01 - Our Own Lives

When We Meet Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"OUR OWN LIVES"

 

Irene is 26 years old, turning 27 years old this year. Time has passed really quickly for this introverted lady who worked her bottom off through her years after graduation from Hongik University to earn a living for her family as well as to achieve her ultimate dream - to create her own fashion label. She finally succeeded after years of hard labour and she enjoyed her fruits of the labour through opening her own fashion label, known as "Kitscht".

Kitscht is a uni brand that Irene focused on including her own details into each individual pieces to create unique, funky, kitsch yet retro wearable daily fashion for the general community. It was a brand targetted to avid fashion enthusiasts in Korea and Irene had her pieces displayed in her showroom in Hongdae. Her clothes were also designed in-house from their office located inside the showroom at Hongdae.

Kitscht was opened up by Irene, with the company of her close friends, Seulgi and Jennie, whom both were her classmates from Hongik University. The three of them were close like peanut butter and jelly, they were practically inseparable and they often hung out with each other in and out of school. After graduation, the girls stuck with each other as they worked at several similar fashion companies in Seoul, and they ended up gathering their funds and creating the label 'Kitscht'. It was their dreams that came true together. 

Under them was their workers and designers. Kitscht is a small and growing independent fashion label - consisting of only other 5 employees in total. The design team includes 3 of the employees and they are Wendy, Joy and Yeri. They were their juniors from Hongik university as well as in several fashion companies they worked for. The other 2 employees were in charge of marketing, financial accounting and other administrative stuff around Kitscht, and they are Jisoo and Rose. 

The girls were all worked up over their upcoming spring and summer collection for the fashion year 2018. They were set to release their collection in early march and they were left with a month to get everything up for the collection. They have spent countless of nights since last december working on the designs, fabrics and collection items that they even had to spent an all-nighter during christmas eve to get the proposal and sample order with the textile factory to be finalised and completed. 

Jennie and Seulgi shared rooms with Irene whereas the other employees were housed outside in the general working area. It was a tiny cozy office that the girls all enjoyed staying in despite the stress and building tension in their work occasionally.

"Unnie.." Jennie called Irene. "The samples were all finalised already. It's already outside." Jennie said.

Irene nodded her head while her eyes were glued on the computer. "Seulgi-ah, how's the preparations for the lookbook?" Irene asked.

Seulgi sighed. "I haven't started planning on the shoot and lookbooks yet. I'm still working on the graphics." Seulgi said.

"Okay then, you carry on with that. I'll handle the shooting and models." Irene said.

"Do you want to gather the crew to plan on the whole concept of the season for the shooting?" Jennie asked.

Irene shook her head. "It's ok. We've already decided on the 18S/S concept. I'll just go ahead to select the models and plan the shooting dates and venues. The other crew already have enough work piled up on their desks. I can do this much for you all." Irene explained.

Jennie smiled. "You're so nice, unnie. I could never be like you." Jennie said. "Oh- and by the way, I've sent you the models list that the agency sent me. Apparently these are the only available ones. You should have a look." Jennie said. 

Irene nodded her head. "I'll look at that tomorrow or whenever I'm done with this." Irene said.

"Okay~ Don't rush yourself unnie." Jennie said while she munched on her energy bar.

 

Meanwhile on another side of Hongdae, a young man was at the streets, overlooking the movers moving up the furniture to his apartment in level 3 of a newly built building in Hongdae. It was a tiny apartment for him but all he needed was a space for himself in this big city, and he liked Hongdae a lot. Hongdae brought back many fond memories to him, to which many were precious and have left a mark in his heart.

It was a place he was emotionally attached to. Hongdae hasn't changed much at all after these years, despite the new flashy flagship stores and big cafes opening up in recent years, the charms of Hongdae was still there and the spirit of arts and the interactive youth has still remained in Hongdae. Taehyung looked up and around him, overseeing the buildings and buildings of boutiques, cafes and karaokes, bars and the crowd of young girls and boys - it was the same Hongdae in the end. It felt great for Taehyung to be back here.

"We're done moving up the furniture, sir." The man said as Taehyung passed him the fees in cash.

The man thanked him eagerly before they moved off with their truck.

With hands in his pocket, Taehyung looked around again to take a deep breath of the fresh winter air. It feels great to be back at home. Taehyung walked up and entered his apartment, overseeing the buzzling streets and roads of the main road connecting to Hongik University where he studied music for 3 years and graduated and got scouted to be a model from a modeling agency.

He had no jobs scheduled for him at the moment. It was almost like his vacation period before the busy auditioning and preparations for the Seoul Fashion Week for the F/W 2018 collections in the spring. His friends were all gathered in his apartment, chilling out with their mobile phones and playing the latest hyped mobile games eagerly. They were cursing and swearing, getting all overly attached with their mobile games - which was something Taehyung couldn't understand. 

He does not like mobile phone games, he was picky with his game choices as he only liked playing games from TV consoles like the playstation or from the computer. He liked specific games too - he hated violent and cliche games like defend your empire or state, he liked strategic, story-based games for example Zelda or Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy - which was his go-to game whenever a new version was released. 

"Yah, sit properly." Taehyung said as he pointed to Jungkook who lied on his new black cow-leather skin sofa. 

Jungkook laughed as he smacked Taehyung's playfully to which Taehyung slapped his back.

"This place is nice!" Jimin commented.

Jin nodded his head. "I know right, now we know where to crash whenever we drink in Hongdae!" Jin chuckled as the other two guys clapped their hands and cheered in response.

Taehyung rolled his eyes at his friends. His friends surely know how to . Taehyung walked into his bedroom, it was a simple small room with a desk infront of the windows where it oversees the main hongik university road and the sunlight shone beautifully into his room. There was also a bed, a queen size bed, big enough for him to roll all over his bed when he sleeps messily - which is especially necessary when he drinks too much at night. Beside the bed was his dresser, which had way too many clothes to fit into that wardrobe. Being a model often meant he get sponsors from clothing brands and designers, however many of times he didn't really liked the clothes and often it ended up being a dead weight in his wardrobe.

Taehyung is selective in his fashion choices. He liked dress shirts, he liked slacks or cropped trousers. He liked things that made him look unique and fashionable without having to try so hard to fit in. It was often hard to find clothes that Taehyung would like in those big fast fashion retailers like Zara, H&M or Uniqlo. He wanted something different, outstanding and fashionable while being wearable at the same time. 

 

"Yah Kim Taehyung!" Jin called him out.

Taehyung went out and his friends were still at the couch, resting messily over his new couch which he paid a few hundreds for it. "Yah sit properly will you guys?" Taehyung said.

They abided by him. "Okay sir, you're the boss here." Jimin said as he laughed. "Yah, by the way, we're th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter