Chapter 3: The Note

Red

Whenever Dowoon was sent to order, he’d meet Ji Soo. With time they got comfortable. He no longer fumbled with his order and the computer did not cause any more trouble. Sometimes they would chat a bit. After quite some time Dowoon had mustered up the courage and asked her if she was from Busan. Ji Soo was surprised when he had asked that. When she got to know that he, too, was from Busan, she became relieved. He was the first one she had met. Later she got to know that Sungjin, Eun Bi’s “oppa” is also from Busan.

One day, when Dowoon and Wonpil had gone to order, Ji Soo was nowhere to be seen. He wondered where she was. As they were heading back upstairs, he saw her come in with a violin case. This piqued his interest. After that day he always saw the violin case. He hadn’t noticed it earlier, but it was always there leaning against the wall along with a blue Jansport bag. He wanted to ask her about it but could never bring himself to it.

 

 

“Jaehyung have you made the final list for the busking?” Sungjin asked

“Yeah it’s in here somewhere.” Said Jae as he rummaged through his bag.

“Hyung the busking is going to be on Saturday, right?” Wonpil asked

“Yes, this Saturday.” Sungjin replied “Where is Dowoon? Didn’t his class get over?”

“I’ll call him.” Wonpil said

 

 

, I’m going to be late today. Hyungs would be waiting. When will this lecture get over? As soon as the class ended, Dowoon packed his things quickly and dashed out of the room. As soon as he turned around the corner, he bumped into someone.

 

“Ouch.”

“Ah! I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Dowoon bowed

He looked up wide eyed.

“Oh, it’s you.” Ji Soo said

“Ji Soo…Oh Hi…I’m sorry….did you get hurt?” Dowoon said, his ears all red

“I’m okay.” Ji Soo said.

 

Am I also as red as him? Our faces betray us in moments like this. But what is he doing here?

 

“What are you doing here?” Ji Soo asked

 

Wait! Was that rude?

 

“Oh I study here. I’m majoring in drums.” Dowoon said proudly

“Drums? Wow that is great. And unexpected.” Ji Soo said

“Are you a Violin major?” Dowoon said pointing at the case

 

Finally I can ask this! Dowoon thought

“Oh, yes. I didn’t think of you as a drums person. Now that I think about it, it does make sense. You and your friends were always in the studio on the second floor. I always heard music coming from there.” Ji Soo said

“Yeah we are a band. We practice there. Actually we are having a busking in Hondae near Hongik University Street this Sunday at 7PM. If you are free then why don’t you come? You can see us perform.” Dowoon said shyly

“Okay. I’m free on Sunday. I’ll come.” Ji Soo said

 

Dowoon’s phone rang.

 

“Oh I have to go. The hyungs are calling me. See you on Sunday.” Dowoon said and ran away

 

“Ya! What took you so long?” Wonpil asked

“Hyung the class went for longer than expected.”Dowoon panted

“Calm down. You’re all red again.” Jae said

“Hyung I told one of my friend about the busking and invited her, is it okay? I know we weren’t supposed to say it now, but…” Dowoon said

“Yeah it’s okay. As it is we were going to announce tomorrow. One day doesn’t make a difference.” Sungjin said

“Her?!” Wonpil and Jae exclaimed

“What?” Sungjin asked

“He said her! Our baby Dowoon has a girlfriend now.” Jae teased

“Ah hyung! It’s nothing like that.” Dowoon pouted

“I said girl friend as in a female friend. What did you think? Looks like you have something else in mind boy.” Jae teased

“Who is she?” Wonpil asked

“Sungjin hyung do you remember Ji Soo from Eumak café? She is a violin major here.” Dowoon said

“Really? That is great!” Sungjin exclaimed

“Ah YOUR Ji Soo.” Wonpil said

“Your Ji Soo?” Jae asked

Dowoon hit Wonpil on the hand and then hid behind him.

“I mean they are both from Busan, that’s all. And he might have a crush on her.” Wonpil said and ran for his life.

Dowoon ran after his hyung.

It wasn’t like that. I did not have a crush on her. I just think that she was nice. And quite hardworking. And I felt were similar in some respect, not just being from same place, but something. I feel a bit at ease around her. do I like her? Do I really have a crush on her?

 

The boys adjusted their instruments and did the final check before starting the performance. Dowoon looked at his watch. 7:05 PM. He looked up and saw her. It looks like she just got here.

 

I thought I was going to be late. Hongdae was always very crowded but today it seemed more. I ran to the busking alley. There were groups of people dispersed all over. It took me 10 minutes to locate Dowoon. He smiled at me when I reached. People started filling in as they started.

The moment the drumsticks hit the drum, I saw a new Dowoon. A completely new side. He didn’t seem nervous at all. Rather he seemed so peaceful like how a person looks when they are doing something they love. As one by one the instruments joined in, the whole area lit up. Their voices blending in with the instruments creating a synergy whose warmth could be felt by everyone present there. Slowly the music changed from a soft rock ballad to modern rock. The audience was thoroughly thrilled to see them perform. These guys were indeed very talented.

 

The performance ended. Ji Soo thought of going up to them and praising them, but they were surrounded by so many fans. She waited for a while but then decided to say it later. But they did not have each other’s number. The only hope left was a chance encounter.

 

Dowoon looked around him. There were so many fans here. He got shy when someone asked for a photo. He searched for Ji Soo but couldn’t find her. She must have gone by now. He thought to himself. It was a bummer that he didn’t get a chance to talk to her. He hoped he’d see her on Monday, if not on the campus then at least in the cafe.

 

Ji Soo got to the café as soon as her classes ended. She hoped to see Dowoon today and tell him about their busking. All night yesterday all she could think about was their performance. You the feeling you get when you come across good music and it just fills your heart with so much happiness that is exactly what had happened yesterday. She got to see a new side of these boys that she had known for the past four months. Today it was surprisingly very quiet. There was no music coming in from the second floor. She felt a bit agitated, when she saw the time. It was way past their normal time. Maybe they weren’t going to come today, she thought. Well they did deserve a break. She sighed. Today there were less customers too. She took out her notes and began reassessing them. She had a recital coming up for which she was practicing something new.

 

“Excuse me. 4 iced Americanos please.” Said a deep voice.

 

Ji Soo looked up to see Dowoon smiling at her. She was surprised. She did not expect him to show up. She saw the other members, sitting at a table.

 

“Ah…yes…4 ice Americanos. Here is your bill.” Ji Soo stammered.

 

Taken by surprise by his sudden appearance, Ji Soo became her clumsy self, nearly spilling the coffee.

 

Ji Soo yah, why are you like this? Calm down, she thought to herself. Oh I needed to tell him about his concert. What do I do? I don’t think I’ll be able to say anything now, not when I look like a tomato. What shall I do?

Ji Soo took a stick note from her bag and wrote something down. She put it on one of the cups and handed Dowoon his coffee. Thankfully there was another customer in line and she didn’t have to face Dowoon. She felt really shy

 

I am pretty sure she was surprised to see me. The hyungs did not want to practice today. They wanted to take a day off. It took a lot of persuasion to bring them to the café. I had to lure them on the pretext of paying for today. I wanted to ask her about our performance, but couldn’t. I guess she was too embarrassed to meet me eye. She simply made the coffee and handed it to me. What took me by surprise was a yellow stick note on one of the cups. I read it. “You guys are very talented. Your performance was amazing! You made a new fan yesterday. Keep Up! Hope to see more of your performances. Hwaiting!”

 

Dowoon blushed as he read the note. He carefully put it in his jeans pocket and headed towards their table.

 

“Why didn’t you talk to her?” Wonpil asked

“After all isn’t that why you brought us here?” Brian said

Dowoon just smiled knowing that he got what he came here for.