Son-In-Law

All In A Day's Work

 

!!Double Update (2/2)!!

The basis: Yang Yoo-Jin's (YG's daughter) crush on Donghyuk and how he's teased about it in some variety shows.

In which: June is very much not amused about the whole thing haha

 


 

 

Donghyuk is upset again and the cause, as usual, is Junhwe.

 

It was all fun and games, at least during the filming of a variety show iKON’s invited to participate in. Everyone did a good job and the hosts complimented them, assuring the group the episode will definitely be fun for the viewers.

 

Then they all got home, did their own thing, and went back to their own rooms. That’s when it started. Junhwe brought Donghyuk to his room to confront him. They argued and now Donghyuk is upset but so is Junhwe - but only because Donghyuk’s too stubborn to admit he’s in the wrong.

 

The confrontation is justifiable though. Junhwe has a completely legitimate reason behind it and he’d thought Donghyuk would understand.

 

“Stop playing along with the Yang Yoo-Jin and Son-In-law jokes.”

 

“Why? People find it amusing.”

 

“It’s not amusing to me.”

 

“...I don’t see the problem June.”

 

“The problem is you’re being insensitive and if you don’t stop playing along with that joke, we’re over.”

 

Of course, being “over” is just a dramatic exaggeration on Junhwe’s part. Of course, that just riles Donghyuk up even more. Lots of things were said and exchanged: insults, sarcastic comments, and even past issues that were long gone such as pairing fanservice and suspicious closeness with the other members. Junhwe can still see the final scenes in his head like a play-by-play footage of a boxing match: Donghyuk frowning and glaring at him. Donghyuk slapping his hand away when he tried to touch him. Donghyuk ending the argument with a cold “How childish” before exiting his room with a firm closing of the door.

 

That was last night. They hadn’t talked or even seen each other after that because Donghyuk conveniently had a “scheduled meeting” with producer Royaldive from morning till afternoon. And by the time Donghyuk came back, Junhwe already left for a separate night filming schedule with Hanbin.

 

Not that Junhwe plans to do the talking first. This time, Donghyuk should be the one to make the first step. There are limits to certain jokes and the ones about Yang Yoo-Jin and being sajangnim’s son-in-law should just burn and be thrown in the gutter somewhere for being overused. Once or twice is enough already and Donghyuk should have been aware. He’s very disappointed Donghyuk doesn’t see the problem.

 

“June-ya, I heard from Jinani-hyung.” Hanbin cuts in through his thoughts. The leader’s voice is loud enough to overlay Jerk being played in their van so Junhwe can’t pretend he didn’t hear.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Make up with Donghyukie already.”

 

He sighs. “I will if he apologizes first.”

 

“Aish…” Hanbin shakes his head and gives him a disbelieved look, as if he’s making sure he heard right.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing. Just… realized again that Donghyukie’s really amazing.”

 

Junhwe knows. He knows the implication in Hanbin’s words too. But what does the leader know about him and Donghyuk anyway?


 

--


 

It’s about 3:45 in the morning when they arrived home, and Junhwe is itching to take a shower instead of just dropping dead on his bed. The lower floor dorm isn’t as silent as the usual nights since he can hear the soft playing of Muramasa songs from Bobby’s room. On his way to grab a towel and a fresh change of clothes, he passes by Donghyuk’s room and unconsciously finds himself pausing in his steps. Soft light leaks from the small gap underneath the door, which means Donghyuk’s still awake.

 

Not that it’s important for Junhwe.

 

He shrugs and marches his way back to his room to retrieve the necessary items, getting out just as fast to approach the bathroom. He twists the doorknob but much to his displeasure, it’s locked.

 

Grunting to himself, he knocks two times on the door to make the other person aware that he’s waiting. Jinani’s voice rings out, asking who he is, so he tells the mat-hyung that he needs to take a shower pronto.

 

“I’m not getting out anytime soon.” Jinani answers, the pitter-pattering of water on tiled floors suddenly becoming faster and louder. “Just go to the other bathroom.”

 

Junhwe grunts again. He swears, the mat-hyung is doing it on purpose.

 

Cursing under his breath, he begrudgingly makes his way to Donghyuk’s room - where the so-called “other bathroom” is located.


 

--


 

Of course, Donghyuk is frowning when he opens the door.

 

“What?”

 

“Let me in.”

 

“No.”

 

“Can’t you see?” Junhwe makes an exaggerated move to swing his towel over his shoulder. “I need to use the bathroom. Jinani’s using the other one.”

 

Donghyuk narrows his eyes at him, suspicion obviously flashing in his face, before he finally pushes the door open for him to go in. Junhwe resists a smug comment about shared bathroom agreements from escaping his mouth.

 

He makes a beeline to his actual destination, ignoring the stare being thrown at his back. Taking his clothes off quickly, he grimaces at the slight smell of sweat coming off from them. When the bb cream’s completely taken off from his face, he gets in the shower and grabs the small bar soap from the dish stand.

 

He pauses at that. It’s Donghyuk’s soap. It has a light musky scent to it that fits the other male so well (and Junhwe likes). Normally he’d use it without any hesitance, thus having grabbed it out of reflex, but since they’re still fighting…

 

Putting the soap back, he grabs the Nivea shower gel that Donghyuk barely uses instead, trying to ignore a desire to whiff in a certain scent from a certain someone’s skin.


 

--


 

Donghyuk’s sitting at his thinking chair, busy on his phone, when Junhwe comes out of the shower. Junhwe stands for a moment, eyes glancing at the other male for a couple of seconds before he averts his gaze back to his clothes to ball them up.

 

There’s a sudden eerie and tensed silence that overcomes, so much so that he could hear the ticking of the wall clock in the room. A voice in Junhwe’s head starts scolding him to talk; to be the one to approach but he shoos it away quickly. He decided already didn’t he? He won’t be the one to apologize this time. Frowning, he turns and takes two steps towards the door.

 

“Wait.”

 

Junhwe stops. Oh? Is Donghyuk going to apologize now?

 

“Your hair’s still dripping wet. You’re seriously going to sleep with that?

 

He frowns deeper in disappointment and turns again to give the other male a narrowed gaze.

 

“What’s it to you?”

 

“We have a radio sched later.”

 

So he should dry up his hair properly if he doesn’t want to end up having a cold and a hoarse voice, is that it? Junhwe knows. He’ll be drying his hair in his own room.

 

“Again, what’s it to you?”

 

Donghyuk glares at him so he glares back. He waits for the other to retort, daring him to open his mouth by lifting his chin a bit. And then Donghyuk stands up from his chair, casually leaving his phone there and before Junhwe realizes it, he’s being pulled back to the bathroom by the arm.

 

“The hell you’re doing?”

 

“Making sure iKON’s main vocal won’t be embarrassing himself later.” Donghyuk mutters with a cold undertone. Junhwe opens his mouth to snark back but Donghyuk pushes him towards the covered toilet seat and makes him sit there.

 

“Stay still.”

 

Junhwe internally curses at himself because he does.

 

He maintains a scowl as Donghyuk grabs the towel on his shoulders to wipe his hair, working his way from his roots to the ends of each section. The hair dryer near the mirror is grabbed after that and Donghyuk starts combing and blow-drying his hair strands as if it’s his most important job.

 

In different circumstances, Junhwe would be enjoying this. He loves the way Donghyuk combs through his hair, whether by hand or by a brush, and their current positions would have enhanced the experience more. Donghyuk is directly in front of him, Junhwe’s long legs caging him in and he could easily snake his arms around his frame at any moment. Donghyuk would be giggling and Junhwe would be earning himself a kiss on his head.

 

Something in his chest constricts in ache.

 

Junhwe’s dangerously near to giving up so he tells himself to pay attention on other things, just so he wouldn’t be thinking of what-ifs. His eyes betray him because they choose to rest somewhere near Donghyuk’s neck, specifically at his collarbones, which is conveniently out in the open due to the oversized loose style of the shirt Donghyuk’s wearing.

 

Ah, . He wants to plant his lips there.

 

But they’re still fighting, he argues for one last time.

 

Then his nose picks up on that light musky scent that he loves on Donghyuk and Junhwe decides that he’s had enough. He misses Donghyuk, alright? And yeah, he’s stupid. Childish. Stubborn. And whatever adjective Donghyuk would want to add.

