Radio DJ

All In A Day's Work

 

The basis: Donghyuk wanting to have his own radio show

In which a solo radio hosting gig does happen and Junhwe laments because... reasons. lol

 


 

 

Junhwe is bored.

 

Nothing interests him at the moment. His favorite poets haven’t updated anything in their blogs, he can’t find the right words for his work-in-progress poems, there’s no new Koo Junhwe compilation videos in YouTube, and the other members aren’t there to keep him entertained.

 

“No, that’s enough.”

 

Well, except for Yunhyeong. But he’s failing so far.

 

His hyung suddenly throws an arm across to him, successfully grabbing the hotbar packet he pulled out from the snacks container at the edge of the table.

 

“That’s the 8th one this whole day. Eating too much of that is bad for your health.” Yunhyeong declares as he puts it inside the pocket of his sweater. Junhwe grunts. Now he can’t even eat his favorite snack.

 

“Okay, mom.” he snarks back with a small frown and a roll of his eyes. Yunhyeong glares a bit.

 

“What are you even doing here June?”

 

“No one’s at our floor right now.” he pouts. “And I’m bored.”

 

“Hmm…”

 

The hyung tilts his head at him. Junhwe knows he’s wondering why he isn’t just sleeping if he has nothing to do. He tried sleeping alright? He even turned the lights off and locked his door for optimum privacy but he really can’t.

 

“Aha.” Yunhyeong suddenly straightens his head, an amused smirk on his face. “It’s that, isn’t it?”

 

Junhwe groans and slumps on the table; his left cheek flat on the wood.

 

Was he so obvious?

 

“That” is a viewable radio show at KBS, scheduled to be broadcasted a couple of hours from now - at 9 PM. Normally, he wouldn’t care about it if the whole group isn’t involved but this time, Donghyuk will be hosting the show by himself. It’s an accomplishment Donghyuk achieved after doing so well with Hanbin at Hongkira weeks back.

 

What does that have to do with his boredom, however? Well...

 

“You’re not really bored, are you?” Yunhyeong speaks after he refused to say anything. “You’re still upset.”

 

“...No.”

 

He is.

 

“Aigoo… let it go already, June-ya. I don’t really understand why you’re like this.”

 

“You don’t understand because you don’t have a boyfriend who practically shines and blooms when he’s doing something he loves, and you’re not there to share the moment with him.”

 

Junhwe hears an “Aish!”, the noise of a chair being slid out, before a light smack is landed on his head. Blowing air is the only thing he could manage to respond to that since he doesn’t feel sorry at all.

 

“You’re so dramatic!” he hears the chair being pulled again. “It’s not like you’re really losing on something. It’s just a radio show and Bobby and Katie-noona’s there with him too.”

 

See, this is why Yunhyeong-hyung won’t understand. The actual reasons why he’s upset are unimportant to other people. He’s not losing on something? False. It’s the very first radio show Donghyuk will be hosting by himself. Not being there to be a part of it or even witness it in person is already a loss. On top of that, their management didn’t open a guest spot to the other iKON members except for Bobby. Hell, he even pitched in the JunBob dynamic just so he could be there too but he was still shot down.

 

“Just… let me be.”

 

“There’s nothing we can really do about it, June-ya. Katie-noona needs the exposure and Bobby can help her with that.”

 

He rolls his eyes, lifts his head, and throws a frown at his fellow vocalist.

 

“I know that perfectly, hyung. Doesn’t mean I can’t sulk.”

 

“Well… you’re just hurting yourself doing that.”

 

“I know that too. Seriously, just let me be.” He slumps on the table again.

 

He hears his hyung sigh heavily. Then he’s poked by something on his head so he lifts his face again to see Yunhyeong offering the hotbar back; a sympathetic expression on his face.

 

“Alright, I’m sorry if you felt I was antagonizing you.” Yunhyeong gives him a soft smile. “Let’s just continue to endure okay, June-ya?”

 

Junhwe sighs too and accepts the hotbar. What choice does he have, anyway?

 

 

--

 

 

Donghyuk is not that welcoming of anyone (including him) hanging out in his room when he’s not present, but Junhwe still marches in there after he’s done with dinner and had taken a bath. Jinani warned him not to do so before going out to hang out with Chanwoo,  but Junhwe just ignored the hyung. If there’s a better place for him to sulk and wait aside from his own room, it’s Donghyuk’s.

 

He stands in the middle, hands on his hips while he decides whether laying on the bed is better than lounging on the accent chair. The oddity that is the wine bottle at the drip coffee corner makes the decision easier for Junhwe. He doesn’t want to accidentally spill liquid on Donghyuk’s sheets so the chair it is.

 

Grabbing the half-full wine bottle, he pours himself a glass and sips. He peeks at the wall clock, realizes he only has about 5 minutes to spare before the radio broadcast starts, so he practically dashes towards the chair and quickly opens a web streaming.

 

Of course, Donghyuk’s smile is the first thing he sees.

 

Donghyuk looks extra beautiful and it’s not only because of the make up and the styling. His excitement is obvious even though he tries to appear calm, and the way his eyes sparkle as he says his greeting is so adorable. Junhwe’s glad the comments under the stream agree.

 

“This is your DJ Donghyukie who will be with you from now on. Please take care of me.”

 

“Everyone surely will.” Junhwe answers as he sips wine again. Donghyuk did so well delivering that last introductory line. He’s proud already.

 

If only he’s there.

 

He groans to himself, muttering “stop it” under his breath. But the world seems to be in the mood to mess with him because Bobby-hyung and Katie-noona appears in the broadcast at that very moment, exchanging friendly hugs with Donghyuk and making him smile more and laugh.

 

The selfish part of him feels bitter and jealous.

 

Ignore them, he tells himself. Focus on who’s truly important. Focus on Donghyuk, and he does so. He’s fine for the first parts and he finds himself grinning and blurting out his own commentaries. Yet the more at ease Donghyuk becomes with Bobby-hyung (and Katie-noona), the feeling of losing out just increases. It’s getting very difficult to watch his boyfriend have so much fun so he places his phone on the coffee table with the screen down.

 

That’s no better, he soon finds out. As the animated conversations and the honey-like quality of Donghyuk’s voice fill up the quiet room, he stands up and gulps down the rest of wine in his glass before putting it down too. Bobby-hyung says a joke and makes Donghyuk laugh again so he marches towards the coffee table and grabs the wine bottle.

 

“ID iKONyeojachingu says: Bobby and Dongdong has great chemistry. It’s always fun with the two of them.”

 

“Ah, fans always say that.”

 

“It’s true though! I can talk anything and everything with Donggu-ya.”

 

“I surely see that. I even find it hard to join you two in your conversation.”

 

Donghyuk sheepishly chuckles at Katie’s joke-like statement. Then there’s an overlaying of his and Bobby’s apologies being spoken out at the same time, causing Katie to laugh and comment on their synergy. Her voice complements the male voices so well.

 

They sound so good - all three of them. It's as if they’re having the time of their lives. Good for Donghyuk.

 

Junhwe gulps down wine directly from the bottle.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

Donghyuk rubs his neck as he enters the dorm. Bobby yawns behind him, patting his back and muttering a sleepy “g’night” to him before dragging himself to his own room.

 

He pauses in his steps upon reaching the living room to stretch his arms. Even now, he can feel some of the energy and high from the radio show. His first, official radio show - he corrects. Gosh, he still feels so giddy. The success of the first broadcast makes him happy and it’s such a blessing when even the radio staff congratulated him and gave him lots of compliments.

