Ran Away

Nobody Compares (I Love You the Most)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sojung-ah, wait! Don't go--" Her mother called out, but it was cut off as Sowon dashed to the door, closing it loudly, leaving her sobbing mother inside. 

She had been so occupied and restless these past few days that she needed to get away from everything and everyone even for just the night. She wanted to find peace, amidst everything that happened last week. Sowon was no near to being calm. Her heart was bombarded by everyone surrounding her and she just couldn't also stand seeing her mother in misery. 

 

 

 


And there she goes, driving endlessly to the quiet streets of Seoul, expecting nothing but freedom. And as she was making her way down the road, she suddenly revved up the engine and turned her steering wheel expertly to the left, as if she's into a race. It is because she remembered a specific place. She finally knew where to go. 


Her destination was roughly 45 minutes away from their condo. Sowon was wearing a black pair of skinny jeans, a white t-shirt and a leather jacket, partnered with her favorite black sneakers. She looked comfortable and cool but she totally feels the opposite. Across the street was a convenience store Sowon spotted, she stopped by and looked for something she could buy to help her through the night. Beers. 


After purchasing, she then continued the rest of her drive and finally arriving in a place, somewhere she's only familiar with. Her leather jacket wasn't enough to keep her warm against the cold breeze though. Shaking it off, she settled herself down on a cold sand, the surface of the water in front of her was calm and the slight sound of the waves made her smile, the place was just so enchanting and perfect. The moon was shining so bright that it seemed to capture Sowon's expression but exposing the girl's sadness. But this is where she always ran every time things are getting rough. It was a place near from home but far enough for her thoughts to flow peacefully. It is where she always go to since university but never really told anyone. This is the closest she could ever get to sanity. 

After admiring her favorite spot, Sowon then opened the plastic bag with 3 bottles of soju in it. She's going to drink the night away! Or at least she thought...

 

 


 
Just then, she was interrupted by voices that suddenly filling her mind. It was inaudible and too loud. Abandoning the newly-opened bottle, she tucked her knees together in front with her two hands covering her ears. She was now hardly breathing and scared from the unfamiliar voices she's hearing. She covered her ears strongly as voices were resisting her effort to hear the terrifying and disturbing noise. It was full of buzzing that she started to shake and her hands are now trembling, she wanted to stand but was unable to move. And just things couldn't get any better, the noises got louder and louder. She's grasping too fast and she felt that her chest was beating so hard. Sowon thought she could collapse anytime soon. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


But from out of the blue, a woman passed by at her loudly who's few inches away from her. Unaware ofSowon's presence, she continued walking and was heavily thumping her feet on the cold shore, shouting as she's making her way to the sparkling sea water. 


Meanwhile..without realizing it, Sowon suddenly froze at the sudden entrance of the girl, her breathing now is going back to normal. She obviously got surprised but then let out a deep sigh of relief. She was indeed shocked by the entrance of an unfamiliar person but it was a luck that stole her attention away from the suffocating episode she just had. And from behind, she watches the girl as she was shouting carelessly at the ocean, not minding the peaceful surrounding.


"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH THAT JUST SO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? DO YOU THINK IT'S EASY FOR ME? UUUUGH" The unknown woman, shouting at the top of her lungs. Sowon on the other hand look puzzled. 

The loud girl ended her rant with a deep sigh, surrendering her body to the ground. She was lying down panting from her act, finally realizes how so quiet and calm and comforting the place was. She remained in her position with the moon reflecting her body. A bit far away from her left, Sowon was stuck staring at the girl who just exploded from a possible anger or frustration. She suddenly had the urge to walk straight to her and ask if she's okay. But her body just can't seem to do so, so instead, she let out a soft, yet a visible "yah!" while staring at her knees. She obviously still hasn't fully recovered from her own dilemma. 


Due to the deep silence of the place, Sowon's voice echoed and was heard by the girl she was just staring at, the shorter girl then automatically gazed towards the direction of the voice, a nervous look was now on her face, then quickly, she gathered herself and slowly, cautiously approaching the other girl. She was both a little scared and anxious, Sowon feeling the same. As the distance gets shorter, the reflection from the full moon aided the two to finally take a glance at each other's faces. Both expressions were shocked because no one really thought that another person aside from themselves will still be here in this secluded place at this hour. 


After few seconds of looking at each other, both were naturally comforted by the fact that both seem to be a harmless person. Yerin then broke the silence, sitting down beside Sowon.


"uh,uhm, hello! hihihi Have you been there long?" Yerin asked obviously embarrassed thinking how she wildly shouted just moments ago. 

"Ah, yes, I was here all along. But don't worry.. I did not hear anything." Sowon shaking her head, making Yerin blushed in even more embarrassment. 


"HAHAHAHAHA! You obviously heard it. ugh. I'm so awkward."

But.. are you okay? You seemed uneasy? Are you hurt?"


"Ahh, not really.. I was just trying to stand but my knees got numb so yeah." 


"Ahh, I see. I overheard you from there and thought you might be hurt, but it's good to know you're not. But really, I got a little scared, I thought you're like you know.. at this hour, usually, there's a lot of not so good people." Yerin's innocent knowledge just made Sowon feel sorry. 

"I understand. Sorry 'bout that. But anyway, why are you here? It's quite late already.." 


"That's right, to be honest, I don't really know exactly why I'm here. I ran away from home after my mother and I had an argument, I rode on my motorcycle and before I knew it I am here." Yerin explained. 

Sowon scoffs as she can relate to the shorter girl. 

"hahaha! That's what exactly happened to me too. That's funny!" 


"Oh really? Ahhhhh! So it's your car over there?"


"Yes, it is." 


"That's really funny! 

"So, how about you? What are you doing here? Why did you run away?"
Yerin asked curiously.


"Well.. you know.. we do have stuff at home to deal with and sometimes it's all too much, so we need to cool down. If you know what I mean.." Sowon sounded lousy, making Yerin stare at her. 


She sighed. "Trust me, I know what you mean. I have been feeling that these days and it's so frustrating!" Yerin groaned. 


"I know.. but ..(Trying to avoid fear from thinking too much, Sowon changed the topic).


"...but.. I still can't believe there's someone else here other than me." 


"uh? What do you mean?"

"hahaha! Well, this spot had been special to me, this is where I always go to every time I want to find peace. Safe to say, this is my paradise." Sowon shared. 

Yerin chuckles. "Hmm, the way I see it, it's more of like a hideout?"

"hahaha! Yeah, you can say that.. but it's my favorite place." 

Yerin nodded. "Well, in that case.. mind if I share this place with you tonight?" Yerin asked smiling.

"It's not that I actually own this place, this is government property anyway, so why not?" Sowon smiled back at her.  


Then both of them laughed. 

 

 


Although Yerin had troubles on her own, meeting Sowon tonight was kind of a relief for her. And laughing out loud with a stranger was kind of surreal but refreshing. 

"But you know.. I actually wanna thank you." 

Sowon looked at her confused. "Thank you? What for?"

"I just had a terrible day and talking with someone refreshed me.. so thank you. :) And not to mention, pretending that you did not hear me shouting earlier was good too. Please forget about it?" Yerin asked awkwardly. 


Sowon chuckles. "Okay, I will! But thank you too, this was a different night, having someone here makes this place strangely more peaceful." Sowon said while staring at the water once again.

_______________________________________________
The both of them stayed quiet, individually reflecting their own circumstances. The place has been such a big help soothing their aching emotions.  
 


THE NEXT DAY


"So you're running away again? huh? When will you stop Sojung? You went out last night and now you're back home at 6 p.m? And leaving again? What are you thinking?" 

"Mom, I don't have time for this, I just came home to change my clothes, I have to go.." Sowon said. 


After meeting a stranger last night Sowon spent the rest of the evening inside her car. It seems that going home is not a healthy option as being outside gives her more comfort. 

"Sojung-ah, please don't do this to yourself, I know what you're feeling but please take care of yourself." Her mom begins to cry. 

"I am fine.. I'm sorry mom but I have to leave, I'll be back tomorrow.." 


_________________________________________________________________________

Sowon then went to the parking lot. Just as she was about to open her car door, her phone buzzed with a message from Umji, her cousin.

"Unnie! I'll be up for tonight! So, what time are we meeting up?"
"Great! See you in an hour."
"Alright, by the way, I am bringing a friend of mine, would that be okay?" 
"Yeah, of course, see you then!"


Sowon gripping her phone as she steadied her breathing before taking the driver seat. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter