A Path Of Least Resistance

Tick Tack




Disclaimer: I do not know the boys, and I haven't the slightest clue as to what  their nightly habits are like. This is pure fictional and meant to entertain.
Pairing: All/Kevin
Rating: PG-13 for this chapter.
AN: English is not my mother tongue, so I apologize for all the mistakes that are in the story.
Warning: I was forgeting this important part: This story contains boy love... kind of, so if it's not your cup of tea, you can go back now :)

These were supposed to be two chapters, I ended up putting all into one, because they seemed to be so short, and when I'm reading story that I like I don't like short chapters, so I tried to made this a little bit longer, than it originally was.
One more thing, I might've been getting the timeline all wrong, but it was needed for this chapter; I'm not sure when Eli hurt his arm, but I needed the plot, so please, bear with me.

Please review ^^








When they got there, they went straight up to Kibum's floor still in complete silence, but less urgently; the former UKiss member helping Kevin along the way. Finally they entered the apartment, and Kibum locked the door, with locks Kevin didn't even knew he had.

"There, it's closed...not that it will help us much if they decide to look here for you. But it's something." Was the first words coming out of Kibum's mouth, breaking the silence like crystal.

Kevin, who had already sat in the couch, laying his head back and closing his eyes, opened them again and turned to look at his friend. The implication of that statement hadn't gone unnoticed by him.

"So you know." It was supposed to be a question, trying to instigate how much Kibum knew, but had come out as a confirmation. You didn't spend so many years with one person and not get to know them entirely. Kibum and Kevin knew each other through and through.

That's how Kevin knew that Kibum knew, so his nod didn't came as much of a surprise as he had first thought it would.

"I found out a few months before I left" He said walking towards his friend and taking a seat next to him.
"So maybe you would be able to share some insight." Said Kevin, not sure what to do with this new piece of information. Or where it would go from there. "What did you..?"

Kibum sighed passing a hand through his long hair.

"When Eli broke his arm, remember?" He asked, and Kevin could place the exact moment his friend had hurt like that, it had been really difficult for someone as independent as Eli to suddenly find himself relying on everyone else, it had been some rough days, but as always the rapper had come around, and even sooner than Kevin thought, he had gotten better. He nodded, Kibum continued " One night, when we were staying in the same hotel... I kinda find him glued to you..."

He finished looking apologetically at his friend, who was about to burst into a random flow of angry words, much of them wouldn't make sense because Kevin was feeling really betrayed...and left out. Kibum raised his arms in an appeasing gesture.

"It shocked me too, alright? I tried to run out of there as fast as I could, but then I remembered you were still there and that I'd be leaving you alone with them, so I turned back. That's when all of them cornered me"

"And then?" Kevin asked, through clenched teeth, letting his anger out slowly, so Kibum knew he wasn't off the hook yet, but containing it, so his friend could continue.
"They told me the whole thing, I wouldn't have believed them, if it wasn't for the fact that I had found out Eli feeding from you..."

"I'm about to throw up." Muttered Kevin, resting his head in the couch, and covering his eyes with both hands. "Did they threat you? I would have expected you told me something, you know. A hint would have sufficed"

Kibum flinched, but nodded non the less.

"I know, but Soohyun asked me not to tell you anything. He said you weren't ready for that kind of information, I told him that you weren't that stupid, and would found out eventually by yourself, which it would be worst"

Kevin narrowed his eyes at Kibum.

"I"ll let by the fact that you're calling me stupid, Kim Kibum. Why did you let them keep on doing that to me?"

"Soohyun explained many things, said they didn't actually did it everynight, but what I had seen was a special case. It seemed Eli needed your blood to heal quicker" He said looking guiltily at Kevin "And there wasn't anything I could do! I couldn't go around screaming at the top of my lungs that you and I were living with a bunch of bloodsuckers, nobody would believe me, but most important, they are my friends too, no matter what they are, they had always been there for us, and I couldn't do that to them"

Kevin nodded feeling somewhat more calmed, Kibum shared his feelings too, so he couldn't be in the wrong way.

"Do you believe them, then?" Kevin asked, with a lump in his throat, remembering what Cheundoong had gone through with the MBLAQ members.
"You have to ask? It was pretty clear to me what they really were after that night, I really never gave it a second thought." Kibum said looking quizzically at Kevin, then understanding came down on him "You don't think it to be true, do you?"

His words were laced with a little reproach, Kevin noted, as if Kibum knew how much Kevin was in denial.

~Because I'm in denial  for something that shouldn't be happening, something that can't be real by all means.~

But he was straying away from that path of thought as each piece started to fall into place, and he knew it wouldn't be long before he'd had to accept it. And deal with it.

"I heard Eli's and Kiseop's heart beating, hyung..." He said barely in a whisper, closing his eyes and remembering that moment the night before, when he had slept in the rapper's arms, lulled to sleep by the rhythmic and melodious beat of his heart. One last attempt to hold onto some kind of resemblance to sanity.

Their living hearts.

"I don't know, Vin. I'm pretty sure of what I saw, and everything Soonhyun told me. They weren't lying; besides we haven't that much to go by. It's not like we can google it and find a manual about vampires on Internet. At least not a trustful one. There might be any number of things we don't know about them. We have seen them eat and sleep, and Ann Rice never mentioned those kind of habits. I've read all the books."

Kibum let his words sink in slowly, he knew Kevin, and he knew his friend always felt safer on the logic and scientific side of things, this wasn't going to be easy for him to accept, but if his friend was to make a decision, he had to understand, and lay aside his skepticism. He took Kevin's hand in his and squeezed it, reassuringly.

"When I left, I made him promise me that they would take care of you, and wouldn't do anything against your human nature." Kevin smiled at his friend, a smile that not quiet reached his eyes.

"And Alexander? Did he knew too?" He asked.

"He had to. Otherwise he might've been living eternally and not knowing why." Answered Kibum, flinching at Kevin's whimper of distress.

"He's like them, doesn't he?" He asked, voice quivering at the realization of how much he didn't actually knew about his so called friends.

 "Tell me what happened? How come you found out?" Kibum asked, deciding to change the topic.

And Kevin started recapitulating how he had come to this point. Kibum listened in almost complete silence, uttering a few sounds of understanding, and asking some questions here and there. By the time Kevin had ended, the sun had gone to rest for almost two hours, and then there was only silence.

"Why us, Kibum? Why not to turn us when they got the chance? That's how Seungho did it with Cheundoong." Finally said Kevin, and Kibum looked at him simpathetically.

"You will have to ask Soohyun or Eli for that, I think they are the older ones, they sure as hell act as a pair of old people sometimes, anyway." After a long pause, he realized there wasn't anything more they could do for now, so he stood up "You should get some rest, and definitely you are staying here, at least until you decide what to do. We'll take my room, Hyunjoon is out of the country making half of the world happy, but I think we both need the company."

He had offered something to eat, but Kevin had refused, not feeling in the slightlest hungry, even after having spent the whole day with just pancakes on his stomach.

They made their way towards Kibum bedroom, after rechecking the doors. And as they were lying beneath the covers, both looking up at the ceiling as if it held the answers to their own personal dilemmas, Kevin asked.

"What do I do now, Kibum?" This was the question he was dreading for; everything in his nature of Kevin's big brother commanded him to tell the other boy to step away, leave them, and never turn back. But hearing his voice, drenched in so much sadness and confusion, it made Kibum hurt alongside his friend, making him keep a tight reign on his instincts.

"I don't know Vin... I left" He said, and looked away from Kevin's confused and questioning gaze "I ended up leaving, because as much as I love them... I couldn't come to terms with what they were. I just... I couldn't accept them." He finished in a whisper.

He didn't expect that his answer was what Kevin was looking for or what he needed, but he wanted his friend to know the truth behind his actions at that time, and that it always was a path of least resistance in life. A second option, easier to do and hard to deal with, but he wouldn't be alone.

He would help Kevin to carry the guilt, he would teach him how to bear with it, as he had done.

They both fell asleep next to each other, bathed in the silence that followed Kibum's last words, and covered in the dark of the night. And still, with their own troubled minds as company.



Kevin felt the movement before he heard the noise.

Kibum's long form, that until then had been still, wrapped around his own body, started stirring, that's what had woken him at first. His friend rubbed a hand on Kevin's back, sensing him starting to wake up, coaxing him once more to sleep. He had almost drift back once more and then...

More noise.

Kibum got up from the bed, between whispered curses made his way outside the room. And that's when Kevin heard it too.

He must have been more tired than he had thought, because the current pounding on Kibum's door was almost strong enough to bring the door down, and he hadn't heard it.

He jumped off the bed, trying to follow Kibum's steps quickly, Kevin was having a bad feeling; the clock in the hallway pointed 1 am, barely two hours since they had left to bed, and by the hour, Kevin knew that on the other side of the door could only be problems, it was unlikely that some kind of salesman would be there trying to make Kibum buy something, even as an easy buyer as his friend was.

He reached Kibum almost at the door, walking slowly and silently, when his friend lifted a finger and placed it over his own lips, signaling him to keep quiet.

The pounding stopped.

Kibum and Kevin turned to look a each other, a question on their eyes, that both expected the other one to be able to answer it, when the sudden voice on the other side of the door startled them.

"I can smell you in there. So you better open up if you do care about keeping the decorations as they are right now."

Kevin closed his eyes, whispering a curse.

Jaesob. Of all of them, Kevin had been expecting they would send strong-on-the-outside-but-soft-on-the-inside Eli, or soothing-leader Soonhyun, although, he would have liked better funny Kiseop, after leaving the way he had left, he would have preferred the one who would go easy on him. Not Jaesob. Of all of them, they had send the one he had the least affinity with. 

 "Now Kevin, we don't have all night."

The singer took a step away from the door at the imperative voice, looking at it as if would bite him in any moment. It wasn't fear what was making him retreat from the door, but the fact that until then, with just Kibum, and far from his friends, he felt safe, and not rushed into any haste decisions. He didn't have to make one, he didn't have to face what was going on and how it could change what they had.

What he was.

He turned to look at Kibum and shook his head, he couldn't face it, not yet, and certainly not with Jaesob. The man had always meant trouble and a mystery attraction he couldn't explain to himself, he didn't need something like that at the moment; but above all, he didn't want to face Jaesob's anger at having left them like that. The man reminded him too much of Lee Joon, a creepy resemblance that Kevin DID fear; now that he though about it, and after facing the wrath of one of them two times, he didn't want to find out that of the other.

Kibum nodded, not a trace of question or doubt on his eyes.

"I'll take him to the dorm tomorrow, A.J. Go home, we'll see each other in the morning. Ok?" Kibum finished, taking a step away from the door. For a few minutes there was only silence, still, both boys knew A.J was still there.

"Let's go Kevin, you know I don't like to repeat myself. I'm taking you home, tonight" He said, brusquely turning the knob, which almost gave in, and completely ignoring Kibum. "We don't have to make a scene for something really simple"

The tone of threat hiding under his voice, didn't go unnoticed by Kibum and Kevin. Both singers turned to look at each other, once again, one looking for a way out, and the other trying to take the courage needed and do what it was the best. Face things deadly on, like Cheundoong had said.

It wasn't like he had that much of an option now.

Kevin reached for the knob aiming to open the door, when a hand grabbed his wrist.

"You don't have to go anywhere with him. He can do anything here. It's a building full of people, a public place, he won't take that risk" He said, trying to sound secure, to give Kevin the assurance he needed to take his time.

"Kevin-ah... I give you my word, my intentions are not bad, just... just let me take you home tonight, you can all you want at me later... Just this once, listen to me."

Just hearing the first phrase, Kevin knew how much it had take for Jaesob to say that, and to talk in that way, how important it really was.

And there was something else there, like a sense of urging in his voice, a hint of desperation, that Kevin had never associated with Jaesob, and it worried him. Because the rapper rarely showed his feelings, at least to Kevin, who had always seen the mockery side of him.

He had left in the midst of a fight between goon-Joon and his friends, without looking back. What if..?

He took a deep breath, and shook his head at Kibum while opening the door, evading one last attempt of this one to stop him.

"Is everyone alright?" Was the first thing he asked, at facing Jaesob on the other side. The rapper looked pretty much as always, but in his eyes was the trace of urgency that Kevin had heard in his voice... and something akin to fear. But Kevin could be wrong, had to be wrong. There was nothing there for Jaesob to be afraid of.

"Just sick worried about you, but other than that, they are all fine." He answered locking eyes with Kevin, and reached for the singer's hand, only to have his own hand batted away by the other occupant of the room

"No. If he's going with you, let it be his own decision, and not some kind of touchy groggy induced obedience." Jaesob looked at Kibum with little surprise showing on his face, that was soon hided 
"Soonhyun told you, I'm taking. You're right, I won't touch him until we're out of here."
Jaesob raised his arms, in a pacific gesture. Kevin opened his eyes wide, understanding coming down on him like a blast of cold water.

"I knew there was something wrong whenever any of you touched me!!" Kibum flinched at his friends explosion, A.J remained stoic. "Has everything I've done your making, or did I get to make a choice every now and then?!"

At the singer's accusation, Jaesob reacted, punching the wall beside him, patience becoming thinner with each passing moment, and locked eyes with a startled Kevin.

"We may have lied to you, but it was for the best, you couldn't handle the truth, as it is clear now. But lying to protect is one thing, Kevin, and manipulating to get something is other completely different, and you know us enough to know we're not that low" He said almost hissing.

"As if we ever really knew each other." And just as the words had left his mouth, Kevin felt the guilt hit him, only aggravated by the fleeting hurtful expression that crossed Jaesob's face. 

But it was too late.
And he was far too angered.

Kevin had to look up to see Jaesob, and that single fact always intimidated him, but now having to face the rapper's ire, things where more difficult even. Still Kevin didn't back down, he had his own share of anger too. Jaesob took a step backwards looking through the hallway, and then breathing deeply, running a hand through his hair, he turned to look at Kibum.

"Changsun is not far from here, you cannot protect him, but I can, and every passing moment is another chance lost for him. Do you want that?"

To Kevin's amazement, Kibum growled, actually growled, looking down for a moment as in thought, he clenched his fists, knuckles turning white. "Damnit." He whispered, and then turning to Kevin.

"You have to go. I may not like it, and certainly, this wouldn't be how I would've done things, but he's right. If the mad vampire is on the lose and on your trail, you'll be safer with him...for the moment." Kibum finished looking directly into Kevin's eyes to let him know he wouldn't be left alone.
"If he's really coming here, what about you? Wouldn't you be in danger?" Kevin asked, looking at Jaesob for some kind of answer.

"No. Changsun is coming for you. He will know if you're not here, and proceed to pursue your scent. He will leave Kibum alone, he's not the type that loses time taking hostages." Said Jaesob, and to Kevin utter and unexpected amazement, Kibum nodded.

Kevin let out a exasperated sigh, but in Kibum's eyes he had also seen no room for arguing, and he had never questioned his friend's decisions, always following them blindly like a little brother would do; he could do this now too. He would go along for now.

"Fine. But either, all of you explain to me once we're home, or I'll leave UKiss for good." he said turning around to go for his jacket.

"Leave it" Said Jaesob from the doorway, as if reading his thoughts and his anxiety showing more and more. "Take mine, I don't need it anyway."

He stepped aside, making room for Kevin to walk beside him, already shedding the offered garment and handing it to Kevin, who took it with a not so much hidden frown. The singer turned to Kibum and smiled softly, erasing the anger from his features for his friend, hugging him and whispering a soft thank you in Kibum's ear, he put his shoes on, and stood up beside Jaesob, who immediately started walking in the direction of the elevator.

"Call me tomorrow, so I know your fine. And Jaesob?" The rapper halfway turned to look at Kibum. "If he doesn't communicate with me by midday, I'll make sure to tell everyone that cares to listen about you, so tell Soonhyun to better not put up one of his stupid stunts, and try to hide him from me again."

Jaesob locked gazes with Kibum, there was a brief instant when they seemed to be trying to read the other one, and how trustful they could be. Finally the rapper nodded shortly, before leaving the apartment, Kevin walking alongside him.