2. Dear Friend

The Happiness Club (EDITING)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Yoona, breakfast is ready!” Birds chirped in unison as Miss Im’s loud and shrilling voice echoed all throughout the house. A delightful aroma of newly popped toasts and home brewed coffee enveloped the kitchen as she quickly removed her favorite Ryan-themed apron and hanged it by the fridge. She smiled in satisfaction, eyeing her perfectly made sunny-side ups beautifully plated with crispy sizzling rashers on the table before she headed out to the veranda. “Kyungsoo-ah, breakfast is ready!”

 “In a bit, mom.” He answered pruners in hand and gloves on as he carefully examined the array of herbs on his garden ranging from the tiny green leaves of the thyme to the dark green leaves and white central stripe growing on woody stems of the rosemary.

He leaned over and took on the sweet pungent smell of the sprawling Oregano, “Imagine all the dishes I can make with these babies. I can’t wait.”

“Im Kyungsoo, come here and eat your food before it gets cold.” Miss Im demanded in between gritted teeth as she went back inside the house. “And please wake your sister up for me.”

Kyungsoo answered, “Okay, mom.” before letting out a troubled sigh. He removed his gloves and, along with the pruners, placed them in the tool box. He dragged his feet inside the house, bidding goodbye to the herbs he had lovingly grown―something he took upon himself to do ever since he entered middle school―before heading up to the second floor.

“Noona, it’s time to wake up!” He declared, knocking profusely at his older sister’s door. Kyungsoo has been Yoona’s personal alarm clock ever since he could remember, and it was always such a chore for him every single morning. She has never been a morning person and he knew this the most.

He stopped midway as he realized the potential danger that awaited him whenever he pissed her off. He decided to change plans and slowly opened the door just enough to see if she has awaken.

“You’re going to be late. It’s Tuesday and you know what that means.” His voice trailed, making sure he wasn’t starting World War III with her. Yoona’s eyes burst wide open, every sense urging her to get out of bed as she saw the hands of the clock approaching 7:00 A.M.

Waking up on a Tuesday was no longer the pleasure it was for distressed Yoona. Her lids that were drooping and leaden with sleep have now been replaced with those afraid to take even a glimpse of the calendar hanged effortlessly on her door. “Four days to go.”

Im Yoona only has four days left to find new members for the Happiness Club before Principal Lee Sooman completely shuts the club down, and as much as she hated admitting it, things aren’t exactly going the way she had planned it to be. She can only hope today would be different and that somehow the encouraging and uplifting letters she had meticulously hand written all night long would help her attract new members.

She timidly slid into her chair as an enormous platter of food welcomed her. Attempting to keep herself sane, Yoona shook her head profusely before taking a sip of her coffee. “I’m definitely going to recruit new members today!”

“With that?” Kyungsoo said doubtfully, eyeing the insane amount of letters Yoona had neatly piled up on the coffee table inside the living room. “You aren’t going to give that to everyone in school, right?”

“As a matter of fact, yes I am.” Yoona answered, flashing a toothy smile at him before munching happily on her peanut butter and jelly toast.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he proceeded to question, “I thought you only give out candies every Tuesday? Isn’t that like the tradition for your club?” He fished out a spoonful of peanut butter from a jar and gobbled it down ravenously.

Yoona sent eerie daggers at her little brother who was now in cloud nine from peanut butter rush before giving him a whack in the head. She swiftly grabbed the jar from his hand and hid it on top of the cupboard where he can’t reach.

“No and Yes.” She answered, remembering her probing conversation with Taeyeon yesterday before continuing, “Kyungbock High has changed. It’s not the same school Uncle Heechul used to love...”

Yoona paused for a minute, chilling images―students being bullied, teachers turning a blind eye to it all, students vying for specs as well as the unspoken hierarchy amongst them―flashed through her mind. The school she treasured with all her heart has now turned into a sea of spite all, encompassing those within it and only now had she opened her eyes to the bitter truth.

“Anyway, the point of the Happiness Club is to give happiness to the school and that includes saying nice and encouraging things to the students. Plus, giving out candy will only promote unhealthy eating and, as the student body President, I can’t let that happen.”

“Okay, whatever floats your boat. Aren’t you going overboard with the letters though? Letters are so tacky.” Kyungsoo points out, “I’d be creeped out, TBH.”

“It’s not creepy, IMO, and I’m sure it’ll work out.” Yoona said, confidence surging through her whole body. “I’ll have students lining up to join the club in no time.”

“SMH. Well, good luck with that.”

The wind howled as the students arrived through the gates, hustling and bustling through the entrance of Kyungbock High School where optimistic and cheerful student body president Im Yoona awaited.

Wearing her most sincere smile, she straightened her back and gave herself an imaginary pat in the back as she started giving out the letters she had painstakingly written last night.

“Are you sure this is going to work, Yoona? Well, it is a Tuesday but still...” Hana questioned Yoona whilst handing out Happiness Club membership flyers to the students, concerned whether or not anyone would even want to read the letters knowing how worked up the students have been because of the upcoming midterm exams.

“Where did you get the time to write all of these?” Key asked with genuine curiosity. He stood there like the diva that he was with the letters piled right before him.

Yoona, hard at work, claspped her hands together and begged, “Just this once, you guys. Help me out, pretty please?”

Hana and Key looked at each other knowingly, sighing in unison before shrugging their shoulders. “Of course! This is just one of the many services we provide.”

One thing they both loved about Yoona was her sincere and earnest personality, and that was the kind of sentiment that they both wanted to hold on to for as long as they could. And as cliché as it may sound, as her best friends, they vowed to always stick by her through thick and thin.

“You guys are the best! I’ll treat you to something yummy later on.” Yoona declared, thanking the heavens for giving her friends who were always beside her even at her worst. Her blissed is cut off short, however, as nauseating chatter slowly arisen amongst the students. The busy bodies have now put themselves on halt with every fiber of their body fixated on one figure.

“Isn’t that Kim Taeyeon?”

“I heard she got into a fight with the Chorus Club members.”

“Quitting when the Nationals are coming up soon. I didn’t know she was that self-centered.”

“What a mess.”

Yoona automatically searched for the brown piercing eyes bursting of anger and solitude that she had come to know the day before. Her eyes didn’t disappoint her as she caught sight of Kim Taeyeon, still bruised and angry with the world, entering the gates, looking like she was about to pound on anyone who dared approach her.

As scary as Taeyeon looked, this did not stop Yoona from meeting her eyes. And like magnets, they locked on each other, none of the two wanting to bat away.

Taeyeon held Yoona’s gaze with an icy hostility. Their staring battle had become a contest of sorts and both felt like losing came with a price. Their b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter