Non Compos Mentis

Everything We've Been (HIATUS)

It wasn't enough that Jinyoung had that dream again about the same figure, but that this time the dream was so much more vivid. In the dream he had tripped over a rock and tumbled a short way down a small slant and the figure had walked backwards towards him. He was going to turn around, but before the figure did he woke up to his phone alarm blaring, papers sprawled across the bed, and his head throbbing. He got up only to feel a pain shoot through his whole leg and he thought back to the dream he had where his knee slammed down against the forest floor when he fell and rolled down the small incline in the forest. He cursed as he forced himself up and grabbed his phone off the floor and killed his alarm.

He chucked his phone back down and began to gather himself together for work. It wasn't long before he walked into work and was greeted by the receptionist and made his way straight to his office, whilst greeting everyone who passed, and smiling to make sure he didn't seem like a complete Grinch this morning. He was about to shut his office door when Yugyeom ran up and stopped it with his hand. He looked at the insane boy and tried to slam to push him off; to no avail. He was taller, but his body was smaller, yet he stood firm and unfazed by the push. Jinyoung spent a good hour every other day hitting the gym, so was nowhere near weak at all. He shook his head and decided not to worry about it any further as he tried his best to close the door on him.

"Let me talk to you for just a moment, let me explain last night." he was prying open the door with ease and it left the elder with wide eyes.

He continued to pull it closed, "No! let me work please." The younger let go and Jinyoung slammed it shut in a haste.

If he was hurting in the morning the pain right now in his chest was unbearable. how close Yugyeom's face was to his when he was trying to step inside while the door came closer to closing in on him, was to close, and way to unfamiliar for the older to feel comfortable with. He set his bag a top his desk and found a small little cup of cafe au lait. The steam wafting around the top leting him know it was freshly made and he was quite excited to have a sip of it, he hadn't had a chance to get any before he left, and whoever had made it for him was in for a big hug.

His room door swung open and in came Mark and it all clicked to the elder. He ran up and gave him a tight hug and the boy gave a small cough at the sudden embrace. Mark stood stiff and Jinyoung took that as cue to let go and he looked at the younger with a bubbly smile.

"Thanks for the cup of coffee you made for me." Mark's face was blank, and he seem to have a bit of a lopsided smile on his face.

"I didn't make a cup of coffee, actually your boss's son works the morning shift at the cafe." He looked back at the cup of coffee then back at the younger.

He didn't know if he should feel guilty for shoving him out of the room in the morning, to feel embarassed that he just thanked the wrong person, to be upset about the fact he has more paperwork, or to do all of the above. He opted to awkwardly apologize to the barista as he shooed him out of his office and the lad respected his wish. He left the room, shutting the door behind him, and now the elder sat down with a bit of guilt for the insane Yugyeom. He'd ask for a chance to speak with him and all Jinyoung did was shove him out. That's how he treated him before knowing he had brewed this miracle coffee, but now the chief is more open to let the guy explain last night to him. He wanted an explanation for that insane moment last night, he wanted an explanation for a lot of things recently, but instead more questions keep popping up in his life. It was time to get an answer to something, he thought to himself, and so he left his small office to find the young intern.

Jinyoung walked out of his office and found his way to his Kris's office which was located all the way at the top of the building. He had yet to use the elevator because luckily even though he was one of the top dogs in the corporate latter he was given an office space on the first floor. He walked up and pressed the button and waited till the elevator opened up for him. It wasn't too long till he was up on the third floor of the building staring at his boss's office, he gave a few hard knocks, and the door was opened right after the end of the knock. Yugyeom stand holding the door and Kris was at his desk with a beaming smile.

"Well hello rookie what brings you up here on your second day?" He teased, and the newbie cleared his throat.

"I actuallly need to borrow your son for a moment if that's fine with you?" Kris's eyes seem to lock in on him now and the elder was feeling a bit uncomfortable with the intensity of his stare.

"Go right on ahead." He said with an odd tone, slightly higher pitched, and his eyes stayed locked on the two as they walked out.

The entire way back to Jinyoung's office was silent. The only sound heard in the elevator was the shuffling of Yugyeom's feet and when they finally got to the office and sat down there was a long pause. Jinyoung didn't know what to say as the younger sat in the chair at the other side of his desk. They sat in a tense silence for what seem to be forever until the chief figured out what he wanted to say to the intern.

"Thank you for the cup of coffee." He started and with that Yugyeom's entire face lit up, eyes sparkling, and cheeks a light red.

"No problem, it was the least I could do as an intern." He clutched his clipboard to his chest and kept his gaze towards the floor.

"Now, about last night. What do I not remember?" He looked at the younger who finally brought his gaze up.

He shook his head at the elder, "You'll think I'm crazy if I explain it to you." He got up from the chair and was about to walk out.

"Yugyeom! What do I not remember? I need to know." His heart raced wanting an answer for some odd reason. He had this urge to know what he was missing, what it is the younger knew that he didn't.

The younger sat back down in the chair. "promise me you won't think I'm insane for this?" Jinyoung reached out and grabbed the younger's hand and locked there pinkies together. Yugyeom relaxed as he took out a journal from his laptop carrier that was slung around his shoulder

This is filled with how we've fallen in love over the years. I started keeping track back in 1820, but the last lifetime I never found you. Jinyoung we are meant to be with each other. Everytime we meet there's this connection that we're supposed to feel, this longing, and this urge to be near each other always. That's how I knew it was you when you walked into the office, I can recognize your soul at first glaze, and I know it's you. One time we were both living in in a desert land in Arizona, another life a forest in Puerto rico, and another life I had a sensitive immune system, so I was kept locked away, yet we still fell in love! I know this sounds crazy because you don't remember any of it and I don't know why you don't remember because in the last lifetime we spent together you knew about it. The last lifetime we spent together you were an idol and I was a simple country boy trying to adjust to big city life. You chased me around in the New York streets trying to find me as if I was Cinderella and it caused this big ruckus. Anyways, you think I'm crazy for all this and your soul doesn’t remember mine anymore.

After all that Jinyoung stayed quiet as he wanted to believe him, but it was too far-fetched for him to consider. He wanted to say something, but the boy was already leaving his office thinking that he was insane. The elder didn't think he was insane, he didn't believe what he was saying was true, but the pure pain in his eyes as he explained the memories made him want to believe in it. It wasn't long before the elder decided to distract himself by using all his energy to go through the mounds of paperwork still left on his desk, and the cafe au lait stay on his desk untouched. The notebook full of their lifetimes spent together still on the top of his work desk.

Once the day was almost over he was clearing off his desk and noticed he hadn't even taken a sip of the cafe au lait that was made for him. He sighed as he carried it out with him and dumped the cold coffee into the sink. He turned his head and caught a glimpse of Yugyeom, who was staring at him, and Jinyoung recalled that the younger was the one who had given him the coffee. He hissed at himself realizing that now he just looks like an , but it was just that he couldn't drink cold coffee. He was about to explain himself but the younger ran past him, past the double doors, and out of the building, He rested his head against his palm as he cursed at himself a million different times. He didn't know what the feeling in his chest was, it didn't feel like sadness, or like pain, but it was something uncomfortable. It was as if someone was shoving their elbow into his esophagus, so he just stood there in shock for some time. He looked down at the notebook that the boy had left with him and opened to some random page.

He searched for me all up and down the bustling New York city. It was already sunset when he managed to catch up to me. He was drenched in sweat and still wearing what looked like his performance clothes. He was living as a man named Hoseok and me as pianist named Yoongi. I’d played his accompaniment for one of his songs and I thought he might not have been able to connect with me, but he found me. He knew it was me even if we didn’t glance at one another, us in the same area, and he could feel my presence. I could feel his presence, but I didn’t know who it could be. I knew he was somewhere in New York there was no doubt in my mind that my love was here. When he came pounding against the hotel room door pleading to come in, all I could think was that we’ve found each other once again. I started working as his permemanent pianist and his managers seemed to not like the idea of us being around each other so much, that we'd get caught up in scandals, and that it'd be bad for his image. He was to choose between his career and me after a few years of us working together; he chose me. He nullified his contract and we went to live out our lives silently in Honolulu. I don't know what it is about us, we keep finding each other, and everytime we'll remininsce about who we once were. It's like we've been tied to one another eternally, that this is how fate will always play out, and that our lives will always end with each other...

-1971 New York City

After what seem to be a lifetime he shut the notebook and chucked it into his carrier. He decided to go visit the cafe across the street. When he walked in he was surprised by the decor of Mark's cafe, not that it he didn't think it'd look cool, but because it looked so rebellious. It had this kind of java wood flooring, sleek black bistro chairs, and the front counter had a beautiful open kitchen where you could see them at work! There were three workers, once cashier, one cook, and one barista. The barista and cook doubled as servers and he had quickly read their name tags. One was a tall boy named Tao and the other was a short boy named Jihoon.

"Well, hello spiffy man how can I be of assistance?" He peeked at his name tag and read 'Felix.' which was quite a unique name.

"He'll have a cafe au lait?" Mark waltzed past the doorway that probably led into a secret backroom. Felix and Jinyoung both snapped their focus to him in an instance.

"Hey, boss man have you found me a place to stay yet? I'm dying trying to make ends meet with the hours you give me?" He whined, and Mark just rolled his eyes.

"Can you attend to our customer please?" he handed Jinyoung the cafe au lait and Jinyoung had an idea.

"Hey, Felix I just moved into town maybe we could split the cost of an apartment?" Mark shook his head in disapproval.

"Deal!" Felix danced around until Mark sent him a cold stare and he stiffened right back up.

After a few days they settled with a two-bedroom unit in an apartment complex not far from where the cafe and company. I mean what could go wrong with rooming with a stranger right? JInyoung was saving money, making a friend, and he didn't have to room with the flirtatious Mark. He knew he wouldn't have survived under the pressure. Felix was a pretty neat guy, he made breakfast for the both of them every morning, and their work shifts were almost the same! It made it easier for them to hangout and chill together which was good since they have only been living together for about one full week now?

"Felix, we don't have to go on a picnic are we roommates or boyfriends?" he hissed as we were dragged out of his comfy bed, at the crack of dawn, and on his free day.

"Come on you'll love it!" He grabbed the boys hand dragging him along down hall to get to the elevator.

Now in this moment time froze, because down the hall there was a loud thud, and both boy’s heads turned to look at where the noise had come from. Jinyoung quickly slapped Felix's hand away from his and looked at a poker-faced Yugyeom who'd dropped his metal coffee cup on the floor. He saw redness around the boy's eyes and he could see the start of the water works. His heart felt like it was being wacked by a baton with each passing second and so he stepped towards the younger, but then stepped back.

"Let's go." He walked past him and began to lead the way to the elevator.

"Do you know that guy, bad history, who is he?" The elder turned his headback to see a tear run down his cheek.

"I'm crazy, he's crazy, god this is all crazy." He muttered under his breathe speeding ahead of his new roommate.