Happiness

The Happiness Club (EDITING)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

For an old grumpy man who does nothing but nag all day, this is a pretty snug office. Yoona thought as she shifted her eyes from left to right admiring the principal’s newly remodeled office. Truth to be told, she wasn’t the type to appreciate what millennials now call minimalism. In fact, she prefered the sensitivity and warmth of traditional interior design, which are old-fashioned and familiar. But for the first time, Yoona was able to appreciate the unpretentious functionality and the simplified content of the new office.

“Im Yoona, are you even listening to me?” The beautiful brunette girl snapped out of her own little world as Principal Lee Sooman, with a stern look on his face, grimaced. Yoona could only swallow her pride along with a few profanities as she gave the reclusive timeworn man a toothed smile. “You need four new members by the end of the month or I’ll dissolve your club. Remember, this is the only chance you’ll get. School rules.” He said in a matter-of-factly way.

Yoona’s heart dropped. The Happiness Club had, for so long, housed a myriad of exceptional and enthusiastic members ranging from elite honor students aiming to enter one of the SKY universities to idol trainees who want to be known as hardworking-dol, kind-dol or whatever they call it nowadays. However, for the past three years, not one single student has joined the club.

Nonetheless it wasn’t a complete surprise to Im Yoona, the only surviving member the Happiness Club. With its core members graduating one by one, and with new ‘hip’ clubs like the Chorus Club and Kyungbock High’s Elite Cheering Club popping in left and right, her uncle’s beloved club was bound to take a downturn. Yoona expected it but she never imagined she would be forced to close it down.

The doe-eyed girl clamped her hands over her face and decided to take things in her stride. I’m the Happiness Club’s President and a proud niece to Kim Heechul. I won’t let anything bad happen to my beloved club! She resolved, taking a big step forward before sprinting to the Journalism Club’s room.

“Have this printed out for me before 5:00 P.M. sharp!” Yoona threw her flash drive before a twine-thin sculpted figure as she claspped her hands in desperation. She begged, “Please!” before bending for a ceremonious bow.

“Calm down, won’t you?” A pair of arched eyebrows hauled up as her eyelashes of velvet-black flickered uncontrollably. “I’ll get this done in a jiffy so just sit down and relax.”

“Hana! I’m in big trouble!” Yoona cried out, plumping herself to the couch in front of her friend’s table. “Principal Lee Sooman told me he’d shut down the Happiness club if I don’t find new members soon. You know that that club is very important to me, right? I don’t want anyone taking it away from me. Especially not that old sorry excuse of a principal.”

Hana looked at Yoona sympathetically before sitting herself beside the latter. She couldn’t help but feel sorry for her best friend. She knew how much the Happiness Club meant to Yoona and she has seen just how much dedication and hard work the latter has put into running the club. Seeing her fellow members graduate one by one and the club turn into nil must have been painful. “I know. And whatever happens, I’ll be here for you.”

Yoona puts on a meme-worthy pout and motioned Hana to baby her. The latter gave the former a knowing smile before saying, “Geez, come here.”

Don’t be so cocky, you ! Tears started dripping down Taeyeon’s cheeks as she made her way past the cobbled alleys. The sun was slowly setting, casting the sky into a beautiful blue-and-orange hue. She ripped through the front lawn of her house and remembered the painful images of what had happened earlier in school.

The Chorus Club members laughed mockingly as Taeyeon walked past them after practice was over. They were laughing over her lack of social status and the fact that she had no friends. Taeyeon, being the tough and holier-than-thou that she made herself out to be, rolled her eyes and scowled.

Taeyeon’s reaction did not sit well with Jun Soomin, the self-proclaimed leader of the bullies. Soomin signaled the rest of the girls to corner Taeyeon. They started pushing her back and forth, and then to the ground where she was ruthlessly stomped on and kicked. All she could do was curl down and endure the pain. She didn’t cry nor did she attempt to run away. If she did it would mean she had lost to them and she didn’t like that one bit. “Just because Miss Jung favors you a little, you suddenly think you’re better than us?!”

Taeyeon smirked, earning herself another round of beating. She willed herself to stand  up only to be grabbed by the neck and yanked downwards. She scowled. She swore she could see Soomin’s eyes pop out. “Yah! Kim Taeyeon, wake up. You’re just a nobody and we―we don’t need you here.”

With a minute of her strength, Taeyeon grabbed Soomin’s arms and tugged them down. She screamed until she could only hear the tortured phlegm in . “Fine! I’ll quit! Let’s see how you’ll fare in the Nationals.” She paused for a minute and heaved out a hefty sigh. “Go rot in hell!”

Taeyeon fished her bag from the ground and ran, darting past multiple corridors and on to the direction of the faculty room. It was a strange feeling, she discovered, being so excruciatingly pained but unable to stop moving. Her legs would give in soon but Taeyeon has had enough. She loved singing but if it was at the expense of her only chance at having a peaceful year in high school then she’d quit any day.

With just enough strength to open the door, her eyes landed on a familiar figure. “Miss Jung,” Taeyeon called out. Heels cluck as Miss Jung Seoyeon, the Chorus Club’s advisor, turned around. Her eyes widened as she peered at the bloody mess that was Kim Taeyeon. “I’ve decided to quit the Chorus Club.”

 “Wh-Why?” A stunned Miss Jung stammered as guilt swelled in while trying not to stare at her beaten up student’s face. Taeyeon could only answer, “All this time, thank you for your kindness.”, before leaving the room.

Stopping herself from going after Taeyeon, Miss Jung realized it would be too selfish of her to hold on to the former. Though it would have been for the sake of the Chorus Club, how could she? Taeyeon’s suffering was partly her fault. She lost her right as a teacher and a coach to Taeyeon a long time ago when she chose to turn a blind eye to the bullying that was happening inside her own club.

Miss Jung’s gaze followed Taeyeon until she could no longer see her. She let out a heavy sigh and her shoulders fell down. She just lost the most talented member of the Chorus Club―something she knew would happen eventually. But unlike how things turned out, she never expected this moment to come about so soon. That day, regret was the only companion Miss Jung had.

 “There you go!” Yoona felt satisfaction burning within her as she placed the handouts that Hana had printed for her unto the school’s bulletin board. She promised herself that she wouldn’t mess things up. She was about to save her Uncle’s club―this would be her defining moment― and nothing would stop her.

A big smile creeped in on Yoona’s face as she imagined herself happily being tossed up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter