Leave or live

Leave Out All The Rest

No, sir. There’s no movement in the house, sir.

At the other side of the line, Anthony hit his forehead.

“How could I be so stupid…?” He whispered.

Sir?

“I’m sending you some coordinates to your phone, go there right now and forget about the apartment, you hear me?”

Yes, sir.

After the brief conversation, Anthony ended the call.

“I assume that’s not because of work.” ia said while enter to the room.

“You know me.”

“What’s wrong?”

“They’re with Rogers.”

“Who?” She asked and sat down on one of the chairs in front of Anthony’s desk.

“May and Peter.”

“Haven’t you already talked with the kid, Tony?”

“Yes! I did! But… he just dumped on me…”

“And you can’t over it…”

“No, because he’s confused, Pepper. I know he is.”

“Isn’t that your ego interfering again?”

“Nope. It’s not.” He said and jumped up from his chair to reach to the door.

“Are you sure?”

“Very sure!” He shouted out leaving the office.

 

Anthony’s men reached to the coordinates that they received around a half of an hour later. They stepped on the hallway and waited to not have any witness. When no one where around they opened the door and entered to the apartment.

“Sir.” One of the men called Anthony from a device on his ear. “It’s clear. There’s anyone here.”

 

“It’s a long travel.” Steve warned them, hiding himself behind a cap and a pair of sunglasses. “I’m sure you will be more comfortable on a plane, but that’s quite risky.”

“It seems that you escape really often, Mr. Steve.” May said. The silent rules over them and May unsaid her. “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean it…”

“It’s okay, ma’am. I understand what you’re going through, but you’ll have all the answers you need when we arrive to our destiny.”

 

After two buses and a train in the middle, they arrived to a small town outside the city. All they could see was green grass and the yellow color of the corns’ fields.

“Where are we…?” Peter said, but the horn of an old truck caught their attention. His owner was next to the truck, he smiled and went towards them to hug Steve.

“Rogers!”

“Barton, thanks for the help.”

“No problem. Your friends are my friends as well.”

“We’ve… met before, right?” Clint said looking at Peter who with both hands tried to that man to shut his mouth.

“I don’t think so.” Steve said quickly. “Maybe if you were in Queens before…”

“Probably.” Ciint said understand what Peter meant it. “Well, let’s go home.”

May and Peter traveled on the back seats of the truck, and Steve right next to Clint.

“So, how are you doing?” Steve asked his former companion.

“I’m good. My family’s good, everything’s fine then. You?”

“I’m good, too. With some issues, but…”

“Yeah, we can talk about it later” Clint said reading the awkward atmosphere that was created.

Around fifteen minutes later, the truck stopped in front of a big white house. The kids that were playing around gathered around the truck when the engine was off. They rounded Clint for his attention. “Kids, wait a minute, wait a minute…” The man said before to have all their children literally hanging on his neck.

“Kids, leave daddy alone.” A woman that left the house because of her children screams showed off. “Hello.” She said looking at her guests.

“Hello, ma’am.” Steve said.

“Are you grown up?” The woman said.

“I don’t think so… Did I?” Steve asked Clint who have no idea what his wife was talking about.

“Ma’am, they’re Peter and May Parker.”

“Thanks for having us… I think…” May said.

“Thank you for having us.” Peter repeated.

“I think you have a long travel to get here.” Clint said.

“You can use our guests’ rooms. You have lucky that Clint had that last idea for restructure the house. I’m… sorry, I realize I didn’t present myself. My name is Laura, nice to meet you all.”

“Could we… take a nap?” Peter asked.

“Sure… Sure!” Laura said with a smile on her face. “Follow me.” The kid and his aunt follow the lead of the woman upstairs.

“So, what’s the plan?” Clint said.

“We must to be hidden here for a while.” Steve said sat down in front of the table in the kitchen. “At least until Tony find us…”

“Could you tell me what happened now between the two of you? Want you a beer?” He asked grabbing two bottles from the refrigerator.

“It’s complicated.” Steve sighed. “Yes, please.”

“Well, I have all day long to listen to you.”

 “We fell in love with the same person. That was what happened.”

“The kid.”

“Yes.” Steve said taking a sip of his beer.

“You two think in a very different way but you have something in common, though.”

“If you want to see it like that...”

“I could get a job for the woman, and I think there’s a house outside the town to take a look.”

“That would be great. Really.”

“Let’s go tomorrow. Now you should take a nap, too. You need to have all the strength you have to protect those two… if you’re going to fight against Stark again…”

“Tony wouldn’t suit up because of this…”

“Are you sure!? You took something from him!”

“Someone…” Steve corrected him.

“Ok. Someone.”

“He wouldn’t, Barton. I’m sure about it.”

“Whatever… By the way… The lady knows…? About the kid and you…” Clint asked in low voice pointing upstairs with his bottle.

“Yes and.. No.”

“And how you think she will going to take it?”

“One problem at the time, Hawkeye.” Steve said with a smile.

 

Laura was waiting next right the open door to their guests to take a look of the room.

“I hope you’re all right with this. Peter you are going to sleep in the room next to this.” She said.

“Thanks, Mr. Barton.”

“You can call me Laura, kid. All right! I leave you alone. I’ll wake you up by dinner.”

“Thanks.” May said. “So… What’s going on? And I want to know the truth.” She said once Laura left the room.

“It’s Tony. I can’t get vanish from him so easy.”

“What are we gonna do here? In a town that neither you nor me know.”

“I don’t know. This was Steve’s idea.”

“Do you believe in him?”

“Yes.” Peter looked up at his aunt straight to her eyes. She nodded.

“If you believe in him… I think I should do the same…”

 

ia put a step on Anthony’s office and all she found were everything out of its place, and his owner sat down in front of the window drinking whisky right from the bottle. The woman sighed and get closer to him.

“This is how are you going to live from now?”

“This is great. Want some?” He said giving her the bottle.

“No, thanks. In fact, you have to end this.”

“I did it already.”

“I mean… You have to search for that kid, Tony.” She told him and took the almost empty bottle in her hands. Anthony looked up at her. “He must to know the truth.”

“That doesn’t matter anymore, Pepper. I don’t know where he is.”

“Search for the beginning. Search for Rogers first.”

“I already did. There’s no one there.”

The blond woman sighed.

“How about his friends?”

Anthony looked at ia frowned but then an idea came up to his mind.

“You’re right…” He whispered before to stand up. “Call the boys, I’m going to take a shower.”

“Please, you stink.”

 

Peter heard Steve’s steps on the halfway. He left the room and met him in front of his door.

“Hi.”

“Hi…”

“Sleep troubles?”

“Yeah…”

“Mrs. Barton decided to let you both sleeping, so…”

“Ah, it’s okay. May was tired anyway.”

“Right…” Steve felt the kid wanted to tell something else, but he couldn’t. “Can we have a little talk?”

“Yes. Of course.”

Both of them get into Steve’s room. The taller sat down on the bed and take a look over Peter.

“Is there something wrong?” He asked.

“No. Not at all.” He sighed.

“Peter…”

“I don’t know.” He sighed. “It’s all happening so fast that I--”

“Come here.”

Peter sat down next to Steve and laid his head on the man’s shoulder. The kid closed his eyes to feel Steve’s caresses on one of his arms trying to calm him down.

“Do you feel regrets to come here?”

“No. That’s not what I meant. It just… I’m concerned because of May. She’s not telling me everything. I know there’s something hidden inside of her.”

“Of course she would be worried. Above all, I’m pretty sure she’s worried about you. Look, I’ve been talking with Barton, you have nothing to be worried.”

“Are you sure Tony won’t find us here?”

“If I have to be honest with you… I have that doubt as well… But meanwhile, what if we don’t think about it?” He said caressing Peter’s hair. “I want to you two to be happy… until the bad things happen. But if we can to go through those bad things, together, that would be way better, don’t you think?”

“I’m dead scared and you have just the right words to make me feel better.” The kid said trying to grab Steve’s hips with both arms. “That’s why I love you so much.”

“Just because of that?” The man opened his distance to take Peter’s face on his hands and kiss him gently on his lips making the kid to smile.

“No. I have a million of reasons to loving you.” Steve smiled and wrapped that kid with his arms. “I’m still thinking…”

“About, what?”

“About him…” Steve let Peter go to looking him into his eyes. “I mean… He lied to me… about the Accords, about everything… all this time.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean--” Peter realized that wouldn’t be a good idea to share with Steve that Anthony was actually in love with him. He couldn’t unsay what he had said, so he trying to change the course of the talk. “I actually would never be by his side. He threaded me with the suit and the excitement to fight against you. If he actually came to me and told me about the Sokovia Accords, I would be a fugitive of the justice as well, but I will never be uncovered. If I would be by his side instead that mean to have in two places or more at the same time… and I’m not Multiple Man.” Steve smiled because of the last sentence. “I couldn’t to put someone’s life above of another.”

“It wasn’t your fault, Peter.” Steve said. “It wasn’t your fault…”

Peter sighed.