Prometheus

The Son of Zelos

Hakyeon came into his room to see Hongbin emerging from his bathroom. 

"What are you doing in my bathroom?" he questioned.

"The hot water's not working in mine," the younger informed. "I'm getting it fixed tomorrow, so can I use yours just for a night?" 

Hakyeon sighed. "Well, you've already used it..."

Hongbin seemed elated that his friend had let him off the hook. Hakyeon plopped himself down on his bed, reaching out for the book on his nightstand, when he saw Hongbin freeze at the sight of his reflection in the mirror.

Hongbin's smile immediately left his face as he let the towel around his neck drop to the ground. Slowly, his hand raised up to trace the deep gashes splayed across his abdomen.

"Hongbin..." Hakyeon began, but paused. 

Hongbin sighed. "D-don't worry, hyung," he assured. "They don't hurt. They're...just...reminders...from Zeus. Just to let me know not to get too comfortable, I guess."

Hakyeon stayed calm. "Have you been having nightmares again?" he calmly asked.

Hongbin sighed, placing a palm against the mirror and leaning. "They're not nightmares, more like visions, just to make sure I don't forget what I really am." 

"How much do you remember?" Hakyeon questioned.

"Now, everything," Hongbin somberly said. "I remember every detail. I remember being chained up to a rock, being picked and eaten alive by the scavengers, starving, thirsty, yet unable to die. I remember watching the days turn to nights, and not being able to move."

Hakyeon in a light breath. "I've said it before and I'll say it again, that was too harsh a punishment for what you did."

Hongbin let out a light laugh. "I stole fire from Olympus and brought it to man, hyung," he calmly said. "I committed the biggest insult against Zeus. I pissed him off to no end by disobeying a direct order. No wonder he literally threw me to the vultures."

Hakyeon furrowed his brows, obviously not one hundred percent on board with the younger's acceptance of his punishment. However, he decided to keep silent and return to his book. He had faith his friend would come to him when he needed help, and he wouldn't pry any sooner. It simply wasn't his place.

Hongbin lifted his eyes to his own reflection in the mirror. He considered his Korean features, dark hair, clean-shaven face, set jaw and large eyes. However, all he could see was an old, bearded Greek man, with sagging skin and helplessness in his eyes.

It had been 24 years since he'd been born as Lee Hongbin.

However, in his heart, he would always be Prometheus.


 "So, Taekwoon..." 

Taekwoon placed another morsel of the rice in his mouth, chewing as he lifted his eyes to meet his father's. "Yes, Father?" 

He'd been called over for dinner by his mother after a long day of work, which he found hard to ignore since it had been an entire month since he'd seen them, and he honestly was not in the mood to cook for himself. And yeah, he had expected a specific topic to come up during the course of the meal.

"You've been doing pretty well for yourself," his father told him. "I must say, I am definitely impressed by your professional progress in the last few years." He gestured to the younger's dress, currently a white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, a black tie and black slacks. His suit jacket lay folded on the armchair.

His mother nodded. "I mean, an apartment and a car at only 27 years of age?" she chimed in. "All my friends say that you're a diamond in the rough, Taekwoon-ah. You have the potential to become one of the pillars of our country!"

Taekwoon raised an eyebrow. "What are you getting at, Mother?"

"Son," his father said, taking a deep breath, "your mother and I want you to get married."

Whelp, there it is!

Taekwoon placed his chopsticks on the bowl respectfully. "I'm sorry, but I do not wish to get married," he clearly told his parents. "My work takes up too much of my time. I don't think I can invest enough time in a relationship. If I did get married, I could very well end up neglecting her, and you know how well those kinds of things go."

"Hear us out, Woon-ah," his mother appealed. "We just want you to be well-settled in life."

"Like I said, my work is my priority," Taekwoon repeated himself. "If I do get married, I may not have time for my wife. This could lead to a whole host of problems for everyone involved." 

His father considered. "The boy does have a point," he told his partner. "These days girls are more demanding and more assertive. They may take offense to him spending so much time on work."

"Thank you," Taekwoon nodded to his father.

"But then again," those words sent chills to Taekwoon's stomach, making him freeze. he thought he was on his side! "A man must learn to properly balance work and life. Building your entire identity around something as volatile as work is not healthy for you. You must learn to spend time with loved ones."

"I can always get a cat," Taekwoon suggested.

"Stop joking around, Taekwoon," his father sternly told him. "This is a very serious matter."

"I'm aware of the seriousness," Taekwoon said. "But I stand by my statement. I don't wish to get married."

"Woon-ah, to tell you the truth, your father and I are worried," his mother interjected. "You've buried yourself in your work, and even though you're doing great things, we worry that it consumes you. You haven't had a girlfriend since college, and every girl you've dated since has said that you're too focused on other things and can't disconnect from the corporate life."

"Then that's just the way I am," Taekwoon said. 

His parents exchanged looks before turning back to him. "Alright, we won't pressure you anymore," his mother said, defeated.

"Thank you," Taekwoon sighed, glad to have this conversation out of the way. 

His father checked his watch. "It's pretty late," he commented. "Perhaps you should stay the night. You must be tired."

Taekwoon, his eyes feeling heavy, nodded. "I think I'll do that."


"Yes, you can get the documents prepared. I'll look over it first thing in the morning." Saying so, he put the phone down.

Even though he'd retired to his old bedroom for the night, he'd found himself unable to sleep. Not to mention a sudden call he needed to take.

Guess you really weren't off work in this day and age...

Standing in the balcony attached to his room, he felt the cool night air on his skin, hoping it would make him drowsy again. It didn't.

With all responsibilities put off for the next day, Taekwoon's overactive mind began to wander, specifically to the conversation at dinner.

He'd been avoiding the marriage topic for two years now, diverting the conversation whenever his parents asked him whether anything was new in his love life. But now...he did need to consider what they had to say.

He was 27 and rising in his career. He was flying to countries abroad and getting exposed to cultures the world over. He owned an apartment and a car of his own and a growing savings account. He'd used his money to sponsor a trip for his parents to Singapore earlier this year for their wedding anniversary.

But maybe his mother was right. Perhaps his work was consuming him.

To be fair, it wasn't like all he did was work. He did take care of himself. He ran in the mornings, he walked his neighbor's husky (well, before they moved), he visited the gym a few times a week, he watched his weight, he ate the right stuff. He wasn't bad, if he did say so himself. 

And yet, perhaps he was neglecting the other aspect of his being.

Maybe his mother was right. Perhaps he needed someone who could act as his anchor, his escape from the corporate life into a mundane lovey-dovey life. 

Perhaps he should ask Hakyeon about it...

"You're still awake?"

He turned to see his mother coming up to him. "I couldn't sleep," he told her.

"You seem to be deep in thought," she said. "What are you thinking?"

He exhaled, his breath coming out in a puff of fog in the cool winter night. "I was thinking that maybe...you guys had a point." 

"About?"

"Maybe it is time I think about getting married, or at the least, pursuing a bit of romantic interest."

She laughed lightly, startling him. "Oh, Taekwoon-ah, you have no idea how many women would immediately line up at your door if they came to know you were available."

"Seriously?" Taekwoon cocked his eyebrow.

She nodded. "So why the sudden change in mind?" she wondered. "You were pretty stubborn about not getting married at dinner."

"I had time to think."

She sighed, leaning against the railing beside him, looking over the other small houses on their street. "You know, I was around your age when I had you," she softly told him.

He hummed in response. "Not only was I too old to marry, well back in those times, I'd also just attracted Kratos, a Greek God of all people. So there I was, alone, ostracized, pregnant and afraid. And then I met your father," she continued. "Even though he had so many prospects, so many younger and more beautiful women vying for him, he chose me, even though I was above the agreeable age and also pregnant with the child of a Greek God."

She turned to him. "I just want that for you," she told him. "I want you to have that someone who accepts you entirely for what you are, who becomes your support, your anchor, if you will."

"Did you ever regret it?" he asked. 

"Huh?"

"Did you ever regret marrying Father? Did you ever want to be like Auntie, raise me like she raised Hakyeon?" he inquired.

His mother smiled, shaking her head. "Not once," she firmly said. "You can't compare me with my sister, neither can I compare you to your cousin. They're free spirits, can't be tied up by the world. Us? We're different."

She placed her hand on his cheek, turning his face to hers. "I never regretted marrying your father even once all these years. I love him with all my heart, a firm, strong love, unlike the passing infatuation and a night of passion I had with Kratos. It's stronger, and lasts longer."

He stayed silent. "Believe it or not, there's a woman out there just like that waiting for you," his mother softly told him.

He took a deep breath. 

"I won't ask for much," she promised. "Just meet some girls, go on a couple of dates, see whether you want to take this further. You have all the time in the world, so even if you want to date her for a few years and then decide, it's fine with us. But your father and I just want to see you happy in all aspects of your life."

He nodded. Patting his cheek and wishing him goodnight, she left. 

Turning back and leaning against the railing, Jung Taekwoon once again found himself alone with his thoughts.