 

He knows and admits it now. So he lifts his hands, rests them on Donghyuk’s hips, and leans forward so he could press his lips on his boyfriend’s skin.

 

Donghyuk didn’t take it well, which Junhwe should have known.

 

He doesn’t say a word as he’s pushed away, back awkwardly meeting the cold porcelain of the toilet tank. Donghyuk had stepped back a few paces, face red and a hand on the place where he’d kissed. Then he dumps both the hair dryer and comb on the small dressing table, and leaves Junhwe there.

 

Junhwe takes a moment to sigh and gather his wits before following Donghyuk.


 

--


 

Since he has longer legs and arms, he catches Donghyuk before he could open the door (probably to escape to Bobby’s room). Donghyuk tries to shake off his grip on his hand but he holds on.

 

“Let go.”

 

“No.”

 

“Aish!” Donghyuk scowls at him. “You think you can just do stuff like that whenever you like? Do you think I’m easy?”

 

“No, it’s not that.”

 

“Then what?”

 

Last minute stubbornness causes Junhwe to purse his lips.

 

Donghyuk grunts in frustration then successfully pulls his hand out from his grip. He turns towards the door again and in a moment of panic, Junhwe shoots his arms out to grab the other back, making sure his arms are tight around Donghyuk’s frame. Donghyuk tenses up for a moment before he grunts in irritation.

 

“Koo Junhwe let me go!”

 

“No.”

 

“I swear if you don’t--

 

“I was wrong. I’m sorry. Please let me explain.”

 

And silence.

 

Junhwe waits patiently, not moving an inch even when Donghyuk stops squirming to get away. They stay like that for 5 long seconds more before Donghyuk lets go of his tensed posture. He gently tugs at Junhwe’s left arm.

 

“Fine.” Donghyuk sighs, tiredness in his voice. “I’ll hear you out.”

 

“...You won’t escape?”

 

Another sigh. “No. Let me go so we can properly have a conversation.”

 

Hesitantly, Junhwe pulls his arms back. Donghyuk turns around to face him, expression steely but less annoyed. He approaches the bed and Junhwe follows, mimicking Donghyuk as they both sit on the edge of the bed. The considerable distance between them is hateful but Junhwe won’t risk commenting on it.

 

“Start speaking.”

 

Junhwe stops himself from frowning at the harsh tone that’s used. Taking a breath, he does as he’s told.

 

“I admit I was jealous. I know it’s just a joke and it’s fun in the first time during Weekly Idol, but when they keep bringing it up in the next shows,” he pauses to glance at the other. “...and you keep on riding it like you love it so much, I can’t help but think that you actually want it to happen. I hate it.”

 

“Aigoo, Koo Junhwe…”

 

Donghyuk shakes his head. “You said it yourself. It’s just a joke that sells. How am I supposed to react? Frown and deny in front of the cameras?”

 

“No…” Junhwe looks down as he feels shame for the first time since their fight started. “But you can be less enthusiastic about it…”

 

There’s silence again. Junhwe laces and unlaces his fingers as he waits for Donghyuk to scold him more, bracing himself for cold, hard truths.

 

“What a childish, stubborn and selfish person.”

 

Exactly what he got. But the tone Donghyuk used is unexpectedly… warm.

 

He looks up in genuine surprise. Donghyuk has his legs crossed with an arm propped up so his chin is resting on his palm, face angled towards him. Donghyuk still doesn’t look amused, but the steely air around him is gone.

 

“So now that Bobby-hyung’s no longer an issue with you, you decided the little girl is someone you should be threatened of.”

 

It took Junhwe a little more than a moment to realize the whole statement is just a joke. Donghyuk snickers a bit and Junhwe resists the urge to frown.

 

“It’s really something you shouldn’t be fretting over June-ya. Yang Yoo-Jin is just a kid. I can’t believe you’re jealous over her.” Donghyuk shakes his head. “I thought you’re getting better with kids.”

 

“I am.” Junhwe makes sure a frown is seen on his face this time. Donghyuk seems to still not get his point. “It’s not Yang Yoo-jin that had me ‘fretting’ over.”

 

“Then what is?”

 

“It’s the son-in-law part.”

 

Donghyuk blinks, still not getting his exact point so Junhwe frowns more. It’s cute that Donghyuk can be slow like this, but.

 

“June?”

 

“You’re not going to be their son-in-law and I hate that you seem to really enjoy being called that.” A pause. “I know I’m being petty about it though so yeah, I’m sorry.”

 

“...Oh.” If he didn’t look down again, Junhwe would have seen Donghyuk being taken aback, reddish pink on his cheeks. “Okay.”

 

“Do you get it now?”

 

“I think. If I’m going to imagine myself as Koo Junhwe I’d definitely get where you’re coming from.”

 

Another quip. Junhwe prepares a scowl as he lifts his head, but drops it because Donghyuk is already smiling.

 

“So, whose family should I be the son-in-law of, then?”

 

‘Mine, through me’, Junhwe almost blurts.

 

Despite that, Junhwe’s answer is still obvious given the way his face flames up. Donghyuk laughs in response; eyes sparkling with mirth. Junhwe releases a breath as immense relief and adoration wash over him.

 

Taking his chance, he finally closes their distance to wrap an arm from behind around Donghyuk’s waist. Donghyuk smiles wider and Junhwe can’t help but to sigh in relief again. Geez, why the hell did he think the whole confrontation is a good idea anyway?

 

“I’m really sorry. Are we okay, now?”

 

“Yeah, we’re fine. I’m sorry too for making you feel like I really want to be sajangnim’s son-in-law.” Donghyuk leans his head on his shoulder. “I’m afraid the joke will still be used for awhile, but I’ll think of a different way to approach it.”

 

Guilt starts to creep even more in Junhwe. “You don’t have to…”

 

“Come on, after all the fuss?” his boyfriend playfully scoffs. “I’ll talk with Jinani-hyung about it. I’m sure he has a few ideas.”

 

Junhwe suddenly remembers Hanbin’s words in the van earlier.

 

“...Donghyukie's really amazing.”

 

Yeah, Junhwe knows and is reminded once again.

 

He pulls Donghyuk with him as he adjusts into a more comfortable position, making it so his back’s resting on the bed's headboard. He secures Donghyuk by wrapping both arms around his waist and caging him in between his long legs. Pressing his head on the crook of Donghyuk’s shoulder and neck, he breathes in Donghyuk’s scent.

 

“What did I do to deserve you?”

 

Donghyuk’s chuckle vibrates through his body. Junhwe lifts his head a bit to place a kiss on the exposed skin there.

 

“I love you.”

 

“I know. I love you too.” Donghyuk gently pats his head. “You should know that clearly, by now.”

 

So avoid getting hung up on things that shouldn’t be a problem - is what Donghyuk’s trying to say.

 

Well, Junhwe’s not sure about that. After all, it’s a part of his nature and will never completely go away no matter how much he changes. But Donghyuk knows that, accepts that, and is still with him, nonetheless.

 

He has the heavens to thank for that.

 

(And Yang Yoo-Jin for playing a big part in reminding him of how blessed he is.)

 

“B-babe, wait…”

 

Donghyuk grabs his forearm, stopping his hands from further caressing his skin underneath his shirt.

 

He feigns ignorance and plants another kiss, this time on Donghyuk's cheek. “Yeah?”

 

“Not now. Radio sched later, remember?”

 

“...we won't take long.”

 

“No.”

 

“Fine.” he huffs in disappointment and pulls his hands away, setting Donghyuk free. Donghyuk pecks his lips and gets out of his personal space to lie down on his right.

 

Junhwe sighs and lie down too. “I just miss you.”

 

“Me too, but let’s just sleep. Next time okay?”

 

He pouts defeatedly. Spooning Donghyuk, he takes in that light musky scent that he likes very much.

 

“When’s next time?”

 

There’s a helpless sigh.

 

“Aish. Koo Junhwe.”

 

.

.

.

 

 


 

I think I'll be posting only 1 more update before I mark this series as complete ^^. Return era's been done for ages now and that's really my only focus for this. I didn't expect iKON to comeback 3 more times (and for JunDong to sail even more lol).

Until then!