

He carefully walked over, yet Hakyeon made no attempt to acknowledge him. Taking a deep breath, he sat himself down on the swing next to him, following his line of sight, only to be met with a tree, its leaves blowing in the light wind.

"What're you looking at?" he softly asked.

"Nothing," Hakyeon replied, his voice distant and emotionless.

Hongbin hummed in response, turning his head a bit to get a better look at him.

Hakyeon looked like he'd been thrown around in the gutter. His clothes were still neat, but he was troubled with an especially bad case of bed head, and his skin looked dull and lifeless. An unusual feat for someone who put so much importance on his personal well being (and didn't mind the cost on his wallet, considering how his dresser was littered with skincare products.)

His usually bright and youthful eyes were now dull and void. He looked like he was twenty years older. A faint stench of alcohol emanated from his being.

"You look like you haven't slept in days," Hongbin commented.

"I feel like I haven't slept in days," Hakyeon confirmed. 

"Been drinking?" Hongbin asked again, scrunching up his nose.

"Not much," Hakyeon said. "Just a bit," he confirmed.

"You didn't come home last night," Hongbin explained softly. "I was worried. So is Sanghyuk."

Hakyeon lowered his head, running a hand through his tangled hair. "I'm sorry for making you two worry," he apologized. 

"Mind telling me why?" Hongbin carefully suggested.

Hakyeon took a deep breath, sighing deeply. "I went to the restaurant, the restaurant where we met frequently," he admitted somberly. "I know I shouldn't have, but I just wanted to see her."

"What happened?" Hongbin urged.

"He was there, outside her building, to pick her up," Hakyeon simply said. "They...they..." His hands balled into fists, and Hongbin didn't miss the way they shook.

Hongbin let out a breath. "So you went off drinking for hours and didn't even go back to the cafe?" he asked. Hakyeon simply nodded, making the younger sigh. "I'm not against you doing what you're doing, you're an adult, but at least could you drop me a message before you run off gallivanting for a literal day and driving us out of our minds with worry?" 

"I'm sorry," Hakyeon pouted.

"What are you, five?" Hongbin asked, exasperated. "You're a grown man, so stop acting a pouty baby and get your together!" He then attempted to pull Hakyeon up which was hard, since Hakyeon seemingly weighed a lot more than he looked.

"I can't," Hakyeon somberly replied.

"Why not?" Hongbin asked.

"I...I've tried...but I can't..." Hakyeon admitted, putting his head down in defeat.

Hongbi narrowed his eyes. "What's going on?" he slowly asked.

"I...I can't control this," Hakyeon said, raising his eyes to meet Hongbin's. Hongbin's heart froze when he saw the look of helplessness and hurt in his friend's eyes. 

Oh God, he's telling the truth, he realized as his heart sank.

This was related to his powers. His powers that he used to make other people jealous were now working against him.

Those very same powers were taking control of Hakyeon, turning him toward a downward spiral of jealousy.