 

And the perfect way to end the day would be to talk to Junhwe about it. His boyfriend would most certainly rain on his parade by telling him the true start will be when he has non-YG guests, but Junhwe will still congratulate him nonetheless. He can almost hear the tease-like compliments Junhwe will say: “Dongttopi’s voice is honey-like as usual”, “DJ Donyogu will hit daebak!”, so on and so forth. They would bicker a bit, for sure, but they’ll most certainly end up kissing once. Or twice. Maybe three times.

 

Heat warm up Donghyuk’s cheeks. Biting his lip to prevent a grin, he makes his way towards Junhwe’s room. The idea of barging in and surprising Junhwe is very tempting. But as he approaches the door, he couldn’t see soft light seeping underneath it. He stops right in front of it in mild surprise. Is Junhwe asleep already? He did assume his boyfriend would stay up to monitor the broadcast and wait up for him, but…

 

He hesitates first before knocking softly. When there’s no response, he tries again with a louder knock and a call of Junhwe’s name. He sighs when he still hears nothing. Junhwe’s really asleep now, huh?

 

A sense of disappointment and hurt stirs in him but he quickly dashes it away with a shake of his head. There’s still the morning to talk about it, anyway. Besides, Junhwe might have been too tired to stay awake.

 

However, that doesn’t explain the sight that greeted him when he opens the door to his own room.

 

With his mouth slightly agape, Donghyuk slowly steps in and closes the door. Junhwe is on his bed, limbs sprawled all over his previously neatly-done sheets. His red wine bottle sits emptied on the floor, together with some of the magazines that should have been stacked on his desk. Meanwhile, his wine glass isn’t where it’s supposed to be and is now at the coffee table, accompanied by the red variety Pringles he’s been saving for a midnight snack craving. A phone - Junhwe’s phone, is there too.

 

He needs a clear explanation right now.

 

Frowning, he marches towards the bed with the determination to wake Junhwe up by all means, when his phone vibrates in his pocket. He groans and pauses in his steps to take it out, the frown on his lips lessening when Yunhyeong-hyung’s name flashes on the screen. He throws a glare at Junhwe before opening the SMS.

 

“Hanbin and I monitored your broadcast well~ You did a good job Donghyukie!” the message says. He can’t help but smile at that and prepares to send a reply when another message is added to the thread.

 

“Btw June’s still upset so I’ll leave him to you.”

 

Say what?

 

Closing his phone, he lifts up his gaze again to stare at Junhwe. Upset? About what? Was he projecting left over feelings from a movie? Was it writer’s block?

 

… Is it still the radio guesting thing? It shouldn’t be about that since Junhwe said he isn’t bothered anymore.

 

But as Donghyuk contemplates more, it’s the most probable reason why his boyfriend is sleeping in his room with his wine consumed to the very last drop. His suspicions are confirmed when upon taking Junhwe’s phone from his coffee table, he’s greeted with the streaming channel of KBS Radio still opened. The phone’s battery is near death at 9%.

 

Ah, seriously.

 

He still feels irritated but knowing the cause for June’s actions warms his heart a little. Okay, fine. He feels oddly touched that Junhwe monitored his radio show despite still feeling bitter about it. The empty wine bottle and the mess around his room - he can forgive.

 

Sighing heavily to calm himself, he shakes his head and proceeds to clean up his room as quietly as possible.

 

 

--

 

 

Junhwe groans as he struggles to open his eyes. God, his head hurts. He should have just grabbed a couple of Pepsi cans to drink instead of consuming a full bottle of red wine. Now his eyes are playing tricks on him because he sees the ceiling of Donghyuk’s room.

 

… Wait. He is at Donghyuk’s room.

 

Junhwe fully opens his eyes in a snap. , did he fall asleep there? The plan was to lock himself in his own room after the radio broadcast. And where’s Donghyuk?

 

He’s answered when he feels warm breath bouncing on the fabric of his shirt from behind. Gulping, he carefully turns around and feels his heart flutter and his insides twist in guilt when he sees Donghyuk curled up towards him, the edge of the bed just a few inches away.

 

Freaking hell, Koo Junhwe. Good job. Not only did he put his sulking self out in display in his boyfriend’s room, he even stole said boyfriend’s bed and denied him the right for a proper and comfortable sleep after a tiring radio gig. Just wow. Now he’s stuck wanting to pull Donghyuk closer and tuck him in, but not doing so because he screwed up. Again.

 

“Mmm…” And he even disturbed Donghyuk from his sleep. “June…?”

 

He smiles-- tries, because he’s sure the one he’s showing is somewhere in between a smile and a wince. Donghyuk blinks and rubs his eyes, mouth set in a small yet adorable pout. Junhwe can only bite his lower lip to stop himself from swooping down to kiss him.

 

“G-Good morning.”

 

“‘Morning.”

 

“I’m so sorry.”

 

Donghyuk yawns a bit and blinks again. “For what?”

 

Junhwe gulps. “Umm, for falling asleep here. And for the other things I’m sure you already know.” He pauses. “...like your wine.”

 

“Plus my Pringles.” Donghyuk deadpans at him.

 

“T-That too.”

 

“And my magazines. Some of the pages are torn a bit and you doodled on everyone’s pictures except yours.”

 

Junhwe winces again. “I’ll replace them. There’s got to be left over copies in bookstores.”

 

“There’s no need.”

 

He stiffens up when instead of a glare or the start of a scolding, Donghyuk moves to get closer to him; stretching out an arm to wrap around his frame and throwing a leg over his.

 

His boyfriend sighs and levels a look. “I was told you were still upset.”

 

“Y-Yeah…” Looks like Yunhyeong tattled as usual. “Are you… are you angry?”

 

“Do you think I’ll be clinging to you right now if I am?”

 

No. In fact, Donghyuk would have kicked him out in the first place; might even make him buy an expensive wine as compensation. Junhwe cautiously lifts an arm to hug Donghyuk back, and does a mental fist pump when Donghyuk didn’t stop him from doing so.

 

He repeats his apologies again, adding that he honestly didn’t expect to feel so upset about the whole guesting thing. That it was difficult for him to monitor the radio broadcast because all he could think about was wanting to be in Bobby-hyung, or even Katie-noona’s place. Donghyuk tells him he’s being dramatic and for once, especially now with a clearer head, Junhwe fully agrees.

 

“I’ll try to be more level-headed from now on.”

 

“You’ll try.” Donghyuk deadpans at him again; an amused hint in his tone. Junhwe can only give a small sheepish smile.

 

“I’ll try my best.”

 

“You always do.”

 

And finally, there’s that infectious and highly endearing laugh. Junhwe isn’t sure how it’s possible, but he ends up falling even deeper.

 

“Now that we got that out of the way,” Donghyuk maintains a smile as he reaches up to brush stubborn hair strands out of his face. “Tell me your impressions of my first solo radio hosting.”

 

Junhwe blinks at that. Is Donghyuk concerned about that? He should already know. What else is there to say?

 

“You did great. You sounded great. More practice and you’ll completely nail radio hosting.” He grins and pats Donghyuk’s head, letting his fingers play with the hair strands framing his eyes. “And I really love your voice. Anyone would be healed when they hear you talk over the radio.”

 

A soft pink appears on Donghyuk’s cheeks. The sight makes Junhwe grin wider. No longer controlling himself, he leans down for a kiss but Donghyuk is faster than him. A peck is planted on his lips, and then Donghyuk ducks onto his chest while mumbling a “That’s unfair.” Junhwe doesn’t understand what Donghyuk finds unfair but for the sake of not ruining the moment, he stays quiet.

 

That doesn’t mean he won’t be collecting two or three proper kisses, though.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

“You know, a hangover soup cooked by you sounds really nice…”

 

“Breakfast-in-bed for a job well done sounds really nice too.”

 

“...You’re right. Is ramyun okay with you?"