Chapter Eight: Sweet-Pea

Transient
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo’s eyes shake in disbelief at the absent space where Jongin had once sat. He began to wonder if Jongin had changed his mind about all this. Perhaps he had decided it wasn’t worth entertaining a poor orphan kid with a farfetched story and finally left town. Anything would make more sense than what’s been going on since Jongin showed up.
    Kyungsoo leans into the handlebars, gripping tight as his emotions weigh his mind. He couldn’t quite understand why he was getting worked up over someone he barely knew. Kyungsoo closed his eyes and imagined Jongin for a moment. His eyes settle on Kyungsoo’s face and his lips part to form a soft smile. Kyungsoo wanted to know what was on the other’s mind when he looked at him like that. Who did he see that made him smile like that?
    He lets out a groan, pushing back his hair with his hand then feeling the cold metal of his watch brush his forehead.  He glances at the time, not realizing that he’d wasted 10 minutes standing at the station.
    “Ah! Work!”
    Kyungsoo starts running along the road with his bicycle beside him. His shoes kick up water as he picks up speed, disappearing around the curve of the road and the camouflage of swaying trees. 
                                                                                                                                      —
    Kyungsoo tosses his bicycle up against a wall in the back lot of Escor’s Building and ducks under the edge of the roof for shelter. He checks his appearance in the glass of the door, ruffling his wet hair with his scarf. Kyungsoo collects himself and enters the building. He strips his coat and scarf from his body and hangs it on the rack. 
    “Morning, Veronica.”  
Veronica removes her headset and hands Kyungsoo is time card. 
    “Running late today, Mr. Yoo?”
    “Unfortunately it appears to be one of those days.”
    “Mr. Kim is in a meeting for the next hour, but know he’s expecting you.”
    “Expecting me?”
    As Kyungsoo slides his card back, Veronica places a folded note on the counter.
    “I was told to give you this when yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter