Chapter 2: Lee Ji Soo

Red

Lee Ji Soo quickly packed her bag. She once again checked to make sure she had all her stuff. Then she picked up her Violin case and headed out her dorm. She usually left early, because she was still new to Seoul and often got lost. She put on her earphones and headed to her campus.

Lee Ji Soo was a sophomore in Yonsei University in the College of Music. Yonsei University is very reputed in South Korea. It is every student’s dream to get into it. The admission is tough. Ji Soo and her family were very surprised when she got the acceptance letter. She didn’t think that she’d make it. She considered herself quite average as compared to what people around her said. She was a student at Busan Arts College. Her teachers and seniors all adored her. She was often praised for her skills. She got very shy when they said good things about her. For the first time in her life she got out of Busan and came to Seoul. Everything was different here. The air was different. Her parents had come to drop her off on the first day even though she had insisted that she could go alone. She was thankful that they had come because in reality she was very scared. It has been a week since she moved in her dorm. She shares her room with a girl who is from Seoul. They had a bit of trouble understanding each other because Ji Soo has a thick Busan accent. Ji Soo is grateful that her roommate, Mina is so nice. She is teaching her the Seoul accent so that it becomes easier for Ji Soo.

The classes had started. Ji Soo was looking for a part time job to support herself. Seoul is quite expensive. She didn’t want to trouble her parents. As it is they were doing a lot for her. She had previously had a part time job in a café during her high school. She thought to look for a job along those lines.

Another week passed by and still no luck with job. Ji Soo thought maybe if she was a bit more confident, she’d have got it. The biggest problem though is her accent. No matter how hard she tries, satoori slips. It is going to take a very long time to get over it.  She walked past the shops in Hongdae. It was always bustling with life. It was the “It” spot for youngsters.

 

“Hiring part time workers”

Ji Soo stopped in front of the café and read the poster again.

“Eumak Café

Hiring part time workers.

Pre requsites:

  • You should have a work experience of at least six months.
  • Age should be more above 18.

 

Contact: XXXXXXXXXX”

 

 

I can give it a try. It looks nice. Plus this is close to my dorm. Ji Soo thought. She went in and inquired about the poster. Luckily the owner was present there so she gave the interview. She made sure that she didn’t speak in Satoori. The owner asked her about her education and was very surprised and happy that she was a music major. The interview went well and she got the job.

 

Ji Soo joined her job the next day. Nari, a fellow colleague told her all about the work. She explained her nicely and demonstrated how to take the order, make coffee and other things. Then she handed it to Ji Soo. She carefully monitored her. Ji Soo felt Nari’s gaze. Her face grew red, a common thing for her. Whenever she got nervous, her face turned red. She spilled a bit of coffee while pouring it.

 “I’m so sorry.” Ji Soo said

“It’s okay. Omo your face is all red. Calm down. Let me taste the coffee. Hmm. It’s good. Good Job!” Said Nari

Ji Soo took a deep breath. Thankfully she had got the job. The people here seemed nice too.

After taking a few orders, Nari, left Ji Soo to work on her own. Ji Soo was a fast learner. She did her job well.

A week passed by and Ji Soo had adjusted well to her new life. She would leave early for college. She liked to enjoy the quiet mornings of the ever busy Seoul. In college she worked hard. She loved playing the Violin. After college she would head to the café. She and Nari had become good friends. She got along with the others too except for Eun Bi. No matter how hard she tried, she could never get across her. She decided it was better if they just did their own thing.

On Tuesdays, she and Eun Bi had their shift together, and it was Tuesday today. Till now it had been a smooth sailing. They took turns to take the orders.

“Ah it’s them!” Eun Bi exclaimed

Ji Soo turned around to see who she was talking about. To boys came from the second floor.

“Ji Soo yah, if oppa comes, then I’ll take the order but if red ears come then you take. I seriously can’t understand him. Okay?” Eun Bi said

“Okay.” Ji Soo replied

But who is “red ears”? And how difficult could it be? She had come across many confused and indecisive customers before. With a little patience, she managed just fine.

“Ya ya! Red ears is coming. You take the order okay.” Eun Bi said and she went to the back.

“Okay.” Ji Soo said as she saw a tall boy approach her.

“Dowoon ah why don’t you go and order, I need to make a phone call.” Said Sungjin

“Okay hyung.” Dowoon said

Dowoon knew what the members wanted to drink. Ice Americano. When he had first come to Seoul, he got really flustered while ordering, but now he was better. Or so he thought. He pretty much knew everyone here, even if just by face, it was okay. He had made a fool out of himself once or twice in front of them but he was over it. The hyungs also made sure that he went and ordered so that he could be a bit more confident. Sometimes they would accompany him. As he walked up to the counter, he saw an unfamiliar face. The thought of screwing up, made his ears go red.

“I got this. 4 Ice Americanos. 4 Ice Americanos” Dowoon mumbled to himself.

 

“Hello. What would you like to order?” Ji Soo asked with a smile

 

She has such a pretty smile. Dowoon thought to himself. Snap out of it. I need to order.

 

“Ah…yes…3 americano.” Dowoon stammered.

“3 Americano.” Ji Soo said as she punched in the computer.

“Sorry, no…4 americano.” Dowoon said

 

Ah! I did it again. Why am I like this? I need to calm down. Why am I so confused? It was 4 americanos.

 

“Four Americanos?” Ji Soo asked.

Dowoon’s ears were deep red. Ji Soo now understood why he was called red ears. She changed the order to four but the computer froze. She tried to get it to work, but the screen wouldn’t budge. Her face turned red. She didn’t know what to do.

Dowoon saw the girl in front of her turn all red, when the computer broke down. She brushed away a strand of hair from her face and again tried to start the computer but it wouldn’t. She looked confused. Her face turning a deeper shade of red by every passing moment. It looks like she is new here.

“Sorry about that. I’ll call someone. Please wait.” Ji Soo said in her thick accent. Whenever she was flustered she’d do that. She couldn’t help herself. She went in the back to call Nari.

 

She is from Busan! Dowoon thought as he recognised the familiar accent.

 

A minute later Ji Soo returned with Nari. She restarted the computer and then she took the order once again. Ji Soo felt so embarrassed that she didn’t even look up at the boy. She simply handed him his coffee and he went away.

 

Dowoon took the coffee from her. He wanted to comfort her, and tell her that it was okay. She reminded him of how he was a year ago, when he first came to Seoul. He too hadn’t done a good job at ordering. He confused their order. Maybe next time, he’d order nicely and compliment her.