Chapter 1: The Problem

Red

Sungjin and Jaehyung were students in the College of Music in Yonsei University. They had met each other through a common friend. They had a lot of things in common, main being their love for guitar, singing, just music in general. Within no time they became good friends and started practicing together. After college they would get together and practice or just go to Hongdae to relax. One time, while they were in Hongdae, they saw a guy performing. It was a common thing for people to perform in Hongdae, after all it was the main area for fun and party. What caught their attention was that not only was this person singing so beautifully but that he was also playing the keyboard so well that it created a very nice effect all over. Jaehyung (Jae) was so impressed by him that he went and talked to him. Wonpil was very shy when Jae approached him. When he asked him to join Jae and Sungjin to have a jam session, he was more than happy. And that is how the three became friends. Yoon Dowoon was a sophomore in Yonsei University. He played the drums. They were his life. If there was anything that he loved or felt the most comfortable in then it was drums. The sticks hitting the drums and the sound resonating that spoke much better than he himself, gave him happiness. He was extremely shy and awkward. Making friends was a bit difficult for him. One day as we was heading back to his dorm, he overheard someone play something. The music attracted him. He followed it. The door was locked. Whoever was playing was very good. He stood outside the door, listening to the music and he wondered to himself how great would it be to have a background of drums with the melody. It would create magic. Suddenly the door opened. Dowoon froze. His face and his ears turned red. A boy came out who gave a very confused look to Dowoon who was standing so close to the door that he might have banged his head. Dowoon fumbled his pockets "Ah what time is it? Where is my phone?" He said in his thick Busan Satoori, to not make the situation any more awkward then it already was. But it was was all in vain.

“Excuse me, can you move? I need to go.” Said the boy

“Ah sorry.” Dowoon moved out of the way.

The boy went.

Aish! Dowoon felt so embarrassed. He quickly left before anyone else came. It took him a long time to calm down and for his ears to be back to normal.

After being in the college for a week, Dowoon had made a friend. Actually Sungjae was the one who had first taken the initiative. Out of curiosity, Sungjae had asked Dowoon to teach him Busan Satoori. As they were walking out of the cafeteria, Dowoon bumped into someone. He instantly apologized. He looked up to see three guys. One of them was the same one who had caught him snooping in their practice session. Dowoon turned red.

“It’s okay. Are you guys from Busan?” This guy asked

“I’m from Gyeongi sunbaenim. My friend here is from Busan. I was learning Sartoori from him.” Said Sungjae

Dowoon just nooded. He didn’t know what to do in a situation like this.

“Oh really. Hey I’m from Busan as well. I’m Sungjin.” He introduced himself.

Hearing the familiar tone, Dowoon eased a bit and introduced himself.

“So you are a drums major. Nice.” Sungjin said

“Are you any good?” Jae butted in. Sungjin looked at him. “How long have you been playing the drums?” Sungjin asked.

“I’ve played drums since I was 16.” Dowoon replied

“He’s really good.” Sungjae joined in.

“Dowoon can you play for us someday? We three get together and make music. It would be nice to have a drummer on the team.” Sungjin said

To be on their team! Dowoon had heard them play and they were really good. This was a very good idea. He agreed to it. Impressed by his skills, they decided to include him in the team. In the beginning Dowoon was very shy around everyone, especially Wonpil, because their first encounter hadn’t been all that great. With time he became comfortable. Jae had also included his friend Brian, who he had met via a common friend. He was a trainee at JYP Entertainment and a Buisness Administration student. Together these boys practiced and made music. They sometimes performed in Hondae.

“Dowoon-ah where are you?” Sungjin asked

“Hyung I’m still in the campus. Where shall we meet today?” Dowoon replied

“I’m also in the campus. Let’s meet in the cafeteria for now. I’ll call the others.” Sungjin said

“Okay hyung. See you.” Dowoon said and ended the call.

He gathered his stuff and headed towards the cafeteria. When he reached there, was greeted by 3 other guys, Jaehyung, Sungjin and Wonpil.

 

 

“Hello everyone. Where is Brian hyung?” Dowoon said

“He’s still in class. He won’t be joining us today. I’ll text him later.” Sungjin said

“We need to do something about our problem. We need a place to practice. It’s such a bummer that the studio got sold. It was such a nice place.” Jaehyung said

 

The boys would rent a studio from time to time, to practice. The owner was very nice and would let them practice longer of they needed. Recently it was sold to someone and now they no longer had a place to practice.

 

“We can practice in the college if the practice rooms are free.” Wonpil suggested.

“Hyung it is really difficult to get them. You have to sign up for them in advance if you want the good ones. The others that are always available will too small for us. We will not be able to set up the keyboard and drums there.” Said Dowoon

“This is seriously a big problem. We need a space to practice before the next busking. What shall we do?” said Wonpil

“Well we can’t just sit around. Let’s ask around and search on Naver. If nothing works out then I guess we’ll have to manage in the practice rooms here.” Sungjin said

“Hyung! Guys!!” Brian came running in the cafeteria. He almost bumped into someone.

“Hyung be careful. Why is he like this? I thought he was not going to come.” Said Wonpil

“Bro calm down.” Jaehyung said to Brian as he handed him a glass of water.

“I thought you weren’t going to come.” Said Sungjin

“Yeah I had class. But..”Brian panted

“Calm down first and then speak.” Jaehyung said

Brian took a few deep breaths. He took off his backpack and placed in on the table.

“Okay so I was in class and I was talking to a friend Jongdae about our situation. About how we now don’t have a place to practice because that studio was sold. So he said that he knew a hyung who had some places in Seoul. His family is quite rich. So my friend suggested that I talk to him. He wasn’t available so I texted him. So he just replied and said that he wanted to meet and talk in person.” Brian said

“That’s good. When do we meet him?” Sungjin asked

“Hyung you could have texted us this too. Why did you run?” Dowoon said concerned.

“Dowoon-ah he wants to meet at 6 today. It’s 4:30 now. We have to prepare. And also because I was excited. Finally there is a ray of hope. I’ve heard that Park Hyunshik hyung is very nice. He is my senior but I’ve never got a chance to talk to him. I just met him briefly, a couple of times with Jongdae.” Brian said

“Let’s create a good first impression.” Said Jaehyung

 

The boys went and met Park Hyunshik in a café, which they later got to know was his own. He listened to them and asked them to play something for him. He, too, was very interested in music. He was very impressed by their talent. He told them that there was a studio which was only occupied during the weekends, which they could use. So it was decided that the boys would practice in the studio from Monday till Thursday. Now they could get back to making more music.