Monologue II

Leave Out All The Rest

I talked with Bucky about Peter. I wasn’t sure he could be a spy sent from Tony. I just thought that was the destiny that put Peter on my path but until the day I went to his home, I didn’t know why.

I found him at his room, his body was bruised and I catch to see a few of wounds, too. I wanted to know why a kid like him was injured like that, so I asked him. He didn’t feel my presence so he jolted when he heard my voice. 

“It’s from work. You know, when you’re a superhero, you-- you-- you have this kind of punches and stuff…”

Everyone could feel his nervousness. I know he was lying to me. He doesn’t look right into your eyes when he isn’t telling you the truth, I told him so. 

“It’s a lie” He finally said in a whisper. “The internship… is a lie… It was real by first, but… things happened… and I couldn’t say no.”

I swallowed hard. 

The words that Peter said to me weren’t even in the worst nightmare I could imagine.

“I’m the of Tony Stark.” He said to me. His body was shaking, his hands closed in impotence, his eyes trying to not recall all the awfulthings that Tony made him maybe. 

How he could do some ty thing with such a sweet boy like Peter? How did he dare…?

I wanted to go to Stark industries, to the Avengers facilities, wherever Tony was it didn’t matter if I had to put myself in danger. I couldn’t but to hug Peter. He was crying, he was really broken from the inside. I wanted to care about him, I didn’t know why. Or maybe I knew but I didn’t realize yet. That moment I just wanted to hug him. 

I stayed at his house until Peter fallen asleep. I would only leave when I was sure that he would be okay. But… should I? I mean… I really wanted to leave him?

I was already at home when I heard the phone ringing behind my apartment’s door. 

“Bucky.” I said when I answered the phone. 

How did you know it?

“Well… You’re the only one who calls me…”

Oh, you’re right. So, how was the meeting with the enemy?

Yes. Bucky knew that I went to see Peter. 

He knew everything.

“It was worst that we even though, Buck.” I said sat down on the coach and sighing.

What’s wrong?” I went blank. How should I say it to him? To tell someone something like that seemed quite hard for Peter. Then how I even dare to tell someone else about it? “Steve?

“I… I don’t know if I’m the right person to tell you…”

Ok… Now I’m not getting you…

“I’m sorry, Bucky. Really. I just… can’t tell you what’s going on there…”

But he isn’t a spy…

“No.”

And you can to manage it…

“Yes.”

Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

Okay… Call me if you need my help.”

“Yeah.”

How could I tell Bucky about the feelings that Peter wake up in me? 

A feeling that maybe and just maybe I had felt just with Peggy…?

 

The rain started to pour. When I realized I was keep looking at it, it was almost the four in the morning and all I was doing was to think about Peter. To think what a man like me could do to protect that kind boy from the cruel treat that Tony gave him.

I was still feeling his shaking being wrapped by me, his tears becoming my clothes wet and his arms trying to met behind on my back. I could even sniff his scent in my nose. 

That kid was driving me mad… Madly in love perhaps. 

 

I was downstairs and I leaded to the grocery. His owner recognized my steps and smiled to me. I smiled him back even when he can’t see it. 

“Welcome.”

“Hello. Thanks.”

“We have brand new sandwiches. If you want to give it a try.”

“New chef?”

“Yeah. My daughter is in town, so she will help me out with the grocery.”

“That’s amazing. I’m glad to hear that.”

“Thanks. May I ask you something?”

“Uhm… Yes… What’s wrong?”

“Is it something bothering you?”

“I’m starting to think you have a sixth or seventh sense…” I said with a smile on my face.

“I could figure it out because of your voice. You sound down…”

“Yes. Maybe. A lot of things are happening right now and I don’t know what to do.”

“I hope isn’t something relatable with the Sokovia Accords.”

I surprised because of his words. He always knew that I was… well… who I am. 

“No, it isn’t something relatable with it.”

“I’m glad to hear that. Well… Whatever the problem is, I’m sure Captain America could solve it.”

“Yeah, I hope so…”

 

I must say his words helped to calm myself down. I was about to give a proper and not so healthy early dinner when I heard the door’s ring. I though in just one person who could be there, but even when I wasn’t sure, I was feeling quite anxious. I took a deep breath and opened the door. 

And yes, it was Peter, and I smiled because of that.

His mind seemed to be somewhere else but here. I knew it was because what he told me last night but I didn’t wanted to bothering him with to talk about that kind of experience again. Instead of that, I wanted to spend some time with him and maybe trying to figure out what I was exactly feeling for him. 

Both of us realized that he was trusting in almost an unknown person –even when he knows me- probably more than a best friend. He didn’t know why. I think he just wanted to shout his secret out and I was in the right place in the right time when he did it. But when he was trying to give it a name to that what he was feeling I felt him to become closer to me. I froze. But when I woke up I find myself hugging him tightly. I didn’t want to let him go, no matter what he thinks, no matter what he says, no matter what his aunt says, no matter what people say. 

 

And then I realized how madly in love with him I was. 

 

When I woke up from my dream I was reading some messy lines on a messy paper at Peter’s room in the house of Barton. I suddenly felt a sting in my chest, perhaps in the middle of my heart. 

Mrs. Barton’s voice caught my attention, she told me I should to pick Peter up, so I did. 

I was grabbing this piece of paper and waiting for Peter so he could give me some explanation about it. 

I could spell each word in my mind even when I read it once. That time was enough for me to read it. 

He said “Hi” to me and I ask him about school. He said it was fine. He asked me about my work. I said it was okay. I was feeling like my heart was inside of my head. I swallow hard down and I finally asked what I wanted to ask him. It was hard for him to give me a proper answer and I didn’t know which one could be the right answer though. 

Surely the “It was for you” answer could be way better than the “It was for Tony” answer.

 

When I woke up from my dream, he was there again. His presence never left Barton’s residence. His presence never left Peter’s heart. I was a fool to think that I could even put a step inside of it. I never was more far than that. Tony was in the middle of us and I was the one who Peter wanted afar. 

Then, why I was doing everything for him? I risk everything because of him. I was fooling myself to believe in the words of this kid. 

But, what can I do if I’ve been falling in love with him and a part of my heart was already his?

 

“That letter… was for Tony.” He repeated just in case I didn’t hear him the first time. I couldn’t but to sighed heavily. I was accepting my fate I think. Once again, the Tony’s presence was between Peter and me, and I couldn’t do anything but to try to bear it.