3. My Voice

The Happiness Club (EDITING)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Is there in any way I can convince you to come back?” Taeyeon let out a heavy sigh as she carefully examined the desperate eyes of Miss Jung who was now at wit’s end trying to convince the former to rejoin the Chorus Club. The date for the preliminary stage of the National Choir Competition had just been announced, and knowing how tough the competition was, the 27 year-old teacher wanted no more than to have her team in top shape and that meant having the best voice in school on board. “We really need you on the team.”

Sneaking furtive looks from the door adjacent to Miss Jung’s table are gossip-ridden students piled one by one as they eavesdropped on the conversation. There were rumors spreading across the whole student body that Kim Taeyeon was quitting school. And for the desperate gossipmongers who didn’t want to miss out on a single detail of the latest news, what more was there left to do than to hear from the person at the center of it all herself?

This, however, did not sit well with Taeyeon who was now angered and irritated by the countless judging eyes and surreptitious whispers that she had been getting all day long. She glowered at her snooping schoolmates before signaling them to get lost. They squirmed frantically and ran back to their respective rooms but not before the P.E. teacher, Mr. Lee Donghae, gave them a serious nagging. “What are you all doing here?! First period already started. Get back to your classes now! Geez, kids these days just― Oh, Miss Jung! Aren’t you supposed to be in class right now? ”

“Mr. Lee,” Miss Jung exclaimed, “I-I had something to discuss with Taeyeon here. Will you give us a few more minutes?”

“Is that so? Okay.” He answered, tilting his head, as he digested the grim atmosphere that emanated from the student and teacher duo. He shrugged, realizing it wouldn’t be appropriate for him to cut on their conversation any more than he already has before heading to his table where a mountain of test papers that needs checking and grading sheets awaited.

“Please think about it, Taeyeon. You have carried the club to victory numerous times as the main vocal and no matter how much I think about it, you’re the only one who can breathe life into that song.” Miss Jung stated, grabbing the younger girl’s hands. She squeezed it, holding on to every miniscule of hope that the unyielding former member of the Chorus Club would say yes.

“I’ll think about.” Taeyeon finally halted her silence. She pursed her lips, shifting her gaze back and forth to Miss Jung and the unsuspecting Lee Donghae as she continued, “I have to go.”

Miss Jung watched closely as Taeyeon disappeared from her sight. She sighed in relief and at the same time, worry, as she plopped back to her chair. She knew very well–how much Taeyeon has suffered– and it was no secret that she had been keeping it all under wraps in fear that the members bullying Taeyeon, who were all personally handpicked among the hundreds of students who auditioned for the club, would get into trouble with the disciplinary board and be forced to quit. Miss Jung’s underlying ambition for the club came at the expense of Taeyeon’s happiness. She took advantage of the latter’s love for the Chorus Club as the only founding member left and all she could do was swallow the guilt that had been choking her.

“It’s already 9:30. He’s late.” Taeyeon mumbled, gazing through the swarm of busybodies as they make their way through Hangang Park. She shrugged her shoulders, deciding that she should just enjoy the scenic view of the Han River while she was waiting for her childhood friend, Byun Baekhyun, to arrive. She took in the fresh air and admired the river that had now glisten beautifully under the scorching rays of the sun. The wind blew gently as it choreographed a beautiful orchestra of waves like, for whatever reason, it knew how badly Taeyeon’s week had gone.

A tinge of bitterness and burden escaped Taeyeon’s lips as she recalled Miss Jung’s words of plea. Yes, she loved the Chorus Club more so than anyone could imagine. Singing was her life, and she loved doing it so much that she honestly thought of rejoining despite possibly getting bullied again. But she has had enough and Miss Jung knew it too. She was done being the default punching bag of her club mates. It took a while but Taeyeon finally realized that sometimes it was better to let go than to hold on to something that was only going to break her. She was broken enough.

"Mom said you're a bad influence on me." A mischievous looking boy appeared, wearing his newly bought school uniform with pride, as he sat himself beside an unamused Taeyeon. She glared at him for being late, and she was not about to give him leeway for making her wait a good old thirty minutes.

"Your mom is clearly overreacting." Taeyeon said, grabbing a bite of the popsicle that Baekhyun had been holding since he arrived. She savored the homey taste of the strawberry flavored ice cream before giving him a knowing look. "Really?! Strawberry flavored Melona?!"

Baekhyun laughed and nudged Taeyeon's shoulders. "Why not? We used to eat these whenever we skipped classes back in middle school remember? Or have you totally forgotten now that we don’t see each other as often?"

“Well, we’re not exactly kids anymore. We don’t do kid stuffs, Baekhyun.” She argued, crossing her hands over her chest. Baekhyun hungrily devoured what was left of his ice cream popsicle before flashing the easily peeved Taeyeon a toothed smile. He caught sight of two small fishing fleets; painted in blue and red stripes passing them in slow but steady pace, and chortled.

Taeyeon and Baekhyun were the best of friends. Like two peas in a pod, they were inseparable. The mere mention of their names made the streets of Bukchon shake. Not because of excitement but because of worry. You see, back when they were still kids, with their cute chubby cheeks, bouncy stride and foolish antics, Baekhyun and Taeyeon played numerous pranks on their neighbors on a daily basis. From stealing Grandma Choi’s cooling cookies on the windowsill to spreading powdered sugar all over the neighborhood, they’ve done it all. They were the annoying miniature humans you’d wish had never been born. And there wasn’t a day when they couldn’t serve justice, like what little Taeyeon would always say, to the disparaging adults of Bukchon Village.

He shifed his gaze to the blue sail that hung loosely to the deck of both fleets, remembering the crumpled boat origamis that he and Taeyeon used to make back in kindergarten. Baekhyun flashed a smile, remembering the unforgettable experiences he has shared with Taeyeon. To him, the best times of his life were spent skipping classes and doing nonsensical things with his childhood best friend. It might not be the same case for Taeyeon now but it will always be for him.

“So, why did you skip class?” Baekhyun questioned. “Did you get into a fight again? Or did you perhaps… miss me?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter