An Eventful Night

The Royal Maid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finally, it was the morning of the ball. I would've helped set up, but Katelyn and my good friend Aly took over my duties while Jessi helped me get ready.


After doing my hair and makeup, it was finally time to put on the dress. For once, Jessi had no words once she saw me in the dress, all she did was smile and after a couple minutes, she placed a hand on my shoulder and said "Have fun tonight." She put on my work clothes and covered her face like the other girls, and met Katelyn and Aly in the hall the new Prince and Princess would walk down after their marriage and before the ball.


As a guest, I was able to shake hands with the Princes and the Princess as soon as all the guests entered the ball. Prince Youngwon was never the social one, he would usually smile and shake everyone's hands. I've never formally met the Princess before, just once when Prince Youngwon brought her to meet the King and Queen during supper, but she sweetly shook my hand and thanked me for attending. I had to stifle a laugh, if only they knew they thanked a nobody, a member of the staff. Next was the Prince's younger brother Prince Youngjae. I've never spent too much time around the young Prince, as my duties lie with his brother, but his smile seemed sweet. All the staff members who worked with him commented on how he was so unlike his brother and the King, taking after the Queens gentility and social skills. So far, the night was going perfectly.


Until I tripped in front of Prince Youngjae when I was trying to walk over to the food table where I could see my friends and talk to them briefly.


Before I could process what happened, Youngjae grabbed my arms before I hit the floor. "Careful, miss." His voice was sweet like honey. All I could do in my embarrassment was nod and walk away quickly. The one time we properly meet and I can't control the way my feet moved on the floor.


I made a beeline towards the food, where I saw Katelyn, Jessi and Aly ready to serve the guests. "Oh my god." I said, covering my face as Katelyn handed me a drink. "Gabi it's fine." Jessi reassured me, all of my friends preferring my nickname over my real name. "But did you see Prince Youngjae's face when she tripped?" Aly started, "He looked like he was going to throw himself between Gabi and the floor." I could tell that they were smiling even though I couldn't see their mouths. Don't ask, it's a chamber maid thing. "Shut it." I whisper yelled at them. I walked away because it would've seemed far too suspicious to spend a lot of time with the servants instead of other wealthy people.


As the night drew on, I didn't particularly talk to many people, solely because I found it hard to relate to them. They had no empathy and anyone with less money than them was dirt under their feet. I decided the time would be better spent taking a stroll in the garden, a place I loved to spend my free time. I sat on a stone bench and absorbed the quiet beautiful scenery aroun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter