The Reunion

10 Years Later
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: HEY CHINGUS! 

This is the final chapter of this story. I hope you all enjoy it and again thank you so much for all the support you have given me while writing this simple One shot that became a 6-chapter story everyone waited for. 

A Father's unconditional love stays, whatever happens, it won't go away... :)

 

**Imagine Soojung's exhibit set up like this....

10 YEARS LATER FINALE

 

 

AMBER’S POV

 

The night Soojung has been waiting for finally came. Tonight, her photos will be exhibited for the first time here in Seoul. A dream of hers that she thought will not come true.

 

My wife has that amazing talent in Photography. Her eyes are very keen to details and captures heart warming moments with her beloved camera. I do Photography too since we were young, both of us were photographers of the school publication back then in High School. But she, she was truly one of a kind. That is why Vic unnie likes sending her on the field to take photos of events and just random ones that we can publish in the newspaper.

 

She wanted to be a Photo Journalist… that was her dream. She used to send her materials before to different publications in hopes of being featured. Her photos were featured once or thrice in Chosun Ilbo and Korea Times when we were in our last year of High School.

 

But since our life changed, her dream was set aside and she pursued other interests that she turned out to be also good in whatever she does.

 

There were times before that we were really broke, and I was sick. It was winter time, we used up all our savings for my medicine and being hospitalized. She thought of selling her camera, the camera that her Father gave her and she considers as her prized possession just to have money. I told her that don’t she ever sell it or pawn it, I’d rather borrow money from friends than sell that precious thing she loves. We borrowed money from Jackie’s friend and promised her that we will pay immediately, there was some delay in the transmission of money that time coming from our sisters because of the snow storm.  

 

Her favorite subjects are nature and people. Candid moments of people that she will see, family having a nice picnic or just strangers in a beautiful afternoon having a small talk while sitting on a bench. The innocence of kids playing in the grass or anything that will caught her eye. Her forte are Black & White portraits and landscape.

 

The event started at 6:00 in the evening, guests already arrived and being served with Champagne and H’ordeuvres. The mood was very light, not too formal just casual. The DJ’s Booth is being manned by my long time friend and our former school mate Eric, who is now a famous recording artist who moonlights as a DJ.

 

Our friend Kibum or most commonly known as Key, who was also a former school mate, serves as the Event Organizer and is so busy walking around checking if everything is set up perfectly, Champagne and food flowing. Our family came, my Mom and Dad with Jackie flew from L.A. yesterday night just to witness the opening of Soojung’s photo exhibit. Of course our friends, Vic unnie, Luna, and Sulli plus some other guests invited by the Samsung Foundation who is our major sponsor.

 

Soojung and I are waiting for the arrival of Jessica together with little chub-chub, we missed our little boy the whole day because of being busy. Jessica unnie has to send her assistant Chanyeol this late afternoon because little chub-chub’s supply of milk ran out. Good thing we brought the pump with us, Soojung took a break and produced at least two bags of milk for our son then placed it inside the cooler that Chanyeol is carrying. He said the Little Master Chub-chub stayed with his Grandpa Chairman inside his office when he wants to drink milk, then had a tour of the whole Jung Tower after meeting the employees and some Directors of the company. Soojung and I looked at each other, not really knowing how to react on that information.

 

Does it mean Chairman Jung already accepted his Grandson? Did our son managed to convince his cold-hearted and stubborn Grandfather to finally forgive his youngest daughter?

 

 

I will understand if until now, after 10 years… he still can’t accept me as the person who his daughter chose to love and spend her lifetime with, to build a family. We can’t force someone to automatically forget about everything. All Fathers considers the person their daughter will choose to love as their enemies, someone who will take their precious daughter away from them. Chairman Jung loves Soojung so much that he was really heartbroken when Soojung chose me over her family. I know in his mind, I am the bad person. The one who lured her daughter to the dark side.

 

Its actually the opposite.

 

ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ (^________^)

 

All I wish is for him to finally forgive Soojung. Forgive her and treat her again as his daughter, it will make my wife utterly happy because she loves her Father so much.

 

 

 

 

The moment Jessica arrived with our son, she immediately gave him to us and boy… my son is the most handsome and cutest baby in Seoul! He was in a white short sleeve kids' polo with a small bow tie around his neck, khaki shorts, wearing his custom made red Nike baby shoes. Jessica unnie even put suspenders on him to keep hold of his shorts.

 

“How are you little man?! Did you had fun with Aunt Jess today?” I asked little chub-chub while holding him in my arms. Soojung cupped his chubby cheeks and planted a  noisy kiss on his cute little lips with a smile before peppering his face with noisy kisses making chub-chub giggle uncontrollably. She really missed him so badly, I have to bring one of Philippe’s clean shirt earlier so that she will have something to sniff when she misses little chub-chub’s smell. I know, I married a weirdo. Both of us are weirdos kekekeke….

 

Our son answered us by wriggling his body like a worm, giggling while giving us his gummy smile. My Mother in-law came a few minutes after, greeting me and Soojung with a hug then kissing his Grandson who was very ecstatic when he saw Grandma. I took a glance at Soojung while hugging her Mother. She was greeting her but her focus is at the entrance of the exhibit hall… she was waiting for someone to arrive, that 'someone' to enter the door and make his presence known. The Chairman of Samsung is a friend of Chairman Jung, if he will ditch his daughter’s exhibit then its his own decision.

 

Since the special guest that Soojung is waiting for seems to have ditched the event, I gave Key the signal to start the small program of ribbon cutting. We all gathered at the pillar of the entrance for the exhibit, Soojung together with Luna and Sulli (since they are very famous here in Korea), and the Chairman of Samsung Corporation cut the ribbon signaling that the event has started and the exhibit formally opened.

 

Soojung’s subject for her photo exhibit are portraits of strong women who has done everything to break the myth that women can’t do anything. Those women are simple persons she met along the way - in the park, the subway, every place we have visited that she will find interesting and strike a conversation with, letting her know of their story of survival and hard work, how they broke the barriers of ism in their own community or work place. Definitely, Girls can do anything.

 

Their black and white portraits were taken by Soojung with their permission. Every portrait holds a very special life story from each and everyone of them. All 30 women who participated, regardless of race or color, religion and belief. They all share the same sentiment. Under their portrait is a printed excerpt from their conversations that is pasted on the wall.

 

It was that theme that landed her a small article published in the New York Times after a reporter visited her small exhibit in L.A. that we put up for a week. It was a small event, just wanted to show her work to some of our families and friends back there. We didn’t know it will catch the interest of the Samsung head and flew all the way to L.A. just to see her work. The rest is history….

 

But there is a special section that we included which holds a very special place in our hearts.

 

It was our journey to motherhood.

 

From the first week of our fertility process (she said she look like … I told her she doesn’t, because she’s still the most beautiful woman I know even if she has dark circles under her eyes. I got a pillow slap after I said that ㅋㅋㅋ…) up to the transferring of embryos, the two week wait and the day we confirmed her pregnancy (she was rejoicing while I am crying. Not the bad type of crying, I was crying because of happiness. I look stupid while crying and she chose that moment to click the wireless remote of her camera) (--__--'). All of that were captured by Soojung’s lenses but it was me who took some on her behalf. From her first ultrasound (that transducer scared me to death!) up to documenting the growth of her tummy from the first month leading to nine months, her 10-hour labor that got me panicking because her cervix wasn’t dilated enough and at last… the birth of our little chub-chub Philippe. The happiest day of our life… when little chub-chub came into this world.

 

Seeing him that day was too emotional for me, beside Soojung who was gripping on my arm while she was pushing hard. And the sound of his first cry was music to my ears that I burst out crying and laughing especially when the doctor told me to cut his umbilical cord then handed him to me after they wiped away some fluids on his body and wrapped him in a blanket. He was a dream, our dream… that finally came true.

 

It was Soojung’s idea to include that section because she wanted everyone to know that motherhood is a very exciting and thrilling experience, that even if its a very hard road the end will be fruitful. The next journey is for us to make sure our son grows up to be a good person with good values and traits. We don’t want him to experience what his parents had gone through. We want him to be the person who has the freedom in what he chooses in life.

 

There are so many guests who came to the event, some are from the business world and some are celebrities. Lifestyle reporters and photographers from major broadsheets and online news sites came too as special invitation to cover the event. Soojung was giving them a tour while holding little chub-chub in her arms, my son ditching me! He was even kicking me away with his stubby legs when I tried to get him from Soojung because she’s gonna start the tour with the Press people! They were in awe with his cuteness and intelligence, he was sending them all with giggles and his signature gummy smiles that they can’t stop taking his photos with Soojung. He is so used to the cameras now because of his Mommy he knows the right angles ㅋㅋㅋㅋ…

 

 

 

“Amber…”

 

I turned around acknowledging the voice and saw that it was Vic unnie holding two glasses of Champagne. She handed one to me and we made a toast, taking a sip of the bubbly beverage while watching Soojung explaining everything to the Press. “She did great with all of this!” Vic unnie exclaimed with a proud smile on her face.

 

“Yep, she did. All of this is her concept… you know that this has been something she dreams of working on.”

 

“How long did she made all of those portraits? I mean… meeting all of those women?”

 

“Well, some of them are those people we met in Boston when we were still living there and studying. Some we met when we went abroad after we got married that is why there is an Italian there and French, the Chinese and Vietnamese women she met while lurking around Chinatown and Little Saigon in L.A., because she loves eating Pho Hoa. Just random persons…” I smiled at unnie, before turning my gaze around the exhibit hall checking for that person who I wish sneaked in to support his daughter. Sigh… he isn’t here.

 

“Chairman Jung hasn’t arrive Amber… don’t worry, maybe he will come later when the party is over.” Vic unnie said patting my back.

 

“I hope he comes even at the last minute… it will make Soojung very happy. Look at this…” I took out my phone and showed her the images Jessica unnie sent to us earlier. It was a beautiful sight to behold, the powerful Chairman of a conglomerate taking care of his only Grandson.

 

“My, my, my little Philippe sure melted Chairman Jung’s cold heart. This is love in the purest form… how he holds the little guy in his arms.”

 

“Jessica unnie said Philippe looks like Soojung when she was still a baby… I have this thinking that maybe seeing Philippe made him reminisce about his daughter.”

 

 

 

 

The event went on, the three of us posing for a family picture that will be use for the articles that will appear tomorrow in the Lifestyle Section of newspapers. Some online bloggers told me they will post their article tonight after they finish working on it. They enjoyed everything especially the short interview together with little chub-chub.

 

“Am, did you see Jessica unnie?” Soojung asked me while we were changing Philippe’s diapers inside the bathroom.

 

“I think I saw her by the bar earlier… not sure if she’s still there. Why?”

 

“There is someone I like her to meet..” the grin she lets out tells me she’s planning on something.  

 

“Don’t tell me you invited someone for her to meet? You know your sister…”

 

“I know her very much, that’s why I’m trying my best to make her happy.” she finished putting the little guy’s onesie then caressed his rosy cheeks. “Are you sleepy now, chub-chub? Just a little bit more and we are going home baby…” little chub-chub is already his thumb… in just a few minutes he’s going to be sleeping.

 

I took him in my arms and patted his back when he snuggled on my chest, his sweet baby scent filling my senses. “Soojung….”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

I was staring at her watching her expression. She looks sad… even a while ago, she was smiling to everyone but I know behind those smiles are sadness inside her.

 

“Come here…” she sighed and closed the baby bag before wrapping her arms around my waist, the two of us sandwiching little chub-chub. “There is still time left… he will come.”

 

“But what if he doesn’t?”

 

“Then we will give him a visit at Jung Towers early in the morning and pay our respects… if he sends us out then we will try again. Don’t be sad… you know I don’t like seeing you sad. Smile for me baby…” I gave her a bright smile waiting for her response. She gave me a pout, eyebrows knitted. “I said smile not your pout, woman!”

 

Little chub-chub suddenly raises his head from my chest looking at his Mommy, still his thumb looking so cute. “Look at that, your son is waiting for your smile! Come on!”

 

“Mommy po po~ chub-chub~…” as if he understands what his Mommy said, our son took out his thumb from his mouth and patted Soojung’s face before bumping his face on his mother’s nose that made Soojung smile so warmly. He really knows how to make his Mommy smile!

 

“See! Don’t ever take that smile off your face Soojung… you know that its your smile that made me fell head over heels in love with you…” she chuckled at what I said, her face turning red. Aigoo… someone is still shy when I say it. “Tsss…. and still you gave me a hard time! I have to follow you around and bug you all the time just to notice me! When you were already in love with me over our whole Freshman year! I almost gave up did you know that!?”

 

“Yah! I didn’t know, what can I do!? I thought you were just annoying me purposely…” she was always playing pranks on me! SHE EVEN MADE ME EAT WASABI ICE CREAM!!! I thought it was GREEN TEA!

 

“Its because I want you to notice me… you were such a snob back then. Are we really going to talk about our love story here inside the bathroom with your son listening?! Let’s go back to the party!”

 

“i want an Ice Cream Soojung, get one for me!” she just gave me a wink while we follow her outside, Little chub-chub wriggling on my hold and letting out sounds indicating he is liking the atmosphere on the exhibition hall. Soojung called the waiter to ask for some cold treat. We went to the special section and stood in front of Soojung’s black & white portrait holding the 5 day old chub chub in her arms.

 

“Don’t worry little man, when you grow up you’ll also have something like this. That is… if you follow Mommy’s footsteps!”

 

“Ma ma ma ma mama ma!”

 

“Yeah, yeah… you have two Mommies I know! So follow both our footsteps and make your Mommies proud! Understand Philippe Joseph Jung Liu!?-- Ummmmp!” Soojung suddenly shoved a spoonful of Bubble gum Ice Cream inside my mouth silencing me. Little chub-chub enjoying what he has witnessed because he laughed and giggled so loud. Why is this Mother and son enjoys playing on me!?

 

“Yah, you talk too much! Don’t pressure your son… tsss…” a genuine smile adorns my wife’s luscious lips that I can’t help myself but reach for a kiss, her smile still plastered on her face.

 

 

Now where is Jessica unnie…

 

 

JESSICA’S POV

 

 

“Another Martini please…” I hailed on the Bartender and he gave me a nod quickly doing my request. Its already my 4th glass of Martini but I’m still holding on. Strange… I don’t feel drunk at all.

 

The Bartender placed the Martini glass in front of me, I mumbled a thanks before picking up the toothpick piercing a green olive floating on my drink. Always eat the olives first, that is my rule when drinking Martini. Why?

 

Because the salty taste of the green olives makes the drink more enjoyable. It gives me the kick, takes away the taste of the liquor in my tongue. I don’t know about other people but that is what I like, even my snack is a plate of green olives and cheese right now.

 

I’m not making myself drunk, no… I don’t do that in events like this. This is Soojung’s special day, second to her wedding years ago. I just want to drink and make myself forget the harsh realities of life. I feel so miserable…

 

Accepting whole heartedly that I will be alone for the rest of my life. Alone, but successful. Yeah… that will do.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter