Chapter 4: Red

Red

 

After that day, Ji Soo and Dowoon opened up a little more to each other. They exchanged numbers and would occasionally hang out. Ji Soo was easy to talk to, Dowoon felt. Dowoon was understanding this Ji Soo felt. They had a lot in common. They were both from Busan. They had attended Busan Arts College. They were both called “tomato” in their school because they turned red so easily. They often joked about it. But it was good to find another one like yourself.

Ji Soo also got close to the other boys. She knew Sungjin as they were both from Busan. After getting to know him, she liked him even more. He was like an older brother. Whenever she felt unsure about anything, he’d give her great advices and motivate her. Jae was also nice, but at times, she couldn’t understand his jokes. Maybe it was because he was from America. He liked to play around and kept it lively. Brian on the other hand was a bit serious. Whenever he would start writing, he would lose track of what is going on around him. Also, he liked to sleep a lot, or that’s what Ji Soo thought. She had often caught him dozing off on one of the chairs, while others would secretly take his pictures, to later. Wonpil and Ji Soo became good friends very fast. Wonpil liked to tease Dowoon a lot but he also cared for him equally. Amongst the three, he referred to himself as the eldest and the most experienced. He would generally come up with pranks. Also he’d tell Ji Soo and Dowoon about how things are done in Seoul (It wasn’t like he was a Seoulite, but this was his way of caring for them) Sometimes it felt like they were kindergarteners. Ji Soo was extremely grateful to have met them. They made her life interesting. She looked forward to spending time with them.

When the boys had gotten to know that Ji Soo was a Violin player, they were surprised. A happy surprize. She was often called to join their practice sessions when there were less customers. Although their music genres differed a bit, it was always nice to have an outside opinion.

“Ji Soo where are you?” Dowoon asked

He had called Ji Soo. They hadn’t met or talked in the past one week. He was starting to worry about her. In the café too, he only saw her briefly. She looked distressed.

“Hey Dowoon, I’m in the campus. What’s up?” Ji Soo

“How are you? Is everything okay?”Dowoon asked

“Yeah, everything is okay.” Ji Soo replied

Dowoon knew that something was up even though Ji Soo said otherwise.

“Where in the campus are you? I’m also here.” Dowoon said

“Don’t you have class?” Ji Soo asked

“Nope. I’m all done for the day.” Dowoon lied

“Okay, I’m in the practice room on second floor. Room number 209.” Ji Soo said

“Okay, I’m coming.” Dowoon said.

 

Ji Soo was glad that Dowoon had called. She was indeed freaking out and didn’t know what to do. She didn’t want to trouble anyone, so she didn’t say anything to anyone. But she desperately needed help, or just someone who’d just calm her down.

 

Dowoon ran to the practice room. When he entered, he saw Ji Soo practicing. Usually, she looked really happy while playing the violin but today she looked distressed. He stood at the door for a while and then went in. Ji Soo stopped playing, and made some changes on her notes sheet and tried again. She didn’t see Dowoon come in, till he was standing in front of her.

 

“That sounds nice.” Dowoon said

“No it doesn’t.” Ji Soo said, with a lump in . When she saw Dowoon, she felt like breaking down.

Dowoon sensed this. He moved closer to her and took the violin from her hands.

“What happened?” Dowoon asked softly

“Nothing.” Ji Soo lied

“Look at me. Tell me.” Dowoon said

“I have a recital in two weeks and it’s not going well. My teacher did not like the piece that I had prepared in the last few months. So I have to start from scratch. And it’s just not working…” Ji Soo broke down. “I shouldn’t have pursued this. I’m not worth it. I have been working for so many days and I haven’t even completed a fourth of it. I don’t know what to do.”

Dowoon held Ji soo as she cried. It was better for her to let it all out.

“Who said you are not worth it pabo?” Dowoon said

“It’s just…” Ji Soo started

“It’s just that you are too awesome, that is why you want it to be perfect. Don’t be so hard on yourself. I’ll help you out. We still have time.” Dowoon said

“I have written a few things but it’s not good.” Ji Soo

“Let’s hear it first. Okay?”

“Okay.”

Ji Soo played. Dowoon listened intently.

“I told you it’s not good.” Ji Soo said

“I will be honest with you, it is not your best, but it’s not bad. I think this is because you are too sad to play.” Dowoon said

“I guess you are right. I just feel so demotivated. I don’t know.” Ji Soo said

“I know what we need. C’mon pack your things.” Dowoon said urgently

“Huh? Why?” Ji Soo asked

“You need to loosen up, and we need to find your inspiration. You cannot create good music if you feel so dejected. Pack up. We are going.” Dowoon

“Okay, but where are we going?” Ji Soo asked as she began gathering her things

“First of all to drop off your violin at your dorm and then somewhere. For once, you need to not think about it and just be free. I always see you with it. It is not a bad thing at all. It is just that sometimes, it is okay to take a break.” Dowoon said.

Convinced, Ji Soo left her violin at her dorm. It was true that she carried it with her almost everywhere.

“But where are we going?” Ji Soo asked

“To the subway station.” Dowoon said, amused with his answer.

“I mean what is our destination?” Ji Soo asked again

“Trust me. You are going to like it.” Dowoon said

 

After 50 minutes, they reached their destination.

 

“What are we doing at Lotte World Mall?” Ji Soo asked, confused

“Let’s go inside.” Dowoon said “When was the last time you went to an amusement park?” He asked

“What! Are we going to the amusement park?” Ji Soo asked excitedly

“Yep. I haven’t been to one since middle school.” Dowoon said

“Same! It has been so long.” Ji Soo

“Thank god! I thought that you’d say that it is childish.” Dowoon said

“No it is not. And even if it is, I like childish.” Ji Soo said

 Dowoon and Ji Soo went on the Camelot Carrousel, Atlantis, Comet Express, Gyro Swing, Ghost House and a few more. Dowoon had boasted that he was not scared of Ghosts and could pass by the Ghost house very easily. Ji Soo claimed the same. It turns out that both were faking it, because as soon as they encountered the first ghost, they screamed their heads off. They broke into fits of laughter seeing each other all scared. After the rides they went to the food court.

Ji Soo felt so grateful to Dowoon for bringing her here. In a very long time, she had so much fun. She didn’t remember the last time she had laughed so heartily. Soon it was getting late. They went to the subway station to head back to their dorm. When they reached Hongik University, they decided to walk back to the dorm. The sun had begun to set. The sky turned shade of reddish-orange. Ji Soo looked around. Seoul looked so pretty. She hadn’t paid attention to the sunset before, but today she took her time to admire her surroundings. The red skies, the gentle breeze, his smile. Ji Soo felt really happy.

“Okay…umm…I guess I should go now.” Ji Soo said as they stood in front of her dorm.

“Yeah..” Dowoon said

There was an awkward silence. The day went by so fast.cBoth of them did not want to say goodbye.

“Thank you so much for today Dowoon.” Ji Soo said

“Ah, mention not. Now go and sleep. Get some rest” Dowoon said shyly

“You too. Bye.” Ji Soo said finally

She entered her room and lied down on her bed. She thought back to all that she had done today with a smile. Instinctively she picked up the violin and began to play. She didn’t put too much thought and just let her emotions guide her.  Within no time a beautiful melody was made. Ji Soo felt really happy. She got something to begin with.

 

Dowoon was right. What I needed was a break. I couldn’t play in sadness. What I really needed was joy!

 

Two weeks went by quickly. Ji Soo spent her time, writing and practicing, Dowoon often came over to help her. On the day before her recital, she was a bit nervous. Dowoon had assured her that he’d be there to cheer her on. Hearing this, she felt a little better.

On the day of the recital, she woke up to a message from Dowoon and rest of the members. They all sent their best wishes and told her that they’d be there for her. She felt relieved.

 

“Wonpil, did you get the bouquet?” Sungjin asked

The boys were heading to the auditorium.

“Isn’t that supposed to be Dowoon’s job?” Jae teased

“Hyung.” Dowoon whined “Let’s go or else we will be late.”

“Okay okay. Someone is getting impatient.” Brian teased

Dowoon pouted

 

They went to the auditorium. The show started shortly. Ji Soo was third to perform. When the second performance ended, Ji Soo took a deep breath and closed her eyes. A smile came on her lips.

She entered the stage confidently and began playing.

 

The world came to a standstill. The auditorium was filled with music, so intense that it shook everyone. Dowoon sat there motionless, immersed in the music. There was so much emotion in every note. He smiled. A memory came back to him. A beautiful memory. When the performance ended, everyone applauded. The boys stood up and cheered for their friend.

“Ji Soo would you like to tell us a about your performance. Are you satisfied with it?” the emcee asked

“The title of this is “Red”. I got the inspiration to write this when I was returning from somewhere with my friend. The sun was setting and it casted a very beautiful red glow to the sky. It just made me very happy.” Ji Soo said

“Ah! That is very nice. Thank you so much. Next up we have…” emcee continued

 

I think I did well, Jisoo thought. When I was going on the stage, my heart was beating so fast but as I started, it all just felt so right.

 

“Should we go to her?” Wonpil asked

“Shall we wait for it to end?” Jae asked

“Let’s text her.” Brian suggested

 

The boys met Ji Soo backstage. They gave her the bouquet. It was evident that they really enjoyed her performance because one after the other they were animatedly telling her of how they felt, except for Dowoon. He just said “Well done. You did well.”

Ji Soo felt a bit sad. She thought that maybe because everyone was around so he got shy and didn’t say anything. But this was sad. She expected him to say something. He had been with her throughout the whole process. He was the one who inspired her. He should have said something!

After some time the boys were told to go by one of the staff members as it was “Performers ONLY” zone. They said their goodbyes and went.

 

He did not even look back. What is wrong with him? Ji Soo thought to herself.

 

She did not hear from Dowoon for two days. At first she waited for him to call or text but he didn’t. The studio room was also empty. No one had visited it in two days as there was no sound of music at all.

 

This is so irritating! Ji Soo thought

She was back at the café. Her performance went well. Now she was back to her normal life. Today there were a few customers.

I mean if he has a problem then shouldn’t he talk it out then to be all quiet? What is this boy up to? Sometimes I can’t understand him. That day when I was sad, he made sure that I told him what was bothering me and today he’s just going off the radar! Not even a single call or text. Shall I ask the others? But how shall I? It would seem so childish. I guess I will just have to wait for him to show up.

Ji Soo huffed in anger. Her shift had ended. She was getting ready to go when she heard the wind chimes. A new customer. She did not want to talk to anyone, but work was work. She looked up to see a well-dressed man walk towards her. At first she did not recognize him.

“Two ice Americano please.” He said

She just stared at him. Dowoon. Looking all fine, he stood there in front of her, and placing the order, oh so smoothly as if nothing has happened.

So now he shows up. What’s up with this attire though? I mean I’m not complaining, he is looking good but what is going on here? Are the other boys coming in as well? Is he going to meet someone here? He ordered 2 ice Americano, right.

 

“Umm..2 Ice Americanos, please.” Dowoon said again

 

He has some serious skills to come here on a date of that is the case. Huh! Why do I even care? His life.

 

Amidst all these thoughts running in her mind, she forgot to give him the bill. As soon as she heard him say his order again, she went to make the coffee. After handing him his coffee, she realized that she had forgotten to give him the bill.

 

“Here is your bill.” Ji Soo said

Dowoon got some crumpled cash out his pocket and handed it to her. He took the coffee and sat at a seat near the window.

 

He knows how to look nice but he doesn’t know how to keep his money. This boy! Ji Soo thought as she straightened the bills. A yellow note caught her attention.

“I’ve been thinking for a long time as to how to say this. But there is no correct way, right? I like you. I always have. Will you go on a coffee date with me?”

 

I read the note again. No this was not a dream. I looked up to see him. As soon as our eyes met, he turned away. I could see his ears turn red. I knew very well that mine were too. I liked him. I liked him a lot! Somewhere down the lane I felt he felt the same, but we didn’t have the courage to say it. I dropped my bag at the counter and made my way to him.

 

I saw her come. My heart was beating fast. I wasn’t sure how she’d react. Maybe she just thinks of me as a normal friend. I had to tell her about my feelings.

 

“May I sit here?” Ji Soo asked politely

“Ah..yes.” Dowoon said

“Okay first thing is first, since I’m your girlfriend now, I need to know where you were these past two days.” Ji Soo said

“Okay.” Dowoon nodded. “WAIT. WHAT!!” Dowoon exclaimed.

“I like you too Dowoonie.” Ji Soo blushed.

“You do?” He asked wide eyed. He looked so cute. Ji Soo poked his cheeks and reassured him “Yes. I like you. I have liked you for quite some time.”

 

After talking for a while and explaining to her of his absence, they went out for a walk.

“Can I ask you something?” Ji Soo asked

“Of course. You don’t have to think twice. You can ask me anything.” Dowoon said

“Did you dress up today because you were going to confess?” Ji Soo asked

“Am I not looking okay? It wasn’t my idea. When I was leaving Jae hyung saw me and made me wear this. Ah I shouldn’t have listened to that hyung.” Dowoon said.

He is so adorable.

Ji Soo took a step closer and wrapped her hands around him.

“You always look good. Don’t worry. And I love you.” Ji Soo said

Dowoon hugged her back

“I love you too.”

 

Their cheeks turned a shade of red, not from embarrassment this time but from love. Outside the sun had set, casting a muted red glow to the sky, just like on that day when they had realised how they feel for each other. Red, like that song filled with all her emotions, all that she felt for him. That day at the recital, Dowoon was moved by her performance. He had heard parts of it before when she practiced but never the whole piece. Sitting there and watching her play, reminded him of the day they went to Lotte World and how when it was time to say bye, he just did not want to. Every minute flashed by and he realized once again, how much he really loved her. Red.