Onward IX

The Blue Note

“So... you’re grandfather was your home, and your parents don’t love each other?” Jihyo asked softly, patting my shoulder softly.

“Basically, yes. Actually, no.” She replied painfully, scared that she would burst into tears in any moment.

He was more than that. He was my shelter, my savior, my everything.

Nayeon remembers the time when her grandfather had left the world, only leaving his wealth and a note now filled with tears behind. She sobbed, her eyes flooding with water like the winter rains, never stopping for a second. It’s all she could do, now that the person who mattered to her the most was gone. All she could do was cry, and wish on a miracle for something to happen.

Anything to happen.

Nayeon being desperate for relief was an understatement. She was begging for it. But in the end, there was no one else there except her. Her own broken reflection staring back at her shattered self is all there was to comfort her, however it was only making it worse.

She was so young. How could so much suffering be stacked upon such a small body, such a young soul? It really didn’t make any sense. Everything around her was just a blur, that’s all it could be when the person who amplified the world was now gone. All her problems just kept stacking upon her, with no end, no one to help her, no one to save her. Even her brother was in the same state, but what could she do if she couldn’t even heal herself?

What a bad sister.

How could Nayeon even be considered remotely good if she can’t even help herself? If she can’t even take care of herself, nor her suffering brother? Every insult sent her way was just another reason to kill herself. She couldn’t help it, she could never fight it.

Why should I even be living to only suffer so much?

Nayeon now realized the answer to that question. It’s a simple one too. The only thing she can do is live. There’s nothing else, if she dies what’s even the point of all she did her life?

She remembers the time when she mourned over her grandfather all alone, in the abandoned park that held memories of her past. In the lonely park loved by nobody other than her. The note left by her savior she held was scrunched up by her hands trying their best to release the pain, her eyes like waterfalls losing their grip and over-flooding the land beside it. His death was painful enough; the note even worse. The poor girl would never see him again, that’s what she had to accept.

What Nayeon hadn’t noticed was the girl approaching her from the front.

The stranger looked at the lonely crying girl carefully, even though she couldn’t see her face. Her midnight black hair soaked up due to the previous rain, her clothes clinging to her body. It was obvious that she was in pain, that she couldn’t handle to suffer by it all herself.

The stranger crouched down, reaching down to the level of the pained school girl before gently wrapping her arms around her. She rubbed her back softly, careful to not break the fragile girl.

“It’s okay. I’m here Nayeon.”

All the broken girl could do was cling onto the girl who was above her. Hang onto the girl as if she was the only thing that ever existed. Her sobs amplified against the pouring rain that stabbed their backs, her salty tears running down the strangers shirt, dropping onto the floor to be soaked by the overflooded maroon bricks below them.

She didn’t care if the stranger knew her or not, though clearly the previous statement proved so. She just needed someone, anyone, to hold her, to help her, to make her survive, to make her live once again.

“Thank you.” Nayeon finally whimpered after her eyes failed to release more tears.

The stranger just smiled brightly back at her, her shortly cut hair dripping wet from the rain, while her clothes hung loosely onto her body. She looked round about near Nayeon’s age, maybe a few years younger with that baby face of hers, and those big brown almond eyes that creased as she smiled. A large dimple appeared against her left cheek, softly disappearing as the stranger looked back at her with a dimmer smile.

“I’m Chaeyoung! I’m eight years old, and I come from the Jung district of Daegu!” She smiled brightly once again, holding her hand for the other girl to take.

Nayeon sniffled, taking the shorter girl’s hand into her own, clasping onto them tightly.

“I’m Im Nayeon. I come from the Gangdong district.” She croaked as her voice was sick from shedding tears.

The younger girl just stared back at her, the smile never fading of her kid-like face.

“Nayeon. What a nice name.” Chaeyoung whispered against the wind.

That was where Chaeyoung had learned about her past, her secrets, the dark places that were hidden in a tightly locked chamber in the corners of her mind. She never wanted to remember, but here she was reliving those memories.

The short girl promised with her life to never even utter a word of Nayeon’s past, keeping it locked within her just as Nayeon had. She didn’t want others to think of her as a suffering child, a broken child that couldn’t heal herself, even though clearly that was true.

“So you met Chaeyoung before all of us?” The youngest of all the eight had asked.

“Yeah.” They both simultaneously replied, nodding their heads gently.

Afraid to break the poor girl with the wrong words, they all sat in silence waiting for nothing. Sana hugged the oldest girl once again, suggesting that all eight of them sleep together just for one day.

They all got ready, Momo and Sana sleeping on the convertible couch bed, one of the closest pairs in the house. Tzuyu, Chaeyoung and Mina all slept peacefully in another guest room that bordered Nayeon’s, where Dahyun, Nayeon and Jihyo were getting ready to sleep.

None of them even dared to utter words, all having nothing to say. The atmosphere wasn’t exactly awkward, but more of a confusingly relaxing type. Strangely, that suited the mood.

Finally, after a long wait, the youngest of the room had the courage to open and utter a ‘goodnight’.

Nayeon nodded back at her. “Goodnight Dahyun and Jihyo.”

The logical leader smiled warmly back at the two of them, flicking the lights off to be enveloped by the black darkness.

“Goodnight to you all. Especially you Nayeon.” With that, they all slowly fell asleep.

=========================================================

guys  the note her grandfather gave is not the blue note.

Hey guys! Sorry for the absence, I had tests going on. I guess I really don’t have anything other to say.

Make sure to wear your seatbelt. Um.... yeah.

Anyways, I have this weird question, but if any of you answer I’d be really happy. Are you guys for or against the death penalty? And why?

... Personal Pages
————————————————————————————————————