Cute Oversight

All In A Day's Work

 

!!Double Update (1/2)!! Because it's been soooo long. I'm sorry and thank you for waiting T__T

This and the next one are just back-up chapters tbh (to replace the ones I intended to post but couldn't finish) so they're old and the writing style might feel inconsistent with the other chapters. They're also based on old stuff that might be forgotten by now, but I do hope you'll still enjoy reading. ^^;;

Please expect the next chapter to be up in a few hours to the next day.

The basis: Dong's IG photo of a temporary Kanagawa wave tattoo on his arm + June's angry aegyo IG vid with the "I love you" caption (and where Dong replied with "Me too").

In which: Donghyuk "panics" after easily forgetting his promise to be mindful of his Bobby-hyung IG posts.

I recommend my dear readers to please re-read the previous chapter, Bobby Fansite. This chapter's a sequel to it.

 


 

 

Donghyuk may be the level-headed one in his relationship with Junhwe, but he admits he can be quite slow and forgetful sometimes. A usual day for him is often filled with hectic activities, especially if it’s comeback season or if the group is in the middle of preparing for a new album so he won’t be aware of everything. One or two things will be slipped out of his mind, hence the forgotten self-appointed tasks of doing a Vlive for their fans, switching replies between his mom and sister, and mistaking trinket souvenirs for his producer friends.

 

Also, overlooking the fact that Junhwe is less than amused of anything Kim Jiwon-related in his Instagram.

 

That was literally just two weeks ago. Seriously, Donghyuk? Not a month since and he’d already posted a Bobby-associated photo and even playfully bickered with said hyung in the comments. To top it off, he didn’t realize he’d broken his promise to be “mindful” of his IG posts until much later, when Chanwoo and Jinani-hyung had come back from Chanwoo’s opening first pitch gig and remarked how Junhwe hadn’t said anything about Donghyuk’s IG photo of the temporary Kanagawa wave tattoo.

 

“I even screenshotted your post and your comments and sent it to the GC, asking him if he made you mad again.” Chanwoo told him with honest-to-God wonder. “He read it but didn’t reply.”

 

That was enough for Donghyuk to realize the negative impression his IG post might have given to his boyfriend. He’d also found out that the GC Chanwoo mentioned is in fact, a separate group chat Junhwe keeps with the rest of the team to originally ask for relationship advice but had ended up as an outlet to, as a direct-quote by Chanwoo, “aggressively gush”. If Donghyuk isn’t too concerned over possibly making Junhwe annoyed or sad, he would have taken the information as teasing material.

 

Anyway, fast forward to two more hours when everyone’s done with dinner, he’s left with nothing to do but to mull over his oversight while waiting for Junhwe to get home from an iKON TV filming. Bobby-hyung told him not to think too much of it; maybe Junhwe really didn’t mind. After all, they’ve argued over his IG already and concluded SNS posts shouldn’t matter to them. Heck, he’s even the one to assure Junhwe there’s nothing to be worried of.

 

Perhaps it’s the fact that he’d so easily overlooked his promise? Thinking more on it, he could have bantered with Bobby-hyung in private. He could’ve added his selca with Jinhwan-hyung too, since the mat-hyung had sported the same Kanagawa wave tattoo on his cheek. A number of things, he could have done to be mindful of his boyfriend.

 

But he was slow and he forgot, Junhwe hasn't called or texted him all day, hasn’t even replied to his text asking him how he’s doing, and now Donghyuk is starting to fret. Is this how Junhwe felt when it was the other way around? The waiting game isn’t any help too.

 

Even the soft ticking of the wall clock is starting to irritate him. How did Junhwe manage to cope?

 

 

--

 

 

Luck isn’t on Donghyuk’s side because he ended up sleeping for about two to three hours, consequently missing the time Junhwe’s supposed to arrive back at the dorm. It shouldn’t be a problem since they’re just a door apart, but peeking out of his room, he’s greeted with total silence and the dim light from the kitchen the only thing keeping the main area lit. Time to sleep - it meant.

 

Which also means Junhwe is most likely tucked in bed now. A quick glance at the absence of soft light seeping underneath Junhwe’s door confirms it. Donghyuk takes a moment to blame his decision to accompany his fatigue with a glass of wine before resigning himself back to his own room. Tomorrow it is.

 

He doesn’t want to end the day without one last try, though. Will sending a goodnight selca suffice? It doesn’t feel enough.

 

Then he receives an IG notification, Junhwe’s username getting him into alert mode. He rolls on his bed and pushes himself to sit up. He inwardly grumbles about Junhwe being awake after all while he taps the notif to see Junhwe’s post. It’s not a cool pose or a poem about melancholy. Instead, it’s a video clip of Junhwe doing a fake angry aegyo that he finishes with a finger heart and a gorgeous smile. Then the caption. “I love you”, it said.

 

Donghyuk frowns and groans at himself before diving into his sheets to glare at the IG post. , why is Koo Junhwe being so adorable at a time like this? Can Donghyuk take it as a hint that Junhwe’s fine after all? That Donghyuk’s just overthinking?

 

And what’s with that “I love you”? It’s probably for iKONICS but Donghyuk feels a wee bit possessive, especially with that torturously cute IG vid. Couldn’t Junhwe add more at the end of the caption? “Kim Donghyuk” for example.

 

Ah, but he’s in no position to think of selfish things. Donghyuk clicks his tongue and rolls on his back, staring at the ceiling to think of his next move. What will it be? Send him an aegyo vid through KKT? An IG post indirectly answering June’s caption? That will be dangerous though; their managers might give him a warning for “disruption”.

 

He brings his phone up, looking at the caption again. I love you, huh?

 

… Well, if it comes down to it, Donghyuk has only one answer to that.

 

 

--

 

 

He wakes up with the view of Junhwe sitting on his sofa chair with his legs crossed, phone steady towards his direction - an obvious attempt to take a photo of him sleeping. Junhwe immediately noticed though, grinning innocently after making Donghyuk squint with the camera flash.

 

“Morning~!” Junhwe greets. Donghyuk rubs his eyes and sits up, muttering the same greeting but with a questioning undertone. What does this mean?

 

He watches as Junhwe abandons his sofa chair to place himself on his bed, adjusting his position straight away so he’s laying beside him with their bodies as close as possible.“God, filming yesterday was so tiring.” Junhwe says as he lifts his phone to check social media. “I’m happy I spent time with my family but the cameras spoiled the experience a bit.”

 

Donghyuk doesn’t know if Junhwe’s purposely doing this to throw him off. The power vocal’s acting eerily normal (minus the fact that he’s being clingy), but Donghyuk can’t bring himself to do the same. Junhwe starts rambling about the things that happened yesterday, telling him how cute his mom and dad were while lightly dissing his noona. Donghyuk, not sure what to do or say, settles with just listening.

 

He hesitates before bringing a hand to gently brush Junhwe’s locks. Maybe mentioning the IG video clip is a good start.

 

“Still, you looked like you had a lot of fun based on your IG post. You were extra cute.”

 

Junhwe peels his eyes from the phone screen to meet his. “Thanks. Yeah, I really did have fun.” There’s a deliberate pause, and then,

 

“So, your comment. ‘Me too’, huh?”

 

Donghyuk unconsciously tenses up, causing Junhwe to smirk in what seems to be amusement and self-satisfaction. Donghyuk pouts.

 

“Yeah, well.” he pulls his hand back. “You said ‘I love you’. What else should I say?”

 

“That was for our fans though.”

 

“Doesn’t matter.”

 

There’s a sudden shift in the air.

 

Junhwe completely abandons his phone to hold his gaze more. Donghyuk knows the other is contemplating about the topic that’s floating around the air, waiting to be acknowledged.

 

“Then it doesn’t matter too, about… you know.” Junhwe looks at him with no accusation but Donghyuk still winces as his temporary wave tattoo post appears in his mind.

 

His boyfriend smiles a bit. “It’s the reason for your comment, right? I’m fine.” he takes Donghyuk’s hand that’s previously brushing his hair and laces their fingers together. “We’re fine.”

 

Donghyuk doesn’t realize he’s been holding his breath until he lets go of it, sighing in relief.

 

“Really..?”

 

“Really.”

 

“... Are you sure?”

 

Junhwe raises an eyebrow. “Do you want me to throw a tantrum or something?”

 

“No! It’s just unexpected.” Donghyuk laughs. “Thank you June.”

 

“No problem. Don’t expect me to always be this generous though.”

 

He laughs again. Of course, his Junhwe will always be Junhwe - annoying, dramatic, with spells of childishness and selfishness. But that’s perfectly fine for Donghyuk. The imperfect Koo Junhwe is more than enough for the equally imperfect Kim Donghyuk.

 

“Next time, maybe you can make your comment clearer. Like, I get that you’re telling me you love me too but a more accurate choice of words would have been better.”

 

Maybe if you made your caption more specific in the first place, I would have done so.”

 

Junhwe narrows his eyes as a challenge, refusing to snark back but taunts Donghyuk to say more. There’s a playful glint in his eyes though and Donghyuk easily recognizes it. He returns the taunting (flirting) with a subtle raise of his eyebrows and a cocky smirk, to which he expects a snarky quip from his boyfriend again but he doesn't get that. Junhwe clicks his tongue instead, pink on his cheeks.

 

“You little… Can you not do that while I’m trying to hold back here?”

 

Donghyuk blinks at that. He drops the smirk, tilts his head and purses his lips in a confused pout, silently asking Junhwe what he meant. But Junhwe only grunts, mumbles “” in a snappy way, before letting go of his hand to tackle him back to the sheets.

 

Donghyuk still doesn’t quite get it; another area he’s slow at, it seems. It only clicks for him when Junhwe started peppering kisses on his face, making him laugh with Junhwe's “so rude” and “so cute” mumblings.

 

They should really be getting breakfast now (and avoid an irritated manager knocking down on his door) but being a little bit late doesn’t sound too bad this particular morning.

 

.

.

.

 


 

To tell the truth, Junhwe was seething with jealousy.

 

Was he too busy to reply to Donghyuk’s messages? No, he was purposely ignoring them. Was he “fine” with the temporary ocean wave tattoo IG photo and the flirty bantering underneath it? No. He’s as irritated as s expected him to be.

 

At least at first.

 

Then he remembered his argument with Donghyuk about SNS posts, so he decided there’s a better way to respond instead of calling Donghyuk out for his failure to be mindful of him.

 

And so, the message hidden in his IG video clip: “I’m annoyed and jealous but I love you, so I’ll just let it go.”

 

Yes, it’s definitely not for the fans.

 

He wasn’t sure if Donghyuk got it with his fake angry aegyo and the caption (his Donghyukie can be slow sometimes). He was expecting Donghyuk to message him strings of “ㅋㅋㅋ and “kyeopta” too, but he didn't get either of those. Not that getting those messages would make a difference. Would be nice, though.

 

Now, was he surprised Donghyuk commented “Me too”? Of course. Was he touched by it? At the possibility that Donghyuk was actually worried, leading him to comment the reply? Very much so.

 

Did that stop him from taking a dozen photos of Donghyuk sleeping like a weird cocoon with his messy bed head and resting pout as a form of revenge? No, of course not; he’s not a saint. He won't be sharing any of it to the group chat, though. No amount of gushing can justify how cute Donghyuk turned out in the photos so he’ll just keep them for himself.

 

And it’s all good now. They still understand each other well - that’s the most important thing.

 

“You two made up already huh?” Jinhwan asks across the dining table. Bobby, whose busy slurping breakfast corn cereals from his bowl, pauses mid-bite and awkwardly looks up to listen.

 

Junhwe shrugs, grinning when he felt Donghyuk shrug beside him in tandem. “There wasn’t really a fight to make up for.”, Donghyuk says in a tone meant to assure. Bobby takes that as truth (which it is) and goes back to his breakfast.

 

Jinhwan doesn’t seem convinced with the way he’s slowly swirling his chopsticks on his ramyun. “...You’re sure?”

 

“We’re sure. In fact…” Junhwe glances at his boyfriend. “It’s more like than anything.”

 

Bobby chokes on his cereals while Jinhwan stands up from his seat, ramyun bowl in hand as he announces he'd lost his appetite. Junhwe just laughs even when Donghyuk pulls and pinches his ear. His cheeks are adorably red.

 

“I love you.” Junhwe blurts with the same gummy smile he showed in his IG video. Donghyuk sighs and shoves a piece of fried egg into Junhwe’s loud mouth.

 

“Me too, now shut up.”

 

Bobby finally had enough and leaves for the upstairs dorm.

 

.

.

.