Oxygen VIII

The Blue Note

“Hey Nayeon-ah. Let’s go play outside!” Jackson, her ten year old brother jumped excitedly while squealing.

I wish I could see you more like this.  

Her grandfather laughed as Jackson tried to moonwalk, tripping right over his legs, falling straight into the shining brown sand-pit of the abandoned park. Nayeon entered the laughing too, throwing her head back as Jackson popped right out with body covered in the crystal like substances. He laughed too after the older girl passed him the mirror to see his hysterical self.

I wish I could still enjoy time like this.

—-

The fading colors consumed the scenery, her grandfather watching as Nayeon and Jackson dipped their feet into the soft waves crashing upon the sandy brown shore. The pilled rocks that were nearby them gave Nayeon a fantastic idea.

“Let’s go rock climbing Harabuji!” Nayeon shouted towards her old grandfather who was walking slowly towards the two kids.

“Ahh, Nayeon, you two go without me. I’m too tired.” He smiled softly, placing himself on the sand below him.

“No! Never! We’ll not go without you, please?” Both Nayeon and Jackson dropped down on their knees, begging, ignoring the fact that their clothes were now covered in sand.

The wrinkly man laughed loudly, before coughing softly and standing up. “Yeah you’re right! This man can’t be defeated!” He slowly jogged towards the rocks, Nayeon and her younger brother following, jumping joyfully and spinning around with their grandfather.

“That’s the spirit old man!” Jackson shouted over the strong wind, grabbing both of the elder’s hands and dragging them up each rock, careful not to loose footing.

“Who the hell said I’m old, young child?” The grandfather said, jokingly smacking the back head of the short child.

The youngest of them all shook his head, smiling playfully at the older man. Nayeon watched silently, overjoyed that they got to spent time again. Jackson’s eyes lit up, drowning within the beautiful sunset infront of him. They all sat down on the biggest rock that was half submerged into the sea, the salty water below them reflecting the rays of the sun.

I can never forget this.

Nayeon took her phone out of her pocket, taking a picture of the two most important people in her life both staring at the sun like it was their only source of light in a dark empty world.

Like it was the only thing that existed.

The soft shutter that the phone emitted was enough to send both men out of their daze towards the blood orange sun that was entering the waters in the far horizon. They both faced Nayeon and gave her a questioning look.

“You both looked so nice against the light from the sun, I just had to.” Nayeon explained sheepishly, shy from the sudden revelation.

“Let’s take a picture all together!” Her grandfather happily suggested, smiling brightly while taking the school girl’s phone right out of her hand. The older man rested the phone against a rock that was supported by the one they sat on. He put up the timer, the soft ticks counting down the seconds before the picture would click.

They all smiled brightly, the sunset behind them creating a soft halo effect on them. Nayeon shut down her phone afterwards, placing the phone back in the big pockets of her black sweatpants.

I never realized how important that picture would be until now.

All of those were now just distant memories. But at the same time, they were way more than just memories. They were the times of her happiness, the time where she was carefree, the time where she actually had a family.

And look where I am now.

Nayeon smiled painfully, looking up to see the shocked faces of her friends, a few of them crying at the story. At her story.

Sana, who was crying profusely, ran to hug the pained girl, the girl who had been suffering her whole life.

“I can’t believe you went through all of that.” Sana whimpered, sobs filling as she dug her head to the crook of the older girl.

The older girl only smiled pitifully back at her.

“I can’t either.”

=========================================================

Welp, there’s another insight on Nayeon’s past. I hope I’m not boring you, if I am just tell and I’ll wrap it up as fast as I can. Or not. I don’t know really.

I just feel that in most stories that I read, I don’t know the characters properly, thus the story can’t have much of an impact on me. You get me? (Unless there was something in the storyline that required you not to know the characters well). So, I want you guys to sit back and learn about Nayeon, her past, her goals, basically herself. So you get to know her better.

The only person you won’t know anything about is the stranger.

I guess that’s all I need to really say, and maybe that I’ll be sorry in some of the later chapters. You’ll see why I’m apologizing.

... PersonalPages