First Tries & Butterflies

Blood & Beignets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yoongi?"

 

Hoseok was actually shocked to see the blonde baker at his apartment doorstep this early in the evening. Yoongi still looked ruffled as usual--might as well call it his trademark at this point--but his eyes held a resolution that shone brighter than his work ambition. He could sense it. Within the baker's hands was a tiny white box with the MiniMini logo on its top. "Can I come in?" Yoongi asked, his voice sounding rougher than usual. 

"O-Of course! Please!" The assassin's voice shuddered in an unwanted nervousness as he stepped to the side to let his friend--target in. As Yoongi made his way inside, Hoseok started to mentally chastise himself, subconsciously laying his fingers around the girth of his throat in scolding himself for stuttering in front of his own boss--target. He began to wonder why Yoongi had come to his apartment for the first time, but then he recalled that this wasn't the first time; he had invited him and the others over for the first time this past weekend for a party of sorts, where dinner was cooked and alcohol was shared. 

He remembered greeting Yoongi at the door, greeting him with flushed cheeks and a playful disposition.

But that was all he could remember.

Pushing intruding thoughts away, Hoseok decided to tend to Yoongi as he led him over to the sofa in the living room, situating themselves by putting just a bit of distance between each other so as to not make the other comfortable. The red-head's eyes trailed over to the box from MiniMini that Yoongi had brought. "What's that?" he uttered the simple question.

"Oh." Yoongi also eyed the box in response to Hoseok's question. "I personally made a Serendipity Delight for you. You didn't come to work today, and you didn't even send me a single message letting me know that you wouldn't. I thought you were sick, so I decided to make you something that could make you feel better, I guess." He took the white box and gently handed it over to Hoseok, who took it without making contact with any of the baker's fingers during the exchange.

Hoseok opened the box and, as Yoongi had explained, laid eyes upon a beautifully-crafted Serendipity Delight within a transparent ramekin that could only have been made out of glass; as he carefully took out the treat, he could see the certain layers of the baker's sentimental dessert laid out like a blueprint to the most complex office skyscraper. Macaron cream rested atop a chocolate cookie crumble at the bottom, followed by the fluffy chocolate cake hiding luscious, melted chocolate for the majority; the familiar yellow buttercream frosting was precisely decorated with a galaxy macaron crumble--the dessert still remained the same from the first time Hoseok had tried it after his job interview with the baker.

Despite such a brilliant craft before him, the assassin couldn't help but feel his heart submerge within a void of sudden sadness. This was the dessert that held even more precious memories for the baker, for him and current K-pop sensation Park Jimin; the dessert that the pair had created together when Yoongi was lacking in ideas of how to make it even better. This was the dessert that had bonded the two more strongly as Jimin had convinced the older into pursuing the art of baking for a career in the first place.

He sank even further when he realized the ever-present guilt that came back to haunt him as it had done earlier in the day, right before he was briefed by Bang Si-Hyuk. To think that Min Yoongi, his 'boss', his 'acquaintance', his target, had created this subject of edible pulchritude just for him, the now-anxious man under the guise of a sickly being, the informant acting as a helping friend,

the assassin posing as a fake waiter.

Eyes trembling with realization of his recent actions, Hoseok merely took the spoon that was also in the bag to dig into the dessert, and he ended up crushing through galaxy macaron crumbs and chocolate cake to reach towards the center for that melted chocolate. The scoop went upwards toward his mouth, past his lips, until the combination reached his taste buds, and he wanted to puke right then and there. The sweet taste of the dessert gave him too much, overwhelmed him with feelings that he shouldn't be feeling, forced him to recall memories of other times of sweetness and friendship that he shared with the baker--

--making him mindlessly place the dessert upon the coffee table in front of him, deciding that he was finished after one bite. "Hyung," Hoseok began to speak, "you really didn't have to do this for me."

"What?" Yoongi scoffed beside him. "No, it's all right. I had to repay you--you took care of me when I was sick, so it's only fair if I do the same for you."

"I don't feel like eating." A moment of silence passed when the assassin realized what he said. "No, it's not that I didn't like the Serendipity Delight, it's just that...being sick just made me lose my appetite. My taste buds don't work well at the moment." Lie after lie spurted out of his mouth, but he was unstoppable at this point. Technically, he was only partially lying. He still felt sick.

"You want me to put it in your fridge for now, then?" Yoongi offered.

"Yes, please. Thanks."

Silence continued to fill the air as the baker had stood up and had taken the cake into his hands once more, bringing it to the standard fridge that Hoseok had in his kitchen. When Yoongi had returned, the red-head remembered that MiniMini didn't close for another hour; it was just past seven in the evening. "Doesn't MiniMini close in another hour? Why are you here instead of finishing up at work?" Hoseok curiously pressed as the baker sat himself down once more.

Why did the target want to waste time with the assassin, anyway?

"What, so I can't be worried about you?" Yoongi sarcastically mused. "I can't visit you to check up on your well-being?"

The slight rise in volume just at the end of Yoongi's question wasn't able to restrain Hoseok from acting in accord with the former's growing annoyance. "You know," he cackled sardonically, "I don't get it. We've only known each other for a few weeks or so, and here you are treating me, your employee at that, with such compassion and kindness. Do you do this with every single person who works at MiniMini? What

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter